Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
My brother used that picture and posted my phone number on craigslist-giving away free ManBearPig cubs. I had a phone call every 15 minutes until I left work on lunch break and changed my number.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wife is going to be pissed.....

$50 more of 5lbs purple, 3lbs light purple, and 3lbs clear fire-pit glass crystals are on their way.  
View Quote
You might be able to fracture glass into looking like crystal formations...

You might be able to heat the glass up getting it real hot then drop it into water to let it rapidly cool and fracture.

WATCH THE HELL OUT FOR SHATTERING/EXPLODING PRINCE RUPERT'S DROP.   Google it.

But tiny bits of fractured glass might be able to be turned into the crystal like looking inner surface of a geode.    Sharp edges could maybe be knocked off with a rotary tumbler/rock polisher.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My brother used that picture and posted my phone number on craigslist-giving away free ManBearPig cubs. I had a phone call every 15 minutes until I left work on lunch break and changed my number.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's awesome.

I'm definitely not going to save that for future use because I definitely wouldn't do that to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Update 9/1

This student had a fantastic idea today, and at first I said "no" but after talking it out with her, I think it's doable.    

We were going to cut out the back of the form as seen in the photo, then cover with a rock mix to look like our other taxidermy mounts, but then she suggested we make it look like a geode.    Hmmmm...   I didn't think it would work, but after we talked out the idea, it should look pretty cool.  

We are going to put traditional rock mix around the outer edge, then use black glass to tile the insides.   I'm going to look around and see if we can find some kind of cheap crystals we could incorporate into the inside.   We are thinking dark purple or black.   Anyone have a link to something we can get for cheap?  

We were then thinking of putting a mirror under the Unicorn, and make it look like part of a pond to help show off the work above.  
I'm really liking where this is taking us.  

She used the generously donated saws-all to cut back into the form and cut out the different shapes.  Some were pried out with a screwdriver and broke off giving us even more textures.  

We will re-apply burlap, then the other materials.

ETA: fiber optics were delivered today.    Some of those strands could also be incorporated into the geode portion of the mount.  
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36795030112_8eab1dc771_h.jpg
View Quote
Search for "crystal fish tank gravel".

I'd post links but I'm on my phone.

The results seem to have several cheap solutions for the geode interior.

Always enjoy your build threads. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You won't find taxidermy in any art history book ever published since the beginning of time.

That's not a put-down of people who do it or people who like it. But unlike the visionary Dada movement, calling it art does not make it so.
View Quote
What if the class were to use the unicorn as a base to reinterpret Collier's Lady Godiva along with a paper mache female figure made from vintage copies of Today's Housewife magazine and the tapestry created from the donated pubic hair of students at the school??
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Sunday Today on NBC is doing a story on Powell, WY next.

Wonder if it is about taxidermy and whether it is art or not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Guns,

You need to make a Railroad style "Unicorn Crossing" sign.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Then do a bunch of squirrels around the bottom with picket signs "Fuck you, this is art!" "End  artistic suppression" and such. They can have little banners too, maybe a model of a teargas can or two.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Lots of discussion on the length of the horn, huh?

I am sure lots of jokes and such amongst the kids, and likely times you had to just look away to laugh, or not make a comment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lots of discussion on the length of the horn, huh?

I am sure lots of jokes and such amongst the kids, and likely times you had to just look away to laugh, or not make a comment.
View Quote
Gonna go check to see where the video camera is located in my room now.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Guns,

You need to make a Railroad style "Unicorn Crossing" sign.
View Quote
I like this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sunday Today on NBC is doing a story on Powell, WY next.

Wonder if it is about taxidermy and whether it is art or not.
View Quote
Probably Tom Brokaws bullshit story from a few weeks ago.  

Fake News.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Emailed the links to this thread (and the locomotive thread) to my 16 y.o. artistically inclined daughter.

She made it clear that she wants a unicorn t-shirt, don't let her down.  
She has my sub shirt, I ordered the wrong size.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd rock the Lego gripped 1911 OC'd at Walmart wearing a 3 Unicorns shirt... especially if the backside was 3 geodes...
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Update 9/5

This project is quickly becoming fairly complex.

Students got to play with the lights today and find out how they react to hot glue.

Adding hot glue.  This gun puts out high temp glue and it did work but we are going to use the low temp guns to make sure we don't get too much distortion in the fibers.

Students found that the hot glue points add light points to the fibers.  We think we can use that to our advantage.

After pulling the fiber off, where the glue was, there was still some light showing.  

We are attempting to adjust the ears a bit.  We took some material off today and will probably  add some tomorrow.

We glued in the horn today, as we want to work the light fibers into it and need it mounted to do this.

A wire helps keep it in the right position while it dries over night.

With the geode idea fully accepted and understood,  students hollowed out the interior of the form and added material to the outside.  Tomorrow we will cover that with burlap again.  Students also discussed the outer design of the display and did some brain storming.  We think having this on rolling wheels is the way to go.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Update 9/7

The burlap was almost finished by the end of the day.  I told students, later this morning, they could start attaching the light fibers.

We may also paint the burlap on the geode section black to help get the look we need to have, before we start adding glass.

ETA:
For those who followed the Space Shuttle build, I've got an awesome update coming.....but the thread is archived, so I'll figure out some other way to show it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Ask an awesome mod to un-archive it...they have the power of 3's
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bad ass. Requires a sufficiently bad ass horn... but where does one get one?
View Quote
It's an art class...maybe this is the time students learn how to make a horn blank, make a mold, and learn to pour resin with embedded fibre-optics and LEDs?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's an art class...maybe this is the time students learn how to make a horn blank, make a mold, and learn to pour resin with embedded fibre-optics and LEDs?
View Quote
And if you are gonna make a mold for one, you might as well make a bunch from it ;)
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And if you are gonna make a mold for one, you might as well make a bunch from it ;)
View Quote
Model it on this grave marker.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ask an awesome mod to un-archive it...they have the power of 3's
View Quote
IM'd a mod, and was told only Goatboy could do that.    I forwarded that on to him.  I'm waiting g to see if I can get that done before doing anything else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Unicorns.  

Don't stop there. Winged unicorn (pegasus unicorn).  Have some creative writing students write something up for them and how overhunting made them extinct.
View Quote
and here I thought that it wasn't over hunting per se that wiped out Unicorns and Pegasus it was the advent of gunpowder and percussion caps.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, it's going to look exactly like a REAL unicorn, it just won't have a hairy skin. It will have a horses mane, as my crazy students have already volunteered their horses tails .  

We are going to sculpt a horn with epoxy putty to look like a gemsbok's.  We were going to buy one, but I think they can sculpt one.  It will prove my point even more by doing it that way.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude...

I guarantee you people would pay GOOD money for a well-done unicorn shoulder mount.

I don't know where you'd find horse capes to make it look realistic but there has to be a source out there somewhere.
Well, it's going to look exactly like a REAL unicorn, it just won't have a hairy skin. It will have a horses mane, as my crazy students have already volunteered their horses tails .  

We are going to sculpt a horn with epoxy putty to look like a gemsbok's.  We were going to buy one, but I think they can sculpt one.  It will prove my point even more by doing it that way.  
Guns you're slipping, what's the matter Narwhale Tusk too hard to acquire?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Any of them found out yet what its like to experience getting hot melt glue on fingertips, bare skin, etc?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any of them found out yet what its like to experience getting hot melt glue on fingertips, bare skin, etc?
View Quote
If I ever get out of walmart and dinner, I'll update with pics,  but yes, we had that speech today, and I got to show off my own scars from last year where it dropped across the back of my finger.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I ever get out of walmart and dinner, I'll update with pics,  but yes, we had that speech today, and I got to show off my own scars from last year where it dropped across the back of my finger.
View Quote
Hot glue: Not just a euphemism.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Monica.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I completely forgot to subscribe to this. Glad I caught it again! Your kids do great work, it's nice to see the results of properly nurtured talent. Good job man.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
and here I thought that it wasn't over hunting per se that wiped out Unicorns and Pegasus it was the advent of gunpowder and percussion caps.
View Quote
Naw. They only sleep with their heads in virgin's laps.

They died from lack of sleep.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Update 9/7

This morning we started the fiber optics.  We decided the fibers up into the groups, horn, mane, and rocks.  Kids are running it out to the horn first.

Testing with the lights on.

Working on spreading the fiber over an area to equally distribute throughout the mane.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread needs more baculum 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]
SPACE SHUTTLE THREAD UPDATE! !!

Ok, so the Space Shuttle thread is still archived, and I want to share this update.  Most of you followed it, so this is the best way to do it, and making a new thread will not reach the right audience.

First, a huge THANK YOU to @Squid1jz
I can't say that enough.  As usual, arfcommers are simply fantastic.  

He asked me for an extra mission patch at the end of April.  He said he had a plan and wanted to do something for us.  

Well, last night Ups delivered this magnificent display.  When I opened it up, I literally teared up a bit.  It's amazing.

He said his wife had the original idea.  Put together a collection of the very first mission patches for each of the Space Shuttles, including ours.

My students were awestruck today when I showed it to them and told them what they were looking at.

It already has its home in our display.
Notice  the reflection.

There will be a plaque explaining the collection, and a thank you to Squid1jz.

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Those patches are awesome. Very cool!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This thread needs more baculum 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/image-301895.JPG
View Quote
they're working on an extinct/mythical equine, not an extinct walrus.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I probably still have the approach and landing patch from when I visited Cape Canaveral back in 77 as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Those patches are awesome. Very cool!
View Quote

My wife has some pretty good ideas (Don't tell her). I'm just glad it came out looking ok. I mean, I was the one that put it together.

Usually If it doesn't have lego bricks, bolts or roll pins I'm crap at making things.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Usually If it doesn't have lego bricks, bolts or roll pins I'm crap at making things.
View Quote
I was summoned?  Would you care to do profane things to a 1911?  Plastic bricky things?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
SPACE SHUTTLE THREAD UPDATE! !!

There will be a plaque explaining the collection, and a thank you to Squid1jz.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4367/37090950135_86ad6c0136_h.jpg
View Quote
You guys really used a frame from the end of Space Cowboys in your awesome set up? Why?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was summoned?  Would you care to do profane things to a 1911?  Plastic bricky things?  
View Quote
I've never used them in conjunction on the same project
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My wife has some pretty good ideas (Don't tell her). I'm just glad it came out looking ok. I mean, I was the one that put it together.

View Quote
You're not alone. I'm the same way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
The custodian commented on how professional it was put together.  That says a lot coming from him.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You guys really used a frame from the end of Space Cowboys in your awesome set up? Why?
View Quote
We watched the movie in class.  It has some great shuttle maneuvering scenes in it, and just a great story.  It also came scary close to showing what happened to Columbia just a few years later.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The custodian commented on how professional it was put together.  That says a lot coming from him.  
View Quote
Lol I hope I'm not giving anyone the wrong idea here, I didn't build the frame. I just glued some patches down
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#46]
That's an awesome update.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lol I hope I'm not giving anyone the wrong idea here, I didn't build the frame. I just glued some patches down
View Quote
Nope, that's exactly what he was talking about, how well they were laid out.  Good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nope, that's exactly what he was talking about, how well they were laid out.  Good stuff!
View Quote
I'll tell my wife, I was just the trigger-puller lol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I spent way to much money on the form as it is.

African forms are stupid expensive.  A full body would be over a grand, easy.  Thats a little excessive to make a statement.
View Quote
You could gofundme the shit out of that. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You could gofundme the shit out of that. 
View Quote
I'd be in for 5 bucks, this thread has what 2-300 people? that is  a grand easy. plus if half of the kids families throw in 5 bucks...
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top