Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They can fill an art museum with all the cool stuff that OP builds. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
He needs his own forum.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He needs his own forum.
View Quote
Nope.  GD is good to me.

I do wish the shuttle thread hadn't gotten archived.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Much of the internet is ephemeral. But your projects will live on, in the minds of the workers, faculty, and us random basement dwellers.
No one is ever going to say," remember that cool spreadsheet", or "Wow, that backup was the bees knees", 20 years from now.
But your students will remember you and your guidance. And so will Arfcom. Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Update 9/8

Students are nagging me to get going with the glass, but they have to finish the fiber lights first and it's taking a long time.  It's not easy, and very tedious.

The fire pit glass came today and that only made it worse.  We are close to finished with the mane on the right side of the unicorn.  Hopefully we can get the geode and left side done early next week.  They've got a system finally ironed out so it's pick g up speed.

This whole project is growing to far more than I thought it would, but that should make it all the more epic in the end.  It just might take a whole lot longer than I figured it would.

The horses that we were supposed to get mane from left today for hunting camp and won't be back for weeks so now we need to find some wig hair...probably black.  We need 12" x 48" worth.  We found a couple on line for $10 that probably will work.  
ETA--   two wigs ordered.  White, 40" cosplay.  Damn you Amazon!

The tape was slowly replaced with hot glue today.  Notice the small low temp glue guns.  Fingers will b be saved during this process because of the low temp guns.  This is not a melt your skin off glue gun activity.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could gofundme the shit out of that. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent way to much money on the form as it is.

African forms are stupid expensive.  A full body would be over a grand, easy.  Thats a little excessive to make a statement.
You could gofundme the shit out of that. 
Guns, any time you have an idea like this, crowdsource the funding first, then see how extreme you can get with it. I am sure we would have all chipped in for a full-body unicorn, just to "stick it to The Man"
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Indeed.  I am particularly fond of objects as political statements.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Not quite sure what you mean by geode, but see if this gives you any ideas

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJs2CRWYsBw
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Your shuttle thread was amazing, Guns. I saw a Facebook post about some guys who built a model of the Tirpitz from matchsticks and thought of you and your awesome students.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Your shuttle thread was amazing, Guns. I saw a Facebook post about some guys who built a model of the Tirpitz from matchsticks and thought of you and your awesome students.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95225/IMG_2348-302805.JPG
View Quote
That's amazing! That thing is huge! You can even see a Type VII sub in the background.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is what I'm hoping we can get on the back.  I think he's using the same glass.    I might have my kids paint the back before we start running the fiber back there.  I'd almost forgot about that.  Students talked about that earlier in the week.  

We will have to start that on Monday too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Update 9/8

Students are nagging me to get going with the glass, but they have to finish the fiber lights first and it's taking a long time.  It's not easy, and very tedious.

The fire pit glass came today and that only made it worse.  We are close to finished with the mane on the right side of the unicorn.  Hopefully we can get the geode and left side done early next week.  They've got a system finally ironed out so it's pick g up speed.

This whole project is growing to far more than I thought it would, but that should make it all the more epic in the end.  It just might take a whole lot longer than I figured it would.

The horses that we were supposed to get mane from left today for hunting camp and won't be back for weeks so now we need to find some wig hair...probably black.  We need 12" x 48" worth.  We found a couple on line for $10 that probably will work.  
ETA--   two wigs ordered.  White, 40" cosplay.  Damn you Amazon!  

The tape was slowly replaced with hot glue today.  Notice the small low temp glue guns.  Fingers will b be saved during this process because of the low temp guns.  This is not a melt your skin off glue gun activity.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4351/36275095694_1243823259_h.jpg

Fiber optic everywhere.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4362/37110385125_1de5c19170_h.jpg
View Quote
You know, with white hair you could lace fiber optic strands into it, then style it into some kind of 21st century unicorn mullet with a sparkling bushy clump on top and stylish waves down the back. You can't tell me that people in western Wyoming can't relate to a good mullet. Just sayin'. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You know, with white hair you could lace fiber optic strands into it, then style it into some kind of 21st century unicorn mullet with a sparkling bushy clump on top and stylish waves down the back. You can't tell me that people in western Wyoming can't relate to a good mullet. Just sayin'. 
View Quote
The fiber is about half way there, and that is what we are planning, but the mullet will need more considerstion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]
The girl on the left has the "Where did he say he was gonna upload this picture of me?" look on her face.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The girl on the left has the "Where did he say he was gonna upload this picture of me?" look on her face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes she does.  You read faces well.  This was about the third version of that photo I took before they would approve it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
This looks pretty cool.

And after watching the video on the first post I see why some of them are trying to claim it's "not art"... probably because they were "triggered" by seeing the reality of nature and that it's not all animals hugging each other and going out for salad afterwards.

Personally I think it's a serious art-form.  It takes time, and experience, and talent to make it look right and realistic.  Do it wrong and you'll end up with a lion that looks like it went full retard.  Do it right and you end up winning awards.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:57:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is what I'm hoping we can get on the back.  I think he's using the same glass.    I might have my kids paint the back before we start running the fiber back there.  I'd almost forgot about that.  Students talked about that earlier in the week.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding was that he bought actual amethyst crystals in bulk
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Ok, you simply MUST pose them Charlie's Angels style, with the glue guns and the unicorn.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Update 9/12

The back of the geode got all painted up.  We are close to gluing the fiber back there.

Quoted:

Ok, you simply MUST pose them Charlie's Angels style, with the glue guns and the unicorn.
View Quote
Well, I've got some good sports.......

deleted picture.

It was pretty funny when I showed up with a whole new bunch of fiber and told them we would be adding it too.......  Not really, but it was fun when I showed it to them and told them that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Wigs just got delivered.    

Might be time for hair plugs tomorrow!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking good so far-I've got to admit I was skeptical of the idea when first mentioned, but as it takes shape it's proving me wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't wait to see the end result. MOAR pics!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Update 9/14

This guy came in sporting this T today....  

Makes my day

For hating the installation of the fiber optic lights, the students sure do request we light them up every once in a while(all the time).

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Will there be any T-shirts this time?  My daughter likes unicorns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Update 9/14

Ok, ARFCOM, It's time to tap that vast bat of knowledge.    I need an adhesive that can glue glass together, and to the burlap.  Something that is sticky enough to hold pieces while they dry, and it has to dry clear to allow the fiber optic light to glow underneath.

My custodian suggested locktite brand fast grab.  He says the old stuff comes out white, but dries clear.  On the tube, it doesn't say it works on glass.  We are trying it tonight.

Hot glue is not going to work.  It shrinks a bit and on glass it just peals up too easy.

The fiber is closer to done.  We have a few strands left on the mane, and a few on the geode side.

Students cut the fibers to a closer length on the mane.  Not sure they will stay this long, but they were in the way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Two glue options:

Weldbond Universal Adhesive. Glues to glass, flexible and dries clear. Available on Amazon. 

Use some one brand of super glue and an accelerator to make it hold faster (basically spray acetone). Combine with a bead of clear adhesive silicone for holding strength if needed. Not totally clear. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Try E6000 Craft Adhesive.

Great Stuff!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I am certain most don't say it enough, but I am so subscribed to this thread.

The GF is tuning in as well as she aspires to be an art teacher as well.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#31]
How about the KickStarter for "Unstable Unicorns" the game.

Unstable Unicorns
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Lexel brand adhesive caulk should solve your adhesive problems.  It is amazingly crystal clear, has some body so it won't drip, and is stickier than a 3 year old eating cotton candy.

It's a bit spendy - about $9 a tube as I recall - but a little should go a really long way on your project and it's paintable.  I can't remember if Lowes stocks it, but I know its available from several stores in my small town so it's not too hard to find.  Their website has a store finder on it.

ETA:

Lexel website

Available at Powell Valley True Value and Aldrich Home Center.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lexel brand adhesive caulk should solve your adhesive problems.  It is amazingly crystal clear, has some body so it won't drip, and is stickier than a 3 year old eating cotton candy.

It's a bit spendy - about $9 a tube as I recall - but a little should go a really long way on your project and it's paintable.  I can't remember if Lowes stocks it, but I know its available from several stores in my small town so it's not too hard to find.  Their website has a store finder on it.

ETA:

Lexel website

Available at Powell Valley True Value and Aldrich Home Center.
View Quote
That's my go to store.

I'm usually there when the owner is opening at 7am.  

I'll look for it this morning.  We are still a bit away from starting the glass, but it could be almost any day now.

That stuff seems perfect for the job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure about t shirts for this one.

Maybe, if we can figure out a design that gets some traction.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm shocked you aren't growing the crystals on a medium!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm shocked you aren't growing the crystals on a medium!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Try E6000 Craft Adhesive.

Great Stuff!
View Quote
Another vote for this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A local brewery, owned by a friend of mine, is obsessed with unicorns and brewed a double IPA called Flying Unicorn Crotch Kick

Probably not school appropriate.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A local brewery, owned by a friend of mine, is obsessed with unicorns and brewed a double IPA called Flying Unicorn Crotch Kick

Probably not school appropriate.

https://scontent-cdg2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/19623642_1936840136601909_7012345812294303744_n.jpg
View Quote
That's pretty funny.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#41]
This is why I love Aldrich Lumber Company......

I went to pay for this with cash today, I didn't have a voucher, and he wouldn't let me.   Told me just to take it and try it.  

Seriously great folks there.   Ken, Tim, and Nick are the best.  

The piece we tried with Loctite fast grab did not work.  It gave up as easy as the hot glue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Someone else mentioned UV bond epoxy. That stuff does work really well and cures in seconds when exposed to the UV light. I use it for miniature building sometimes. It's easy to apply as it comes in a pen-shaped applicator with the UV light on the opposite end. Cleanup is simple since it just wipes away until you cure it. The only down side is the areas that aren't reachable by the UV light won't ever fully harden. It does cure clear and you can paint over it.

Bondic is the retail brand I use. It's not very cheap though, so I'm not sure how feasible it is for this project.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm not sure if you can use this stuff, but you definitely NEED it.

Unicorn Spit

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Update 9/15

This is the rock mix going on today.   It's the same stuff we use to make rock for taxidermy projects.     We are leaving the surface rough to look more like a geode.    

We still need to blend the edge to the unicorn body a bit more, and more on the bottom, but it's starting to look more the way we want it to.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Update 9/18

Homecoming week is going to be a busy, hectic, non productive week....maybe.

Students finished the rock mix today.

They also got the rock mix stained with acrylics, black and some brown.  Just enough to cover the crevices and leave the tops light.

There was some dissent as to how the glass would be applied in the geode.  

I've been told if it turns out badly, and it will, it's all my fault.  I'll take that responsibility.  I wanted to be sure that was stated before we proceed, as a couple students have found this thread.

Students wanted the purple glass more on edge, and I wanted them more flat to cover the black before we add the crystals over top.  The glue is not allowing the pieces to be as jagged as students would like.  I think that is not a problem.  We will see.  

We still have much more glass to go before we add the crystals over top.

The hot glue she is using is in conjunction with the Lexel glue.  This is helping to keep some of the fiber down, and allowing some pieces to be applied at extreme amgles.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#47]
While not a classical geode look right now, depending on how you layer and texture, it could look really unique!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
While not a classical geode look right now, depending on how you layer and texture, it could look really unique!
View Quote
I agree.  

Hopefully when we get the fire pit crystals down, it will look more traditional.    Think of the stained glass as a base coat.  I'm hoping it will help spread some of the light around to get more of a glow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Pure greatness!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm hoping that two of my go-to-students will forgive me for pulling the "Executive Decision", and get most of the glass and crystals finished today.

The unicorn is tipped on its face right now, and is not going to be easily accessible for epoxy on the lips and nose today.  

We might be able to get some of the mane started if the timing is right.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top