In this thread the OP learns he’s…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
true, but it wasn't because of smoking.
View Quote

Maybe you could make the argument that people were skinnier because of all the cigs but otherwise I agree.  OP could have just said "America was better forty years ago".
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Freedom is a deadly and complicated balancing act along the edge of a razor blade. There should be as much freedom as possible, right up until you crash into anarchy.

To paraphrase a great believer in liberty, "your freedom to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose."

That said, and as I posted elsewhere, I'm all for the choice being in the hands of individual businesses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geezers have ruined it with their pearl clutching.
Fuck that. I lived through a couple of decades of that era, and I do not miss the whole fucking world smelling like a dirty ashtray or trying to taste my food from inside a toxic cloud. And I felt the same way about that nasty shit at 15 as I do now.

Why is freedom so scary? If a business wants to cater to nasty smokers that should be their prerogative, and yours not to visit them
Freedom is a deadly and complicated balancing act along the edge of a razor blade. There should be as much freedom as possible, right up until you crash into anarchy.

To paraphrase a great believer in liberty, "your freedom to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose."

That said, and as I posted elsewhere, I'm all for the choice being in the hands of individual businesses.

Your nose is free to enter an establishment that prohibits smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
America became fat when ashtrays got replaced by cup holders in cars. Peoples priorities changed. Traded lung cancer for morbid obesity and diabetes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
America became fat when ashtrays got replaced by cup holders in cars. Peoples priorities changed. Traded lung cancer for morbid obesity and diabetes.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tard posting should be illegal too.
View Quote

+1...
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there anything more relaxing than sitting at the bar day drinking with a ice cold Rolling Rock, a shot of Crown, and a Marlboro Gold 100 while watching baseball? No, no there is not.

The Founding Fathers are spinning in their graves because of you smoking Nazis.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Geezers have ruined it with their pearl clutching.
View Quote
Oh hell no!   I grew up w/ a dad who smoked.   Everything reeked of it.   He smoked in the house.  He smoked in the car.   He got pissed off if I cracked the window in the winter because I needed to be able to breathe.    I don't care if someone smokes, but I enjoy the relatively clean air w/o a bunch of smokers always lit up.  On the other hand if it's their property they should be able to smoke all they want.  I just wouldn't go there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Ah yes the days of going to a restaurant and the smell wafting through ruining a meal like a open bucket of shit sitting in the floor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck no it wasn't!   I remember that "smokers rights" shit all too well!   Fuck all you goddamn smokers, polluting everyone's air with your foul shit.  I remember, and resent to this day, all of your foul, dangerous shit I had to breathe into order to work.   I hope all you smokers freeze to death standing outside for your fix.
That's one thing the liberals got right - banning all that shit.  In restaurants, at work.   Fuck you!   It pisses me off just remembering all the shit I had to go through everywhere because of you foul, disgusting, selfish people.  Fuck you again!
View Quote

Ditto.  Hated it when people lit up in a restaurant, theatre, aeroplane, trains, cars, subways, etc.  

I also learned not to hire smokers.  They always needed to get their nicotine fix and took more breaks to do this and were less productive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ditto.  Hated it when people lit up in a restaurant, theatre, aeroplane, trains, cars, subways, etc.  

I also learned not to hire smokers.  They always needed to get their nicotine fix and took more breaks to do this and were less productive.
View Quote
Well if you let them smoke inside, they wouldn't have to take a break.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ah yes the days of going to a restaurant and the smell wafting through ruining a meal like a open bucket of shit sitting in the floor.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/330CC6C3-704D-4020-B3D5-C91D11232EB1-475.gif
View Quote

Or going to a bar and having to burn you clothes the next day...
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck smokers!
View Quote

Agreed!  They suck and they stink.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Only a smoker would be self centered though to think everyone else’s enjoyment of the world was somehow improved by their smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fat people don’t smell as bad as smokers.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Nope, indoor smoking (unless a specific place for it,) sucks. I like cigars, I smoke them but only outside or in a lounge. Sucked eating at your restaurant and everything tastes like smoke, it’s fucking disgusting.

Cigarette smokers don’t realize they smell, no one wants to smell it while they’re eating or watching a movie. Even in bars wit smoking sections sucked.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
The country was definitely in a better place back then, but cigarettes do stink and its hard to eat when someone next to you is smoking.
But, the anti smoking activist crowd then are the same ones pushing trans pedophilia now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
OP is correct, the country was better then.   The two things are not connected, smoking indoors didn't make the country better, but the attitude that ALLOWED it did.

End of thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Luckily the people that supported smoking indoors are dying off.

I am sensitive to smoke. I choose not to smoke- I shouldn't have to endure breathing your poison clouds.
It seeps into carpet, drapes, and even walls.
It stains teeth and wrinkles skin.

The harm principle states:

"people should be free to act however they wish unless their actions cause harm to somebody else"
That's not communist that's libertarian. Perhaps the difference is lost on you.
View Quote

Should private establishment be able to allow smoking on their premise?

If you don’t like it, simply don’t frequent that establishment.  

No one cares that you’re “sensitive to smoke”.  That’s your problem.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#24]
True, but "correlation vs. causation".
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not the enjoyment of the world, the quality of human life.

Life expectancy is dropping along with smoking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only a smoker would be self centered though to think everyone else’s enjoyment of the world was somehow improved by their smoking.

If that was true, outdoor cancer shacks would be concentrated examples of enlightened civilization- and yet they aren’t.

Get a spit cup and some grains. Problem solved, no smoke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  

I’d rather smell smoke than bad hygiene and BO.  Fat people are way more disgusting than smokers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Should be up to private businesses if they want to allow it or not

I don't want to smell your big diesel passenger  truck  so lets get the government involved to make them illegal
View Quote

That's the right answer right there.   Apart from the occasional cigar and scotch on the back porch, I don't smoke but it's really not the government's business if a business allows it or not. They will gain customers who want to smoke and they will lose customers who don't want to be around it and they will thrive or fail depending on how many customers they get vs how many they lose.  Let the free market decide.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If that was true, outdoor cancer shacks would be concentrated examples of enlightened civilization- and yet they aren’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it doesn’t work when you smoke outside. Duh.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#29]
People were thinner at least.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Should be up to the establishment. Government has no business deciding what is allowing regarding smoking on private property. The restaurants wanted to ban it themselves, fine their choice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wrong.  

I’d rather smell smoke than bad hygiene and BO.  Fat people are way more disgusting than smokers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  

Fat people can bathe. Smokers always stink,
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I remember hitting the bars in my 20’s.  Used to have to shower and do laundry immediately once you got home.    The stank emanating off your clothes would make your eyes water.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't smoke anymore so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

But for fucks sake if you don't like the smoke filled pool hall go somewhere fucking else instead of demanding the government tell folks how to run their establishment like a god damned Karen.  

Freedom is hard I guess.
View Quote

Never was a smoker, but this is the correct response. Little bitches here act like someone forced them into the private property open to the public that allows smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It’s the percentage of people using tobacco, not the location.

However stigmatization and exclusion is what caused the decline of use.

How does is feel to be pushing ideas that caused the destruction of the West just so that you didn’t have to smell icky smells?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s the percentage of people using tobacco, not the location.

However stigmatization and exclusion is what caused the decline of use.

How does is feel to be pushing ideas that caused the destruction of the West just so that you didn’t have to smell icky smells?

Get a spit cup and some grains. Problem solved.

See? I’ve saved civilization.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
true, but it wasn't because of smoking.
View Quote

Correct.  There is no correlation between smoking indoors and the strength, wealth and prosperity of a nation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Limited tyranny is ok because I shouldn’t have to smell it.
View Quote

Tyranny goes both ways. You want the tyranny to force your vice on everyone else.

Your rights end where mine begin and vice versa.

I bet you light up while standing in a line, without asking anyone around you if it’s ok.

Smokers did it to themselves. Using the in line example, if you ask I’ll tell you to go ahead. If you don’t, I will ask you to step out of line or put it out. At least pretend to understand that not everyone wants to smell that shit.

It’s even worse with the pot smokers. They really don’t understand that not everyone wants to smell that shit.

I don’t care if you want to smoke, just have some semblance of courtesy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP must surely be okay with the neighbor’s dogs shutting in his yard, dumping their trash in the back of his truck bed, loud music being played late at night next door, and parking their cars in his driveway.  He’s all about freedom man.

ETA - he’s not worried about chronic lung disease either.
View Quote

LOL

That's exactly the same thing. Not really.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There are still cigar pubs.
You can watch sports, eat nachos & wings, have a stout or three and smoke all you want.
View Quote

Even those places don't allow cigarettes.

That said the "dangers of second hand smoke" were ridiculously overblown.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes.  It was better. Except for the indoor smoking.
View Quote

Exactly.

One of the very few ways the progressives have made my life better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again, no correlation.  Increase in fast foods, corn-syrup diet and more sedentary lifestyle has a lot to do with phatbodies.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#43]
This country was better 20 to 30 years ago, and it has jack shit to do with smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I've also heard the argument that when more people smoked healthcare costs were actually less. Smokers died in their early 70's after a relatively quick bout of illness instead of lingering on for another 10-20 years.

Not sure what to do with that info but I found it an interesting observation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Todays kids are indoctrinated about gender shit, previous generation was global warming bullshit, and prior gen was smoking.
I still remember the little smoke nazi's coming off the school buses bitching at their parents about smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes.  It was better. Except for the indoor smoking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Yeah,  I like shooting guns,  I should be allowed to shoot whatever guns I want in applebees.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah,  I like shooting guns,  I should be allowed to shoot whatever guns I want in applebees.
View Quote

Damn, leave it to GD to come up with the dumbest fucking analogies ever.

ETA: there are establishments you can visit where you can shoot your gun. Those that do not like the sound of gunfire are free not to visit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP is correct, the country was better then.   The two things are not connected, smoking indoors didn't make the country better, but the attitude that ALLOWED it did.

End of thread.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I smoke... and while this Country may have been better in the past, it was not because of smoking indoors.

My Father smoked, two packs a day, and I have zero doubt that influenced my taking up smoking. It's a disgusting and expensive habit.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top