Is this OP?

Congrats on the new house!

Does it double as a bunker?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow.

I like the ability to keep a room dark as well, but I think I'd have gone with a more conventional design and simply added something like these shutters which you see all over other parts of the world.  They would address your lighting, security, etc concerns just fine without giving you a potentially very unpopular house design.
View Quote
I can understand that, but I suspect it would be less of an issue than you think, and i have no plans to ever sell anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cars come with locks too.
Glass isn't all that durable. Perhaps you've noticed?
View Quote
Could still be into that house in less than a minute windows or not.  Your house...your call, but good luck selling it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Because if I wanted to sell it, retrofitting giant picture windows for the convenience of burglars is so damn hard to do...How can we cut giant holes and install windows?
View Quote
Did you frame out windows and then cover them with the fascade?  That would have actually been clever if so, and allowed your interior and exterior walls to still do what you want now without painting yourself into a corner later.

Otherwise, I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised about cutting windows later into exterior structural walls.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You know what they call a basement in Oklahoma?

A swimming pool.
View Quote
I thought it was more because of the basalt rocks. I salvaged Atlas sites around Forbes AFB and all but the Bushong site were flooded out to beat the band with groundwater.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why does the brickwork suck so bad?
View Quote
It's Oklahoma.  That tree in the front lawn is probably the only source of wood for 500 miles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought it was more because of the basalt rocks. I salvaged Atlas sites around Forbes AFB and all but the Bushong site were flooded out to beat the band with groundwater.
View Quote
yup high water table
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
@nickmemphis

Buy some of these for the windows you do have. You'll love them (I do).

http://www.rolladen.com/
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this OP?
https://i1.party411.com/p411/Portals/0/images/products/photo-op-dracula.jpg

Congrats on the new house!

Does it double as a bunker?
View Quote
I hope so.

I guess we'll find out.
...or not
DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!! - Sound Effect
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's Oklahoma.  That tree in the front lawn is probably the only source of wood for 500 miles.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol explain the sawdust one please, I missed that one.

Also, this has got to be the most visually boring house I've ever seen. I understand wanting to be secure with yourself and your shit, but this is just......over the top. Some of you guys literally live in a state of paranoia.
View Quote
@crimsontideshooter

The sawdust guy was a guy complaining that he had to vacuum the wood shaving from the studs during the construction of the house. Not a finished house, a house during the course of construction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does the brickwork suck so bad?
wat?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I got more roof vents on my garage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it a strip joint? Where's the windows?
View Quote
I assumed OP was a Jehovas Witness.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm from Kansas, Topeka, where everyone has a basement. It's weird that basements are like hens teeth here. Fur Realz.
View Quote
I would never own a house without a basement. I've seen first hand what a storm or tornado can do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The rear lot is fenced, I'll be installing a gate for the horse, and a 'lectric fence so she doesn't butt-lean it, which I had bought all that literally the day before the fire so I still have it all. The bedrooms have egress windows, the office/gunroom has a commercial grade door (it opens out, with steel studs and a full commercial deadbolt. The room itself has double thick fireboard drywall and Simplex-Grinnell fire protection sprinklers with glass ampoule fuses)

The porch used to be part of the LR, but Roxie needs a place to go in a hailstorm.

And fuck windows, I hate sunlight, and clear skies. I wish it was 100% overcast 100% of the time or night.
View Quote
As somebody who’s ancestors came from Northern Europe I mostly agree. My blinds are down all day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@nickmemphis

View Quote
Interdasting.

The rest of the house has ordinary windows, btw. Two bedrooms, the gunrooom/office, a kitchen with a commercial island suitable for Gordon Ramsey to cook in, and wait'll you see the finish. There's gonna be no it's what other pussywhipped people like bullshit. Function over form ever after. The kitchen is for cooking, not for having the neighbors approve. The living areas are for comfort, with no thought given to if the neighbors approve. People generally choose shit because it's what everyone else chooses and God forbid they exert peer pressure. Fuck y'all, this is MY house and I'll do it the way I like. Suck it.
Only the bare minimum is given to cosmetic features, and that only because the Bank of Oklahoma Loss Draft fags control the purse.
When i design a kitchen, I figure a kitchen is for preparing food. When I design a gun room, I focus on security and doing gun stuff
When I design a bathroom, I focus on luxury and washing my ass.
At no point ever, except when forced, do I make the primary focus about whether anyone else thinks it looks pretty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
" />

OP is happy. Who are we to judge blood sucking, overcast loving, night stalkers?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interdasting.

The rest of the house has ordinary windows, btw. Two bedrooms, the gunrooom/office, a kitchen with a commercial island suitable for Gordon Ramsey to cook in, and wait'll you see the finish. There's gonna be no it's what other pussywhipped people like bullshit. Function over form ever after. The kitchen is for cooking, not for having the neighbors approve. The living areas are for comfort, with no thought given to if the neighbors approve. People generally choose shit because it's what everyone else chooses and God forbid they exert peer pressure. Fuck y'all, this is MY house and I'll do it the way I like. Suck it.
Only the bare minimum is given to cosmetic features, and that only because the Bank of Oklahoma Loss Draft fags control the purse.
When i design a kitchen, I figure a kitchen is for preparing food. When I design a gun room, I focus on security and doing gun stuff
At no point ever, except when forced, do I make the primary focus about whether anyone else thinks it looks pretty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@nickmemphis

Interdasting.

Rolladden are awesome. They provide security, storm proofing, and light control.

Don't forget extra ventilation in your gun room, and if it isn't too late plumb it for a dehumidifier.

It's your house, it should make you happy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I keep imagining that house with an chain link fence, 12 cameras and no windows. It will, literally, look like a prison. If safety is that much of a concern, as to drastically alter your living situation to this degree, you are living in the wrong place.
View Quote
OP will be “That guy” on his street and will have to order Girl Scout cookies online.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Rolladden are awesome. They provide security, storm proofing, and light control.

Don't forget extra ventilation in your gun room, and if it isn't too late plumb it for a dehumidifier.

It's your house, it should make you happy.
View Quote
Humidity is seriously not an issue.
Dry? Excessive humidity? Hah!
More like fire up a humidifier.

Sometime I, apparently, sleep with my mouth open like a cretin. And my uvula is cracked and swollen for days. gag me with a dehydrated uvula.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Be a hell of a place to shoot it out.  Has windows like an armored car
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@crimsontideshooter

The sawdust guy was a guy complaining that he had to vacuum the wood shaving from the studs during the construction of the house. Not a finished house, a house during the course of construction.
View Quote
Lmao I thought that might be what you were talking about.

I have to admit, I've done it. Right before the drywall went up in the house I'm in now I went through and made sure things were clean and generally tidy. Not sure what his reasons were but I did it for moisture control.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#25]
REMEMBER THE ALAMO !!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Grow Op upgrade huh? Don't want any curious eyes peaking in any windows?

What happened with the fire? Grow lamps short out?

Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want to soften the look for the neighbors.... build some faux framing with plexiglas and mount to exterior. Looks like windows... isn't windows.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OP will be “That guy” on his street and will have to order Girl Scout cookies online.
View Quote
See there's that, "What will the neighbors think?" pussywhippage again. "The neighbors" is a euphamism for emasculation. That's when men agree with their wives, so she doesn't get mad and cut off access to the vagina, that it's better to make things look pretty instead of actually work well for the purported function. Like when you make it harder to prepare food in the kitchen so that when you aren't using the kitchen for preparing food, which is why you even have a kitchen in the first place, it is nicer to look at.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#29]
looks like a prisoner camp. Why are there no windows?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

*Snip*

And fuck windows, I hate sunlight, and clear skies. I wish it was 100% overcast 100% of the time or night.
View Quote
I'm with you as far as that goes. But I still like windows. There are none where I work and it gets to you after awhile.

When it's overcast I like to look out the window at the beautiful cloudy sky. Plus I like to look at my dags play in the yard and watch the birds.

Glad your happy though. Probably going to have a hard time selling it. A friend of mines husband decided to design his own house. It was a pretty fucked up floor plan. The entire 2nd floor was the bedroom, a really large bedroom. The bottom floor was a jumble of rooms with a layout only he could appreciate.

The design flaws didn't really jump out at first when you walked in but after visiting awhile your mind would be filled with fuck.

The architect tried to talk sense into him. When it came time to sell it took over 5 years. It was on a good piece of land in the country, a really nice area. There were other houses not fucked up, those sold quickly. I'm not sure how much under the market value they finally sold that cluster fuck for.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You'd hate my house.  I'm sitting in my 20x20 sunroom reading this thread. It has (5) 5'x5' windows and a 6' glass door out to the pool. No blinds or shades either.
View Quote
OP would not like my dining area. I love me some natural light on a beautiful day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Pic of the original house. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because if I wanted to sell it, retrofitting giant picture windows for the convenience of burglars is so damn hard to do...How can we cut giant holes and install windows?
View Quote
If your neighborhood is so bad you need a windowless house it might have made more sense to have a normal house built so you could sell it and move.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Damn skippy. Got 12 cameras and a 2Tb Zmodo system NIB and ready to go.
View Quote
Old technology to go with the wierd house.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hope you really, really like it because nobody else is going to want to buy and live in that pillbox.
View Quote
This OP.  You will never be able to sell that joint.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife says it looks like a public restroom in a state park. To me, looks more like a central office or pump station. Don't know what to say.... you gotta admit, OP, it's just kinda.... ummmmm.... odd.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I think y'all are wrong, but it's cool. Que sera sera. bed time here. I'll update this thread soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife says it looks like a public restroom in a state park. To me, looks more like a central office or pump station. Don't know what to say.... you gotta admit, OP, it's just kinda.... ummmmm.... odd.
View Quote
I rest.
A public restroom is designed to accomplish the function of being a restroom at maximum efficiency.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Where are the windows?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Seriously, awesome house. I too am happier with fewer windows, I like the privacy and security more than natural light.

Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Does it have a storm shelter???
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just curious though, do you not like windows?
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think y'all are wrong, but it's cool. Que sera sera. bed time here. I'll update this thread soon.
View Quote
How can you tell?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now it’s all making sense. OP sleeps in the middle of the day.  Having a windowless house makes sense .
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I like it fuck windows.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You've prewired each of the corners of the house for 3 POE drops for your camera system, right?
View Quote
What does 3POE stand for? I want to do that on my house.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not trollin' I'm just a strange guy.
View Quote
No, strange is living in your parents house and never moving out. This is full on paranoia, irrational fear with some vampire and a whole hell of a lot of killdozer.

Shit looks like a drug house and a prison.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#49]
1.) house destroyed by fire
2.) build replacement house without fire exits
3.) ?
4.) profit
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I've got a question that's not related to your lack of windows. Did you rebuild on the slab or did you tear out slab and start over from scratch?

If existing slab, any concerns of steel reinforcement being compromised by heat?
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top