User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And 450 lb ft of torque out of a 4.5L diesel is pathetic
View Quote
As a red blooded American I'm cringing super hard at how American you sound.

Why would a vehicle this size need more torque than that? People don't buy LC79s to look cool and brag about power. They buy them as an investment. The same reasons you buy a large John Deere tractor. LC70 series are built to last forever. The engine is probably capable of producing double that torque but why?

A Ford F-150 can be expected to run 150k-200k miles before significant wear or breakage occurs. That's if you're running good fuel and oil.

In the rest of the world where LC 70s have been sold by the millions, we have a grade of fuel I like to call: P&S which stands for piss and sand. Toyota designs their Diesel engines to run on P&S fuel for 500K miles before any significant wear or breakage.

We were running a fleet of Ford Expeditions and spending thousands on repair and maintenance each month. We switched to buying LC200s for $10K more per vehicle and our maintenance costs are down to about $100 per month.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs more technical:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why would a vehicle this size need more torque than that? People don't buy LC79s to look cool and brag about power. They buy them as an investment. The same reasons you buy a large John Deere tractor. LC70 series are built to last forever. The engine is probably capable of producing double that torque but why?

A Ford F-150 can be expected to run 150k-200k miles before significant wear or breakage occurs. That's if you're running good fuel and oil.

In the rest of the world where LC 70s have been sold by the millions, we have a grade of fuel I like to call: P&S which stands for piss and sand. Toyota designs their Diesel engines to run on P&S fuel for 500K miles before any significant wear or breakage.

We were running a fleet of Ford Expeditions and spending thousands on repair and maintenance each month. We switched to buying LC200s for $10K more per vehicle and our maintenance costs are down to about $100 per month.
View Quote

Are you trying to "culture shame" bro?  According to the globalists and leftists, all cultures must be respected.  While I don't have any comment on Toyota's diesel engine, I don't cringe or feel embarrassed for how American's are viewed by foreigners for expressing their opinion, especially on a U.S. website.  I guess that's just part of our American culture, to not give a shit how they do it elsewhere.

I would say that people in other countries don't care about how we do it in the U.S. either so that is not an exclusively American trait.  Although, some of them do wish we would assimilate completely to the metric system so I guess some really do care how we do it over here.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you trying to "culture shame" bro?  According to the globalists and leftists, all cultures must be respected.  While I don't have any comment on Toyota's diesel engine, I don't cringe or feel embarrassed for how American's are viewed by foreigners for expressing their opinion, especially on a U.S. website.  I guess that's just part of our American culture, to not give a shit how they do it elsewhere.

I would say that people in other countries don't care about how we do it in the U.S. either so that is not an exclusively American trait.  Although, some of them do wish we would assimilate completely to the metric system so I guess some really do care how we do it over here.

View Quote
Let's just call it a cultural facepalm.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Been wanting one of these for years. A company close to me gets brand new ones and modifies them for the U.S. government and other countries.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, you know those hack ass Toyota engineers. They wouldn’t build a fully boxed and welded frame quite capable of carrying far in excess of its rated spec for 25+ years. That’s why nobody in Africa, South America, or the Middle East takes those poser mobiles seriously. I mean, only 450 lb/ft of torque, what a pile!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoever designed that has never taken a physics or engineering course in their life.

Holy shit

Yeah, you know those hack ass Toyota engineers. They wouldn’t build a fully boxed and welded frame quite capable of carrying far in excess of its rated spec for 25+ years. That’s why nobody in Africa, South America, or the Middle East takes those poser mobiles seriously. I mean, only 450 lb/ft of torque, what a pile!

Insert "peak performance" meme, lol.

Look at the 4wds Aussies use and the type of terrain they manage, it's fucking impressive. They aren't typically gnarly, high clearance vehicles, but they handle extremely long stretches of every type of natural obstacle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I watch a couple of 4x4 Overlanders from Australia and South Africa.  They use those Toyotas and kick a LOT of ass with them.  Form follows function, and those Toyotas are beautiful to me...
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whoever designed that has never taken a physics or engineering course in their life.

Holy shit
View Quote

This is why there are heaps of them all over the globe reliably doing truck things.

Holy shit.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 79 has been around awhile. It’s far from new. lol

This is how I like my 79 Series.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/446382/BA15F3A8-52E0-451B-A890-8E631D1DD2BC_jpe-1866965.JPG
View Quote

Perfection
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Id settle for a new single cab tacoma at this point
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
sorta neat
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
You can thank the insurance lobby paying off government officials to pass laws that increased the cost of every vehicle.  It's not a secret it started in the early 70s and continues to present day.
The insurance lobby at the time dumped millions into campaign/bribes. Criminal trails forced congressional hearing, laws were created to avoid the activities that were directly related to cash = regulation from the insurance lobby buying congressional officials.
Regulations that require thousands of dollars added to every auto that were enacted under the guise of helping to keep the public safe but in reality the regulations were mandated due to the insurance lobby's plan to pass on and spread any loss associated with injury claims to ALL consumers.

Given a choice some people might avoid the 5k in airbags that are added to each vehicle.
The logical way is for the insurance company to give discounts to people who paid for the extra safety equipment, right?
BUT
If your client has an accident thats kills/mains someone who's vehicle wasnt equipped with the multi thousands of dollars of mandated safety equipment the insurance will pay out a much larger claim.
How best to avoid a large payout claims is to force/mandate all parties pay out of their own pockets for the extra protection.
The problem was how to force people who you don't have a relationship with to protect your clients and limits your cost?  Avoid the payout before hand will protect profits.
The best way to avoid paying out claims is to enact a law that forces/mandates ALL consumers share the cost of the every insurance claim.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#13]

91' 2-Door Land Cruiser. V-6 Diesel
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes please
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#15]
G-Wagen pickup for me please

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In the 1940s, Europe got effed up in a war.

In the 50s, their factories were rebuilt and focused on economy models. At the same time, we figured out a way to start MASS PRODUCING chickens in the first factory farms. So chicken prices fell.

By around 1960, VW started making a little air cooled pickup truck. It was thrifty and the Big 3 hated it.

But our cheap chickens were a favorite in Europe, where chickens were raised traditionally on family farms and sold at local markets or to the local butcher. Chicken was expensive.

Several European governments put an import tax on our chickens, and we put an import tax of like 20% on light duty pickup trucks. Or maybe I have those mixed up and reversed.

The tax remains today. Which is why the Subaru Brat was sold with two plastic seats bolted into the bed (to be a four seater and avoid the tax) and why, for a while, Ford Transit vans were shipped to Baltimore with glass windows in them, which were then removed after the vans landed and the utility blank steel panels installed.

That’s the rough outline. YouTube vids and online articles have the real details.

So a trade war which started in post-war Europe between cheap factory farmed chickens and cheap VW pickups is why you can’t have a good light duty pickup truck.
View Quote

The Cargo Sprinters were built in Europe, taken apart, box up and rebuilt in the US. The same van with an extra row of seats shipped complete and ready to go.

Someone else was shipping vans with a second row of "seats" which were thrown out when they got here, same with the window situation.

The Sprinters are now made here 100%, and we get good old South Carolina quality control

I'd love to have a Patrol or real Land Cruiser. The '83 4x4 long bed in the driveway needs a friend.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

V6 or straight 6?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw a couple of brand new 79 series trucks going down I-85 on the back of a Semi when I was going to the NRA show in Atlanta, what was that 18'? They had big GSA boxes in the bed so they were for contractors and/or training.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#20]
My neighbor is an Aussie and he has a 70 series pick up. I would love one, but I also prefer what’s practical and available in North America. I am thinking Jeep Gladiator
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]
All kinds of things overseas that would be cool to have here. I want a Ford Everest:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh I’d love a 79.  

They’re not at all cheap though.

I think you can import older ones at this point, though they won’t have the more modern tech and drivetrain options.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#23]
These trucks are the A-10 of the pickup world, all function and little form.

Is there a website where I can see every vehicle that Toyota makes?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You know why they don't have that here?

Because it's ugly and won't sell.
View Quote

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Insert "peak performance" meme, lol.

Look at the 4wds Aussies use and the type of terrain they manage, it's fucking impressive. They aren't typically gnarly, high clearance vehicles, but they handle extremely long stretches of every type of natural obstacle.
View Quote

Ever notice the trucks you see in third world countries and rugged countries and they aren't lifted and or have all sorts of shit stuck all over them, yet they perform their job well. bling bling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ever notice the trucks you see in third world countries and rugged countries and they aren't lifted and or have all sorts of shit stuck all over them, yet they perform their job well. bling bling.
View Quote

They are functional, with little regard to looks. I like that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just buy a Ford F550 and tell Toyota to suck a tailpipe.
https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/fl0117/fl0117-278930/images/[email protected]
View Quote

That’s not anywhere close to the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All kinds of things overseas that would be cool to have here. I want a Ford Everest:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/ford-everest_jpg-1867822.JPG
View Quote

Lot of people including me thought there was a really good chance that was the new Bronco. Wonder how it stacks up in the lineup.
Quoted:
Me either, they're both retarded.

Why in the fuck would someone want the extra headaches, maintenance and fuel costs of a diesel in a truck that doesn't tow heavy shit? You're correct, Arfcom's fascination with toy diesels is just as asinine as the Brodozer crowd.
View Quote

Some of us remember when the fuel cost difference was offset by the mileage. On modern diesels that’s rarely if ever the case. Unfortunately emissions hosed us. That’s why there are guys putting that new Cummins 2.8 in their Jeep’s and getting 25-30mpg even with 33+ tires.  Can’t do that with emissions.

I don’t know how it is/was with the land cruisers I think they all get crappy mileage.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

V6 or straight 6?
View Quote

you are right, it is a straight...
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because of ugliness?
View Quote
Because they'd sell one... to the OP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, are you Taliban or Al Queda flush with CIA money?  If so, you can order them at fleet price.  That baby is meant to mount a quad on it and with plenty of room for 365 degree rotation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Pretty much worthless to have that length unless you have a single sheet of plywood or a double bed box spring
View Quote

Meanwhile the majority of "trucks" sold in the US have 6' beds that won't hold a sheet of plywood.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
4.5l diesel, manual transmission, locking diffs. And that's about it. All we get is pimped out shit. I understand that it wouldn't make enough money because people are soft and want giant luxury cars as trucks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/293779/LC79_sCab_GX_Sfx_X0_X1_058_French_Vanill-1866917.JPG
View Quote

No, they don’t sell it in the US because the demand isn’t there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you work for Toyota?  You can probably get a job in their engineering division since you don't seem to understand physics.

And 450 lb ft of torque out of a 4.5L diesel is pathetic
View Quote

I can't conceive of any task I could not get done with that truck. I don't need a tow vehicle and neither do 90% of people who buy trucks. You don't "need" power everything in a pimped out interior, plastic chrome, giant wheels and tires, and bed 4 feet off the ground either. A pimpwagon couldn't even be used on the fire roads up here unless you bring a chainsaw and clear the trail.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most Americans are weak minded and their lives are ruled by their TV sets. They are told what they need and want.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I want the Alpha Motors Jax to become a real thing

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Because making vehicles USA compliant is such an ordeal that most manufacturers don't want to spend the time and money on anything that is not going to be a huge seller.
Bumpers, smog and safety requirements are very US specific.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Me either, they're both retarded.

Why in the fuck would someone want the extra headaches, maintenance and fuel costs of a diesel in a truck that doesn't tow heavy shit? You're correct, Arfcom's fascination with toy diesels is just as asinine as the Brodozer crowd.
View Quote

My Hilux is 23 years old. The entirety of maintenance the past 15 years has been an alternator and a starter,it is still on its original clutch. Diesel works out to $4 per gallon here,petrol is nearly $6. It is incredibly reliable,cheaper to fuel,more fuel efficient and I don’t care that it doesn’t have impressive specs and is pretty slow,it just works and will probably still be running in another 20 years.

My daily driver is a Lexus turbo diesel.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I've got that exact one but no such thing as a v6 diesel. Mines got a 3B with a turbo. Fun vehicle that'll last forever, downside is it's not made for modern american roads. Recently I bought a HDJ81 and it's on its way here from Japan. Basically a Landcruiser 80's series with a I6 turbodiesel. Some people here know what they are talking about and others are clueless. A 450lbs of torque in a vehicle that size is more than enough to really go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've got that exact one but no such thing as a v6 diesel. Mines got a 3B with a turbo. Fun vehicle that'll last forever, downside is it's not made for modern american roads. Recently I bought a HDJ81 and it's on its way here from Japan. Basically a Landcruiser 80's series with a I6 turbodiesel. Some people here know what they are talking about and others are clueless. A 450lbs of torque in a vehicle that size is more than enough to really go.
View Quote

Where are you buying them? I don’t think I have the guts to buy a 25 year old Japanese rig but they sure seem cool.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where are you buying them? I don’t think I have the guts to buy a 25 year old Japanese rig but they sure seem cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://carfromjapan.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They could import it. But after getting it to pass emissions, crash testing and adding all required safety equipment, it would cost $30k.

So it’ll be ugly, impractical, and cost as much as a base Tacoma.
View Quote
So get a Hilux instead.  I have one, and very happy with it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats! Make sure those big end bearings in the 1HD-T have been replaced. Are you getting a VX limited? Lockers? Rear AC? Factory winch? Cooler in the center console? So many cool options on those rigs!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#46]
small disagreement with OP's last sentence.

It isn't that I am soft and therefore want those things, it's that I have a family that I need to tote around with me and therefore need those things (4 doors, comfy seats, climate control, fancy radio, etc etc).

One day though, when I'm retired and just toting my own ass around (and maybe the Mrs. too on occasion) I'm ALL about a regular cab basic ass diesel pickup
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I’d be in for either, preferably both.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Congrats! Make sure those big end bearings in the 1HD-T have been replaced. Are you getting a VX limited? Lockers? Rear AC? Factory winch? Cooler in the center console? So many cool options on those rigs!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to learn up on the BEB. It only has 105,000 miles on it. Just a VX, but black and no corrosion. The factory lockers are cool but finding a manual was about impossible and it's nothing I plan on wheeling too hard. That's what my old FJ80 is for.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'd be in for either, preferably both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be in for either, preferably both.
I know the Ranger gets ragged on pretty hard here, but I love mine (with one giant exception: I hate the alternator placement). The Everest is basically a short wheel base current Ranger. As well as my Ranger does offroading (basic trail driving--not rock crawling or anything), the Everest would be awesome to me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Drove this one a few times while in Africa.

Attachment Attached File

This was my company car:

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top