BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

RIIIIIIGHT.

My very first match. Shot it with my duty gear. A stock M&P and AR with Eotech. Went at it cold, didn't even walk the stages beforehand.   Completely blew one stage since I failed to engage a line of plates. I didn't even notice  tucked in below another.

Placed 81 out of 134.  The old guy that shot a standard A1 with iron sights, 20 rd mags and a RA 1911 in a military FLAP HOLSTER hanging from a GI pistol belt  placed 66 and he could not even run.

Yeah, go on and tell me how hard it is.
View Quote
Wait.  You shot a single match.  Presumably a club level match.  Barely made it out of the bottom third.  And got beat by an old man using less than optimal gear...who was a cripple.

And you're using that experience to say that 3 gun isn't that hard?

That's a level of derp that's even a bit much for GD.

81 out of 134 is like, 60th percentile.  If a kid graduated high school with that GPA, I'd say he sucked at school.  If he graduated with that GPA and then said High School wasn't that hard, I'd assume that he was in the special ed class.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m sure he told you that.
View Quote
Well I was there with him. So he didn't have to.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Appearently it's hard enough that you got smoked by an old guy running irons that had mobility issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIIIIIIGHT.

My very first match. Shot it with my duty gear. A stock M&P and AR with Eotech. Went at it cold, didn't even walk the stages beforehand.   Completely blew one stage since I failed to engage a line of plates. I didn't even notice  tucked in below another.

Placed 81 out of 134.  The old guy that shot a standard A1 with iron sights, 20 rd mags and a RA 1911 in a military FLAP HOLSTER hanging from a GI pistol belt  placed 66 and he could not even run.

Appearently it's hard enough that you got smoked by an old guy running irons that had mobility issues.
Yes I was. He had been shooting since the match came to Texas too so I don't feel so bad. That man could REALLY shoot that 45. .  I still beat out a hell of a lot of "seasoned competitors".   When you score worse than a first timer who dropped 6 plates and was slower than a turtle, your shooting skills match is just not that hard or you REALLY  should take up golf.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ITT: a bunch of non-shooting Timmies, who say they would shoot competition BUT....*insert excuse here*

All you guys who TRAIN instead of competing, and all of you would like physical 2 gun; are you going to show up at The Tactical Games?

https://thetacticalgames.com/
View Quote
I bet those fags don’t #thermoregulate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wait.  You shot a single match.  Presumably a club level match.  Barely made it out of the bottom third.  And got beat by an old man using less than optimal gear...who was a cripple.

That's a level of derp that even a bit much for GD.

81 out of 134 is like, 60th percentile.  If a kid graduated high school with that GPA, I'd say he sucked at school.  If he graduated with that GPA and then said High School wasn't that hard, I'd assume that he was in the special ed class.
View Quote
Yep, I beat out %40 of the match and I SUCKED.  It's just not that hard, get over it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes I was. He had been shooting since the match came to Texas too so I don't feel so bad. That man could REALLY shoot that 45. .  I still beat out a hell of a lot of "seasoned competitors".   When you score worse than a first timer who dropped 6 plates and was slower than a turtle, your shooting skills match is just not that hard or you REALLY  should take up golf.
View Quote
If you placed 81st, you weren't beating any seasoned competitors unless they had catastrophic failures and were zeroing out stages.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hush you. This is a shooting forum where we make fun of people that actually get out and shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks fun. Day of shooting, I’d be in.
Hush you. This is a shooting forum where we make fun of people that actually get out and shoot.
No we make fun of people who look like fucking retards shooting gay ass gun games they should be fucking
ashamed of.............
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you placed 81st, you weren't beating any seasoned competitors unless they had catastrophic failures and were zeroing out stages.
View Quote
I shot against this guy one time. He got a reshoot. Pretty sure that's the only reason he beat me.

Attachment Attached File

I
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well I was there with him. So he didn't have to.
View Quote
Did he finish in 81st place, by any chance?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?  Your point? Did you place in the %60 at your first match without a shred of preparation? Then the match was just not that hard, "seasoned" or not.  If I had dropped an entire stage at High Power I flat out guarantee my name would be last on the back page.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

RIIIIIIGHT.

View Quote
Got a link to the scores?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So?  Your point? Did you place in the %60 at your first match without a shred of preparation? Then the match was just not that hard, "seasoned" or not.  If I had dropped an entire stage at High Power I flat out guarantee my name would be last on the back page.
View Quote
I finished in the top third of my first High Power match using a denim jacket and a patch of carpet as a mat, and no 600 yard zero.

I'm not going to say that makes High Power easy because I'm smarter than that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why practice when you can get an expensive, magazine fed shotgun that reloads in 2 seconds? $$$$$$
View Quote
Because then you'll still need a super expensive pistol, and holster to run in that class.  I'm going to assume that you already have a decent rifle, and honestly it could be the least expensive part of the three.

Oh and then you'll still have to practice.  I watched a guy who normally runs open/unlimited still take first shooting his quad load shotgun leaving his saiga (or vepr or whatever) in the truck.

Yes some of the equipment is ridiculous, but it's still a shooting sport that requires a certain level of mastering to be on the top tier.  There are plenty of us who can hang out in the middle, have fun, shoot the shit with some hilarious people, and spend a day shooting our guns.

I've never not had a good time because I felt my equipment wasn't as good as the next guy.  Had a magazine cause jams and lack of lube cause some FTF issues that really upset me because equipment malfunction isn't what I consider to be a shooter error.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

300 yards isn't long range.
View Quote
We shot to 450+ in the rain at East6, 220 sideways between trees and a barrier at SE3, the range at SE2 was weak sauce.

Pistol at E6 was at that damn Polish rack with 8 inch plate at 25 yards. That is way harder than two hits on IPSC paper.

After the other stuff, less the chug.

I have seen nothing like this in the 3G Ranges on the Tube. Perhaps they don't post those videos that show the tougher ranges.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm the MD of an annual LE/MIL only multi-gun match that brings in competitors from all over the US. It's really a 2-gun match, but we always have one stage that starts with a prop 870 initially used to breach a door then engage some shotgun plates before transitioning to a pistol and/or rifle. We provide ammo and bring four shotguns to keep the stage running. Two shotguns will keep the stage running smoothly, but we always start with four since we're often down to two by the end of the match due to parts breakages.

Here's a competitor's video of last year's match (shotgun stage starts at 5:56) that I found on youtube (paper targets on that stage require 2 body / 1 head shot to neutralize):

2018 Texas Law Enforcement Multi-gun Championship Cpl. Jeremy Dunn

80% of our competitors have never and will never shoot another match besides ours, so we tailor our stages for them knowing that it will end up being a hose-fest for the top shooters. We've actually changed our equipment rules every year to try to accommodate the most amount of people, but honestly most of them don't really care--they just want to shoot, have fun, and test their skills as this is the only place most of them get to shoot like this.
View Quote
I've never gotten an invitation to your match... I'd like to come sometime...
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We shot to 450+ in the rain at East6, 220 sideways between trees and a barrier at SE3, the range at SE2 was weak sauce.

Pistol at E6 was at that damn Polish rack with 8 inch plate at 25 yards. That is way harder than two hits on an IPSC paper.

I have seen nothing like this in the 3G Ranges on the Tube. Perhaps they don't post those videos that show the tougher ranges.
View Quote
I'm guessing they're talking about 3 Gun Nation videos. 3GN pushed hoser stages because they looked good on TV, but that's not representative of a majority of 3 gun.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No we make fun of people who look like fucking retards shooting gay ass gun games they should be fucking
ashamed of.............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ashamed of.............
Pretty strong wording considering 3 gunners are some of the best shooters in the world.

Look up the results for the "world shoot" all ammo and  guns are provided and all major disciplines are represented. Guess who won? Guess who the Top 50% of shooters were comprised of....

All the gear in the world dosnt mean snot if your not a strong shooter, ive seen it countless times and its kinda sad.... You cant spend your way to being a respected shooter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did he finish in 81st place, by any chance?
View Quote
No.

He was just really good with a pistol and good enough with the 870 he could load it fast and didn't miss often.  Best shot I ever saw him take was a running one hand no look shot on a lollipop at 10 yards.

Now the gamers would have those 13+1 guns and the long tube loader things. It was always fun to watch then miss the load and shells would go flying everywhere.

But that was before ammo got crazy expensive and everyone quit shooting as much.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pistol at E6 was at that damn Polish rack with 8 inch plate at 25 yards. That is way harder than two hits on IPSC paper.

View Quote
Yep. Super easy. I don't think it's long range until it gets over 700.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've never gotten an invitation to your match... I'd like to come sometime...
View Quote
IM sent.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, you snagged a picture with JM so you're totes legit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long range is 1k+.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL

5.56 at that range, on steel.  You can't even call the hits from the clang.

I shot to 600 Friday using my Grendel and 5.56. The 5.56 was pretty much useless on steel that far.  700 would be a waste with one.

Here is my pop trying my Grendel at 500.  You can hear the clang.  It is far enough he has his head off the stock before it even gets back to us.
My Pop learned the value of a Grendel, 500 yards on steel
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most 3 gun matches are ran at public ranges. High power and 3 gun are usually separate entities within the club. Sometimes they play nice, but the biggest issue is just high power being in use at the same time as your club match.
Rio Salado in Mesa AZ is very good at getting the high power bays the club matches and we frequently get to shoot farther than 300.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I finished in the top third of my first High Power match using a denim jacket and a patch of carpet as a mat, and no 600 yard zero.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my first Hi-power match (1974) I placed third from the bottom. 6 relays with a club Garand.  The only reason I did not place next to last was one of them had heat exhaustion and didn't shoot the 600.  The real winners in High Power are determined by the numbers of "X" hits. I knew damn well EVERYONE there was better than me.

The first   match above I shot was easy.  Not even really stressful.  I hit every target I saw. My own fuckup cost me but the only real difficulty  was speed and being unfamiliar with the game. That came with repetition. It should have been a hell of a lot harder.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ought to be a picture of a bunch of guys sitting on the ground for hours waiting to shoot for 30 seconds
View Quote
Or a bunch of guys sitting in basements screeching about some goofs doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In my first Hi-power match (1974) I placed third from the bottom. 6 relays with a club Garand.  The only reason I did not place next to last was one of them had heat exhaustion and didn't shoot the 600.  The real winners in High Power are determined by the numbers of "X" hits. I knew damn well EVERYONE there was better than me.

The first   match above I shot was easy.  Not even really stressful.  I hit every target I saw. My own fuckup cost me but the only real difficulty  was speed and being unfamiliar with the game. That came with repetition. It should have been a hell of a lot harder.
View Quote
@john-in-austin
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@john-in-austin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@john-in-austin
Nope.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nope.
View Quote
Well, we will all take you at your word then.......
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, you snagged a picture with JM so you're totes legit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241349/IMG_1575_JPG-896911.JPG
View Quote
I didn't say I was.  But I have shot with a lot of good shooters.  That grew up shooting with Jerry and his brother.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I shoot multigun, USPSA, or PRS at least once a week.

I have to admit I'd like it more if the established league rules, which is all there seems to be around here, had limited/practical/factory divisions that were actually LIMITED/PRACTICAL/FACTORY. UML "limited" is laughably named. I've actually been having more fun after switching away from supah-extendos, giant magwell funnels, and all that. Strangely enough my scores haven't really suffered much because of that change since I'm shooting more than ever. It's frustrating knowing I could be faster if I switch back to gamer gear but that's OK, I know the game and how it's played going in and I'm the one choosing to play differently. I still shoot it because it's "hella fun" and I've become a much better shooter than I ever was before.

I enjoy the time spent with some cool people but again, I do have to admit that spending 10-13 hours sometimes to shoot for less than 5 minutes is a horribly inefficient use of time even if the socializing is fun considering I could always just get a bunch of friends to hit the range, set up a "stage", and shoot non-stop for a few hours and still be home with guns cleaned in less time.

Haters gunna hate. Hater haters gunna hate haters. I'm too busy shooting to do either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL

5.56 at that range, on steel.  You can't even call the hits from the clang.

I shot to 600 Friday using my Grendel and 5.56. The 5.56 was pretty much useless on steel that far.  700 would be a waste with one.

Here is my pop trying my Grendel at 500.  You can hear the clang.  It is far enough he has his head off the stock before it even gets back to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcXF3EyKLOA
View Quote
75 grains can shoot that far pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’m thinking of getting into it with a few coworkers but it seems like another equipment race that requires a few grand to be competitive.
View Quote
It is what you make it.

I could play with a police trade in G17, Palmetto AR, and a stoeger m3000 with a tube and home done loading port.  So $450, $400, $600.

If you are doing it right, the guns are cheap and the ammo is expensive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
So why did you suck so bad, then?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most 3 gun matches are ran at public ranges. High power and 3 gun are usually separate entities within the club. Sometimes they play nice, but the biggest issue is just high power being in use at the same time as your club match.
Rio Salado in Mesa AZ is very good at getting the high power bays the club matches and we frequently get to shoot farther than 300.
View Quote
The one I used to shoot was private range. We had 350. It was no problem.  They had room for more but they had safety concerns and actually moved it back down to just 300 yards.

But 300 yards isn't a hard shot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haha this.

For those of you gawking, keep in mind you’re looking at open guns.  I’m sure you’d criticize open USPSA guns for their “lack of practical applications” but it’s a game.  And fun.

I love 2 gun and also shoot 3 gun in the Tac Ops division which prohibits brakes, speed loaders, optics, and box magazines on shotguns.  This really evens out the playing field.

You can also shoot limited or heavy, in which there are even greater restrictions on rifles and shotguns.

Either way, whatever you like, I think all the shooting sports are great.  Nothing trains you faster than a timer and a bunch of people with all eyes on you!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it’s worth it just to shoot the steel at our club level matches, also shooting on the clock is challenging you’re not just hitting targets, you’re solving problems with guns. I think it’s a good way to develop and excercise your “shooting brain” and learn to take your time in a hurry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
ITT: a bunch of non-shooting Timmies, who say they would shoot competition BUT....*insert excuse here*

All you guys who TRAIN instead of competing, and all of you would like physical 2 gun; are you going to show up at The Tactical Games?

https://thetacticalgames.com/
View Quote
I had an interesting conversation with the guy who runs the tactical games when we were both at rockcastle this winter.

A bunch of 3 gunners showed up and did really well against the tactical timmies because, surprise surprise,  when it came time to put bullets on target,  they did it fast.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Herr durr: It's just a shotgun reloading contest!

Derpy durr: Hey that shotgun holds so many rounds you don't need to reload!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But 300 yards isn't a hard shot.
View Quote
That depends on what you’re shooting at, and how quickly everyone else hits it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’d like to try a 3-gun match. I’d run it with an 870, but I’d probably put a +3 tube extension on it. Shooting stuff is fun, how you place is secondary.
View Quote
come on out!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That depends on what you’re shooting at, and how quickly everyone else hits it.

View Quote
This is true.  I was shooting at a 4 inch plate in 25 MPH winds today at 300. It was a challange.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

RIIIIIIGHT.

View Quote
81 out of 134.  Dont aim too high there Carl Lewis.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's a level of derp that's even a bit much for GD.

View Quote
Not to mention that usually there is a 15-20% performance gap from a guy like Daniel Horner to the guy who gets 5th or 6th.  If you place mid pack your percentage of the winner is usually in the 50s.  Meaning it took you twice as fucking long to clear the course as the winner.

Overall placement means jack shit.  Percent of performance vs. the match winner tells the real story.  If someone legit was there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yep, I beat out %40 of the match and I SUCKED.  It's just not that hard, get over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a level of derp that even a bit much for GD.

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep. All you need is a 200 dollar caddie and you will instantly be loading 8 shells in less than 4 seconds. Has nothing to do with hundreds of hours of  dryfire practice or anything like that.
View Quote
Try quad loading a factory 11-87.  After quite a bit of practice, best I could do consistently without fumbling shells was basically half a quad load, and it was slow because of the latch.  I wasn't even competing against myself really, I was at a wall with loading the shotgun.  Stages with 15+ shotgun targets were pretty painfully slow.  I got a lot of looks showing up to three gun matches with my 5 shot wood stocked 11-87, not in a bad way, mostly kudos for making it work.

I almost sprung for a tactical type shotgun or a Mossberg Jam Master, but I have no other use for such a gun.  I'll just stick to USPSA/IDPA, pretty easy to just run what you have in those sports.  I can just use my night stand P09 or CCW 75 PCR for either and be competitive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is true.  I was shooting at a 4 inch plate in 25 MPH winds today at 300. It was a challange.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends on what you're shooting at, and how quickly everyone else hits it.

On the clock vs. Just plinking also creates a level of difficulty
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
What would you consider a “hard” match?  Where you just give up and go home halfway through?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top