Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We shot to 450+ in the rain at East6, 220 sideways between trees and a barrier at SE3, the range at SE2 was weak sauce.

Pistol at E6 was at that damn Polish rack with 8 inch plate at 25 yards. That is way harder than two hits on IPSC paper.

After the other stuff, less the chug.

I have seen nothing like this in the 3G Ranges on the Tube. Perhaps they don't post those videos that show the tougher ranges.
View Quote
https://youtu.be/wP8m0h7R2jA
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where do you shoot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d like to try a 3-gun match. I’d run it with an 870, but I’d probably put a +3 tube extension on it. Shooting stuff is fun, how you place is secondary.
come on out!
Where do you shoot?
I need to get back into it regularly, but in the DFW area, at Triple C and ETTS; I will also try some of the USPSA and steel matches at Mission 160... I do local club matches at Dallas Pistol Club and with Tyler Tactical Shooters in Mineola
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We shot to 450+ in the rain at East6, 220 sideways between trees and a barrier at SE3, the range at SE2 was weak sauce.

Pistol at E6 was at that damn Polish rack with 8 inch plate at 25 yards. That is way harder than two hits on IPSC paper.

After the other stuff, less the chug.

I have seen nothing like this in the 3G Ranges on the Tube. Perhaps they don't post those videos that show the tougher ranges.
View Quote
https://youtu.be/K8ZTZTF7kKI
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people do.

The rest, complain.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nailed it!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is NOT what I saw when I checked it out.  I would do that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same, totally legit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
That looks like a fun stage.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't have any video from the Rock Hard match.  Because there is no way I could have kept my camera on my head.  Slung rifle on every stage and at all times.  Par time of 5 minutes on every stage.  I averaged 4 min 11 seconds per stage, and never par'ed out.  7th in Hard Ass division which shot the entire match in one day.  The only gun what was ever abandoned was the shotgun.  Done with your handgun?  Holster it and carry on. Done with your rifle?  It stays on the sling.

I ran and walked 14 miles that day between shooting and resetting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't wait to shoot this silly looking thing at 125 yards at CWW.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No we make fun of people who look like fucking retards shooting gay ass gun games they should be fucking
ashamed of.............
View Quote
Top 3 gun shooters like the late Mike Voight brought about a paradigm shift in the way JSOC SMUs shot the AR carbine.

This trickled down to white SF and then regular units.

It is no exaggeration that a lot of Tier 1/SF guys are alive today because of the shooting skills guys like Mike taught them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Shotguns are FUN.

I couldn't have done that part as fast with a pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsPq06QXLI
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Top 3 gun shooters like the late Mike Voight brought about a paradigm shift in the way JSOC SMUs shot the AR carbine.

It is no exaggeration that a lot of Tier 1/SF guys are alive today because of the shooting skills guys like Mike taught them.
View Quote
RIP Mike.....

You speak truth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
There are some current and retired HSLD guys who shoot 3 gun.

They are fucking good.  I'm not going to name names because fuck that.  But if you know who they are you will see them if you peruse the results of some major matches.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand but at the same time don't understand the opposition to learning how to load a shotgun and play the game.

The very first match I shot, I had no shotgun gear, and a guy handed me a benelli that I had never seen before.  Had no idea what the shell cut off button was or what it did.  I figured it out on the clock and had a blast.

That was back in the days of the weak hand load and also arm bands and side saddles.

Then quad loading happened.  I bought a caddy for that and taught myself how to quad load in about 2 hours.

It's a game.  If you don't like it, don't play.  If you play, you will be welcomed by the entire crowd and we will bend over backwards to help new shooters.

Don't have a shotgun?  Here, shoot my Benelli.  Your rifle broke?  Here, use mine.

Here's a tip for all you guys who have never shot any kind of gravity target like a Texas Star.  ALWAYS start at the top and work your way down.  Shoot it correctly and it will barely move.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Those were the days......

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I could afford the obscene amounts they spend on ammo, me too.

Not to mention the weapons/gear.

Even if you reload, it's not a poor mans sport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks fun. Day of shooting, I’d be in.

Nor is it practical. I was looking at getting into it but realized it’s not my thing. But , to each his own.

I have started doing run and guns that have more practical stages and add in a little cardio to get the heart rate up. Also, you don’t have to have $10,000 in guns and gear to compete!

I still need to get to a Cola War!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/uQjwn9D.jpg
View Quote
Aw man, there you go triggering the memories...

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At the last major match I attended met a young man who decided that his first 3 gun match ever would be the state championship.

He brought an 870 and he loaded it one at a time from a USGI Alice magazine pouch.

Never herd him complain once about about the "gear fags" with VEPRs and quad load caddies.
View Quote
My first 3 gun match was today , and I was using a borrowed 870 with a mag tube lol I was more concerned with my own safety, not getting DQd and having fun than giving a shit on what anyone else was shooting. There’s so much derp in this thread I don’t even know where to start.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ErikS, a Cola Warrior ROed me through much of this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhSbdtlAMZU

Generation 3 Gun 2018 Stage 8

Shotguns are fun.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you placed 81st, you weren't beating any seasoned competitors unless they had catastrophic failures and were zeroing out stages.
View Quote
And from the gear he was running he was only in limited or tactical anyway so he was running against daisy fresh noobs like me
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Almost every magazine fed style shotgun I saw today ran like shit and jammed every other round.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Almost every magazine fed style shotgun I saw today ran like shit and jammed every other round.
View Quote
Saigas?  I never saw a saiga make it through an entire match without choking.

The MKA 1919's seem to have a pretty good rep though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nor is it practical. I was looking at getting into it but realized it’s not my thing. But , to each his own.

I have started doing run and guns that have more practical stages and add in a little cardio to get the heart rate up. Also, you don’t have to have $10,000 in guns and gear to compete!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the best in the game use a G17.  If your shotgun runs, that is all you need.  Stoeger M3000 is good to go for about $500.  Any M4 with an optic that holds zero is all you need.

It is what you make it.

The idea that you need to spend 10 grand is just wrong.

Most of the guys who bitch about the cost have $10000 worth of guns that they don't ever shoot sitting in a closet and probably pay for a golf membership.

I remember a guy looking at me all bug eyed when I told him what my Razor cost.  Guy has a house full of $300 Fudd guns but the concept of spending twice as much on half as many doesn't even occur to him.  Have fun with your Mosins, Elmer.

I've got buddies on a budget who I have helped get into the game.  A few afternoons in their garage, slowly opening up their loading port with a file and bullshitting.

Add a tube and they have a 3-gun shotgun for under $600.

Some guys go buy a brand new Benelli for $1400 and then pay a smith $800 to race it out.

You CAN throw money at it, or you can take your time and do just fine.  My 3-Gun Benelli came from an old duck hunter.  He broke it in for me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Was it easy, and did you place in the top 60%?
View Quote
Lol no and no. The person who said it was easy is an idiot. It was fun and 3 gun guys are cool as hell though. I don’t see why a shooting competition on a shooting website is getting so much hate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian Butcher has the only Saiga that I have seen that actually runs.

He keeps his ammo in a cooler though.  

Such is open division.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@ErikS, a Cola Warrior ROed me through much of this match.

Shotguns are fun.  
View Quote
Sounds like Johny.

But not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Such is open division.
View Quote
a few guys just in my squad we’re running vr80s and they jammed up a lot too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My first 3 gun match was today , and I was using a borrowed 870 with a mag tube lol I was more concerned with my own safety, not getting DQd and having fun than giving a shit on what anyone else was shooting. There’s so much derp in this thread I don’t even know where to start.
View Quote
Good on you for coming out.

Competition WILL make you a better shooter.  If you have competition specific questions, Enos Forum is a wealth of information although a lot of that crowd is kinda 'old guard'.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's been my experience with people shooting mag fed shotguns.

I think it's more the mags just suck than the gun.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such is open division.
Open division ain't for me.  If it were, there is a lot of merit to those old tube fed guns.

If you notice, Jerry Miculek is still running the old school loading tubes.  Yes, he is sponsored by Mossberg.  But those enormous shotgun mags aren't exactly quick to load or easy to handle.  And he can throw in a tube at any time.

I always recommend to new shooters that they play in Limited or Tac Optics division.  For a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Open division ain't for me.  If it were, there is a lot of merit to those old tube fed guns.

If you notice, Jerry Miculek is still running the old school loading tubes.  Yes, he is sponsored by Mossberg.  But those enormous shotgun mags aren't exactly quick to load or easy to handle.  And he can throw in a tube at any time.

I always recommend to new shooters that they play in Limited or Tac Optics division.  For a variety of reasons.
View Quote
There’s 2 more matches at this club this year. I need to get a shotgun of my own, a new optic for my AR and some other odds and ends, but I’m going to stick with tactical division
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Heavy Metal sure ain't where its at these days.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There’s 2 more matches at this club this year. I need to get a shotgun of my own, a new optic for my AR and some other odds and ends, but I’m going to stick with tactical division
View Quote
What part of ILL is home?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#36]
More 3 gun fun, because fuck the haters....

https://youtu.be/fz_ePPNbLsI

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What part of ILL is home?
View Quote
Bloomington area
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/uQjwn9D.jpg
View Quote
'Been to Rockcastle many times BRM3G has always delivered.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some of the best in the game use a G17.  If your shotgun runs, that is all you need.  Stoeger M3000 is good to go for about $500.  Any M4 with an optic that holds zero is all you need.

It is what you make it.

Most of the guys who bitch about the cost have $10000 worth of guns that they don't ever shoot sitting in a closet and probably pay for a golf membership.

I remember a guy looking at me all bug eyed when I told him what my Razor cost.  Guy has a house full of $300 Fudd guns but the concept of spending twice as much on half as many doesn't even occur to him.  Have fun with your Mosins, Elmer.

I've got buddies on a budget who I have helped get into the game.  A few afternoons in their garage, slowly opening up their loading port with a file and bullshitting.

Some guys go buy a brand new Benelli for $1400 and then pay a smith $800 to race it out.

You CAN throw money at it, or you can take your time and do just fine.  My 3-Gun Benelli came from an old duck hunter.  He broke it in for me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is what you make it.

No thanks. I still prefer more practical courses of fire with physical activities built in.

2 gun and run and guns is where I stay! Maybe a C war one day... maybe
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's been my experience with people shooting mag fed shotguns.

I think it's more the mags just suck than the gun.
View Quote
Think about it like a semi-auto rifle, but it's a straightwall and the bullet is a wadcutter. It's not going to work well. If you don't have a lifter to position the case properly, the shell just isn't going to feed well unless you have a tapered chamber to the point that you're blowing out case-heads.

Whatever. I learned to throw shells in a port in my cowboy shooting days. I'll take .75-1.25s splits single-feeding a pump all day if it means I get to run between positions instead of heel-toeing as I shove shit in a tube.

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean this Michael Voigt?

If so, I did not know that.

Remember Jerry "The Burner" Barnhart?

He like totally dropped off the radar for quite a few years.

Then he popped up.

Turns out he was teaching our snake eaters how to shoot.

Then he went to some big Steel Challenge match and damn near won the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They are fucking good.  I'm not going to name names because fuck that.  But if you know who they are you will see them if you peruse the results of some major matches.
View Quote
I am pretty sure I watched and/or shot a USPSA match back in the mid 90's with PatMac out in the sticks of North Carolina

(for the kids following along at home, that was pre-internet, pre-smart phones, pre-vehicle GPS, and pre-google maps.  The guy at the Dillon showroom like gun store (pawn shop?) had to literally draw me a map to that range/USPSA match)
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
More 3 gun fun, because fuck the haters....

https://youtu.be/fz_ePPNbLsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz_ePPNbLsI
View Quote
That is right up my alley. It has been established that your 3G is not what I have been exposed to. The stuff I have seen has equated to memorizing a choreographed short course where the fastest dancer won.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is right up my alley. It has been established that your 3G is not what I have been exposed to. The stuff I have seen has equated to memorizing a choreographed short course where the fastest dancer won.  
View Quote
What you seek is a natural terrain outlaw match.  SC is too far for me to know much about what matches/ranges/match directors in your area are good to go.  Pretty sure that part of the USA has an active 3-gun scene.

A lot of the time you can tell what sort of match to expect by pulling up a google earth view of the range.  If it looks like a pistol only range, expect a bunch of bay stages.

I dislike 'memory' stages.  But I don't mind some tough to see targets on a jungle run through the woods.

A good match director can make good stages with smaller bays.  But it limits what they can do.

That being said, there is something to the 'choreograph' of a high level USPSA shooter.  Efficiency on entrance and exit into shooting positions, are the little 1/3 of a second differences that add up to make a match winner.

Pistol skills are the most perishable, and there is a lot to be learned about hitting stuff fast from the elite USPSA guys.

My pistols skills have diminished somewhat as I have focused more on 3-gun and PRS and less on USPSA.  I need to correct that.  I have been missing shots that I shouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Do the make a belt fed 12 gauge?

cause 24 rounds in a vepr 12 is just not enough
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure I watched and/or shot a USPSA match back in the mid 90's with PatMac out in the sticks of North Carolina

(for the kids following along at home, that was pre-internet, pre-smart phones, pre-vehicle GPS, and pre-google maps.  The guy at the Dillon showroom like gun store (pawn shop?) had to literally draw me a map to that range/USPSA match)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PatMac did shoot Uspsa for awhile. So you probably did.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You will definitely see some ridiculous shit like that at a 3 gun.  2 foot long mag tubes and the loaders hanging off the guy's belt to feed them.
View Quote
It depends on if they have classes of guns.  The ones I go to have 5 different classes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Think about it like a semi-auto rifle, but it's a straightwall and the bullet is a wadcutter. It's not going to work well. If you don't have a lifter to position the case properly, the shell just isn't going to feed well unless you have a tapered chamber to the point that you're blowing out case-heads.

Whatever. I learned to throw shells in a port in my cowboy shooting days. I'll take .75-1.25s splits single-feeding a pump all day if it means I get to run between positions instead of heel-toeing as I shove shit in a tube.

Fuck that.
View Quote
There’s no reason you can’t quad load on the run.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Pretty sure Jesse was just screwing around with this setup.  I'm not sure if it was completely a joke or just an experiment to see if the gun would actually cycle.

Adding that much weight to an inertia gun could cause function issues potentially.

Yes, the 12 round shotgun tubes are a little ridiculous.

Some matches (Blue Ridge Mountain) do have capacity restrictions (8 rounds for BRM if I recall correctly).

Just because you don't like certain aspects of the game doesn't change the fact that there are some very high level shooters involved in it.  Competition will make you better.  You can get out of it what you put into it.

Quite a few match directors are now designing matches that can be shot either with 2 or 3 guns, with the pistol picking up the shotgun targets.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I can't wait to shoot this silly looking thing at 125 yards at CWW.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173565/IMG_20190330_115536_jpg-896164_JPG_jpg-897049.JPG
View Quote
Damn, I wouldn't want to reset that prickly bastard!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top