BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Social Media often causes "problems."
This is the reason I avoid it like the plague.
Alcohol often causes "problems."
I avoid it like a plague.
Recreational drugs often cause "problems."
I avoid them like a plague.
Do you see a pattern developing here?
Someone needs to have a talk with this "church leader" and point out to him how his actions "look." If this is an ongoing problem
there should be some "stronger" action taken. I think this would go a long way in taking care of the problem.
I think I read where the young lady had lost her father. This makes her more vulnerable and perhaps the "church leader" is trying to fill that void. He may not be socially astute enough to realize how creepy he is coming off. Hence my suggestion to let him know he is not the only one aware of the girls situation. If it was an innocent mistake on his part, he can correct it. If he really is a "creeper," I'm sure that will be taken care of quickly with little collateral damage to the girl.
I am high school staff and I handle a lot of discipline problems related to "social media." I would also point out that it can also be inappropriate for a teen aged girl to communicate with an adult male(or female for that matter.) depending on the content of that communication. For this reason I do not engage in social media contacts with any of my students, even the ones related to me. I avoid any appearance of impropriety. When I find myself in a room alone with a student, I open the door and prop it open. I care for my students and often comment to them but I choose my words carefully.
View Quote
You have no self control?

Don't solicit 15 year old girls and you won't have any problems. Don't become a raging alcoholic and you won't have any problems...

I have Instagram, I drink alcohol, I don't have these problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Grooming might be questionable, but highly inappropriate bordering on lecherous.  If he won't take a hint, I see a more directly persuasive discussion coming his way soon.

Edited based on additional info in the thread.  He needs to be lit up hard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Inserts himself into positions of power over kids, making inappropriate comments towards a teenage girl, sending private messages to a teenage girl... Are you going to wait for him to try to have sex with her, or you going to do something now about the creep.
View Quote
I think it's probably more to do with his son dating the girl than him "inserting himself into positions of power"
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Creepy and inappropriate for sure.

Worthy of the extreme violence that some on here are calling for: probably not, at least not yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely weird. I'm going to go with completely inappropriate. Dad was fishing.

Edit. If it was my daughter, I would have her respond and set him up. Get a secret meeting set up and let LE take it from there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most likely not. I would bet they have exchanged numbers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the mother could do something logical, like tell her to remove the dude from her contacts list on all social media.

That would probably curb about 100% of the comments in a matter of seconds.
Most likely not. I would bet they have exchanged numbers.
So get a new number and block his o the new phone.

People love to take something that is maybe an oddity and let it roll into an actual problem, when the solution is often very simple.

Don't want a guy contacting you, cut contact. If he persists despite that, start taking actions to curb it. Women should know this stuff, and teach their daughters that it's okay to ghost creepy people.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ha.

Seriously. He’s in leadership at a local church. Girl’s family confided in wife and me. It sets off alarm bells for me and my wife. I’m considering taking it to his church leadership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds creepy. You should stop sending her messages
Ha.

Seriously. He’s in leadership at a local church. Girl’s family confided in wife and me. It sets off alarm bells for me and my wife. I’m considering taking it to his church leadership.
Girl's family certainly should.  And based on the response be prepared to leave that church immediately, especially if his leadership involves church youth in any way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP I deal with these types of people for a living.

1. Grown men comment on a child's social media is odd.
2. Grown men making comments about a child's appearance on social media is even more abnormal.
3. Privately messaging a child about "seeing more" is a straight shot at asking for pics. This typically leads to talking about relationships, then sex, then asking to see "more."
4. All contact with this man should be severed immediately.
5. This girl isn't the only one he is creeping on.

These men typically try to play off their comments and comms as "innocent" and "just being nice." They usually are anything but that.  They become more brazen when their BS isn't challenged directly and especially when their target seems to go along with their advances.
View Quote
See OP?

Get the police involved - let them do some digging on what is likely a legit pedo/creep.

This shit exists because people are too chickenshit to address it and stop it.
“I don’t want to ruin someone’s reputation.” Blah blah.

I wouldn’t want to live with the burden of reading the news years from now when that creeper gets busted...
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pedophiles are attracted to prepubescent children. A 15 year old is of childbearing age.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/fVw58iP-49.gif
While kinda a creepy way of saying it, technically it's not incorrect. Throughout history plenty of 15 year olds had children, it is possible. But back then people didn't live anywhere as long either 15 could already be over 1/3rd of the way through life (as is 25-30 nowadays) so everything was done at a much younger age.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People love to take something that is maybe an oddity and let it roll into an actual problem, when the solution is often very simple.

Don't want a guy contacting you, cut contact. If he persists despite that, start taking actions to curb it. Women should know this stuff, and teach their daughters that it's okay to ghost creepy people.
View Quote
The girl is young and impressionable. She may not want to cut contact. Grooming has that affect.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thats way over the line and beyond a misunderstanding. Advise the girls parents to go to tell the church. If for some reason they won't, then you should.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea but just because he isn't contacting you anymore doesn't mean he won't hurt someone else.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have 3 daughters under the age of 18.  If they had been sent messages like that I would make it clear to the sender that he is to cease and desist.  If he chooses not to then LEO will be called.  I would also make it very public about what he sent in order to give a heads up to others.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has a bit of a rep as being a womanizer.  But super effective at coming off sincere and spiritual.
View Quote
Like a certain "pastor" from Florida?

Take it to the cops as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea but just because he isn't contacting you anymore doesn't mean he won't hurt someone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As cold as it sounds, my family comes first.

I'll keep my house clean, other people need to make sure to do the same. If the threat is removed from my child, my job is likely done, especially when it's only some weird social media comments by an old guy (who may just be socially awkward), not my place to launch a full scale seek and destroy mission.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Alarms should be going off. He needs to be called out on that, especially given his profession.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#19]
About as creepy as Joe Biden in a room full of Girl Scouts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Dad is fishing, and creepy. He shouldn't be following the kid after his personal connection is gone.

Block and move on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Has this man asked anyone to have a seat?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure it's been said, but why his church? They can't do anything about it. Try the police department. They can actually look into it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Completely inappropriate comments that any normal man would never say to a young girl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Completely inappropriate comments that any normal man would never say to a young girl.
Quoted:

Inserts himself into positions of power over kids, making inappropriate comments towards a teenage girl, sending private messages to a teenage girl... Are you going to wait for him to try to have sex with her, or you going to do something now about the creep.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ha.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha.

Church you say? This went from creepy to start interviewing ten from the youth group.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
15 year old boy and girl are dating. Boy breaks up with girl. No big deal. He just isn’t into her that much and she’s a bit insecure and clingy...as 15 year old girls can be.

Boy’s dad, 50 years old, has commented on her Instagram posts a couple of times while kids dated and it’s fairly innocuous.

A month or two after the break-up, girl posts a picture of herself in a little black dress. Nothing risqué. Kind of a glamour shot type thing.
Boy’s dad comments on picture with the heart-eyes emoji and says “very pretty girl”.

A week or two later, girl posts a selfie of her in her bathing suit during spring break.
Boy’s dad posts the same comment as before except uses “beautiful” instead.

A month later, boy’s dad initiates a message saying “hey pretty girl, am I ever going to see you again?”
Girl replies “sure”.
Boy’s dad replies “how?”
Girl replies “me and (son) are still friends. God put us in each other’s lives. I’m sure (son) and I will be hanging out again at some point.”

Girl is fairly naive but says she felt a bit creeped out by the messages. But boy’s dad didn’t respond after her reply.

Was the dad fishing? Or was it a big ole misunderstanding?
View Quote
He’s fishing IMO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wrinkle:

Girl showed us the Instagram messages and emailed them to my wife. But we’re not sure if she is old enough to consent to us using/distributing the messages to the church or LE. Kentucky is a one party recording state.

Local LE officer I spoke to about it (I maintained confidentiality of girl’s ID) said it is probably not enough to prosecute the guy over but they’d definitely go have a talk with him if the girl’s parents will OK it.

Girl’s dad passed away a few years ago and single mom is a wreck. The mom has had legal problems of her own and is kinda waffling on whether to come forward or not.

I know what this guy is and what he’s capable of. But we might have a mom who might want to put her head in the sand.
View Quote
Another red flag, for sure.  If mom won't do anything print copies, put them in an envelope, and drop them in the collection plate.  See what happens next.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm sure it's been said, but why his church? They can't do anything about it. Try the police department. They can actually look into it.
View Quote
Get both. One for purposes of ostricization and removing him from position of authority over kids. The other to face legal ramifications.

And if it's cool and innocent like some posters are suggesting, it won't hurt the guy's feelings to have the church know about his actions. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Dad is a creeper
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know of any grown adult men who should be "friends" on instagram with underage girls unless family or maaaaaybeeee sports related (coach, mentor etc) but that's kind of a stretch.

Lock that down asap.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#30]
insert your foot in his ass then go jogging for about 5 miles
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know of any grown adult men who should be "friends" on instagram with underage girls unless family or maaaaaybeeee sports related (coach, mentor etc) but that's kind of a stretch.

Lock that down asap.
View Quote
I've declined multiple friend requests from kids in the community that are still in high school (some of them I don't even know personally, they just know who I am because of family)

I'm twice their age, we have no business seeing what the other one is up to on social media. Children should be taught not to accept requests from strangers or people that are much older than them that aren't family, and adults should know better than to follow anyone underage on any social media platforms.

I never even got into local social media (forums are different as they have anonymity) until my late 20's, and I use FB for following the marketplace, my business page, and following the local sports teams records primarily. Kids should be kept away from it until they are adults with all their neurons firing in the correct order.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#32]
My daughters aren't at the age where they want social media but it's probably coming soon. I probably won't allow it. I'm not on social media unless you count this place and youtube. Long story short if a 50 year old man or any grown man made those types of comments to my daughters there would be problems. He 100% was looking for a different response, phishing or whatever you wanna call it and to think anything otherwise is insane.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Girl’s dad passed away a few years ago and single mom is a wreck. The mom has had legal problems of her own and is kinda waffling on whether to come forward or not.

I know what this guy is and what he’s capable of. But we might have a mom who might want to put her head in the sand.
View Quote
I’d meet with the mom and offer to be her advocate if I was qualified or find a sympathetic lawyer and pay him to help her contact the police so she’s not doing it on her own.

The home situation screams vulnerability and grooming.  It’s like a chocolate chip cookie recipe for a predator in a position of power.

How you and other men rally around her in this situation will probably define her relationships for the rest of her life.  Fight the good fight for her because she’s not able and her mom might not be up for it either.

Do nothing and watch her life collapse in coming years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My daughters aren't at the age where they want social media but it's probably coming soon. I probably won't allow it. I'm not on social media unless you count this place and youtube. Long story short if a 50 year old man or any grown man made those types of comments to my daughters there would be problems. He 100% was looking for a different response, phishing or whatever you wanna call it and to think anything otherwise is insane.
View Quote
I'm keeping my kids away from it as long as possible.

I'm not going to be a militant "no phones" guy, since that is unreasonable, but they will have an expectation that phones stay by the front door when at home, and any social media can be monitored by me at any time, so they better not do anything stupid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I guess an uncomfortable situation like this will determine whether the church is worth staying with or not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#37]
She should quit posting pics of herself on social media.  Instagram needs to die a horrible death along with facebook.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Please do. That's completely inappropriate and honestly if he's in church leadership I think that's also a problem with  this kind of behavior.

That said to answer your question technically no it is not pedo grooming because at 15 she is developed and pedophilia has specific definitions

Still creepy and inapproriate.
View Quote
Yep, pretty much this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Words mean things, and so do age of consent laws (as well as common decency)
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Creepy and inappropriate for sure.

Worthy of the extreme violence that some on here are calling for: probably not, at least not yet.
View Quote
Sometimes extreme violence can be used as a deterrent. Not just punishment
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Thats over the line. Someone needs to have words with creepy dude.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd say it all sounded pretty innocent up until the "how?" question. To me, that implies he knows they won't see each other in normal settings, so he'd like to plan something outside of that.

If he's in church leadership, the parents need to confront him and the church.  Probably both at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Definitely sketchy as fuck. This is just another reason why a young person should not be on social media.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ha.

View Quote
Definitely creeping on her.  Notify them ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Practical steps:
1. Delete all social media of girl
2. Smash her phone
3. Inform her of dangers of grown men communicating with her in that very creepy way
4. Take man's phone, smash it
5. Temporarily remove man from leadership in church
6. Seek mental help for man if he admits to any "emotions or feelings"
7. If man refuses counseling or help, or continues pedophile actions, smash man.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Inappropriate yes. Pedo no. She's 15.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ha.

View Quote
I'm a Christian and believe that accepting Christ is the only way to go to heaven. However, your post is exactly why I hate Church. The family is aware of what's going on and should take every step to cut the Dad out of their life. It's not your place to take it to Church leadership and ruin the dudes life because stuff like this never stays quiet. Who knows, maybe it is in fact being taken out of context. Also sounds like the 15 year old girl isn't exactly innocent either posting pics like that. Are you going to take that to leadership too?  MYOB.

ETA: where is the other dad on this? A simple post on his daughters account that said something like "This is X's Dad, stop posting creepy stuff on my daughter's account" would permanantly bring all of this to a close.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Wtf is "pedo grooming"??
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Based on your last sentence, I would think your input into this thread should be valued.

Without divulging too much, persec and all, can you provide us something about your creds.

Do not compromise your ID in any way.

Is the OP’s a common MO for the perpetrators as we suspect and how common are these cases?
View Quote
Working in MH for almost a decade with a Masters in clinical counseling.

Past 3+ years working exclusively with convicted online sex offenders.

Im only of only 3 nationwide with such a narrow specialty in my agency. I dont know everything, but patterns like described in the OP are all too familiar.

I also never called the man a pedophile as thats a rather specific diagnosis.  His behavior is abnormal.  He is follow a pattern Ive seen hundreds of times.  Maybe is he is naive.  Maybe he is acting in a very purposeful manner.  Either way, both approaches are dangerous.  A naive man who seems lonely will keep pushing as he emotionally becomes more involved with a vulnerable child.  A man acting in a purposeful way keeps pushing as he is working towards getting something he wants.

Regardless, his conduct needs addressed and his interaction with minors watched closely.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That was my first thought. And the majority of people I’ve asked about it, too.

But we have someone in this thread and an elder from my church (different churches) who have said “not so fast, could be a misunderstanding”.

Guy is unmarried. No girls in his family that age. Has a bit of a rep as being a womanizer.  But super effective at coming off sincere and spiritual.

I’m so pissed about it I can’t sleep and I’m in here posting at 4am.
View Quote
Kinda weird that the parents are looking to you to handle, who the hell are you to them? You should back out of the situation and tell the father of the girl to grow some nuts and handle it himself.

That is if this even happened. There’s some strange mofo’s that have posted here over the years that just make up stories and bait people into long drawn out threads to discuss their own creepy fetishes, the guy that baited everyone to discuss spanking kids comes to mind. Someone looked at his posting history and literally every thread he posted was about spanking kids.

Not saying this is you OP but I’m ALWAYS skeptical about these kinds of threads.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top