Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the sounds they are hearing? Does it replicate dashes and dots? They wouldn't want to admit that...too much outcry of not being able to rescue them as it proves they are alive.

All that coin to take a dive, and no synthetic recovery rope? Stuff is light as fuk when in water, no need for steel cable.

What an effin shit show man....prayers to the family and friends..
View Quote

2.3 miles of synthetic recovery rope, what could go wrong
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know shit about fuck, but I didn't know a sub could go that deep.
View Quote
I have no idea either, and safe bet our military subs couldn't go anywhere near that depth.

However....if they could, or even get close to it, one would have to think the military would not get involved for the potential of disclosing any information on how deep a sub can go, whether or not it's even near the max operating depth.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally for me, if wanted to dive deep-sea, I just go the route of Disneyland, and their new "Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage" ride that is about as far down as I want to go.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much time would they need to surface safely, assuming they were found immediately? They are two miles down.
View Quote

News said the descent takes about 2.5 hours, so I'd assume at least that to return in a controlled fashion via manipulating the ballast/buoyancy tanks/floats.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

2.3 miles of synthetic recovery rope, what could go wrong
View Quote
Oh I hear ya, no chance of entanglement...lol.

Just saying if there was a surface vessel directly above the titanic, why not be the tether/recovery for the diving vessel.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now if the billionaire was smart, he would have flow to location with his son, refused to sign the Liability waiver, and gotten kicked out of the marina.  He'd be alive today, if he did that.
View Quote

That's probably because it wasn't a surprise trip from his Wife.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

News said the descent takes about 2.5 hours, so I'd assume at least that to return in a controlled fashion via manipulating the ballast/buoyancy tanks/floats.
View Quote

They descended on a platform that took them most of the way there, and then their sub had the power to descend beyond that to the Titanic wreckage.

The submersible they're in does not possess the ability to return to the surface on it's own.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now if the billionaire was smart, he would have flow to location with his son, refused to sign the Liability waiver, and gotten kicked out of the marina.  He'd be alive today, if he did that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They descended on a platform that took them most of the way there, and then their sub had the power to descend beyond that to the Titanic wreckage.

The submersible they're in does not possess the ability to return to the surface on it's own.
View Quote

I take it they'd return to the depth of the platform and then be raised up the remainder of the way?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. Fuuuuuuuuck that
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't see how they didn't bother to put any comms or beacons on there to make it easier to find, whether on the surface or in the depths. I guess they figured it was unsinkable as well
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

All subs can go that deep. Coming back up is the hard part.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Im getting a very claustrophobic  feeling just looking at the cabin of that thing with just me in it I would go fucking crazy.  Its like the size of my desk??  5 people?  No way.  Besides all the other nope that would do it for me!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have no idea either, and safe bet our military subs couldn't go anywhere near that depth.

However....if they could, or even get close to it, one would have to think the military would not get involved for the potential of disclosing any information on how deep a sub can go, whether or not it's even near the max operating depth.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd not rule out that the sounds they keep hearing is a Russian or CCP sub making the noises near crush depth just to be to be dickheads.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How does a person not see the 40 page thread on this subject and start a new one?
View Quote

What dimwit can't process that:

Tourist sub taking groups to look at Titanic wreckage goes missing

!=

Titanic sub: Rescuers race against time after hearing undersea sounds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Im getting a very claustrophobic  feeling just looking at the cabin of that thing with just me in it I would go fucking crazy.  Its like the size of my desk??  5 people?  No way.  Besides all the other nope that would do it for me!!!
View Quote

That is where I'm at. I've seen documentaries on those high pressure subs. I'd get the willies just squoozin in on the surface.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't know an aircraft could detect sound that deep underwater... or anywhere underwater.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
For that kind of money, no comms?  No diagnostics info sent real time to the surface?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The decent is unpowered, they leave that in gravity's hands. I suspect you could ascend really quickly, but I suspect it would depend on the structure of a submarine as to how fast something could be brought up.
They descended on a platform that took them most of the way there

The platform only goes down to about 30', then releases the sub.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]
the whole thing sounds sketchy as fuck but hearing on the news this AM that it is bolted shut from the outside with no way of opening it from the inside gave me a feeling of claustrophobia

metal tube the size of a closet
5 people inside small closet
bolted shut form the outside/trapped inside
one little tiny ass window
10 hour trip in tiny ass closet with 5 other people

there is not a damn thing about this that sounds fun/cool/interesting

I really hope there is a miracle and they are found safe and sound but damn this was a stupid thing to do
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For that kind of money, no comms?  No diagnostics info sent real time to the surface?
View Quote

Mindblown, and I can only hope we are in error at how primative this operation was,  but this literally looks like a couple of guys with a few bucks of borrowed money banged out a service and basically flew by the seat of their pants on the whole operation.  

I can't wait to see their new "Chernobyl Experience" reactor zone exploration adventure tours - complete with K-19: Widowmaker radiation protection suits.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
It seems this one couldn't either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

He didn’t want old white men with submariner experience working with him. He got what he paid for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'd not rule out that the sounds they keep hearing is a Russian or CCP sub making the noises near crush depth just to be to be dickheads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is the wreck battering a rock.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Ocean Gate or whatever….
Don’t go on anything with gate in its name.

Watergate
Heavens Gate

Note to self.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I saw a video once, where they brought up a deep sea diving bell from such depths that was bolted shut from the outside. They pulled the first 1” bolt out, and it blew 100’ across the deck and high pressure water jetted that same 100’ as well, as a seal leaked and the inside was full of sea water the same pressure as the sea had been at 10,000’ or whatever. You would have died even if you had a scuba tank to breathe from.

Fuck that.

I wouldn’t do it for $10,000 , if it was a nasa level funded / safety nazi set up,  zero zero zero chance I’d use this jerry rigged corner cutting company.

View Quote

Happened during one of the first unmanned bathysphere tests, per the wiki.  Oops.  

(A bathysphere is a hollow steel sphere with a window that gets lowered over the side and is suspended by a cable.  A bathyscaphe is that same---thicker---ball hung beneath a gasoline filled blimp, that drops slowly onto whatever you want to study.  Dump the ballast, and it rises much faster than it sunk.)

As noted in the other thread, hypoxia is indeed supposed to be a pleasant way to go.  They however would suffer CO2 poisoning before running out of air, and it is not at all pleasant.  As many US/German wartime submariners could tell you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Because once a thread exceeds about 10 pages, it becomes utterly useless and has long devolved into a random offshoot-random-topical debate between the 3 people still there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does a person not see the 40 page thread on this subject and start a new one?

Because once a thread exceeds about 10 pages, it becomes utterly useless and has long devolved into a random offshoot-random-topical debate between the 3 people still there.

Spot on
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#31]
So was this the maiden voyage?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Did they forget to charge the PlayStation controller that they use to pilot that thing?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Listen they need to take that controller and press
Up,up, down,down ,left,right then hold down L1 and R1 while simultaneously pressing start.
God mode baby
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's a video of that sub

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=255558043840632
View Quote

From that video; multiple "safety protocols" for it to be able to surface....including a timed release mechanism that would automatically send it to the surface even if all the passengers were unconscious.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Up,up, down,down ,left,right then hold down L1 and R1 while simultaneously pressing start.
God mode baby
View Quote

up, up , down down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seems like a rescue beacon would have been an important part of the emergency plan.

Maybe I’m weird.  Was there no emergency plan for if the sub gets stuck or lost?
View Quote

As an owner I would want a damn beacon running any time it was underwater.  Have this totally separate from any other power, have a hand crank just incase.  Though it looks cheesy and has some cheesy parts I bet it wasn't cheap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting to think about, but sorry I don't care.

I am sort of curious, if they served submarine sandwiches onboard
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder where they go to the restroom. I heard there's only a water bottle to pee in. The smell.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wonder where they go to the restroom. I heard there's only a water bottle to pee in. The smell.....
View Quote

SonofaBitch!  There it is!  

Someone had to go, and went to open a window....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if, (if he's still alive), he's re-thinking his hiring practices. Yes, yes, I'll bet he is... While also desperately trying to conserve oxygen.

50 year old white guys are not inspirational.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unusually though, it includes a private toilet for customers at the front of the sub. A small curtain is pulled across when it is in use and the pilot turns up some onboard music.

Well theres that
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God mode baby

Since air is running out. Time for the blood code!

A, B, A, C, A, B, B
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Everyone signed waivers
View Quote
well ok then
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Basically bolted into a large trash can at the bottom of the ocean, like that wouldn't cause claustrophobia. The only things missing from making it a completely terrifying movie, are the spiders and venomous snakes.

A serious question; did they do any tests on the "expedition members" for claustrophobia, or anxiety?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#45]
It took 38 years to find the wreck of the Titanic which is a bit larger than the Titan.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How does that thing not have a rescue beacon/locator on it?
View Quote

No Shit!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
even if found while they are alive is there any way to refill o2 from outside at any depth even if it is bobbing on the surface to get time to open it?
View Quote

It shouldn't take very much time to unbolt it should it?

If they were smart they put a fitting or two on there somewhere.

But, what if they didn't?

What if none of the subs occupants didn't know this either?

Spooky if not.

Something about that British billionaire as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It took 38 years to find the wreck of the Titanic which is a bit larger than the Titan.
View Quote

dude....it took over seventy years lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No Shit!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does that thing not have a rescue beacon/locator on it?

No Shit!!!!!

I think I read that it does
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No tether.
No sonar beacon.
No dead man switch.

It's like the CEO was planning to get lost.
View Quote

NO TOILET!

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top