Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because once a thread exceeds about 10 pages, it becomes utterly useless and has long devolved into a random offshoot-random-topical debate between the 3 people still there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does a person not see the 40 page thread on this subject and start a new one?

Because once a thread exceeds about 10 pages, it becomes utterly useless and has long devolved into a random offshoot-random-topical debate between the 3 people still there.

There's definitely a lot of fluff in there, and it's getting worse, but there was a lot of solid info beyond page 10.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Very realistic tour, they get to relive the actual experience of titanic passengers trapped in the ship when it went down.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone saying how the billionaires shoulda, coulda, woulda....

I think this is a perfect case study of a human phenomena that I've observed.  People who are very wealthy or have had cushy lives have an entitlement mindset that literally makes them think that nothing bad could happen to them.  In this case, probably a mindset that was forged because they have been able to buy themselves outta trouble so many times before.  Reality is a bitch sitting in the dark on the bottom inside a broken sub.

I think its a similar phenomena that has created the rise of all the extreme sports, like base jumping or quadruple back-flip snowboard jumps.  All these kids grow up so comfortable, think the world can't hurt 'em.  Guess what, buttercup... it can.  Not that it's a bad thing that people become daredevils, just interesting I think.  I honestly think they don't fully gasp the risks they are taking.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]

It had a toilet if you watched the video in this thread. Basically a bucket with a toilet lid separated by a curtain. Lol
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think this is a perfect case study of a human phenomena that I've observed.  People who are very wealthy or have had cushy lives have an entitlement mindset that literally makes them think that nothing bad could happen to them.  In this case, probably a mindset that was forged because they have been able to buy themselves outta trouble so many times before.  Reality is a bitch sitting in the dark on the bottom inside a broken sub.

I think its a similar phenomena that has created the rise of all the extreme sports, like base jumping or quadruple back-flip snowboard jumps.  All these kids grow up so comfortable, think the world can't hurt 'em.  Guess what, buttercup... it can.  Not that it's a bad thing that people become daredevils, just interesting I think.  I honestly think they don't fully gasp the risks they are taking.
View Quote

I agree.  This idiot billionaire’s ego got into an argument with physics.  

Physics always wins.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Its a carbon fiber tube with titanium end caps that are glued on.  This does not scream out strength to me.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I didn't know an aircraft could detect sound that deep underwater... or anywhere underwater.
View Quote

The sonobuoys they drop can.

Been around since ww2.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
if I am not mistaken, the drilling companies use BlueTooth or similar to comm with their tools when down in the hole, which should be at least or greater than the depth of the titanic, so I am not sure why this sub didn't have that tech to communicate with the surface.

if I were designing the sub I would have two manual deploying bags that would make the sub surface on it's own, in addition to that, I would have a floating tethered EPIRB that would float to the surface when released. It would be tethered with 250lb PE line.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most can't, but the Alvin can and went into service in 1964.

There's others, but she's probably the most famous of the subs with this capability.
View Quote

Alvin contemplated needing rescue

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
They suffer from Affluenza.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ocean Gate or whatever….
Don’t go on anything with gate in its name.

Watergate
Heavens Gate

Note to self.
View Quote

Tanhauser Gate…
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Sonarbuoy_loaded_on_aircraft.jpg

Been around since ww2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know an aircraft could detect sound that deep underwater... or anywhere underwater.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Sonarbuoy_loaded_on_aircraft.jpg

Been around since ww2.
The amount of money we're spending in tax payer dollars on these fools. I hope Uncle Sam bills the estates of these idiots for the manpower and material we've spent to find their corpses.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think you panic pretty good when dieing of hypoxia
View Quote

Yeah, you definitely do. Lol.

Hypoxia is one of the worst ways to die.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They may already be dead. This isn’t the first time something like this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQxfBjXbo8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit!   They still alive?

It's gonna be even more fucked up now if they don't get rescued.  Imagine suffocating and freezing to death down there.   Fuuuuuuck....

They may already be dead. This isn’t the first time something like this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQxfBjXbo8

And they were only a few hundred feet down.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am not sure why this sub didn't have that tech to communicate with the surface.
View Quote

The CEO didn't want people on the surface bothering him while he was relaxing under water. He actually said this.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How do they even get a permit for that?
I assume there are some sort of regulations about diving to a shipwreck?
View Quote

oh sweet summer child.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The CEO didn't want people on the surface bothering him while he was relaxing under water. He actually said this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not sure why this sub didn't have that tech to communicate with the surface.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
the reality is there is no way to community 2 miles underwater without a cable. and there is no tether. him saying what he said was a BS coverup for the fact that they have no tether.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  This idiot billionaire’s ego got into an argument with physics.  

Physics always wins.

I disagree.

Well, kinda. I would agree that the ultra wealthy probably live in a fantasy world and feel invincible to a degree. However, I bet this was simply a super wealthy dude looking to do something just to say he did it and have something to “one up” all of his wealthy friends.

When you’ve got that kinda money nobody in your social circle cares about your mansions, luxury cars, boats, jets, etc. This was an opportunity to do something rare to stand out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Really doesn't do much good if you can't go from "we heard something" to "we heard something over THERE!"

Actually, some might say it's even worse.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Do they have a recovery vehicle on site if they find them?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Here’s my take on what happened.

They were descending and about 90 minutes in they experienced the blue screen of death on their display and lost all other power. No thrusters. No cabin lighting. All went quiet as they eerily sank for another 20 minutes toward the bottom with only the faint glow of the display. Eventually even it died and they sank in complete blackness for 70 more minutes until they came to a crashing thud on the ocean floor. There was total silence from outside the sub. Within 36 hours the cabin temperature had equalized with the outer water temp of 39 degrees and they experienced severe hypothermia and convulsions. Huddling to conserve body heat proved futile. Within 42 hours all five had suffered complete heart and respiratory system failure and died, long before their oxygen ran out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I disagree.

Well, kinda. I would agree that the ultra wealthy probably live in a fantasy world and feel invincible to a degree. However, I bet this was simply a super wealthy dude looking to do something just to say he did it and have something to “one up” all of his wealthy friends.

When you’ve got that kinda money nobody in your social circle cares about your mansions, luxury cars, boats, jets, etc. This was an opportunity to do something rare to stand out.
View Quote

Also, unless there's an inheritance, wealthy people don't get that way by not taking chances. There's an inner drive for doing or accomplishing things few others have the courage to try.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They were descending and about 90 minutes in they experienced the blue screen of death on their display and lost all other power. No thrusters. No cabin lighting. All went quiet as they eerily sank for another 20 minutes toward the bottom with only the faint glow of the display. Eventually even it died and they sank in complete blackness for 70 more minutes until they came to a crashing thud on the ocean floor. There was total silence from outside the sub. Within 36 hours the cabin temperature had equalized with the outer water temp of 39 degrees and they experienced severe hypothermia and convulsions. Huddling to conserve body heat proved futile. Within 42 hours all five had suffered complete heart and respiratory system failure and died, long before their oxygen ran out.
View Quote

I still think it's less likely than *POP* but it's less horrific than hypoxia.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

He’s probably going to succeed.

When all of the details are known, this could end up being a Darwin Award that may never be topped.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#30]
We need a Titanic forum.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hadn't read the part about them being bolted in from the outside.

So they're dead tomorrow even if it's on the surface.
View Quote

Crazy if a beacon of some kind isn’t on it…
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

wow, that thing looks like a freshman science fair project.  It comes across as a Mk.0 proof-of-concept prototype.  

Somehow I doubt it underwent rigorous FMEA.

Edit: The video, which i couldn't get through, claims that the sub has 7 independent return to surface systems, including a deadman/timer system.  One has to wonder if they are not snagged and caught.
View Quote
It that's true I'd assume the hull breached and they all died pretty fast.  Not gonna float back up in that scenario . Or they are on the surface just running out of air somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Okay, that engineering crew has no idea of what they're doing.

Paste adhesive, no thickness control, no mechanical fasteners, and the bondline area is suspect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a carbon fiber tube with titanium end caps that are glued on.  This does not scream out strength to me.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK99kBS1AfE

Paste adhesive, no thickness control, no mechanical fasteners, and the bondline area is suspect.

Yup; plus differential flexural response to pressure stresses said adhesive.  Cyclic fracture.  
But, it may just be a simple as a power failure with no back-up power system.  That thing could be intact on the floor of the ocean with no power.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He’s probably going to succeed.

When all of the details are known, this could end up being a Darwin Award that may never be topped.

View Quote

Nah, he’s still on planet Earth. The real Darwin champ is going to be the first person to yeet themselves out of earth’s orbit. I’m thinking Jeff Bezos will eventually pack some super boosters in to his flying space penis and try to beat Elon to Mars
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m not any sort of composite scientist and even I said damn, only and inch of overlap and they’re applying bondo with a plastic spreader while wearing polo shirts. Where’s the NASA clean room and tyvek suits? Shouldn’t the end cap get weighted/pressure while curing or is gravity enough for a good glue joint?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Pirates...I'm going with pirates...

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#39]

I have no doubts.

Alvin was FAR better designed than the Titan.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#40]
they allegedly have dead man/loss of power auto ballast blow. I doubt that a loss of power event is what happened. it seems that physically hung up on something at the bottom, or pop are the likely scenarios. they lost contact maybe half way down, it seems odd that it would pop at only half way down. and there shouldnt be anything to get hung up on either. who knows.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
they allegedly have dead man/loss of power auto ballast blow. I doubt that a loss of power event is what happened. it seems that physically hung up on something at the bottom, or pop are the likely scenarios. they lost contact maybe half way down, it seems odd that it would pop at only half way down. and there shouldnt be anything to get hung up on either. who knows.
View Quote

Don't forget that "only" halfway down is more than twice the crush depth of most military subs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or they brought coats and blankets because they knew it would be cold so they will still likely suffocate. But I think the most terrible would be if they managed to resurface and are floating on top of the ocean bolted in the sun with no way out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Its a carbon fiber tube with titanium end caps that are glued on.  This does not scream out strength to me.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK99kBS1AfE
View Quote
shit
that does not inspire confidence
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Even Wyle E. Coyote had better contraptions that that death machine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Sale going on now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The amount of money we're spending in tax payer dollars on these fools. I hope Uncle Sam bills the estates of these idiots for the manpower and material we've spent to find their corpses.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jesus Christ
Should be giant squid and angler fish instead of killer whales, but still
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, that CEO has to be one of the most delusional dick heads they have.

But it goes to show you that just because you are a ceo and billionaire you can still be a dumb ass.

he reminds me of the typa rich dudes that have their own jet and fly it then have a CFIT
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
the reality is there is no way to community 2 miles underwater without a cable. and there is no tether. him saying what he said was a BS coverup for the fact that they have no tether.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct, but they could have dropped down a transducer near the site from the ship that was close enough to the sub to maintain comms. So, the best of both worlds.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top