Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

9 pellets of 32 cal lead balls. I'll bet the only thing you know about shotguns is from CoD. I grew up shotgunning homie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buckshot is pretty good.  The weapons that shoot it aren't nearly as good as modern autoloading rifles.

one 00 shell is like a 9rd burst from an MP5

lol

Did you learn that from CoD?

9 pellets of 32 cal lead balls. I'll bet the only thing you know about shotguns is from CoD. I grew up shotgunning homie

You must have shot a lot of people with it then?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In before 'Meat and Bone' and 'Screen Door' references.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In before 'Meat and Bone' and 'Screen Door' references.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If S&W had their shit together, they'd get "Walther" (which is to say, S&W using the Walther name) to invent a new cartridge.  Just like they did for .40 ("America's police caliber!"), but for Euroweenie sensibilities.

They'd make bank on the Frenchies' need for deniability and image.

Historically, the French have used 11mm class cartridges in revolvers, and .32 class cartridges in autoloaders.

If the main purpose is indeed counterterrorism, then the .32 class makes some sense, as generally higher velocity is going to be better at penetrating armor if you can drive it fast enough, and you'll be able to pack more rounds into a smaller gun - the relative size of the handgun and its cartridges being selling points to the public and politicians.  It needs very much not to be a "military cartridge," for example.

So call it 8mm Defensas or something else wankery in French talk.

Get a 90-95gr solid copper projectile with an engineered nose.  Target around .340-.345 bore diameter.  Large enough to be useful, but smaller than 9mm because it can't be 9mm.  Use a relatively long and straight-walled case.  Barrel length on the service handgun needs to be at least 4.5", maybe 5" would be better.  Use a very short and compact grip, target 15 rounds mag capacity, and the reduced diameter of each round would make the gun appear much smaller in the holster than a typical 9mm service gun.  With the lighter bullet weight and smaller diameter, using about the same amount of powder or maybe a little more, in a 4.5-5" barrel...  try to get something like 1400-1450FPS out of it so it performs better against soft armor.  Straight wall cases means it works better in subguns, and magazine commonality would be an added benefit there as well.  Subgun with an 8-10" barrel might produce 1700FPS or more, which should be defeating soft armor pretty well.

You don't sell it on armor piercing qualities, though.  You say how it has lower muzzle energy than 9mm, and how it's a purpose made police cartridge, not a military one.  Make up whatever claims you want about the engineered copper projectiles - and make some videos of rounds doing whatever you want them to.  The actual service ammo should be functionally AP, with modest expansion in gelatin, and most importantly have good performance in light barriers such as cars.

Yes, I'm talking about a "modern Tokarev," but you could totally do it, and I'll bet the Frenchies would buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"We don't want necessarily the arms that American police have. We need weapons that can respond," said Philippe Capon of French police union UNSA.

"We need to arm our cops like Americans, but don't want to because that's what the Americans do."

Precisely.

The eurowennies think we are all cowboys.

If S&W had their shit together, they'd get "Walther" (which is to say, S&W using the Walther name) to invent a new cartridge.  Just like they did for .40 ("America's police caliber!"), but for Euroweenie sensibilities.

Historically, the French have used 11mm class cartridges in revolvers, and .32 class cartridges in autoloaders.

If the main purpose is indeed counterterrorism, then the .32 class makes some sense, as generally higher velocity is going to be better at penetrating armor if you can drive it fast enough, and you'll be able to pack more rounds into a smaller gun - the relative size of the handgun and its cartridges being selling points to the public and politicians.  It needs very much not to be a "military cartridge," for example.

Get a 90-95gr solid copper projectile with an engineered nose.  Target around .340-.345 bore diameter.  Large enough to be useful, but smaller than 9mm because it can't be 9mm.  Use a relatively long and straight-walled case.  Barrel length on the service handgun needs to be at least 4.5", maybe 5" would be better.  Use a very short and compact grip, target 15 rounds mag capacity, and the reduced diameter of each round would make the gun appear much smaller in the holster than a typical 9mm service gun.  With the lighter bullet weight and smaller diameter, using about the same amount of powder or maybe a little more, in a 4.5-5" barrel...  try to get something like 1400-1450FPS out of it so it performs better against soft armor.  Straight wall cases means it works better in subguns, and magazine commonality would be an added benefit there as well.  Subgun with an 8-10" barrel might produce 1700FPS or more, which should be defeating soft armor pretty well.

You don't sell it on armor piercing qualities, though.  You say how it has lower muzzle energy than 9mm, and how it's a purpose made police cartridge, not a military one.  Make up whatever claims you want about the engineered copper projectiles - and make some videos of rounds doing whatever you want them to.  The actual service ammo should be functionally AP, with modest expansion in gelatin, and most importantly have good performance in light barriers such as cars.

Yes, I'm talking about a "modern Tokarev," but you could totally do it, and I'll bet the Frenchies would buy it.

7.92mm VBR?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Our cops use them for less lethal. They used to issue CS rounds for them, but they use 40mm launchers for that now.
View Quote

In America we use 9mm for less than lethal!

Murica!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buckshot is pretty good.  The weapons that shoot it aren't nearly as good as modern autoloading rifles.

lol

So you admit you know nothing about shotguns. point. k thx
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shotguns are retarded for anything not involving feathered creatures or orange clay discs.

please stop.  Your embarrassing yourself and hurting the reputation of the internet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt that you've ever shot anything other than paper with that shotgun of yours, considering the dumbfuckery you're posting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Am I the only one who read that piece and thought of the line from Demolition man " We're police officers!  We're not trained to handle this kind of violence!" ?  Poor bastards.  Hope they get armed and trained up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shotguns are retarded for anything not involving feathered creatures or orange clay discs.

please stop.  Your embarrassing yourself and hurting the reputation of the internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many years have shotguns been used in policing/military ? Sylvan from the internet comes along and says they are retarded.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hay! They are also good for breaching doors!

True Multitaskers.

Unlike those single purpose SMGs and Carbines.

Why do people who like shotgun talk like there has never been a failure to stop with a 12GA?

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Am I the only one who read that piece and thought of the line from Demolition man " We're police officers!  We're not trained to handle this kind of violence!" ?  Poor bastards.  Hope they get armed and trained up.
View Quote
You may well be, but it's actually a pretty good analogy...

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wow, that's crazy.

We have around 20,000 cops, all armed, serving a population of less than 10 million.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say they euro police need a change of mindset. The need to look at serious officer survival training. Side arms and armor for sure with long guns available on the street not at the station.
France has @260 000 officers who are routinely armed whilst on duty, albeit 115 000 of them with just a sidearm. They have a further 18 000 unarmed officers, to serve a population of @66million. During their recent incidents, the interior ministry stated that @ 80 000 security personnel were engaged with the two incidents. Each was contained with a known 2 terrorists at each, who were in communication with each other.

The UK (read England & Wales in policing terms) is reportedly being cut back to a total @80 000 officers, @4900 of which are routinely armed when on duty ( so @1600 or less at any given time ), to serve a population of @ 56 million. Very few UK AFO's receive any meaningful training that would help them in a running street battle or mall shooting type scenario. Don't even get me started on weapons training....

Wow, that's crazy.

We have around 20,000 cops, all armed, serving a population of less than 10 million.
The US has something like 800,000 across the board serving a population of 300,000,000 people.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I doubt that you've ever shot anything other than paper with that shotgun of yours, considering the dumbfuckery you're posting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt YOU have shot anything other than paper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Lol. Knew this was coming.  As soon as i saw the video of the unarmed cop being executed i gave France 6 months before cargo pockets and MRAPS
View Quote
He was Armed....

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure thing kid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

He was Armed....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol. Knew this was coming.  As soon as i saw the video of the unarmed cop being executed i gave France 6 months before cargo pockets and MRAPS
He was Armed....  
Not mentally.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"We don't want necessarily the arms that American police have. We need weapons that can respond," said Philippe Capon of French police union UNSA.

"We need to arm our cops like Americans, but don't want to because that's what the Americans do."

Precisely.

They did over a 100 years ago.

They call it 9mm Parabellum

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not mentally.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was Armed....  
Not mentally.  
Not many are. It's one of the dilemmas of arming everyone. That, and if the attacks are spontaneous/ambush anyway, it doesn't really matter what the initial victims are carrying. For first responders it could be crucial..

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
While I'm generally a fan of the shotgun in LE, I don't see the utility of issuing them to European cops, who appear to be more comfortable toting around an SMG, and is probably a more appropriate weapon for their purposes.  Any shoulder-fired weapon, including a shotgun, is going to be leaps and bounds better than a pistol, but I'll take a SMG over an 870 every day and twice on Sunday, and a rifle caliber carbine over that if I can.  I'm simply not comfortable taking a shot much past 25-30 yards with buckshot, and I'm not big on slugs.  At my previous gig, we had the option of checking out an 870 or an M4 carbine for the shift, guess which racks stayed full in the armory?  The SMG is going to give a higher rate of controllable fire, and better capacity.  Like I said, I still love my shotgun and I won't give it up, but I'm not going to pretend that there aren't firearms better suited for a given task out there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not many are. It's one of the dilemmas of arming everyone. That, and if the attacks are spontaneous/ambush anyway, it doesn't really matter what the initial victims are carrying. For first responders it could be crucial..  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was Armed....  
Not mentally.  

Hire more paras and less college kids.  Its working for us

Rob
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SMGs allow you to use the same ammo and the same shooting range (a big issue for many departments as they often lack rifle ranges) as for pistols. It's also a controllable weapon, and with the right ammo it easily punches through soft armour.
View Quote

The range I kind of understand.  I own an indoor shooting range and we have 5 rifle lanes, it isn't hard to do just a bit more expensive.  The traps require heavier steel and larger drums.  I do know that getting government agencies to spend money on needed equipment is like pulling teeth here, so I suspect it is the same on your side of the pond.

Ammo compatibility is only a money saving measure IMO.  Grabbing rifle ammo when you grab your rifle isn't hard or you can carry a couple magazines like I do on your person.  Most sub guns don't use the same magazines as their pistol counterparts so you would still have to do the same with the sub gun right?  I know our guys that use UMP 40s have to grab mags just like our guys with M-16s or AR-15s.

I'm not saying sub guns are useless.  You are right about them being very controllable.  They just would never be my first choice as a defensive weapon, and I do have experience with sub guns.

I own a 9mm Uzi, a 9mm MP5, a 7.62x25 PPSH, and have some time behind a UMP 40 that my department owns, all of them full auto.  I also have two M-16s and two AK-47s that are full auto as well as access to M-16s owned by my department.  They are harder to control, for sure, but not exceptionally so and they provide much better performance in tissue.  They also easily penetrate soft armor while using regular expanding or fragmenting defensive ammo rather than non-expanding specialty ammo like handgun calibers require.  While pistol ammo can be made to penetrate soft armor, it does so at the expense of terminal performance which is already lacking in pistol caliber cartridges even with quality expanding ammo.

Having a fair amount of experience with sub guns and rifle caliber full autos, I would definitely pick the rifle caliber every time.  I just don't understand why people would choose the pistol caliber if they have the option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#23]
The European ruling class can't keep the Proles in their place if they are allowed arms.......French Revolution 2.0 would be bad, mumkay?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Inferior range, low rate of fire, low capacity, and greater bulk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he just means that he doesn't want French cops saddled with the retarded pump shotgun that has been ubiquitous to US law enforcement for so long, and instead wants modern autoloading rifles.  
Shotguns are considered barbaric amongst many euro LE  
So they use  MP5s instead

I've never heard anyone call them barbaric.

They are ridiculously impractical though, which is why they're not usually issued.

Do you even shotgun bro? A 12 gauge shotgun is the one of the most versatile weapons you can own.  

Inferior range, low rate of fire, low capacity, and greater bulk.

All true but I can put 60 pellets of #1 buckshot (.25" IIRC) center mass on a silhouette target in 1.9 seconds at 15 yards with my 11-87P and Federal #1 Flite Control buckshot.  That is pretty good and is only half the ammo in the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not mentally.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was Armed....  
Not mentally.  
He was popped in the chest with an AK. He was out of the fight. He rounded the corner and was gunned down.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing puts bad guys down at close range as well as buckshot.

lol

Then you should know better.  The shotgun shell has impressive terminal ballistics.  The shotgun has very severe drawbacks as a fighting tool.  The SMG is better.  The autoloading rifle is way, way better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you even shotgun bro? A 12 gauge shotgun is the one of the most versatile weapons you can own.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he just means that he doesn't want French cops saddled with the retarded pump shotgun that has been ubiquitous to US law enforcement for so long, and instead wants modern autoloading rifles.  
Shotguns are considered barbaric amongst many euro LE  
So they use  MP5s instead

I've never heard anyone call them barbaric.

They are ridiculously impractical though, which is why they're not usually issued.

Incorrect. Shotguns are very versatile firearms. That is because the can be used to hunt many different types of game, for defense, and for recreational sports. As weapons they are limited in their usefulness for many different reasons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
While I'm generally a fan of the shotgun in LE, I don't see the utility of issuing them to European cops, who appear to be more comfortable toting around an SMG, and is probably a more appropriate weapon for their purposes.  Any shoulder-fired weapon, including a shotgun, is going to be leaps and bounds better than a pistol, but I'll take a SMG over an 870 every day and twice on Sunday, and a rifle caliber carbine over that if I can.  I'm simply not comfortable taking a shot much past 25-30 yards with buckshot, and I'm not big on slugs.  At my previous gig, we had the option of checking out an 870 or an M4 carbine for the shift, guess which racks stayed full in the armory?  The SMG is going to give a higher rate of controllable fire, and better capacity.  Like I said, I still love my shotgun and I won't give it up, but I'm not going to pretend that there aren't firearms better suited for a given task out there.
View Quote

Shotguns can't be safely used past about 15 yards with 00buck in an urban environment when the officer is held accountable for every pellet (and the 5 year old two blocks over he just shot).  Even with Flite Control you get the occasional stray pellet that flies off the black on a B-27 target from 15 yards when the other 45 pellets are COM.  Not a thing you can do, a flaw in the weapon design, but it will still be your ass GD is second guessing and talking shit about.

The AR patrol rifle/carbine is far superior to the shotgun for general use and is capable of being used effectively at far greater ranges.  

Is the reason the police are so poorly equipped/trained the fact that European countries have no problems using the military to keep order and security within their borders?

Is the reason the terrorist attacks have so far been in Europe the fact that US police are comparatively better equipped and trained to deal with active shooter threats?

Stay Safe over there,
Rob
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Why dont the Euro countries look to their center and just copy Switzerland.

NOBODY fucks with the Swiss cops, or with the people either.

Crime rate is really low, and the only shitstirrers are non-swiss.

Everybody knows how to handle a gun, and the general pop. are all heavily armed,

with full-auto.

And just walking around in Switzerland, it just 'feels' safe.

Nobody is gonna go all snackbar there, either.

Switzerland didn't get invaded in two world wars for a reason.

Unless somebody opens a can of sunshine, they will stay safe thru the next mess, too.

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Are we to understand that the average ARFCOMMER is more heavily armed than Euro police? Who knew?!
View Quote

The average ARFCOMMER is probably better armed than most small nations.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was Armed....  
Not mentally.  
Mindset and an aggressive response could turn that initial victim into the victor if he doesn't take a CNS hit right off, but he has to be adequately armed, trained and in it for the win. In my opinion force on force training with sims is one of the best tools to train officers for armed confrontations. Higher learning through pain.  If my PD ever fucks up and puts me in charge of training I'll get sims as part of routine firearms for every officer, not just SRT, even if I have to sell myself on the street to fund it.  Could take awhile, I'm not much to look at.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How many years have shotguns been used in policing/military ? Sylvan from the internet comes along and says they are retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because they are retarded.

Long arms...GPMG > assault rifle> SMG >>>>>> shotgun.

For most police use, especially in Europe, SMGs are far superior to shotguns.

Americans made a virtue of necessity with shotguns, but along with lever action rifles, they are a tactical weapon of yesteryear.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The range I kind of understand.  I own an indoor shooting range and we have 5 rifle lanes, it isn't hard to do just a bit more expensive.  The traps require heavier steel and larger drums.  I do know that getting government agencies to spend money on needed equipment is like pulling teeth here, so I suspect it is the same on your side of the pond.

Ammo compatibility is only a money saving measure IMO.  Grabbing rifle ammo when you grab your rifle isn't hard or you can carry a couple magazines like I do on your person.  Most sub guns don't use the same magazines as their pistol counterparts so you would still have to do the same with the sub gun right?  I know our guys that use UMP 40s have to grab mags just like our guys with M-16s or AR-15s.

I'm not saying sub guns are useless.  You are right about them being very controllable.  They just would never be my first choice as a defensive weapon, and I do have experience with sub guns.

I own a 9mm Uzi, a 9mm MP5, a 7.62x25 PPSH, and have some time behind a UMP 40 that my department owns, all of them full auto.  I also have two M-16s and two AK-47s that are full auto as well as access to M-16s owned by my department.  They are harder to control, for sure, but not exceptionally so and they provide much better performance in tissue.  They also easily penetrate soft armor while using regular expanding or fragmenting defensive ammo rather than non-expanding specialty ammo like handgun calibers require.  While pistol ammo can be made to penetrate soft armor, it does so at the expense of terminal performance which is already lacking in pistol caliber cartridges even with quality expanding ammo.

Having a fair amount of experience with sub guns and rifle caliber full autos, I would definitely pick the rifle caliber every time.  I just don't understand why people would choose the pistol caliber if they have the option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SMGs allow you to use the same ammo and the same shooting range (a big issue for many departments as they often lack rifle ranges) as for pistols. It's also a controllable weapon, and with the right ammo it easily punches through soft armour.

Obviously a rifle caliber weapon will have better terminal ballistics, but for most tasks a pistol caliber is perfectly adequate.

The ammo commoniality is more about buying ammo in bulk than anything. It's cheaper to buy 2 million rounds of 9mm, than to buy 1 million each of 9mm and 5.56. The SMG is also easier to train people on than a carbine, which translates to less ammo expenditure.

At the end of the day it's about money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
All true but I can put 60 pellets of #1 buckshot (.25" IIRC) center mass on a silhouette target in 1.9 seconds at 15 yards with my 11-87P and Federal #1 Flite Control buckshot.  That is pretty good and is only half the ammo in the weapon.
View Quote

But it still has all the other drawbacks of the shotgun. It's a clunky weapon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Shotguns can't be safely used past about 15 yards with 00buck in an urban environment when the officer is held accountable for every pellet (and the 5 year old two blocks over he just shot).  Even with Flite Control you get the occasional stray pellet that flies off the black on a B-27 target from 15 yards when the other 45 pellets are COM.  Not a thing you can do, a flaw in the weapon design, but it will still be your ass GD is second guessing and talking shit about.

The AR patrol rifle/carbine is far superior to the shotgun for general use and is capable of being used effectively at far greater ranges.  

Is the reason the police are so poorly equipped/trained the fact that European countries have no problems using the military to keep order and security within their borders? We do? That's news to me.

Is the reason the terrorist attacks have so far been in Europe the fact that US police are comparatively better equipped and trained to deal with active shooter threats? You've had quite a few mass shootings, including terrorist attacks.

Stay Safe over there,
Rob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the reason the police are so poorly equipped/trained the fact that European countries have no problems using the military to keep order and security within their borders? We do? That's news to me.

Is the reason the terrorist attacks have so far been in Europe the fact that US police are comparatively better equipped and trained to deal with active shooter threats? You've had quite a few mass shootings, including terrorist attacks.

Stay Safe over there,
Rob

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Everybody knows how to handle a gun, and the general pop. are all heavily armed,
with full-auto.

Unless somebody opens a can of sunshine, they will stay safe thru the next mess, too.

IMHO YMMV

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Only if it's revolvers and woodstocked rifles.

Don't want them to be too militarized.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Militarily primarily for breaching, and its not even good at that. Det cord ftw.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Militarily primarily for breaching, and its not even good at that. Det cord ftw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AT-4 ftw.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

He was popped in the chest with an AK. He was out of the fight. He rounded the corner and was gunned down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was Armed....  
Not mentally.  
If you're conscious, armed, and can move, you're not out of the fight.  I'm not talking shit about the guy, he's got my respect.  Shots fired and he showed up for the fight.  Sadly he lost his life.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

with full-auto.

IMHO YMMV

View Quote
Switzerland is a homogeneous society for the most part. During WWII they made it to hard for Germany with theory of "Is the juice worth the squeeze? "

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

AT-4 ftw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AT-4 ftw.

I mean... yeah, there's always that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While Sylvan says some pretty stupid shit from time to time, he's spot on here. Shotguns are working there way to being completely irrelevant in these capacities in modern times - same could be said with subguns to a degree. Kevlar killed the shotgun
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Precisely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely.

Compared to them, we are...

TC
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How many years have shotguns been used in military ?
View Quote

For other than ridiculously specialized tasks, most of which have much better options?

That would be none really.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Obviously a rifle caliber weapon will have better terminal ballistics, but for most tasks a pistol caliber is perfectly adequate.

The ammo commoniality is more about buying ammo in bulk than anything. It's cheaper to buy 2 million rounds of 9mm, than to buy 1 million each of 9mm and 5.56. The SMG is also easier to train people on than a carbine, which translates to less ammo expenditure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the money thing, but that wasn't what I was referring to when I said I didn't understand the love affair with the SMG.  We have guys that won't trade their UMP in for a nicely equipped M-16.  They aren't paying for the ammo or the training, they prefer the UMP.  I don't understand why as I see the M4 as a superior weapon and cartridge for the task.  Personally I'd rather have a semi-auto AR-15 than an SMG.

Quoted:
Quoted:

But it still has all the other drawbacks of the shotgun. It's a clunky weapon.

Have you ever trained with a shotgun?  It is harder to learn and harder to run, but can be extremely effective.  I'm not saying I'd pick one over a rifle.  A shotgun won't defeat soft armor with normal rounds, is heavier and typically longer than a carbine, has limited range and accuracy, and has limited capacity compared to a carbine.  It also delivers the greatest incapacitation potential per shot on unarmed opponents, can be easily topped off, and can easily accomplish breeching tasks.  All systems have strengths and weaknesses.   Just another tool in the tool box.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you're conscious, armed, and can move, you're not out of the fight.  I'm not talking shit about the guy, he's got my respect.  Shots fired and he showed up for the fight.  Sadly he lost his life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was Armed....  
Not mentally.  

+1

Teaching someone to fight with a gun is different than teaching them how to shoot a qualifying score.  Unfortunately, most police training revolves around the latter in my experience.  Mindset is even harder to teach but is critical.

As m4pointman said, the guy has my respect and it tore me up to watch him get murdered, but I don't doubt that there is a training deficiency there that could be improved.  That isn't the officer's fault, and I hope his death brings that deficiency to light and helps correct it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Have you ever trained with a shotgun?  It is harder to learn and harder to run, but can be extremely effective.  I'm not saying I'd pick one over a rifle.  A shotgun won't defeat soft armor with normal rounds, is heavier and typically longer than a carbine, has limited range and accuracy, and has limited capacity compared to a carbine.  It also delivers the greatest incapacitation potential per shot on unarmed opponents, can be easily topped off, and can easily accomplish breeching tasks.  All systems have strengths and weaknesses.   Just another tool in the tool box.
View Quote

I have trained with shotguns, and I don't really see any major benefit to them. They are destructive, but so is a carbine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

AT-4 ftw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AT-4 ftw.

AT-4s normally make real small holes
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top