Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Park Tools Bicycle tools
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
All of them. I never go cheap on anything, I'm a firm believer in whatever it is, get the best. Buy once, cry once. Anything worth doin is worth doin right
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I’ve got a few. Tried them for compressing brake piston caliper. Don’t work very well.

A few somewhat recent purchases that has made work a bit more enjoyable:
- Malco fence pliers
- Klein adj spud wrench (great for the tractor)
- Starrett automatic center punch
- Knipex braided cable cutter and ferrule crimper
- Knipex bolt cutters
- Echo top handle chainsaw
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Soft, shitty allen keys have flared my temper more than I care to admit.  Finally bought a decent set.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm the fuuffn' tool...
How much knowledge is stored between these 2 ears..
You silly paisley buttercups better get your shit wired tight,  because you don't want to know how much of a TOOL I can be...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I use tools to make a living, though it's becoming less and less hands on.

The only cheap tools I buy are ones I know I'm going to destroy. I do not waste money on snap on though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Knipex stuff is for sure tier 1 tools

German tools and German cars give me a hard on
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Ratchets.  I've done tons and tons of projects with cheap sockets and not had an issue.  But the ratchets.  I've never had good luck with the cheap ratchets.  They flip themselves to the neutral position, or flip themselves to the opposite direction.

Reamers.   You can machine an adequate hole with harbor freight drills and chinese endmills.  Then follow it up with a good quality USA made reamer and it becomes a perfect hole.

And wrenches.  Ratcheting wrenches.  Ratcheting wrenches with swivel heads.  Stubby ratcheting wrenches.  Line/flare wrenches.  They're all a step up from the box wrenches the cavemen used to use.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
if its a plier, then knipex is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for knipex.  Im a plumber and use them everyday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another vote for knipex.  Im a plumber and use them everyday.
View Quote

Ironically I've retired my blue handled tools to the plumbing bucket. Knipex for mechanical work.

If I were a full time plumber it would be a sea of red though.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Pitman arm puller.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Drill bits (especially with the correct lube and speed)
Flare nut/line wrenches
Allen & torx bits
Ball joint presses (specifically for stubborn ball joints)
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Drill bits
Edit to include taps / dies
View Quote

This

The big box store shit bends or has trouble with wood.  I bought Chicago-Latrobe & never looked back.

And the Allen wrenches that round their edges to be bull-teat useless.

When my dad died, his Stanley USA -made sets became mine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Rigid pipe wrenches
Estwing hammers
A long time ago, Rigid tubing cutters but there are some other good brands now too
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Fluke multimeters
Wiha screwdrivers
Eklind Allen wrench set
Puma, Buck knives
Dewalt power tools, 20v and 60v Flexvolt
Klein screwdrivers, pliers, nut drivers
Craftsman hand tools
Starrett measuring tools
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Generally I’m a tool snob, but for a lot of people a wrench is a wrench or a screwdriver is a screwdriver.

For some stuff however, quality really does make or break it.

My example is this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478694/AC5818BB-0D21-410F-9CAE-30FF2690573F-2426185.jpg

Malco eagle grips.

It really does preform better in every way than a el cheapo one.

What is your example?
View Quote

Go to YouTube and look for Project Farm.  The guy is a no bullshit person who only wants the facts.  Suggest any tool to him and see if he has tested it yet.  If he hasn't, he might take up your challenge.
kwg
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
poon

tang
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Watchmaking tools. Bergeon is the way to go here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Channel locks.

Cheap channel locks are guaranteed to pinch your fingers. Good ones are well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Knipex stuff is for sure tier 1 tools

German tools and German cars give me a hard on
View Quote

Loving my Festool green!
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Last factory I worked in didn't stock easy outs in the tool crib. But they had plenty of torx bits for the fuel injector tear down and rebuild area. Guess what's works as a broken screw remover?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Wanna fuck yourself good?

Buy cheap flare nut wrenches.

Snap-On or SK, maybe old New Britain if they are in good shape.

Anything cheap or worn out, you are eventually going to hate life.

Craftsman will work if you have room to put a c-clamp or vise grip on them, but not too tight or you will crush the fitting before you round the corners off.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Lie-Nielsen?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Have had a lot of Rigid tools over the years.   They used to warranty them well,   would always break the handles on Aluminum Offset pipe wrenches.    Back in the day most plumbers had to have a chain cutter for cutting cast iron.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Temptation of a Harbor Freight easy out, nothing easy about getting it out when it snaps
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Dynabrade DA and dynafile.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Wire cutters and precision screw drivers.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#31]

No tuning, no struggling, no cursing. Take them out of the box, put a micro bevel hone on the blade, and get to work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Loving my Festool green!
View Quote

Not surprised. When I was in college a custom wood worker I had spent summers working for under the table cash was a big Festool guy. This was Providence, RI circa 2007ish, he specialized in historical renovations in the neighborhoods around Brown University. Some day I will have a wood working shop setup like his. He taught me a lot in the 4 years I worked for him, he yelled at me a bunch along the way for making stupid mistakes (sometimes with very very expensive wood) on the job. Great guy.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Wiha
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Snap-on 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets. After using the cheapo, crap ratchets and then picking up a Snap-on, it's like Harry Potter finding the right wand at Ollivanders.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/KKRc7Sw/20190731-150803.jpg

No tuning, no struggling, no cursing. Take them out of the box, put a micro bevel hone on the blade, and get to work.
View Quote

Nice! I have several of those too!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to buy Proto wrenches and sockets. Made in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Open end wrenches. Once in a while, you run into that one bolt head that's right up against something, and the only thing you can get on it is the open end of a wrench, and suddenly the difference between a chinese wrench and a Snap-On wrench can be really important.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Proto adjustable wrenches definitely don't get enough love.

Almost everything they make is top notch, but their adjustable wrenches are a lot better than any others I've used.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Go to YouTube and look for Project Farm.  The guy is a no bullshit person who only wants the facts.  Suggest any tool to him and see if he has tested it yet.  If he hasn't, he might take up your challenge.
kwg
View Quote

He chose Malco:

Best Locking Pliers (VISE GRIPS)? Irwin vs Knipex, Milwaukee, Craftsman, Stanley, Malco, Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have Proto, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, and Snap-On sockets in my box. Proto is as good as any of them for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I like my Snap On flare nut wrenches. Cheap ones are hit and miss.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’ve got a few. Tried them for compressing brake piston caliper. Don’t work very well.

- Malco fence pliers
- Knipex bolt cutters
View Quote

Have you used those Malcos enough to have an opinion on the cutters? The cutters are the weak point on most fence pliers - either too small or too soft to last. Guessing you have the big ones?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#43]
A quality tap & die set is a must.  If you break out the tap set for a busted bolt, you don't want to be breaking your tap too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Knipex guys posted already so I'll post these.

https://i.postimg.cc/3rvwKYq8/20220621-160123.jpg
View Quote

A lot of people at work cringe when I say I spent $80 on my Sheffield scissors, but then they always come by to borrow them.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have had a lot of Rigid tools over the years.   They used to warranty them well,   would always break the handles on Aluminum Offset pipe wrenches.    Back in the day most plumbers had to have a chain cutter for cutting cast iron.
View Quote
What do you think we cut it with today? However, that's not a case of needing a quality tool. The cheap cutters are fine until you run over them with a backhoe and bend the handles. From then on you have to look cross-eyed to get a straight cut

Never put a cheater bar on an aluminum pipe wench.

Tip of the day; a 18" piece of conduit formed on to the handle of a 10" steel pipe wrench makes a bad little pipe wrench. I couldn't live without mine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Have you used those Malcos enough to have an opinion on the cutters? The cutters are the weak point on most fence pliers - either too small or too soft to last. Guessing you have the big ones?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Malco fence pliers
- Knipex bolt cutters

@RTX
Yes, the 10”. So far the cutters have been fine, size hasn’t been an issue. I’m not a huge fan of the cutters position on fence pliers, so if I’m doing lots of cuts, I’ll use lineman’s pliers or the Knipex cutters.

The Malco have been some of the best I’ve used for twisting and wrapping wire.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Many woodworkers think American style push saws are inferior to Japanese style pull saws.   They are wrong - they probably think that way because they are trying to use a saw with dull teeth, or not sharpened correctly and do not have the correct set on the teeth
A properly sharpened and tuned saw, with a teeth per inch count and angle / fleam filed correctly for the type of wood (soft woods like pine or hardwoods like oak, cherry, exotics/tropical) make a huge impact on the ease and quality of cut

So, If you want to try a traditional western style backsaw for cutting joinery, do yourself a favor and buy yourself a Bad Axe saw.   There are some other custom/hand made traditional western style hand saws being made.  I only have experience
With bad axe and L-N.   The handle on the L-N dovetail saw is far too small for my hand.   But yet the curly maple they made the handle from is too pretty to hit with the rasp and file to widen it up

Not one of my Bad Axe saws, just a file photo - but I’ve got pretty much his full line up of hand saws
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@RTX
Yes, the 10”. So far the cutters have been fine, size hasn’t been an issue. I’m not a huge fan of the cutters position on fence pliers, so if I’m doing lots of cuts, I’ll use lineman’s pliers or the Knipex cutters.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Malco fence pliers
- Knipex bolt cutters

@RTX

Good info, thanks. Like you, I prefer good heavy linesman pliers for a lot of fence work if the cutters will hold up. The better quality traditional fence pliers with the hammer/staple puller have good cutters, but are a little unhandy and cumbersome if you don't need to pull staples. Good heavy linesman pliers should be able to do a little light hammering, anyway. Those 10" Malcos look like they might be a good alternative.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Speaking of this
I was looking at SK Tools website the other day they were out of EVERYTHING except some technical tools
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cheap open end wrenches spread and that rounds the bolt or nut and often hurts.
View Quote

Wright makes some of the best combo wrenches in the world right here in the USA.

They will twist the head off of a bolt before they slip. For a standard pattern wrench (i.e. not long or stubby) they are the best performance per dollar in the game.

I'm a huge fan of the Wrightgrip 2.0. If this reads like a shill post, I swear it isn't. I hesitated using open end wrenches for 20 years because experience told me I was going to lose some skin off of a knuckle or three every single time. Wright changed the game for me.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top