Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I try not to cheap out on any tools. I spent a decent chunk of change on a full metric set of Wright combination wrenches and they have been worth it. The open end doesn’t flex and doesn’t let go. Seriously impressed with them. I don’t use them often since I like to use sockets with my 1/4” or 3/8” Milwaukee impact but sometimes the space is too tight and I need a combination wrench.

Wright Grip wrenches are the best.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/KKRc7Sw/20190731-150803.jpg

No tuning, no struggling, no cursing. Take them out of the box, put a micro bevel hone on the blade, and get to work.
View Quote

Gorgeous
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My ancient Millrite easily out-performs any modern Chinese milling machines.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1087/CK_Millrite-573779.jpg
View Quote

I have that same machine but with the wheel quill feed.  It is a really sold piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I try not to cheap out on any tools. I spent a decent chunk of change on a full metric set of Wright combination wrenches and they have been worth it. The open end doesn’t flex and doesn’t let go. Seriously impressed with them. I don’t use them often since I like to use sockets with my 1/4” or 3/8” Milwaukee impact but sometimes the space is too tight and I need a combination wrench.

Wright Grip wrenches are the best.
View Quote

Weird. 39s apart. I swear I don't know this guy. lol

He is 100% correct though
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Dewalt for power tools for me.

All hand tools are Craftsman or any other cheap ones. Hand tools all work the same for me in my situations. Fir what i do, even harbor freight garbage works.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]
METRINCH (fit both inch and metric) are the best ratchet sets and most used.
My dad gave his 3 sons each a set for Xmas many years ago. They are worth their weight in gold.
Look them up…
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This MFer, right here, is basically my index finger.  The pic quality kinda sucks, the scale does not suck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/16558534065577977007661664928866_jpg-2426196.JPG

And my Haimer 3D, but it's somewhere in the carousel.
View Quote

I have one just like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All hand tools are Craftsman or any other cheap ones. Hand tools all work the same for me in my situations. Fir what i do, even harbor freight garbage works.
View Quote
I feel the opposite about cordless power tools.
All the major brands will perform the same. DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, etc.
Just pick your favorite color. It's all the same otherwise.

Hand tools though, there's usually only one or two brands for a specific tool.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a mix of older cordless tools but the newer Milwaukee Fuel series is tits.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A quality tap
View Quote
I don't think anything on the planet could be a larger false economy than a cheap tap.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A lot of people at work cringe when I say I spent $80 on my Sheffield scissors, but then they always come by to borrow them.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/193868/20220622_065506_jpg-2426718.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

These right here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple little hex / allen key wrenches. I have gotten so many (now) rounded-out keys that came with products that get thrown away because they strip the bolt heads.
That's a buy-once-cry-once proposition that doesn't cost too much but makes a difference.

Agreed!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478694/FBCAA154-824F-48F9-9F84-4FFB21EE5F22-2426192.jpg

Thanks, I just ordered a set of these.  I didn't even know I needed them.

My vote for quality tools that make a difference are steel files.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a mix of older cordless tools but the newer Milwaukee Fuel series is tits.
View Quote

I’m a dewalt guy. Although it’s been hard.

I use impacts a lot, and they just sat back as big red dominated.

Thankfully maybe that’s changing. Both their mid and compact are killing it over them right now, and their big guy should as well.

Their mid is considerably more powerful than Milwaukees year old release.

They have finally started to make some updates.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks, I just ordered a set of these.  I didn't even know I needed them.

My vote for quality tools that make a difference are steel files.
View Quote

I have some “nicer” sets that are shitty compared to them.

The quality steel they use is just fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just received some father's day gifts to myself. An M18 Fuel 1/2" impact and a M18 FUEL 3/8" compact impact (both brushless) and I have to say they are pretty nice. I can't wait to use them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Torque wrenches

For some reason everyone seems to believe a torque wrench is a torque wrench. I dont understand what the lack of knowledge or care is. Maybe people think because its suppose to be a precision tool they assume all of them are accurate. Thats NOT the case at all.

Unless a torque tool comes with a valid certificate of calibration that thing could be anywhere along the range you select. Hell even properly calibrated tools, the best ones, have a 3% +/- accuracy rating.

That harbor freight special could EASILY be off by 20ft lbs and you wouldnt even know it without verifying first. Or twisting your fastner in half.

In 3 pages no ones mention torque tools, lol. See what I mean?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Woodworking cutting tools.  Chisels, saw blades, joiners, planers, routers, etc.  Tool quality in woodworking makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Torque wrenches

For some reason everyone seems to believe a torque wrench is a torque wrench. I dont understand what the lack of knowledge or care is. Maybe people think because its suppose to be a precision tool they assume all of them are accurate. Thats NOT the case at all.

Unless a torque tool comes with a valid certificate of calibration that thing could be anywhere along the range you select. Hell even properly calibrated tools, the best ones, have a 3% +/- accuracy rating.

That harbor freight special could EASILY be off by 20ft lbs and you wouldnt even know it without verifying first. Or twisting your fastner in half.

View Quote

I have the harbor freight ones, I have built several engines with them, I always verify their accuracy with a beam wrench.  They have always been dead on.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Knipex hand pruners. I've used a lot of them and the Knipex ones last and work easier and better. The blade is still razor sharp after a lot of use.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Dewalt power tools. Milwaukee is probably better but for anybody not using their tools regularly Dewalt tools last a long time. I've had a circular saw, a drill, and and an air tool that runs off a battery for inflating tires. Also have two different battery chargers, each for different dewalt tools I have. Never needed to have anything I"ve bought from Dewalt repaired or replaced.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw posted on first page, but will just agree and say hex wrenches. I finally got a set of Bondhus ones a couple months back and they've been worth more than I paid already.

Punches too. Starrett just murders the old set of Stanleys I have. Wish I'd bought the full Starrett set right off the bat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Torque wrenches

View Quote
If you don't do a basic torque check on any new wrench you're a scab anyway.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Off to order.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Off to order.
View Quote
You'll not be disappointed.

I've considered ordering another 10" and milling a profile in the jaws for certain tasks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife swears by her Felco pruners.  

I believe in quality cutlery.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Knipex hand pruners. I've used a lot of them and the Knipex ones last and work easier and better. The blade is still razor sharp after a lot of use.
View Quote
While not doubting you, and I love knipex, as a professional I think Felco are the tits. I have used everything else (except knipex) and nothing compares. They are on my hip every single day. They are $60-$70, but cheap when youndont have to think about replacement cost. Every piece is replaceable and the steel they use is outstanding. I cut things daily that hand pruners just aren't "supposed " to cut.

The ergonomics of the F7s are amazing and meld to your hand. They even make a left handed version.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
You jerks have cost me $500 in Wera stuff in this thread so far.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Vise grips have to be IRWIN, anything else sucks.  I can't tell you how many times my Irwin vise grips out performed snap on/matco, and I have ALOT of snap on/ matco tools
View Quote

The new snap on vice grips are AMAZING....

Locking Pliers - LP10WC and LP7WC I Snap-on Product

Also snap on knocked it out of the park with the new  needle nose slip joint pliers. They are crazy good.

The Knipex pliers wrench and the twin grip pliers are in each of my vehicles and both tool boxes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]

WTF? How is that even possible?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

WTF? How is that even possible?
View Quote

One of the key traits of Chinesium alloys is that they operate outside of Euclidian geometry.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The new snap on vice grips are AMAZING....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0lXnWlEvkU

Also snap on knocked it out of the park with the new  needle nose slip joint pliers. They are crazy good.

https://preview.redd.it/gxyt5f31jl791.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=20c374607ef1ff345bf2b019002e8a01d0766e34

The Knipex pliers wrench and the twin grip pliers are in each of my vehicles and both tool boxes.
View Quote

The Snap-On vise grip in that video looks to actually be the Malco Eagle Grip.  Malco took over the original Vise Grip plant in Dewitt, Nebraska when Vise Grip manufacturing went to China.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0924QDF47?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fluke multimeters
Wiha, Wera, and Bondhus bits
Carothers Performance Knives
Glock handguns
Milwaukee power tools
Estwing hand tools
View Quote

Love my Estwing hammers. I have the 16oz claw, deadblow, rubber mallet, and double face soft hammer. My framing hammer, however, is a Vaughan (Made in U.S.A., as well).  I've beat many nails with that thing and it's never let me down. The handle shows no signs of cracking or splitting. It's comfortable and the perfect weight for me to get a good, solid hit each time. Yes, I own a pneumatic framing nailer, but sometimes I just like using my Vaughan hammer to get the job done.

I tend to search for Made in U.S.A. tools, or tools that I know are of higher quality. I'm willing to pay more for better quality as it usually means I'm paying for the tool only once. I have both my grandads' and my dad's tools, along with mine, in my shop. I have so many sockets, ratchets, wrenches, extensions, and screwdrivers that are older than I am that I'll never want for another one probably as long as I live unless it's a specialty version. And they're all chugging right along like they were just out of the box. The points on the screwdrivers are a bit worn, but that's to be expected for a tool that's been used for the better part of 6 decades. But they still bite into a screw, bolt, or nut and turn it, no problem. And I'll reach for those just about any time I need a socket, ratchet, wrench, or screwdriver.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought a Milwaukee 11/32 drill bit from Home Depot for around $10 for a very specific job that I needed a very specific sized bit.

Holy shit there’s a lot of difference in that bit and the cheap ones I bought a dozen bits for $10
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#36]
most auto tools,  cheap shit breaks first use so often.   mid range or top range is best. I mean you can break them too but you have to be trying to break them or using them for something not designed for.

wire strippers.

I try to find old tools, because so much of the new stuff is outsourced and sucks ass. or costs 5 times more than it did.

bought a old ass US made vise for cheaper than a new chinese shit vise.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kline hand tools
View Quote

they nowhere near as good as they used to be. trying to figure out what's good and what's not is not fun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#38]

went in hot and she turned on ya! hate when then that happens.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lie-Nielsen?
View Quote

Yessir
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:40:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Bondhus is really good for the money and all almost anyone will ever need... However PB Swiss are perfection.

The story of the eagle grips is very interesting and heartwarming. Irwin destroyed a dewit ND and malco is resurrecting it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Vise grips have to be IRWIN, anything else sucks.  I can't tell you how many times my Irwin vise grips out performed snap on/matco, and I have ALOT of snap on/ matco tools
View Quote

I assume you have the old Peterson vise grips not the Chinese garbage Irwin replaced  them with while keeping the brand name. Strap on uses the eagle grips now, which are the best in the world, they used to use grip on, which are really nice too(I have grip-ons, have used Peterson and Chinese irwins, and have fondled the eagle grips and bollemann seltzer (knipex OEM) as well)
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
While not doubting you, and I love knipex, as a professional I think Felco are the tits. I have used everything else (except knipex) and nothing compares. They are on my hip every single day. They are $60-$70, but cheap when youndont have to think about replacement cost. Every piece is replaceable and the steel they use is outstanding. I cut things daily that hand pruners just aren't "supposed " to cut.

The ergonomics of the F7s are amazing and meld to your hand. They even make a left handed version.
View Quote

Ever use original lowë or Berger tools? Both are German and look very similar to felco. Also the French Arno brand looks interesting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Nah, he posted the miniature one, you're all good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Drill bits
Edit to include taps / dies
View Quote

Life is too short for cheap taps and it's not even like good ones are expensive. Using cheap taps is some sort of self flagellation of wasted time and ruined parts.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is purgatory for machinists. Dude finds himself stood at a work bench, part full of holes clamped in the bench vice, Starrett 91B on the bench. This doesn't seem so bad. Then he sees the blue plastic tray full of shitty taps...
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I use a lot of cheap tools...  build engines and do lots of auto work...  Can't really think of a time a cheap tool hasn't done the job for me.  I have some nicer stuff, but lots of harbor freight as well just not their jack stands...lol

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://preview.redd.it/gxyt5f31jl791.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=20c374607ef1ff345bf2b019002e8a01d0766e34

View Quote
NEED
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#47]
A quality USA made forged ball joint press.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I use a lot of cheap tools...  build engines and do lots of auto work...  Can't really think of a time a cheap tool hasn't done the job for me.  I have some nicer stuff, but lots of harbor freight as well just not their jack stands...lol

https://i.postimg.cc/W4kgX9GW/cheaptools.jpg
View Quote

Toolbox on the floor with no wheels for midget helper?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Toolbox on the floor with no wheels for midget helper?
View Quote

I buy used shit cheap when the opportunity presents itself.  Each section of tool storage was bought individually over time.  The ones on the floor were both bought used most recently.  As soon as I find another 26” craftsman bottom cabinet with rollers cheap I’ll buy that too.

I’m sitting on money waiting for the recession used tool sales lol.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quality tools are always worth it.  Saves me many many cuss words.  

The only exception for me is if I think the tool will be of limited or one off use.  Then I might cheap out on some Harbor Freight BS.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top