Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I find something that I can use for blowing stuff off, my 40gal compressor is gone.  
View Quote

I bought one of these for work ... then got one for home.

Attachment Attached File

https://metrovac.com/products/datavac-electric-duster?variant=18877237067849
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Fuck me, where has this been my entire life? I hate spring hose clamps more than Biden
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you ever do romex work this $4 tool is worth its weight in gold.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've posted this before but these zip tie snips, that have wire stripper integrated are a panel makers or cabling guy's best friend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GI23WA?tag=arfcom00-20

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71pUoH0aQ9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

@TinLeg - Pretty sure I got mine when you posted those previously.  Concur 100%.  Those things are freaking great.  Had a coworker that was zip-tie crazy, and I was always having to unfuck his shit around various network and power cabling.

Here's another simple one I'll contribute:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
These, I spent years dialing in boring bars, and ordering, or grinding precision reamers before an old toolmaker turned me onto these! Some lapping compound, and a little tweaking is all it takes to dial in a precision hole.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Amazon link, but you shouldn't buy from Amazon if you can avoid it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CG97GR2?tag=arfcom00-20

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Amazon link, but you shouldn't buy from Amazon if you can avoid it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CG97GR2?tag=arfcom00-20

orrrr

or you could use smile.amazon.com and force them to donate to the 2nd amendment foundation like I do

Quoted:
Oetiker clamps

@midcap

Thanks!

Where do you buy the clamps, though? I've been looking for some small ones (1/4"ish) for awhile now.

Quoted:

How much actual work do you do with fasteners? A little being 1 and making four trips to Fastenal a week being a 10?

Because I have a really good idea why impact drivers exist and beat the hell out of a drill. I have about 4 really good ideas from torque applied to your hand (fatigue) to being easier on fastener heads.

I had to reread the original quote about four times. He is making light of people that still think a plain rotary drill is all they need, especially driving screws.

thread legal:

The humble golden rod. Whether it's automotive, marine, home or commercial, one time you have to fish a wire (or a bundle) and use one of these, your life will change forever. Fish tapes can eat the dick. The magnet on the dog tag chain is occasionally useful, but for straight going across a headliner, in a crawl space without having to be in there, or down a wall, that thing is amaze balls. You can also tape a strong magnet, or a fish grapple, honestly the uses are only limited by you.

this is just an example. I don't trust the multipiece ones as much as a single solid one, and I don't know this company or the exact item offered:

MissingImage

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In reading some Amazon reviews there are quite a few negatives that describe newer versions of the pliers wrenches that don't work as well. It seems the older ones are more heavy duty. Any input on that or what to look out for? They are not cheap.
View Quote
I didn't notice any major difference between equal tools, the new one opened further and had a window where they laser engraved the fastener size you were adjusted to. My experience is with the small ones 7" or so.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
stubby ratchets are pretty slick. also really wanting to get a low profile 1/4" drive bit and socket set for tough to reach places
View Quote
I got this one a while ago on prime day for under $200, it is awesome! I'm waiting for the metric set to go on sale now. Used it to help while I was making up a couple transformers and a UPS this week during a shutdown and it was just what I needed. Super convenient to be able to turn the ratchet handle into a ratcheting screwdriver or have it inverted so I'm ratcheting on a fastener that is "blind" to me with the handle on my side.
https://www.kctool.com/wera-003535-zyklop-ratchet-premium-1-4-drive-sae-set/

I also grabbed the smaller set and it has been convenient for when a need a screwdriver in a space that only the bit would fit or need a shorter than stubby length.
https://www.kctool.com/wera-056491-tool-check-plus-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-imperial/
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Damn it this place cost me money  Which is better the alligator or the cobras?

That hose clamp tool is genius and would of save a bunch of skin on my knuckles and swearing.
View Quote
Cobras hands down. I hate having the handle go in the wrong spot and having to readjust it with both hands to resume work, with the push button adjustment I either let it slide open to where I want or back the handle on something and just slide it where I want, my other hand can be holding what I'm working on in place. I think I have one alligator and maybe 9 of the cobra style overall.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is it?
View Quote

Philips and slotted head screw starter.  That was the first link I found, actual one I have is this one

Attachment Attached File

Specific scenario was slapping inside car door back together, there's 3" tunnel where you can't even use your fingers to start the screw, if you do it's started cockeyed, usually you'll drop it and have to pull the lower side of the door panel away again to fetch the fallen screw

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
tied for first place, if ever worked on a car and dropped a nut or bolt or socket etc

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
tied for first place, if ever worked on a car and dropped a nut or bolt or socket etc

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59119/085432017741-e1492722212778_png-2095012.JPG
View Quote

Got a link for a good one?

I added an oil separator to my truck and no joke I dropped 3 of the 4 screws inside the engine bay.

I ended up using duck tape and a stick
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one.  101 uses.

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
Holy hell, it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.
View Quote

OMG, that thing is on an angle grinder and spins?!?!?!.  How is it used?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Snap-On ratchet adapter for a breaker bar is an awesome tool.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Self centering drill bits. Really good for mounting hinges, hasps and similar hardware.

https://thehomewoodworker.com/self-centering-drill-bits-for-wood-hinge-installation/
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone has probably posted this already, but forstner bits. You want clean big holes though wood, forstner bit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Forging sucked until I got this Little Giant 25lb power hammer. It is a vintage unit made in 1938.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

KCTool is getting out of the Wiha business because they no longer meet their "European tool" criteria satisfactorily,  and are closing out all their Wiha products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good Screwdrivers

Whia is my current favorite

KCTool is getting out of the Wiha business because they no longer meet their "European tool" criteria satisfactorily,  and are closing out all their Wiha products.

Not surprised. I sent the last Wiha purchase back to KC Tool when I found it came from India. No more Wiha for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.

Not an angle grinder, that's an oscillating tool. That blade you're seeing basically vibrates side to side extremely fast with very little travel. You can plunge cut forward with it.

I have a cordless Metabo oscillating tool. I don't use it that much, but when I do have a use for it it's an outstanding tool to have.

They make different profile blades for them, and you can also swap out the blade for a triangle sandpaper holder and use it as a vibratory sander.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not an angle grinder, that's an oscillating tool. That blade you're seeing basically vibrates side to side extremely fast with very little travel. You can plunge cut forward with it.

I have a cordless Metabo oscillating tool. I don't use it that much, but when I do have a use for it it's an outstanding tool to have.

They make different profile blades for them, and you can also swap out the blade for a triangle sandpaper holder and use it as a vibratory sander.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I never knew it existed.  I've always used reciprocating saws for cutting in tight spaces, but perhaps this may have been the answer to my '01 Toyota Corolla exhaust replacement when the reciprocating saw blade gave me hell when I'd miss-judge and it would bounce off the undercarriage?

I might just buy one just because.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Got a link for a good one?

I added an oil separator to my truck and no joke I dropped 3 of the 4 screws inside the engine bay.

I ended up using duck tape and a stick
View Quote
one of many

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER2281?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google_monthly-special_202109&campaign=GSC-Promos&campaign_id=6478906937&adgroup_id=78844950918&adtype=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZCKBhBkEiwAM4qfF23y_zvQoKVC9MqQvAfNSrYMxh4O7VhQy0hmSuMTcr3y1norsBc1UxoCSb4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&

search "magnetic pickup tool" and will be hits from everywhere, add one to your next Amazon order
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
SDS Roto Hammer.

Ever wanted to drill 1.5" holes through 10" of concrete in your foundation in about a minute and a half?
View Quote
Not until I read this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
stubby ratchets are pretty slick. also really wanting to get a low profile 1/4" drive bit and socket set for tough to reach places
View Quote

Gearwrench Microdriver Set
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Inch pounds, from 1 to 30. Thing is an absolute godsend for torquing in small fasteners in anything.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not until I read this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SDS Roto Hammer.

Ever wanted to drill 1.5" holes through 10" of concrete in your foundation in about a minute and a half?
Not until I read this.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#30]

@mancat

THAT IS CHEATING!

(drools)

Besides, everyone knows real men only use these for that job:

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#31]

I've got two of those and two sets of crimps because they always seem to go missing when I need them... Got sets for LMR400 and 195 for some cellular modem work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I put off buying an oscillating tool for years. Once I bought one, I couldn't believe I waited so long.
View Quote

Yup, I just did a Jeep heater core replacement and it would have been nearly impossible without it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spot on with both. Life is just better now that I have both of them but mine are Milwaukee's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Hot air rework station for electronics. This thing opens doors to a new world of capability.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Fluke 789

My contribution, though 99% of people don't need all of the functionality.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, there are adapters for sockets that just go into the drive side of the socket and have just enough hex on top to put a wrench.

Gearwrench also makes stubby flexhead ratcheting wrenches. Between standard flexhead ratching wrenches and the MicroDriver set, haven't met a nut/bolt/screw I couldn't get at.

I do supplement for the larger stuff, and my go-to ratchets are the Proto flexheads. The 1/2" drive ratchet has the long handle. With the right adapters, swivels, and extensions, there's only been 1 time I needed something else. I couldn't get leverage on a bolt from underneath the car, so I used a ratcheting wrench and some 550 cord to make a makeshift pulley system so I could hold the wrench on the bolt, and apply enough force to break it loose.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Impact drivers.
Not just for lug nuts.
View Quote
Fuel M18 1/4" is sooooo good.  As is the 12v.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Proper cable cutters.  No more hacking large cables with snips.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#40]
For wiring… these rock.  Strips jackets and wires. Cuts great.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I get a lot of use out of this thing, MityVac fluid extractor.
Great for sucking out brake fluid when flushing the brakes, power steering fluid for the same, sucking out oil in the lawn mower.

Can use it to fill differentials.

Last time I used it was when my neighbor was trashing his lawnmower and I sucked all the gas from it and put it in mine

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For wiring these rock.  Strips jackets and wires. Cuts great.

https://www.kleintools.com/sites/all/product_assets/catalog_imagery/klein/k1210.jpg
View Quote
Those come in an insulated version?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#43]
This thing is great. It charges via USB C and has the perfect power and torque for the size of work it's meant for. It also locks up tight so it can be used as a regular screwdriver. So far it seems to be really well made. Oh, it also has a soft glow white light ring on the end you can turn on to see your work. I love it so far.

MissingImage

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#45]
An old Ideal E-Z wire stripper. Couldn't count the number of times I've used it the last couple years.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Compression coax connectors - who knew?  Can't believe I struggled with those six sided crimper pliers and el cheapo connectors all those years.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I've lost track of the number of times I've found a use for fish tape: https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-25-ft-Steel-Fish-Tape/1100117

Quoted:
For wiring… these rock.  Strips jackets and wires. Cuts great.

https://www.kleintools.com/sites/all/product_assets/catalog_imagery/klein/k1210.jpg
View Quote

Bought this 6 months ago. My first Klein tool, and probably my last. Handle wore through and is now very uncomfortable to use without tape on it.  Used the warranty form at Klein's website and never heard a peep from them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Forster bits.

I thought it was impossible to get a clean hole in wood until I discovered them.

Perfectly square edges on the hole everytime.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The most annoyingly loud, piercing whine I have ever heard a tool make.
It does work quite well though. Mine gets used just about every day at work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Milwaukee M18 shop vac.  

Linky

Honestly, probably the best $100 bucks ive spent on a tool.  Good power, good suction, and its quite portable.

The most annoyingly loud, piercing whine I have ever heard a tool make.
It does work quite well though. Mine gets used just about every day at work.
I had the 1st gen version. it was not good. the newer one is much better. it is loud AF though. I guess its a case of suction, quiet, small, pick two.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Knipex smooth jaw adjustable locking wrench....expensive, but literally the best thing ever made for installing roll pins in ARs. Pounding is for noobs!

Also, Milwaukee Surge hydraulic 1/4” impact drivers are great! No ear ringing like regular impacts. I have the M18 Fuel, will be buying M12 Fuel Surge asap.
View Quote

Yes, the surge impacts are awesome! I use the m12 daily and with the 6.0 batteries, it lasts forever. Although, I mostly use it for sheet metal screws, it has no problem driving 3" wood screws. I also have the surge m18 and it seems like it might have just a little more grunt, but I like the weight of the m12 better.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top