Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got this one a while ago on prime day for under $200, it is awesome! I'm waiting for the metric set to go on sale now. Used it to help while I was making up a couple transformers and a UPS this week during a shutdown and it was just what I needed. Super convenient to be able to turn the ratchet handle into a ratcheting screwdriver or have it inverted so I'm ratcheting on a fastener that is "blind" to me with the handle on my side.
https://www.kctool.com/wera-003535-zyklop-ratchet-premium-1-4-drive-sae-set/

I also grabbed the smaller set and it has been convenient for when a need a screwdriver in a space that only the bit would fit or need a shorter than stubby length.
https://www.kctool.com/wera-056491-tool-check-plus-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-imperial/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
stubby ratchets are pretty slick. also really wanting to get a low profile 1/4" drive bit and socket set for tough to reach places
I got this one a while ago on prime day for under $200, it is awesome! I'm waiting for the metric set to go on sale now. Used it to help while I was making up a couple transformers and a UPS this week during a shutdown and it was just what I needed. Super convenient to be able to turn the ratchet handle into a ratcheting screwdriver or have it inverted so I'm ratcheting on a fastener that is "blind" to me with the handle on my side.
https://www.kctool.com/wera-003535-zyklop-ratchet-premium-1-4-drive-sae-set/

I also grabbed the smaller set and it has been convenient for when a need a screwdriver in a space that only the bit would fit or need a shorter than stubby length.
https://www.kctool.com/wera-056491-tool-check-plus-bit-ratchet-set-with-sockets-imperial/

thanks for the real world feedback! those definitely look like great options. ive been eyeing the tool check plus set, but have also considered the matco set. right now funds are tapped out so the deliberation continues. lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, the surge impacts are awesome! I use the m12 daily and with the 6.0 batteries, it lasts forever. Although, I mostly use it for sheet metal screws, it has no problem driving 3" wood screws. I also have the surge m18 and it seems like it might have just a little more grunt, but I like the weight of the m12 better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knipex smooth jaw adjustable locking wrench....expensive, but literally the best thing ever made for installing roll pins in ARs. Pounding is for noobs!

Also, Milwaukee Surge hydraulic 1/4" impact drivers are great! No ear ringing like regular impacts. I have the M18 Fuel, will be buying M12 Fuel Surge asap.

Yes, the surge impacts are awesome! I use the m12 daily and with the 6.0 batteries, it lasts forever. Although, I mostly use it for sheet metal screws, it has no problem driving 3" wood screws. I also have the surge m18 and it seems like it might have just a little more grunt, but I like the weight of the m12 better.
I have 4 1/4" impacts, 2 m12 and 2m18.  Is the surge better enough to warrant a fifth?  I'm running out of places to stash the damn things, but a second in the shop wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Gearwrench Microdriver Set
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
stubby ratchets are pretty slick. also really wanting to get a low profile 1/4" drive bit and socket set for tough to reach places

will definitely look into these. i always hear great things about gearwrench. got some 120 flex head ratchets recently and while theyre definitely tall, theyre smooth
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

will definitely look into these. i always hear great things about gearwrench. got some 120 flex head ratchets recently and while theyre definitely tall, theyre smooth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than a Snap On Dual80?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fancy hole saw?
View Quote
yes and no, they are far better than a bi-metal hole saw.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SDS Roto Hammer.

Ever wanted to drill 1.5" holes through 10" of concrete in your foundation in about a minute and a half?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dude absolutely. just like coming is better than going. ill bet my life on it.

now compare the two as you intended

eta: never owned a snapon. im not an hourly or by job mechanic. so that's my disclaimer

eta2: im not a machinist
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've recently joined the Knipex master race.

I am, however, about ready to throw my oscillating multi-tool in the trash.  It is made by Horror Freight, but is a quality one that much better?  Mine was busily sucking at trying to cut some laminate counter top this week as I installed a new sink.  Was debating about going with the Dremel Ultra Saw to replace it.
View Quote
the oscillating tools are great as long as you are using them for a job that they are made for, past that they are meh at best.  I love mine, but it does have limited use in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
These, I spent years dialing in boring bars, and ordering, or grinding precision reamers before an old toolmaker turned me onto these! Some lapping compound, and a little tweaking is all it takes to dial in a precision hole.
https://i.postimg.cc/50NWHrZ5/C0-BDF204-CC06-4325-AB85-08-E8-E40679-E1.jpg
View Quote
Now that is cool, something I am likely to never need, but thanks to you now I know it exists if I do!

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have 4 1/4" impacts, 2 m12 and 2m18.  Is the surge better enough to warrant a fifth?  I'm running out of places to stash the damn things, but a second in the shop wouldn't hurt.
View Quote
The surge impacts are much quieter. Otherwise, I don't think it does anything different than the regular fuel impacts.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You know it’s tight when the head sheers off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#13]

"The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat."
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you don't have an oscillating tool, get one.  101 uses.

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.
Holy hell, it's like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it.
View Quote

My son and his wife gave me one a few years ago and it sat boxed up until this spring. Holy Hell that thing works. I can't believe I let it sit so long.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I just got a cheap tire changing stand. It's one of those things I should have bought when my local Yamaha dealer went under. They were doing tire changes 2/$15.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://mrotools.de/products/utica/detail/ts-3m-utica-torque-limiting-screwdriver-standard-adjustable-model-metric.jpg

Inch pounds, from 1 to 30. Thing is an absolute godsend for torquing in small fasteners in anything.
View Quote

@FlashMan-7k

Give us some details
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@FlashMan-7k

Give us some details
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://mrotools.de/products/utica/detail/ts-3m-utica-torque-limiting-screwdriver-standard-adjustable-model-metric.jpg

Inch pounds, from 1 to 30. Thing is an absolute godsend for torquing in small fasteners in anything.

@FlashMan-7k

Give us some details

made by utica, dunno if you can get the new:

https://www.amazon.com/Utica-TS-30-UTICA-TORQURE-LIMITING-SCREWDRIVER/dp/B005T96NR6

Model is TS-30.

Have a dive down the rabbit hole: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=utica+torque+limiting+screwdriver&t=ffsb&ia=web

You can set it in 1lb increments, just pull the collar down to unlock, than spin the internal shaft to the marking for the torque you want. Accepts regular sized 1/4 hex bits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
love these things.  they're great for stripping wires in tight spaces

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oetiker clamps

@midcap

Thanks!
View Quote

Hey Hey!

They are fantastic. And the non name brand ones are not very expensive either
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#20]
The 24V Ratchet has been a godsend.  Not an impact but it works as a breaker bar and 50 lbs of drive torque with the Kobalt that I got. Under the hood the length is actually of some benefit. Working under the dash it's restrictive.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does it compensate for the length of the unit?
View Quote

Length is taken from the ass end of the unit.
Probably already answered
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does it compensate for the length of the unit?
View Quote

Yep, it does.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#24]
HVAC guys were using impacts back in the early 2000’s for driving screws, we were still using drills. Never thought much about it…fastforward many years and my buddy uses his impact to drive a few lags for a gate hinge. I tried it and was totally blown away. Got (3) of them now

…same buddy had an oscillating tool, of which i also own now
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread pops up about once a month... Here's my usual answer: Blair rotobroach.
You'll never use a hole saw (or worse, a spade bit) again once you use one.

If you work with sheet metal there's nothing better unless you're using a punch.

Found out about it on the ham forum here a few years ago for antenna installs.

View Quote

Blair makes excellent hole cutters too…
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
SDS Roto Hammer.

Ever wanted to drill 1.5" holes through 10" of concrete in your foundation in about a minute and a half?
View Quote

Bought this one before going on vacation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SDS Roto Hammer.

View Quote

Thats a large diameter hole for an SDS to handle. Don't recall seeing a but that size either

now a spline drive
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Palm nailer
Pin nailer
View Quote

really useful

laser measurer is great item to have also. IMHO way more accurate than a tape measure
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This thread pops up about once a month... Here's my usual answer: Blair rotobroach.
You'll never use a hole saw (or worse, a spade bit) again once you use one.

If you work with sheet metal there's nothing better unless you're using a punch.

Found out about it on the ham forum here a few years ago for antenna installs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266376/roto_jpg-2094262.JPG
View Quote

I'll agree with spade bits being a poor choice to make holes, even in wood.

But trouble with these is limited size, only up to 1 1/2 and for smaller holes, say 1/2 and down, a drill is plenty good.

Thinner metal, 1/4" or so and 3/4 to 1 1/2 hole, yes, its a good tool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I have the original one and it is probably my favorite tool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Another cool tool that has saved me a few times is the MAC Tools RBRT hex socket sets.  These grip rounded and stripped hex bolts with ease.  Not something I need all the time but damn do they work when you need them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thats a large diameter hole for an SDS to handle. Don't recall seeing a but that size either

now a spline drive
View Quote

@RIP-Yataski
Spline drive is passé.
Milwaukee 1-3/4” SDS-MAX

https://www.fastenersplus.com/products/1-3-4-x-23-simpson-sds-max-quad-head-concrete-drill-bit-carbide-tip-pkg-1
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I discovered impact screwdrivers in my early 20's.

https://data.kleintools.com/sites/all/product_assets/hires/klein/70220_photo.jpg
View Quote

I needed one for a motorcycle in the 90's. Bought a cheapo at Pamida (anyone remember those?), used it once, and it's been sitting in my tool box since.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Came to post this.  

Also, must have these if you work around anything automotive.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374309/Thread_repair_kit_jpg-2094426.JPG

Going to get one of these to see how I like it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374309/Wire_Stripper_jpg-2094438.JPG
View Quote

I have a pair of those stripping 14/2 0r 12/2 romaex sheathing while the wire is in the box. Real handy
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.  Air tools suck.

When I find something that I can use for blowing stuff off, my 40gal compressor is gone.  As for inflating tires, get something like the Milwaukee M12 inflator.  I love mine and never use the compressor for tires anymore.  I hook it up ANYWHERE.  SET THE PSI.  WALK AWAY.  Repeat.
View Quote

I use my battery-powered leaf blower.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I use these as brain teasers for new hires.  Nobody has ever gotten it.

Same function as what  @AsssualtRifler posted on page 2, but moar torque.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another cool tool that has saved me a few times is the MAC Tools RBRT hex socket sets.  These grip rounded and stripped hex bolts with ease.  Not something I need all the time but damn do they work when you need them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505264/SXMH7RBRT_jpg-2095538.JPG
View Quote

These things are amazing.

For me 12v Milwaukee stuff is a time saver.

The 18v, too big for most uses, the 12v, I loosen the faster first with a regular tool the zap it out with the 12v.

The ratchets especially.  Time savers and don't fuck up the last of my hearing like air tools did.

I basically just have shop air for coolant vac filler and tire pressure.  Almost everything else is electric.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#38]
SKS
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hey Hey!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oetiker clamps

@midcap

Thanks!

Hey Hey!

They're how I found Knipex.  Ordered a clamp kit and the crimpers were Knipex.  

Instant addiction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#40]
You people are going to cost me money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who are you calling “You People”?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Who are you calling "You People"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you calling "You People"?
All y'all.  I now have two Foxelli M200 headlamps due to another freaking thread on this site from last night

$$$$ in lead throwing devices
$$$$ in quiet tubie things
$$$$ in lead, brass and fire starters
$$$$ in lead holder metal and plastic straight and curved rectangles
$$$ in lead stoppie plates
$$$ in lead stoppie plate holders
$$$ in all manner of other stuff I didn't know I needed but now have

because

All y'all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

OMG, that thing is on an angle grinder and spins?!?!?!.  How is it used?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://empire-s3-production.bobvila.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/91ITBMGfFsL._AC_SL1500_-650x433.jpg

Also, I had no idea why anyone would buy an impact driver when a drill does the job just fine.

OMG, that thing is on an angle grinder and spins?!?!?!.  How is it used?

@FelisTacet

Not an angle grinder, and it doesn't spin.  It vibrates back and forth very quickly.

Makita Oscillating Multi-Tool

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth
View Quote
I just rebuilt mine, and cleaned it back up.  It goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz when I spin it, just like it used to.

I'd say once I discovered oscillating tools 6 or 7 years ago, I spent a lot of time just thinking about how so many things in my life that I had worked on prior would have been a lot easier with an oscillating tool.  I will also give due credit to M18 impact drivers, especially if furnished with a bit kit and the quick attach drill set.  I was an air guy forever, but no so much anymore.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I just rebuilt mine, and cleaned it back up.  It goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz when I spin it, just like it used to.

I'd say once I discovered oscillating tools 6 or 7 years ago, I spent a lot of time just thinking about how so many things in my life that I had worked on prior would have been a lot easier with an oscillating tool.  I will also give due credit to M18 impact drivers, especially if furnished with a bit kit and the quick attach drill set.  I was an air guy forever, but no so much anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my Snap-off Racketing screwdriver from 25 years ago, I love that thing - so smooth

Wait, wut? There's a QD drill set for M18 impacts? Off to websearch.

Dammit, misread that. Impact drill/driver. Not impact wrench lol. For a second, I thought they might've made a QD attachment to use the M18 impact wrench as a drill/driver (1,400 ft-lbs of ugga-dugga)
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Wait, wut? There's a QD drill set for M18 impacts? Off to websearch.

Dammit, misread that. Impact drill/driver. Not impact wrench lol. For a second, I thought they might've made a QD attachment to use the M18 impact wrench as a drill/driver (1,400 ft-lbs of ugga-dugga)
View Quote
Sorry, man.  Nope, the quick attach drill bits for the 1/4 inch hex driver.  Nice if you need to drill pilot holes and then drive fasteners, but are not in a position to juggle two tools.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I need to buy one of these
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#49]
oil filter wrench?

that looks good, I like the socket type, and there's variations but the ones that work the best are the ones that tighten more the more you turn them.  I have a cheapie like this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top