BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was reading up on the Hornets NCTR system the other day. In summary the NCTR system uses the radar to count the fan blades of an unknown radar contact and tries to identify it based on that. Talk about crazy and a far cry from the sopwith camel.
View Quote
...and that is already "ancient" tech compared to what the F-22 and F-35 (and even the F-15Es and Cs with the AESA radar upgrade) are sporting currently.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hell yes! I'm loving the lack of CGI!
View Quote
The first pull to vertical was pure CGI.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn't they bring back Kelly McGillis?

Oh yeah...

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
There’s a new Top Gun movie coming out. And Maverick is wearing the same leather jacket - only this time it’s Communist Party of China-approved, so the Japanese and Taiwanese flag patches are gone (screenshot on bottom is from the new trailer).
China’s Tencent Pictures is one of the main producers of Top Gun Maverick.

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why didn't they bring back Kelly McGillis?

Oh yeah...

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Nightline/160628_ntl_top_gun_1252_16x9_992.jpg
View Quote
NEWSFLASH: OLD LADY LOOKS OLD.  MORE ON THIS DEVELOPING STORY AFTER THE WEATHER.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There’s a new Top Gun movie coming out. And Maverick is wearing the same leather jacket - only this time it’s Communist Party of China-approved, so the Japanese and Taiwanese flag patches are gone (screenshot on bottom is from the new trailer).
China’s Tencent Pictures is one of the main producers of Top Gun Maverick.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_2Vq11XkAI4B1d?format=jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_2Vq1zWsAEnHPh?format=jpg
View Quote
Saw a better pic on Twitter.

The replaced patch now references the operation and related cruise at the end of Top Gun, which was in the Indian Ocean.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...and that is already "ancient" tech compared to what the F-22 and F-35 (and even the F-15Es and Cs with the AESA radar upgrade) are sporting currently.
View Quote
I’m aware, it’s crazy what those things can do.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes! I'm loving the lack of CGI!
Blues do that maneuver all the time on their local demo rides.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Maverick was blind the entire time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Blues do their annual preseason workup at Fallon NAS and they fly those manuevers at those altitudes over the desert all the time.
View Quote
Naval Air Facility (NAF) El Centro
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Untrue. Maverick couldn’t reach the handles (and he’s I the worst ejection position possible with his face on the canopy) and goose pulls the top handle. With the delay of the canopy coming off first I don’t think it’s possible. I heard it happened once but the guy didn’t get hit in the head it hit him in the arm or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeK7NQnulbM
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually want to go to the theater for this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Saw a better pic on Twitter.
The replaced patch now references the operation and related cruise at the end of Top Gun, which was in the Indian Ocean.
View Quote
In real life he would have had the newer patch sewn on over the old patch with an offset so you could see dates or the ship.

Someone has to have a picture of their centurion landing patches sewn one over the other.

My leather flight jacket only has a name tag and a squadron patch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Naval Air Facility (NAF) El Centro
View Quote
El Sweato....
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

Archer - Highway To The Dangerzone
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That looks fucking awesome.

God I hope they don't fuck it up.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Saw the original with my dad right before we moved to Pensacola so he could attend Naval aviator/ flight school.  ALL those guys back then thought they were Tom Cruise.
View Quote
Top gun still resonates in the navy. My neighbor is a prowler/growler backseater. Named his GSD Maverick.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For the F-16, yes...the seat leans back 30 degrees.

I don't have a clue what clearance a pilot's knees would have under or around an F-16's " dash ".

But I would imagine that ACES II rocket would have so much gumption to it that inertia wise, your legs would just naturally bend under the seat.

I am sure there is some practicing with the life support folks too where they watch you quickly tuck your legs back and yank the ejection handle at the same time.  Repeatedly.

EDIT:  in their life support shop with a practice ejection seat/mock up of a cockpit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is cool as hell.  The sitting higher part makes sense in that we hear a lot of pilots mentioning the ability to see is crucial in dogfighting.  Doesn't the F-16 have the pilot leaned back more than a lot of other aircraft?  I'd be worried about wrecking my knees and lower legs in an ejection.
For the F-16, yes...the seat leans back 30 degrees.

I don't have a clue what clearance a pilot's knees would have under or around an F-16's " dash ".

But I would imagine that ACES II rocket would have so much gumption to it that inertia wise, your legs would just naturally bend under the seat.

I am sure there is some practicing with the life support folks too where they watch you quickly tuck your legs back and yank the ejection handle at the same time.  Repeatedly.

EDIT:  in their life support shop with a practice ejection seat/mock up of a cockpit.
My perspective from flying T-37s with ejection seats.  We didn’t have ankle straps so we practiced our ejection posture with life support a lot before we started flying.  Upright, feet back and pigeon toe’d. Knees would barely clear the instrument panel. Also during ejection sequence the stick would remain in place. I think part of the reason of bringing your feet back pigeon toe’d was to make sure your feet didn’t hit the stick (there’s a hand rest “lip” on the right side) on your way out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I noticed the same thing, along with lock ring on his suit in the last bit.
View Quote
It’s to protect him when he hits the last level in Scientology
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually, they did, but were mainly used by MiG-28 pilots.
https://heavyarmor.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pilot.jpg

The Gentex HGU-55 helmet has been around since at least the mid 1980s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
he may want to tighten up them belts a bit

https://i.imgur.com/UF9mOGv.gif
That also looks like the same helmet Maverick was wearing in Top Gun.
Nope.  I'm pretty sure it's a combat edge (or whatever the Navy calls their version) helmet.  The didn't exist back then.
Actually, they did, but were mainly used by MiG-28 pilots.
https://heavyarmor.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pilot.jpg

The Gentex HGU-55 helmet has been around since at least the mid 1980s.
I believe combat edge refers to an upgraded O2 mask and upgraded G suit.  My hgu-55 came with an (?) mbu-12/p O2 mask, which is newer than the stuff was in the original Top Gun (I think they were using either -5/p or -7/p masks on their hgu-33s). The -12/p was not combat edge. I think combat edge masks are -15/p maybe?
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tom Mapother always plays Tom Cruise. I've never seen him act.
View Quote
Still has more range than Marion Morrison
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen them do at the end of my runway. It was awesome
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I miss the Tomcat, loved watching them strafe the target we pulled behind us in the Gulf...nothing like having the aerial gunnery target towed by the ammunition ship...But that BRRAP like a chain saw starting up, awesome.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:43:28 AM EDT
[#27]
A) Looks just as homoerotic as the first movie

B) Roge AF Captain storyline Looks about as Tarded as that whole, my finger is my safety therefore I am special forces meme

C) LOWER....MICHAEL BAY SAYS WE NEED TO MAKE THE JETS FLY LOWER.....LOWER YOU INEPT MONKEYS....RENDER THOSE DAMN CGI JETS ONE FUCKING INCH OFF THE GROUND!!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Where’s Iceman???
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He was a LT in 1986, so he's got at least four years in, right? Figure a 1982 Commissioning. It's 2019, so a minimum of 37 years. Shouldn't he be wearing stars on his shoulder boards by now?
View Quote
Yes.  Guys from my year group (82) that stayed in are four stars now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Regarding the display, well, its hollyweird.  They change aircraft displays/HUDs all the time.  Heck, the first Transformers had really cool color/3D displays on the radar scopes/consoles in the back of the E-3 Sentry/AWACS.  Those didn't exist at the time.

No gloves?  Ha!  In Top Gun (1986) Maverick & Goose never wore gloves (heck I don't think anyone did).  Only time they were on was the ejection sequence scene and Goose had his on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tom Cruise doesn't know how to make a bad movie.
View Quote
Jack Reacher disagrees
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

NEWSFLASH: OLD LADY LOOKS OLD.  MORE ON THIS DEVELOPING STORY AFTER THE WEATHER.
View Quote
Tom Cruise is old.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't say the F-18 couldn't do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyAn3fSs8_A
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tom Cruise is old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom Cruise is old.
That's because the rich old guy can afford better plastic surgeons than the poor old lady
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My former employer had work with the F-22 Maintenance Training System. A few years ago LockMart set up a cockpit demonstrator in our plant and I got to play in it. The display with the radar had symbols representing other airplanes and next to each was an identifier (MiG-29, Su-30, etc.). The LM rep said, "I can tell you what it does, but you don't have the clearance to know how it does it." Very cool system.
View Quote
It's amazing what you can do with a PN-and-phase coded chirped doppler radar pulse, given enough processing power and bandwidth.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#38]
F/A-18 Pilot Breaks Down First 'TG: Maverick' Trailer
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I believe combat edge refers to an upgraded O2 mask and upgraded G suit.  My hgu-55 came with an (?) mbu-12/p O2 mask, which is newer than the stuff was in the original Top Gun (I think they were using either -5/p or -7/p masks on their hgu-33s). The -12/p was not combat edge. I think combat edge masks are -15/p maybe?
View Quote
Combat Edge adds an extra pneumatic bladder at the back of the neck (occipital bladder) which automatically inflates under high G loading to provide O2 mask tensioning so that the pilot is getting full oxygen when he needs it most.  It's coupled with a lightweight HGU-55/P helmet shell and the MBU-20/P oxygen mask, which is easily differentiated from the more common MBU-12/P mask by its side mounted hose fitting.   The 12/P's hose fitting is centrally located and angled downward.

There's also a Combat Edge anti-G vest that was in service with the F-22 but it was withdrawn from service (for a time, at least, I don't know its status today) as it was found to be a contributing factor in hypoxia situation that happened at times with the F-22.

I suppose that the idea of squeezing your body to keep blood flow in your core is a good thing, but squeezing air out of your lungs at the same time is counter productive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Its only fitting they have Mav riding the Iconic and Incredible Supercharged Kawasaki H2 in the movie. 3 Pages deep into the thread and no one mentioned it yet. It must not matter much then, disregard.
View Quote
He rides a motorcycle in all his movies...
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Still has more range than Marion Morrison
View Quote
The duke was always the duke
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dude, it's 2019 and there are many female fighter pilots.
View Quote
Apparently, GD doesn't understand that women can do things other than make babies and sandwiches.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]
That guy does a great podcast for people who love military flying.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#45]
(Oct 3, 2018)

Michael Ironside Talks About Why He Won’t Be in Top Gun 2
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Probably already  been covered in 10 pages...but wouldn't he have been kicked out for not getting promoted??
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Probably already  been covered in 10 pages...but wouldn't he have been kicked out for not getting promoted??
View Quote
It was covered in the trailer too
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He was a LT in 1986, so he's got at least four years in, right? Figure a 1982 Commissioning. It's 2019, so a minimum of 37 years. Shouldn't he be wearing stars on his shoulder boards by now?
View Quote
No. He’s a 59-60 year old O-6 (Captain). He’s not captain of a ship, though, just of his F-18E/F. I guess he could be a CAG, but despite being geriatric and passed over for promotion plenty of times (are there many 59-60 year old O-6s in the US Navy?) there he still is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top