Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe now they'll leave these souls to rest in peace now, but I somehow doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most likely the titanium end caps. The extreme pressure would be pushing the end caps into the 5" thick carbon sleeve so banging on the titanium end caps wouldn't effect anything. I hope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what beating on carbon fiber with metal at 6000 psi does to it..........

Most likely the titanium end caps. The extreme pressure would be pushing the end caps into the 5" thick carbon sleeve so banging on the titanium end caps wouldn't effect anything. I hope.

I'm impressed they didn't use 6061...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A question for those who know something about carbon fiber structures, because I don’t.

I thought (could be wrong) that carbon fiber is very strong in tension but not so good in compression.  Therefore with a pressure vessel, a carbon fiber construction would be good if you were going to put 5-6000psi inside the container.

That way the container is trying to expand, like a balloon, and carbon fibers are in tension and that’s where they are strong and the container works.

But with this sub the carbon fibers are being compressed by water forces around the outside.  If carbon fiber is weak in compression isn’t this whole design wrong?
View Quote

The carbon fibers are flipped around, so they work in opposite.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You've got it backwards.  They would be fuel in a diesel cylinder and no exhaust valve.  Crushed instantly and ignited for a brief moment.  Not blown out.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok, question:  isn’t carbon fiber lousy in compression and since this pressure vessel is being compressed by seawater from the outside, isn’t the whole design wrong?  Ultimate tensile strength is the wrong property, shouldn’t it be compressive strength that matters?
@ManMan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have some experience with engineering, composites and pressure.

You know what i wouldn't make a salt-water submersible out out?   Carbon-fiber...

SEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO- TENSILE TESTINGSEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND
FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO-
TENSILE TESTING

Ok, question:  isn’t carbon fiber lousy in compression and since this pressure vessel is being compressed by seawater from the outside, isn’t the whole design wrong?  Ultimate tensile strength is the wrong property, shouldn’t it be compressive strength that matters?
@ManMan

Carbon fiber composites are uneven materials, but not nearly so badly is a lot of brittle materials. Their compressive strength is less, but not by orders of magnitude: perhaps a drop of 50 or so percent. In this particular case, however, the cylinder would be subject to a buckling condition since it is externally pressurized, so modulus comes into play.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just heard on Newsmax that banging noises continue to be heard, but are difficult to locate due to topography.
View Quote

Admittedly, I am here praying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They were not exploring anything.  They were taking a ride like at Disneyland. Bunch boring old white guys already did the heavy lifting on this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh. Good old class envy.

I'm curious, what single part of this story makes you willing to stick up for this company?

That fact that people are still pushing boundaries of exploration and taking risks instead of sitting safely in their mom's basement?

I am kind of surprised that your ancestors ever left wherever they were from.
They were not exploring anything.  They were taking a ride like at Disneyland. Bunch boring old white guys already did the heavy lifting on this one.

Yeah, there's a difference in exploration versus dare devil stunts. REAL "explorers" train hard and trying to consider for and have a plan for any problem. Along with many fallback systems in case the main one fails
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

evidence suggests they can't
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The more I read about this guy the less I feel for him.  

Rush said he valued captains who were "inspirational" over experience, noting that "anybody can drive the sub," which is controlled with a $30 video game controller.

"When I started the business, one of the things you'll find, there are other sub-operators out there, but they typically have gentlemen who are ex-military submariners, and you'll see a whole bunch of 50-year-old White guys," Rush told Teledyne Marine in a 2020 Zoom interview.

"I wanted our team to be younger, to be inspirational, and I'm not going to inspire a 16-year-old to go pursue marine technology, but a 25-year-old, you know, who's a subpilot or a platform operator or one of our techs can be inspirational," Rush said. "So we've really tried to get very intelligent, motivated, younger individuals involved because we're doing things that are completely new."

evidence suggests they can't
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Such strong woMEN!
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For those who want to actually think about possiblities...  

To raise the sub if they find it and can get a remote control sub to it:
There are photos online of the sub being lifted using two straps wrapped around the tube/end cap mating surfaces.  In other words they do not have lifting eyes on the sub to lift it.  A remote control sub is not going to have the capability to wrap a strap around the sub while it is laying on the sea floor.  
There appears to be no available structural points to lift the sub that are accessible with the shrouding in place(and there may not be any lift points underneath the shroud).  So any lifting is going to be very risky and, if the people are alive, very dangerous.

If the sub is floating on the surface is weighs in excess of 23k pounds, so the only helicopters that could even maybe lift it would be a ch53 of a ch47.  Getting a strap around the floating sub is feasible, but also risky(if it is dropped the people could easily be killed when it hits the water).  In other words, if they do find it floating they will have to wait for a surface ship to catch up to it.  

View Quote

LOL.  It was sling-loaded everywhere?!  And it had to mate to that other platform to be removed from the water?  This just gets better and better...

If a P-8 got a surface radar hit on it, the HH-60 gets to it, a diver---somehow---gets a sling around it, can it be towed by the helicopter to the ship?  Like those old CH-53s they used to tow nautical demining sleds?

What a mess.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Page 50 for the 50yr old white guys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@ManMan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have some experience with engineering, composites and pressure.

You know what i wouldn't make a salt-water submersible out out?   Carbon-fiber...

SEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO- TENSILE TESTINGSEA WATER EFFECTS ON ULTIMATE TENSILE AND
FRACTURE STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBERS WITH NANO-
TENSILE TESTING

@ManMan

Strength can be easily addressed by geometry (thickness).   My concern is more that composites are very process dependent, carbon-fiber is galvanic with a lot of materials (especially in salt water),  and the failure mode for carbon-fiber is "exciting" compared to most metals
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL.  It was sling-loaded everywhere?!  And it had to mate to that other platform to be removed from the water?  This just gets better and better...

If a P-8 got a surface radar hit on it, the HH-60 gets to it, a diver---somehow---gets a sling around it, can it be towed by the helicopter to the ship?  Like those old CH-53s they used to tow nautical demining sleds?

What a mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are photos online of the sub being lifted using two straps wrapped around the tube/end cap mating surfaces.  In other words they do not have lifting eyes on the sub to lift it.  A remote control sub is not going to have the capability to wrap a strap around the sub while it is laying on the sea floor.  
There appears to be no available structural points to lift the sub that are accessible with the shrouding in place(and there may not be any lift points underneath the shroud).  So any lifting is going to be very risky and, if the people are alive, very dangerous.

If the sub is floating on the surface is weighs in excess of 23k pounds, so the only helicopters that could even maybe lift it would be a ch53 of a ch47.  Getting a strap around the floating sub is feasible, but also risky(if it is dropped the people could easily be killed when it hits the water).  In other words, if they do find it floating they will have to wait for a surface ship to catch up to it.  

What a mess.

Screw all that. Get it to the surface, open the hatch, get everybody out, send Titan to it's grave.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]

3, 4, keel hauling, 5, ride in the sub, 1, 2
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd be very interested to see what happens to organic material inside a situation like that with an ultra ultra slow mo camera.

Say a banana or a dead animal. For science.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got it backwards.  They would be fuel in a diesel cylinder and no exhaust valve.  Crushed instantly and ignited for a brief moment.  Not blown out.

I'd be very interested to see what happens to organic material inside a situation like that with an ultra ultra slow mo camera.

There's a Mythbusters episode dealing with old-school diving hard-hat helmets, a dead pig, and "the squeeze."  Nowhere near this pressure of course.  Still gross.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]

I expected more diversity. They are going to get shamed now by the woke mob.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a lot of area to search for a sub that's at best three camels long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The search area has now expanded to around 14,000 square miles - twice the size of the state of Connecticut.  

More

That well-known, standard Unit of Measurement: the Connecticut.

"We've searched over 2.3 Connecticuts so far, we estimate we'll be able to search another 1.1 Connecticuts by nightfall."

3 camels is one elephant.  You wouldn't say 3 teaspoons in a recipe.  You'd say 1 tablespoon.  C'mon, man.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There's a Mythbusters episode dealing with old-school diving hard-hat helmets, a dead pig, and "the squeeze."  Nowhere near this pressure of course.  Still gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a link to the autopsy photos of the Byford Dolphin Diving Bell accident earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#21]
IF they somehow make it which is really unlikely, I wonder if he will still say F those old white guys who pioneered the entire sub industry to begin with? This might change his perspective just a little bit...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!

Mythbusters - Compresed Diver *Gory*
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
3 camels is one elephant.  You wouldn't say 3 teaspoons in a recipe.  You'd say 1 tablespoon.  C'mon, man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The search area has now expanded to around 14,000 square miles - twice the size of the state of Connecticut.  

More

"We've searched over 2.3 Connecticuts so far, we estimate we'll be able to search another 1.1 Connecticuts by nightfall."

To hell with your fractional reductions,  we're looking for 108 Border Collies!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
IF they somehow make it which is really unlikely, I wonder if he will still say F those old white guys who pioneered the entire sub industry to begin with? This might change his perspective just a little bit...
View Quote

I think they're dead, and I think they have been dead since Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Terrible attempt at humor.

How can someone sink so low?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to hell.
Terrible attempt at humor.

How can someone sink so low?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought I heard singing sir.
View Quote

It was just a magma displacement
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The carbon fibers are flipped around, so they work in opposite.
View Quote

Now THATS the type fresh, non 50 year old white guy idea we are looking for!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Screw all that. Get it to the surface, open the hatch, get everybody out, send Titan to it's grave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It has no "hatch", they are put in, then the front it bolted on. They open that it it goes down. Best thing I could thing of would be to somehow keep it upright (if it is floating) and cut through whatever side is the "top". How hard is carbon fiber to cut?
the Titan travelled around the wreck twice and once even touched down on its deck

That was fucking stupid, considering that one sub got hooked up and luckily had a buddy down there to guide them off.

More underwater 'banging' sounds

Simple... The sub cracked, there are air tanks, the thing is floating a few thousand feet down, the titanium end caps are banging against each other. Or the sub cracked and o2 tanks are banging against each other in the current. Or it's on the bottom and the tanks are banging against something on the bottom in the current.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Recording in tweet
View Quote

Ya get what you pay for? ?????

I don’t get the expense and time being spent looking for this thing.  They knew the risks they signed up for.  My guess is they will seek these expenses back from the estates, whether dead or live. Otherwise, nobody would likely be looking.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a scientific endeavor, so can we use the more accurate measurement of roly-poly?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a mess.

Just imagine if the rigging broke as they were bobbing on the surface opening that hatch and they slipped back down into the dark......
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

#2 looks like the surgeon general tranny from PA.  3,4, and 5 look passable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is a scientific endeavor, so can we use the more accurate measurement of roly-poly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because we've now got the media attention.... so to maximize user engagement the units of measure are being licensed to Disney and we're looking for 101 Dalmatians!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have they not sent anything down yet to actually survey the wreck itself? To see if they are stuck?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I felt until these recent stories of hearing banging noises. If that is really them then they are still fucked, it would be nearly impossible to get to them before their air runs out...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More

You win.  Precision matters.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@subcomunic8r It has been decades since I was in but back then Nike tennis shoes were issued because the Russians could hear walking with boondockers well enough to pinpoint where you are in the big giant ocean. Couldn't a modern boomer or fast attack easily find those noises they are hearing?
View Quote

They could. But then the P-3 and P-8 should be able to as well. Particularly if the noise source is stationary. No need for target motion analysis (TMA).
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's a link to the autopsy photos of the Byford Dolphin Diving Bell accident earlier in this thread.
View Quote

As a diver, the Byford incident was a horrifying case study.  I have never lost anything in a diving bell or chamber that I need to go get.  I simply can't get paid enough for that risk.  If I can't do my decompression hanging out in the water column, I ain't going that deep for that long.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just imagine if the rigging broke as they were bobbing on the surface opening that hatch and they slipped back down into the dark......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a mess.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ya get what you pay for? ?????

I don’t get the expense and time being spent looking for this thing.  They knew the risks they signed up for.  My guess is they will seek these expenses back from the estates, whether dead or live. Otherwise, nobody would likely be looking.
View Quote

Did they? Did they know the window was not rated for the depth? Did they know the entire production, use, maintenance routines? This craft was built to no known standard. Who the hell knows what corners could have been cut every step of the way
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Forgot #winelovingdogmoms
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you're correct.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, because we've now got the media attention.... so to maximize user engagement the units of measure are being licensed to Disney and we're looking for 101 Dalmatians!
View Quote

Yeah but I don't like odd numbers. How about death star exhaust ports?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#50]
You got to be from Alabama to appreciate thisAttachment Attached File
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top