Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would be the opposite; they would be compacted inside the sub.  The pressure is push IN not OUT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if there was a hull failure it would be in the weakest spot (port hole window) which was only rated for something like 4500 ft. If it failed they would have all been sucked through that port hole in a millisecond. Bodies would never be found.

It would be the opposite; they would be compacted inside the sub.  The pressure is push IN not OUT.

I wonder if there would also be the thing you can see in slow motion when people film ballistic gel tests.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Sub-standard: Explorer shares how doomed Titan submersible's batteries suddenly drained during 2022 trip to Titanic - cutting short four-hour trip to just ONE

An actor who once traveled to the Titanic on the missing Titan sub shared how the vehicle's batteries suddenly drained during the expedition, forcing it to end early.

Alan Estrada shared chilling details of how the Titan's energy source quickly drained to 40 percent power during a July 2022 mission to see the ill-fated ocean liner.

That saw Mexican-born Estrada and his fellow submariners' time spent at the wreck slashed from four hours to one so they could return to the surface before the sub lost power.

Speaking on his YouTube video about the trip, he said: 'For safety reasons this is completely understandable when the last battery - the submersible has two batteries - when the second battery has only 40 percent left, it is necessary to return to the surface for safety.

'This means that the four hours that they tell you that you are going to be down there are not fulfilled

Estrada - best known for his YouTube channel - still managed to snap a stunning selfie of him standing in front of the Titan's porthole, with the Titanic's iconic bow visible in the depths.

The vlogger also told of how the Titan suffered a two hour communications blackout during his voyage.

Mexican actor Alan Estrada told DailyMail.com that the Titan submarine lost communication for two hours during the July 3, 2022 voyage to the Titanic wreck at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean

He is one of multiple people who've spoken about communications issues that plagued the sub.

Estrada also shot this incredible photo of the Titanic's famous bow.

Estrada paid $1250,000 for the trip - the going rate when he originally signed-up two years ago. The price had soared to $250,000 per passenger by the time of Titan's disappearance.

The YouTuber said he was aware of the risks the voyage entailed - but went anyway.

'Because it is an experimental submersible, many things can happen and we were aware that not only something could happen that could put your life at risk,' Estrada explained. 'But the dive probably could not be done successfully if the weather was not in your favor.'

Speaking on his clip about the communications issue, Estrada said: 'After 1,000 meters Scott, the pilot, detects a failure in his communication system.

'It is vital that we cannot communicate with the surface, otherwise we can get lost and drift in the middle of the ocean.'

The submarine had descended about 6,500 meters when the pilot released a ballast tank from each side to help it float back upwards. A short while later, the vessel regained communication with the ship at the surface and resumed its journey.

Estrada spoke after CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue revealed Monday his troublesome experience on the Titan - which saw it suffer yet more communications issues.

The difficulties caused the submarine to be reported missing for two and a half hours - a similar amount of time to the blackout suffered during Estrada's expedition.

More
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sub-standard: Explorer shares how doomed Titan submersible's batteries suddenly drained during 2022 trip to Titanic - cutting short four-hour trip to just ONE

An actor who once traveled to the Titanic on the missing Titan sub shared how the vehicle's batteries suddenly drained during the expedition, forcing it to end early.

Alan Estrada shared chilling details of how the Titan's energy source quickly drained to 40 percent power during a July 2022 mission to see the ill-fated ocean liner.

That saw Mexican-born Estrada and his fellow submariners' time spent at the wreck slashed from four hours to one so they could return to the surface before the sub lost power.

Speaking on his YouTube video about the trip, he said: 'For safety reasons this is completely understandable when the last battery - the submersible has two batteries - when the second battery has only 40 percent left, it is necessary to return to the surface for safety.

'This means that the four hours that they tell you that you are going to be down there are not fulfilled

Estrada - best known for his YouTube channel - still managed to snap a stunning selfie of him standing in front of the Titan's porthole, with the Titanic's iconic bow visible in the depths.

The vlogger also told of how the Titan suffered a two hour communications blackout during his voyage.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/21/19/72381011-12219589-Mexican_actor_Alan_Estrada_told_DailyMail_com_that_the_Titan_sub-a-1_1687372865154.jpg

Mexican actor Alan Estrada told DailyMail.com that the Titan submarine lost communication for two hours during the July 3, 2022 voyage to the Titanic wreck at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean

He is one of multiple people who've spoken about communications issues that plagued the sub.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/21/17/72381017-12219589-image-a-2_1687365374568.jpg

Estrada also shot this incredible photo of the Titanic's famous bow.

Estrada paid $1250,000 for the trip - the going rate when he originally signed-up two years ago. The price had soared to $250,000 per passenger by the time of Titan's disappearance.

The YouTuber said he was aware of the risks the voyage entailed - but went anyway.

'Because it is an experimental submersible, many things can happen and we were aware that not only something could happen that could put your life at risk,' Estrada explained. 'But the dive probably could not be done successfully if the weather was not in your favor.'

Speaking on his clip about the communications issue, Estrada said: 'After 1,000 meters Scott, the pilot, detects a failure in his communication system.

'It is vital that we cannot communicate with the surface, otherwise we can get lost and drift in the middle of the ocean.'

The submarine had descended about 6,500 meters when the pilot released a ballast tank from each side to help it float back upwards. A short while later, the vessel regained communication with the ship at the surface and resumed its journey.

Estrada spoke after CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue revealed Monday his troublesome experience on the Titan - which saw it suffer yet more communications issues.

The difficulties caused the submarine to be reported missing for two and a half hours - a similar amount of time to the blackout suffered during Estrada's expedition.

More
View Quote

They did a partial ballast dump on that trip. That's probably what shortened the trip. Had to use more of the vertical motors to get down to the wreck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's not the dying part that's terrible, it's the days waiting for it to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh please, there's fall worse than falling asleep!  I mean, that's not my choice of ways to die... but drowning in darkness due to a hull leak would be worse!
It's not the dying part that's terrible, it's the days waiting for it to happen.

CO2 poisoning is not "falling asleep."
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thats the first I've ever seen of information on decompression injury/death. Interesting stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To those of you interested in seeing what happens during an explosive decompression to divers (not quite similar to the Titan, but still interestingly none the less)

Warning : This is extremely graphic

Thats the first I've ever seen of information on decompression injury/death. Interesting stuff.

Indeed. And that's damage from only 132psi.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To those of you interested in seeing what happens during an explosive decompression to divers (not quite similar to the Titan, but still interestingly none the less)

View Quote

The Titan incident is the exact opposite and pushed to extremes,  rather than getting sucked out a small hole or having your blood boil (de-compressed), they are going to get crushed into a layer of pate' between two layers of hull.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

I see our taste in women is exactly the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
somehow, being in b&w makes it not seem quite so horrific
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's a link to the autopsy photos of the Byford Dolphin Diving Bell accident earlier in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got it backwards.  They would be fuel in a diesel cylinder and no exhaust valve.  Crushed instantly and ignited for a brief moment.  Not blown out.

I'd be very interested to see what happens to organic material inside a situation like that with an ultra ultra slow mo camera.

Say a banana or a dead animal. For science.

There's a Mythbusters episode dealing with old-school diving hard-hat helmets, a dead pig, and "the squeeze."  Nowhere near this pressure of course.  Still gross.
There's a link to the autopsy photos of the Byford Dolphin Diving Bell accident earlier in this thread.

Mostly there except for a few important things. Knees, a pelvis, a hip, most of your internal organs and your balls.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
somehow, being in b&w makes it not seem quite so disgusting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
somehow, being in b&w makes it not seem quite so disgusting

According to Paul Simon, everything looks worse in black and white.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Mexican actor Alan Estrada's trip to the Titanic. Check out when the CEO talks about the plexiglass window at (22:08)

Mi expedición al TITANIC parte 1/4 | Alan por el mundo
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The issue with loss of communications is again brought up.  When a problem keeps coming up and isn't resolved it will lead to greater problems.

That explains why the support ship didn't report the loss of the submersible for 8 hours to the Coast Guard.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just caught a blurb about 30 min old on the Fox news FB saying they picked up more "noises" in the search
View Quote

How many things are around there now to make noises??
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mexican actor Alan Estrada's trip to the Titanic. Check out when the CEO talks about the plexiglass window at (22:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5SUDFE6CA
View Quote

Hory Sheet!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CO2 poisoning is not "falling asleep."
View Quote

Correct, CO2 poisoning is suffocating because you can't exhale/off-gas.  We can survive ok, down to about 14% O2 (for a little while) but if CO2 gets too high, we can't exchange gasses.  At 40% CO2, you would suffocate even if the O2 concentration was a normal 21%.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

"You get a huge warning if it's gonna fail"
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well that’s horrible
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got real interested in that story but didn't want the gore, then did several searches *around the subject* and wound up with the gore, indirectly (showed up in an image search).

However, it's not as terrible as you'd think. The forensics people who wrote the documentation used black and white photography. It's like cadaver-quality specimens, so no "buckets of blood."

Did see one color photo of the eviscerated remains of Diver #4 laid out on a gurney but that's it for color. Again, have not seen the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hory Sheet!
View Quote

7" inch thick of plexiglass rated for 4500 ft pushing in (flexing) 3/4" of an inch at 12,500 ft. I would have said "I'm out!"
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

While researching the subject last night, I came across an article describing how steel at those depths gets thinner. It's a considerable amount.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
So the titanium caps are 3.25" thick. Fuck that
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

7" inch thick of plexiglass rated for 4500 ft pushing in (flexing) 3/4" of an inch at 12,500 ft. I would have said "I'm out!"
View Quote

But it will crackle and give you a warning
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Seems odd to me, admittedly a layman, that with all of the assets on scene that they cannot get a fix on where the 'banging' sounds are located.

View Quote

The vast odds are, one or more of these "assets" is whats making the banging noises.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How many Shunnarah Billboards deep is the sub currently do you reckon?
View Quote

I'm not sure, but I bet he has enough to get there and still have some left over!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hory Sheet!
View Quote

Hory sheet, indeed.  They really are running that bitch off windows 10.

Imagine making it down to 4000ft and the thing decides its time to reboot and apply updates.  Or you're using your madkatz controller and accidentally click the internet explorer icon and the whole sub lags for the next 30 minutes while that tries to load.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What he said about it starting to crack before it imploded, giving you a warning and time to start ascending.....is that true?

I have no knowledge of the properties of plexiglass. It seems that a terrible way to know when to turn around ("windows are cracking, let's head home!") but....is it true?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hory sheet, indeed.  They really are running that bitch off windows 10.
View Quote

I saw that and will freely admit to cringing.

My optimism is waning.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hory Sheet!
View Quote

"It starts to crackle".  That's very reassuring. I think their bones all made a crackling sound at the very end.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

"You're remembered for the rules you break, and I've broken a few rules to make this"

Yeah this would really fill me with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What he said about it starting to crack before it imploded, giving you a warning and time to start ascending.....is that true?

I have no knowledge of the properties of plexiglass. It seems that a terrible way to know when to turn around ("windows are cracking, let's head home!") but....is it true?
View Quote

He didnt say anything about ascending, just the crackle warning
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Considering the passengers are all rich, they're paying the costs of this search and rescue right?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea if it starts to crack it's gonna fail. Probably talking in the milliseconds. They probably wouldn't even see it crack, it would happen so fast, like an explosion.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Shitters full and the windows crackling, time to get topside boys.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Most amazing thing out of all of this for me, is learning how a plane that is noisy as fuck can “hear” banging underwater
View Quote

They drop sonar bouys into the water and listen.  That is how they plan to locate and attack enemy submarines in war time.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FYI,

If you're into dark humor, /pol/ is having a field day with this one.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He didnt say anything about ascending, just the crackle warning
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watch the last half hour of "The Abyss", when the larger submersible gets crushed, that's pretty much what would happen, only faster.  Crack, crack, foomp.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone posted this yet? The CEO is a progressive anti white douche.

https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/06/21/watch-oceangate-ceos-dei-rant-hiring-old-white-guys-not-inspirational/https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/06/21/watch-oceangate-ceos-dei-rant-hiring-old-white-guys-not-inspirational/
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine the adrenaline that pumped through his body when he heard that sound 3/4 of the way down to the Titanic.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Part 2

Mi expedición al TITANIC parte 2/4 | Alan por el mundo
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Lol my son would have killed to have that on our last range trip. He grabbed the spam can but forgot the can opener. Had to use a screwdriver and a hammer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yea if it starts to crack it's gonna fail. Probably talking in the milliseconds. They probably wouldn't even see it crack, it would happen so fast, like an explosion.
View Quote

@realwar would it be an explosion or an implosion?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#46]

lmao, how quickly this thread turned.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I would expect of carbon fiber or.....ehhh, pretty much any other material I know anything about. Which is why I asked - is there some unique property of plexiglass that would allow it to crack under pressure to an extent that was noticeable but not immediately catastrophic and would allow them to head back before it finished cracking?

Surely he didn't completely make that up out of thin air. Please, tell me he said that based on something.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#48]
53 year old white guy in on 53
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus listening to that guy talk is like listening to Michael Scott from The Office.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If they found this thing floating in the water, could a helicopter grab it and fly it somewhere?  How much does it weigh?
View Quote

Over 20,000 pounds. It would take a Chinook or Sea Stallion would be my guess.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top