Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What Happens When a Submarine Sinks | Last Moments

Losing Power on the Seabed | Last Moments
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't find the other one, but you can see the handle to open the door here under his left arm:

https://i.ibb.co/ckjV0jG/Door.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correct. I think I am mistaken. I am shocked they spent the cash on what appears to be another carbon fiber wound cylinder.  Also how do you access the wiring and internal structure for inspection?

There's a pic that shows an access door in the rear behind the main monitor with a guy in there working on something. The pic was in one of the videos, but this thread is moving too fast and I'm not sure which video showed it. It would seem that would be inadequate to access everything.

I can't find the other one, but you can see the handle to open the door here under his left arm:

That's him pressing the 12 dollar Amazon button.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know if I've missed it, but did this mini sub have not have a way to transmit an emergency ping for an extentended period of time?  How is this thing "missing"?  They didn't install a redundant pinging device of some type for emergencies on this thing?
View Quote

they used an ARFCOM favorite  . . . . a BAOFENG

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read somewhere it's been down 4 times. If that plexiglas "window" flexed 3/4 of an inch 4 times...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way. It dove to the titanic less than 5 times. I may have made a total of 40 fives including shallower one, but no way in hell it made that many dives that far down
I read somewhere it's been down 4 times. If that plexiglas "window" flexed 3/4 of an inch 4 times...
I do believe this was their 5th actual dive to that depth.
With tales from the first 4 dives including things like electrical failures, temporary loss of comms,
emergency ballast releases and "it was a suicide mission".  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]

I’m sure the old sub could use a spray or two by now…
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correct. I think I am mistaken. I am shocked they spent the cash on what appears to be another carbon fiber wound cylinder.  Also how do you access the wiring and internal structure for inspection?

There's a pic that shows an access door in the rear behind the main monitor with a guy in there working on something. The pic was in one of the videos, but this thread is moving too fast and I'm not sure which video showed it. It would seem that would be inadequate to access everything.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know if I've missed it, but did this mini sub have not have a way to transmit an emergency ping for an extentended period of time?  How is this thing "missing"?  They didn't install a redundant pinging device of some type for emergencies on this thing?

I know nothing about subs or underwater stuff, but this whole thing appears to be ridiculous.
View Quote
They were just explorers, part of an elite club, not rocket scientists.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@SAE why not just create your own stress points in the carbon fiber wound tube by running some self tapping stainless fasteners in it to hold the Amazon basics RAM mount knock off monitor stand. see attached. I don't think there was an outer hull.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/162868/IMG_7044-2859606.jpg
View Quote
That joystick extension was 3D printed. Probably on an Ender 3
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Walmart seat cushion says it all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@SAE why not just create your own stress points in the carbon fiber wound tube by running some self tapping stainless fasteners in it to hold the Amazon basics RAM mount knock off monitor stand. see attached. I don't think there was an outer hull.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet those morons were banging on the carbon fiber and that shit cracked and imploded in a fraction of a second.

Calm begets calm. Someone on that vessel killed everyone.

Unless there was an undetected stress fracture in the outer hull that they didn't know about.

Or something.

Holy fuck if that is real....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tons. They are never used otherwise. Ever. They stay sealed up and everyone just hopes they work, and that crews will know how to use them in the event war breaks out.
View Quote

LOL, no
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Damn, that 2 seater is cool as hell.

Am I crazy for saying I'd get in one tomorrow?
View Quote

I would get in that 2 seat ball but not in the the propane tank controlled with a PS controller and a Windows 98.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
$250k per person and no EPIRB or PLB?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Walmart seat cushion says it all.
View All Quotes

Very inspirational
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Where would you out that? I guess they could mount the antenna outside
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Someone needs to buy this stuff for a larping session. The whole setup could probably be done for $300 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL what do you think would happen to that thing at 12,000 feet?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/b6v1PKK/Door.jpg

I don’t know what stuff they may have behind that door but I do know it wasn’t a way out!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Someone needs to buy this stuff for a larping session. The whole setup could probably be done for $300 bucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@GrinningDag

I will help you get started.

rv hand holds:
https://a.co/d/8AP0MiX

switch:
https://a.co/d/85OeywE

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's attached to a layer of insulation, IIRC.

These guys did some hokey shit, there's no way to screwed the fucking monitors into the hull though.
View Quote

That looks a lot like carbon fiber that the monitor is screwed into.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Step #1 to getting rich is to not pay taxes. Not that it matters
View Quote

Musk paid 11 billion...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]

I get being frugal and not wantonly wasting money but this guys ego and cheapness got himself and 4 'customers' killed.

Not wanting voice comms, which is possible underwater, because it was too distracting to send status updates is ego.

Using cheap shit from Amazon and Walmart when you're doing one of the most high risk operations humans can do is being cheap to the point of killing people.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update on pings and progress?

thanks
View Quote

CG just received a ping back it was: 127.0.0.1

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Might be of some use on the surface, but 12,000 feet down, LOL.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#30]

They are bolted in. The epirb is water activated. How would they deploy it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Futility/The Wreck of the Titan 1898

My son found this today.  Odd set of coincidences.  Original book was written in 1898 about a ship called the Titan sinking in the North Atlantic.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not going to read 60 pages so hopefully one of you can answer this question. Why would anyone design a sub with all that cabling shit exposed to the elements. Even a dumb dumb like myself would run that inside the hull or at least have some type of conduit to protect the cabling.

But what the hell do I know.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update on pings and progress?

thanks

There's no place like home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I get being frugal and not wantonly wasting money but this guys ego and cheapness got himself and 4 'customers' killed.

Not wanting voice comms, which is possible underwater, because it was too distracting to send status updates is ego.

Using cheap shit from Amazon and Walmart when you're doing one of the most high risk operations humans can do is being cheap to the point of killing people.
View Quote
It's actually pretty amazing that thing survived 4 and 1/2 trips down that deep.

The dude really had zero respect for the type of forces and the environment he was dealing with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't combed the thread to see if this has been posted up yet.

Here's a video from the documentary "The Abyss" that shows an example of an implosion on an underwater vehicle.

The Abyss - Lt. Coffey's death
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
The US Navy just retired their last DSRV pilot
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#37]
well. at the end of the day, i know EXACTLY where this thing will be...  at the bottom of the money pit on oak island
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#38]
This is the attitude of the future.  No regards to the ways of the past.  What an epic dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
How many hours left?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm not going to read 60 pages so hopefully one of you can answer this question. Why would anyone design a sub with all that cabling shit exposed to the elements. Even a dumb dumb like myself would run that inside the hull or at least have some type of conduit to protect the cabling.

View Quote
Others have raised that question as well.
Haven't seen any real plausible reason other than this outfit really not knowing what they were doing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How many hours left?
View Quote

aprox ~12 hours

At 8-9am eastern Thursday, it's lights out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adding conduit adds air pockets would be my guess.  That conduit would have to be rated for 5500PSI, not possible.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Josh Gates from Expedition Unknown was in this sub but passed on going a second time.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/expedition-unknown-tv-host-josh-gates-titanic-sub-dive-concerns-1235422136/amp/
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many hours left?
View Quote

none im betting. i bet if it it didnt implode it lost power. if it lost power there was no heat, its 31 degrees in an unheated tube for 4 days. without heavy clothing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
well. at the end of the day, i know EXACTLY where this thing will be...  at the bottom of the money pit on oak island
View Quote

Well, at least they will finally find something other than mud…
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Has anyone posted this yet? The CEO is a progressive anti white douche.

https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/06/21/watch-oceangate-ceos-dei-rant-hiring-old-white-guys-not-inspirational/https://thenationalpulse.com/2023/06/21/watch-oceangate-ceos-dei-rant-hiring-old-white-guys-not-inspirational/
View Quote

Go woke, get wrecked?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Haven't seen any real plausible reason other than this outfit really not knowing what they were doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weight savings? Ease of access/ maintenance?

No one on their team apparently considered risk of entanglement.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How many hours left?
View Quote
11 hours 52 min.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top