Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are manual & automatic models.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are bolted in. The epirb is water activated. How would they deploy it?

There are manual & automatic models.

They are activated automatically (float off) or manually (turned on). Float off is obviously not an option. How do you turn one on and send it to the surface (never mind it won’t survive the pressure) when you can’t open the only entrance/exit?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yup.

Not seeing the problem, except it doesn't look sexy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevlar rope. 31k lb tensile is only 1/2” diameter.

Yup.

Not seeing the problem, except it doesn't look sexy.

Are you kidding? The toilet alone nearly broke their budget!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn this thread is moving fast.

Did they find the foundering vessel and rescue all souls on board and reunite them with their families and pets on the deck of the mystery rescue ship with back slaps and tears and tugging at your heart stings music or something ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No one has any idea, really.  

As any diver or firefighter knows from experience, breathing rates will be a significant factor ...and the breathing rates of untrained passengers under stress are likely to adversely impact their supply significantly.  I'm also skeptical of the company's 96-hour estimate of supply/scrubbing, but even assuming it is a fair estimate for 5 people, I believe the stress would have pushed them to the limit already, assuming, of course, they did not perish in a fire or due to catastrophic structural failure, which I think is more likely.
View Quote

Scba off a fire engine, sure your supposed to get 15 min of air, go fight a real fire and have a dozen curve balls thrown at you in the situation and you will feel like it lasts 5 min

Most people in that situation will panic, probably a lot of fighting as well over the situation

Then again, do we trust anything from this company? They probably claim 5 days knowing it has 2 and “nothing will happen” anyways mentality
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Adding conduit adds air pockets would be my guess.  That conduit would have to be rated for 5500PSI, not possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not going to read 60 pages so hopefully one of you can answer this question. Why would anyone design a sub with all that cabling shit exposed to the elements. Even a dumb dumb like myself would run that inside the hull or at least have some type of conduit to protect the cabling.

But what the hell do I know.

Adding conduit adds air pockets would be my guess.  That conduit would have to be rated for 5500PSI, not possible.
Conduit with weep holes.  Protect the cabling but allow the pressure to equalize.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do the guys that kill themselves with a running car/garden hose get passed out drunk ?
View Quote

Just going to say this. All the ones we picked up were red and did not look like they died a happy death.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not going to read 60 pages so hopefully one of you can answer this question. Why would anyone design a sub with all that cabling shit exposed to the elements. Even a dumb dumb like myself would run that inside the hull or at least have some type of conduit to protect the cabling.

But what the hell do I know.
View Quote

Its been answered several times, your question even has the answer in it: Thats 50 year old white guy thinking. Ocean Gate knows that their strength comes not from their engineering, nor their rhino liner coated, carbon fiber hulls, but from their inspirational diversity, a strength even the deepest depths can never overcome.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Did Vossler fix the comms problem ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice choice for a company name. Oceangate. Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember going to bed knowing Trump won only to wake up and they found votes for Biden.

Going to bed unhopeful. Hoping for a full reverse course when I wake up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha!
I was thinking the same thing...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tons. They are never used otherwise. Ever. They stay sealed up and everyone just hopes they work, and that crews will know how to use them in the event war breaks out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many sonobuoys have been dropped? Are they recoverable?

Tons. They are never used otherwise. Ever. They stay sealed up and everyone just hopes they work, and that crews will know how to use them in the event war breaks out.

I would also point out that those sonobuoys do have a finite shelf life.  They are designed to corrode/dissolve away over time.  The batteries in them are (at least from what I remember) packs made of alkaline batteries.

Better used for this than sit in storage and expire only to be trashed/demil.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But where is the antenna? I was under the impression modern subs are sending up a antenna to communicate, but I don’t know for sure
Any amount of water is incredibly hard on radio waves
Add salt to the mix and it just gets worse

But I won’t claim to be an expert on the subject
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read that. The USN used VLF on subs for sometime.

But where is the antenna? I was under the impression modern subs are sending up a antenna to communicate, but I don’t know for sure

It’s actually ELF (extremely low frequencies).  The sub raises a cable on a buoy to around 30 meters for comms.
I guess no Netflix on the boomers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well that had to feel odd.
View Quote

It would probably happen so fast, they're nervous system wouldn't even register it.

Like swatting a fly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!
No Nikes.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Wife of missing OceanGate CEO is the great-great-granddaughter of Macy's founder and his spouse who were immortalized in James Cameron's Titanic movie as elderly couple who embraced on the bed as the 'unsinkable' ship went down

Wendy Rush is the wife of OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who is among the five people missing on board the submersible. Her great-great-grandparents died on the Titanic

Isidor Straus and his wife Ida died on the Titanic. Isidor co-owned Macy's with his brother, Nathan: their father, Lazarus Straus, convinced Rowland Hussey Macy, founder of Macy's, to allow L. Straus & Sons to open a crockery department in the store. Isidor and Nathan became co-owners in 1896

Isidor and Ida Straus are depicted lying on a bed as the water rises in the 1997 film

The pair had in real life been offered seats on a lifeboat - her as a woman, and him as a well-known former congressman and co-owner of Macy's department store. But Isidor refused, saying he would not go until all the women and children had gone, and Ida then refused to go without her husband of 40 years.

She gave her mink coat to her maid, Ellen Bird, to keep her warm as she sailed away on the lifeboat.

Wendy Rush, born Wendy Hollings Weil, married engineer and entrepreneur Stockton Rush in 1986.

She is descended from Isidor and Ida Straus's daughter Minnie, who married Dr. Richard Weil in 1905.

Their son, Richard Weil Jr., later served as president of Macy's New York, and his son, Dr. Richard Weil III, is Wendy Rush's father, The New York Times reported.

Wendy Rush has visited the Titanic wreckage three times with her husband's company in the last two years, and works as OceanGate's communications director.

Stockton Rush, 61, founded OceanGate in 2009.

The Seattle-born, Princeton-educated aeronautical engineer worked on fighter jets and initially hoped to go to Mars before switching his attention to the sea.

Leaders in the submersible industry sent a letter to OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush (pictured) – who is currently missing along with the vessel – urging him to take caution

More
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder how much time the CEO had to ponder whatever situation he was in could have been avoided by not cutting one of the many corners he cut.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its been answered several times, your question even has the answer in it: Thats 50 year old white guy thinking. Ocean Gate knows that their strength comes not from their engineering, nor their rhino liner coated, carbon fiber hulls, but from their inspirational diversity, a strength even the deepest depths can never overcome.
View Quote

I'm sure even as he's suffocating his final thought will be "fuck those white guys"

They're always stubborn to the end.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They are activated automatically (float off) or manually (turned on). Float off is obviously not an option. How do you turn one on and send it to the surface (never mind it won’t survive the pressure) when you can’t open the only entrance/exit?
View Quote

Updated—UHF and most radio signals are worthless under seawater.  EPIRBs and Personal Locater Beacons are worthless underwater.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that the "only switch" onboard that the CEO points out in several videos looks a lot like these cheap 12V push switches available from Amazon and a lot of other places?

Here's a 2 pack for $16 with free Prime shipping.

edit: yep, I see several others have pointed this out as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164515/IMG_4355_jpeg-2859699.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164515/IMG_4356_jpeg-2859707.JPG

View Quote

These are knock offs of the original that is a very good switch. I forget the brand of the good ones, been a while since I used them, but they are very nice switches. That said, no idea what they used here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It’s actually ELF (extremely low frequencies).  The sub raises a cable on a buoy to around 30 meters for comms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick to HVAC. ELF has long been decommissioned. VLF is still in use.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Futility/The Wreck of the Titan 1898

My son found this today.  Odd set of coincidences.  Original book was written in 1898 about a ship called the Titan sinking in the North Atlantic.
View Quote

I remember that book.

Moral of the story for seafarers:  Don't name your shit anything with "Titan" in it and sail it into the Atlantic.

I wonder if the Titanic was an attempt at being semantic about it?  "Bruh!  Why did you name that ship TITANIC?!?"

"Dude, it's ok.  We add the "ic" so it's fine."
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#26]
if they by some miracle find it how do they bring it up?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:[/b  We need a “you have died from inspiration” Oregon trail meme.

https://imgflip.com/i/7q56x6

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

These are knock offs of the original that is a very good switch. I forget the brand of the good ones, been a while since I used them, but they are very nice switches. That said, no idea what they used here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that the "only switch" onboard that the CEO points out in several videos looks a lot like these cheap 12V push switches available from Amazon and a lot of other places?

Here's a 2 pack for $16 with free Prime shipping.

edit: yep, I see several others have pointed this out as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164515/IMG_4355_jpeg-2859699.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164515/IMG_4356_jpeg-2859707.JPG

His turned red and green. I've only seen that in the Amazon flavor. In the video it looked like it flipped the relay for one bus .
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Updated—UHF and most radio signals are worthless under seawater.  EPIRBs and Personal Locater Beacons are worthless underwater.
View Quote

So's the Titan.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
if they by some miracle find it how do they bring it up?
View Quote

At this point, unless they're very lucky, they probably don't. At least not in time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I saw that and will freely admit to cringing.

My optimism is waning.
View Quote

I grew up using basic

10 goto 20 if x>y.

They're dead Jim.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would also point out that those sonobuoys do have a finite shelf life.  They are designed to corrode/dissolve away over time.  The batteries in them are (at least from what I remember) packs made of alkaline batteries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many sonobuoys have been dropped? Are they recoverable?

Exactly. People complaining about the cost and actually using equipment...this is getting the right people valuable experience and making sure systems work as intended which you can't replicate fully with training.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Well its been fun following this thread.

Honestly its been educational.

However it seems that its come to an end, unless the finger of God happens to intervene between now and tomorrow morning.

I'll pray that He does and hope that it's His will.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight winch, some 1/4" aircraft cable and some pulleys. Would fit with the design standard of that turd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing it has something to do with weighing 22K pounds and needing 3 miles of "tether" to do that.
Harbor Freight winch, some 1/4" aircraft cable and some pulleys. Would fit with the design standard of that turd.

Apropos of that, they're reforming the company as Watergate...

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I beg your pardon for the misinformation. I do have 2 Ham licenses.  The licensing study books had very little on Sub comms.
Please enlighten us.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Explorers Club president says life-saving deep sea surveillance drones for Titanic sub search are being caught up in red tape by the Coast Guard and GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw demands answers

Richard Garriott, president of the New York-based Explorers Club, on Wednesday said vital rescue equipment was being held up by US bureaucracy

The president of the New York-based Explorers Club has accused the U.S. government of delaying the delivery of vital equipment for the search for the missing Titanic tourist sub.

Richard Garriott told National Geographic that he had complained to top officials about the bureaucracy hampering the race against the clock.

Two of the five on board - British billionaire Hamish Harding and French Titanic expert PH Nargeolet - are members of the Explorers Club.

Other members have worked to enable deep sea company Magellan, based in Guernsey in the British Isles, to ship its surveillance equipment to the site: Magellan has Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) which last year surveyed the Titanic site.

Yet Magellan has not obtained the permits necessary to get to the site, Garriott said.

Richard Garriott, president of the Explorers Club, on Wednesday accused the US government of holding up efforts to get equipment to the rescue site

A Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) operated by Magellan is pictured in action

He wrote on Wednesday afternoon to Vice Admiral William Galanis, commander of Naval Sea Systems Command; U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John W. Mauger, who is leading the recovery mission; Congressman Lloyd Doggett; and Representative Eric Swalwell, urging them to allow Magellan to the site.

'Magellan has received mixed signals, first hearing from US Gov to get ready, waiting for plans - then getting told to stand down,' wrote Garriott.

The U.S. Coast Guard has not responded to DailyMail.com's request for comment.

Garriott told National Geographic that, even with only 24 hours of air left, it was vital to continue fighting to find the missing sub.

'Whatever the right thing is to do, we should still do it, even if it's now at the cusp of fatality,' he said.

The Magellan Argus-class ROVs are capable of deploying to 6,000 meters (19,700 feet) and are outfitted with external arms that can retrieve and raise Titan.

They could be delivered to the site within 16 hours.

Instead of Magellan's ROVs, the U.S. Navy has sent its Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System, which was used to retrieve an F-35 from 12,400 feet of water in March.

But Garriott said that there are fears the Navy's equipment will crush the capsule.

'The concern is that the big scooper will crush the hull, because it would be almost impossible to get down under it in the mud without applying pressure to the hull itself,' said Garriott.

'Instead, a 6,000-meter working-class ROV has the ability to attach directly to the point on the top of the sub.

'It's a traditional method and people like Magellan have done it over and over again. It's the way it's designed to happen.'

Garriott's concerns about the bureaucratic hurdles echo those aired on Monday by OceanGate advisor David Concannon.

'We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now,' he said.

'This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

'When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get 'out of office' replies - not from everyone, but from key people that have a sign-off on this.'

He told NewsNation: 'That's unacceptable.'

Continued
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#37]
60 pages. Wow. Been in it since 1.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their branding is on point for notoriety.

Heaven’s
Water
Ocean
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing it has something to do with weighing 22K pounds and needing 3 miles of "tether" to do that.

The new company will be run by a bunch of white dudes in their 50s. They might rename it Whitewater.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do they broadcast out of Jim Creek?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
53 year old white guy in on 53
View Quote

52 year old checking in on likely page 54,
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I beg your pardon for the misinformation. I do have 2 Ham licenses.  The licensing study books had very little on Sub comms.
Please enlighten us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please enlighten us.

I have no HAM licenses. Look at my screen name and avatar. What do you think I’ve done for the last 40 years?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Explorers Club president says life-saving deep sea surveillance drones for Titanic sub search are being caught up in red tape by the Coast Guard and GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw demands answers

Richard Garriott, president of the New York-based Explorers Club, on Wednesday said vital rescue equipment was being held up by US bureaucracy

The president of the New York-based Explorers Club has accused the U.S. government of delaying the delivery of vital equipment for the search for the missing Titanic tourist sub.

Richard Garriott told National Geographic that he had complained to top officials about the bureaucracy hampering the race against the clock.

Two of the five on board - British billionaire Hamish Harding and French Titanic expert PH Nargeolet - are members of the Explorers Club.

Other members have worked to enable deep sea company Magellan, based in Guernsey in the British Isles, to ship its surveillance equipment to the site: Magellan has Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) which last year surveyed the Titanic site.

Yet Magellan has not obtained the permits necessary to get to the site, Garriott said.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394779-12220639-image-a-30_1687392732362.jpg

Richard Garriott, president of the Explorers Club, on Wednesday accused the US government of holding up efforts to get equipment to the rescue site

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394785-12220639-image-a-31_1687392794859.jpg

A Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) operated by Magellan is pictured in action

He wrote on Wednesday afternoon to Vice Admiral William Galanis, commander of Naval Sea Systems Command; U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John W. Mauger, who is leading the recovery mission; Congressman Lloyd Doggett; and Representative Eric Swalwell, urging them to allow Magellan to the site.

'Magellan has received mixed signals, first hearing from US Gov to get ready, waiting for plans - then getting told to stand down,' wrote Garriott.

The U.S. Coast Guard has not responded to DailyMail.com's request for comment.

Garriott told National Geographic that, even with only 24 hours of air left, it was vital to continue fighting to find the missing sub.

'Whatever the right thing is to do, we should still do it, even if it's now at the cusp of fatality,' he said.

The Magellan Argus-class ROVs are capable of deploying to 6,000 meters (19,700 feet) and are outfitted with external arms that can retrieve and raise Titan.

They could be delivered to the site within 16 hours.

Instead of Magellan's ROVs, the U.S. Navy has sent its Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System, which was used to retrieve an F-35 from 12,400 feet of water in March.

But Garriott said that there are fears the Navy's equipment will crush the capsule.

'The concern is that the big scooper will crush the hull, because it would be almost impossible to get down under it in the mud without applying pressure to the hull itself,' said Garriott.

'Instead, a 6,000-meter working-class ROV has the ability to attach directly to the point on the top of the sub.

'It's a traditional method and people like Magellan have done it over and over again. It's the way it's designed to happen.'

Garriott's concerns about the bureaucratic hurdles echo those aired on Monday by OceanGate advisor David Concannon.

'We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now,' he said.

'This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

'When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get 'out of office' replies - not from everyone, but from key people that have a sign-off on this.'

He told NewsNation: 'That's unacceptable.'

Continued
View Quote
Lord British should stay in his lane
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What’s the issue? It’s got a 4.7 product rating.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What’s the issue? It’s got a 4.7 product rating.

Is that this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B0041RR0TW/R321DCURDP6P9V?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dprv_MSFV45G0FR3V6YMZG9W0

RUINED my business

I used this controller to control my submarine and it RUINED my business when we lost an entire crew because the receiver lost connection. I am now being sued by the families and have been financially ruined. I would not suggest anyone buy this item.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
53 year old white guy in on 53

Weve been off 54 over 3 hours.

So, possibly as long as this original dive lasted before they died.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have no HAM licenses. Look at my screen name and avatar. What do you think I’ve done for the last 40 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please enlighten us.

I’d like ham on my sub, to eat while listening to a stereo with an awesome subwoofer.

Also, thanks for your insight & explanations. I always look for your posts in these discussions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LF/VLF though the freq escapes me. I was an east coast sailor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a multitude of Switches like that, i new exactly what you mean. They are use for industrial applications, especially in food and pharma industry.

But they might have used these : https://newwiremarine.com/push-button-switches/bluewater-switches/bluewater-22mm-stainless-combos/
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Please enlighten us.
View Quote

For a submersible like that to communicate with the surface over long distances you're looking at acoustic waves, not radio or light. There are commercial systems which can do it. I think that might have been what the "texting" mechanism was that they were using with the surface.

Not enough failsafes here. There should have been some sort of acoustic beacon on a timer strapped to the outside of the damn sub, set to start beeping after 8 hours on a periodic schedule to conserve power.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top