Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would you even see a flash?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bob Ballard described what a sub implosion at great depth would be like. He said the incredibly fast and violent compression of the air inside the vessel would basically cause everything to ignite like diesel fuel in a Diesel engine. Then immediately be extinguished by the water

You ARE the flash.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go woke, go to the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You ARE the flash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bob Ballard described what a sub implosion at great depth would be like. He said the incredibly fast and violent compression of the air inside the vessel would basically cause everything to ignite like diesel fuel in a Diesel engine. Then immediately be extinguished by the water

You ARE the flash.
The cotton.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They need to manage excess CO2, from exhalation, not CO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CO binds with hemoglobin 200 times faster than Oxygen does. You can have 21% oxygen, but if the CO is high, you will still have CO poisonong and probably take a chamber ride to clear your system.
Not a sub rescue guy, just a retired HazMat Tech/Paramedic.

They need to manage excess CO2, from exhalation, not CO.

You are correct. Tired and missread the post...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are a multitude of Switches like that, i new exactly what you mean. They are use for industrial applications, especially in food and pharma industry.

But they might have used these : https://newwiremarine.com/push-button-switches/bluewater-switches/bluewater-22mm-stainless-combos/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are knock offs of the original that is a very good switch. I forget the brand of the good ones, been a while since I used them, but they are very nice switches. That said, no idea what they used here.

There are a multitude of Switches like that, i new exactly what you mean. They are use for industrial applications, especially in food and pharma industry.

But they might have used these : https://newwiremarine.com/push-button-switches/bluewater-switches/bluewater-22mm-stainless-combos/
I am mistaken then. It could be that switch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point I assume they’re dead but I hope they find the damned thing eventually, or at least it’s wreckage.

I have to know what happened.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go woke, go to the bottom.
View Quote

Go woke, get soaked.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s actually ELF (extremely low frequencies).  The sub raises a cable on a buoy to around 30 meters for comms.
I guess no Netflix on the boomers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read that. The USN used VLF on subs for sometime.

But where is the antenna? I was under the impression modern subs are sending up a antenna to communicate, but I don’t know for sure
Any amount of water is incredibly hard on radio waves
Add salt to the mix and it just gets worse

But I won’t claim to be an expert on the subject

It’s actually ELF (extremely low frequencies).  The sub raises a cable on a buoy to around 30 meters for comms.
I guess no Netflix on the boomers.

The theoretical baud is a tad slow for VLF.  5-15, IIRC?  Also IIRC, we decom'd the ELF transmitter in Wisconsin, but kept the VLF one in Washington?  Plus, it requires a mile-ish long antenna to receive, but you're already streaming a towed array, so no worry there.

The profile of the TACAMO planes, that supplements/replaced the VLF transmitter, sounded like something from Acme...  Take an airplane, fly really high, and play Crack-The-Whip with a 6 mile long wire...

Clearing the airspace around that can't be fun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did Vossler fix the comms problem ?
View Quote

I never liked Hunter. I'm on team Ramsey.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm sure even as he's suffocating his final thought will be "fuck those white guys"

They're always stubborn to the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its been answered several times, your question even has the answer in it: Thats 50 year old white guy thinking. Ocean Gate knows that their strength comes not from their engineering, nor their rhino liner coated, carbon fiber hulls, but from their inspirational diversity, a strength even the deepest depths can never overcome.

I'm sure even as he's suffocating his final thought will be "fuck those white guys"

They're always stubborn to the end.

Even though its kind of the opposite of what you said, this post made me realize this whole thing would make an absolutely perfect stick in the bicycle spokes meme.

Fuck you 50 year old white guys!!
50 year old white guys plz save me!!!

with like the CEO's goofy face shopped on. I''d almost bet on someone already having done it b/c its so fitting
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At this point I assume they’re dead but I hope they find the damned thing eventually, or at least it’s wreckage.

View Quote

I don't think they'll locate it for years, if ever. Most likely chance of finding it, is if it sank straight down and is in the Titanic area. If it got caught in a current and drifted miles out, I doubt it will ever be found. The thing is not big at all.

Someone else pointed out the flight that crashed, and left a long ass debris field, with pieces bigger than this, and even that wreck took a while to find.

Someday, it will be found, but that day is not likely to be today, or tomorrow. And highly unlikely in time to save them, if they even are alive, which I highly doubt. The thing is so shoddy, I don't even trust the 96 hours of air claim.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are knock offs of the original that is a very good switch. I forget the brand of the good ones, been a while since I used them, but they are very nice switches. That said, no idea what they used here.

The most common are E-Switch. TE and others make them too, but these are the most prevalent.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

CG just received a ping back it was: 127.0.0.1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update on pings and progress?

thanks

Savage.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

As stated earlier in this thread, titanium domes may be found and a bit of wiring and a debris field. Human bodies or remains of them is highly doubtful that any will be found.
That craft imploded on Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Explorers Club president says life-saving deep sea surveillance drones for Titanic sub search are being caught up in red tape by the Coast Guard and GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw demands answers

Richard Garriott, president of the New York-based Explorers Club, on Wednesday said vital rescue equipment was being held up by US bureaucracy

The president of the New York-based Explorers Club has accused the U.S. government of delaying the delivery of vital equipment for the search for the missing Titanic tourist sub.

Richard Garriott told National Geographic that he had complained to top officials about the bureaucracy hampering the race against the clock.

Two of the five on board - British billionaire Hamish Harding and French Titanic expert PH Nargeolet - are members of the Explorers Club.

Other members have worked to enable deep sea company Magellan, based in Guernsey in the British Isles, to ship its surveillance equipment to the site: Magellan has Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) which last year surveyed the Titanic site.

Yet Magellan has not obtained the permits necessary to get to the site, Garriott said.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394779-12220639-image-a-30_1687392732362.jpg

Richard Garriott, president of the Explorers Club, on Wednesday accused the US government of holding up efforts to get equipment to the rescue site

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394785-12220639-image-a-31_1687392794859.jpg

A Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) operated by Magellan is pictured in action

He wrote on Wednesday afternoon to Vice Admiral William Galanis, commander of Naval Sea Systems Command; U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John W. Mauger, who is leading the recovery mission; Congressman Lloyd Doggett; and Representative Eric Swalwell, urging them to allow Magellan to the site.

'Magellan has received mixed signals, first hearing from US Gov to get ready, waiting for plans - then getting told to stand down,' wrote Garriott.

The U.S. Coast Guard has not responded to DailyMail.com's request for comment.

Garriott told National Geographic that, even with only 24 hours of air left, it was vital to continue fighting to find the missing sub.

'Whatever the right thing is to do, we should still do it, even if it's now at the cusp of fatality,' he said.

The Magellan Argus-class ROVs are capable of deploying to 6,000 meters (19,700 feet) and are outfitted with external arms that can retrieve and raise Titan.

They could be delivered to the site within 16 hours.

Instead of Magellan's ROVs, the U.S. Navy has sent its Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System, which was used to retrieve an F-35 from 12,400 feet of water in March.

But Garriott said that there are fears the Navy's equipment will crush the capsule.

'The concern is that the big scooper will crush the hull, because it would be almost impossible to get down under it in the mud without applying pressure to the hull itself,' said Garriott.

'Instead, a 6,000-meter working-class ROV has the ability to attach directly to the point on the top of the sub.

'It's a traditional method and people like Magellan have done it over and over again. It's the way it's designed to happen.'

Garriott's concerns about the bureaucratic hurdles echo those aired on Monday by OceanGate advisor David Concannon.

'We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now,' he said.

'This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

'When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get 'out of office' replies - not from everyone, but from key people that have a sign-off on this.'

He told NewsNation: 'That's unacceptable.'

Continued
View Quote

Pay up mo fo's.

For a bunch of richie rich's, they sure expect a lot of taxpayer funded stuff to the tune of millions of dollars.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For a submersible like that to communicate with the surface over long distances you're looking at acoustic waves, not radio or light. There are commercial systems which can do it. I think that might have been what the "texting" mechanism was that they were using with the surface.

Not enough failsafes here. There should have been some sort of acoustic beacon on a timer strapped to the outside of the damn sub, set to start beeping after 8 hours on a periodic schedule to conserve power.
View Quote

That would make the most sense, since sound wave travel very nicely under sea water.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At this point I assume they're dead but I hope they find the damned thing eventually, or at least it's wreckage.

View Quote
I feel they are lost to.  I want to know what happened so i guess this is now a safe thread.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't think they'll locate it for years, if ever. Most likely chance of finding it, is if it sank straight down and is in the Titanic area. If it got caught in a current and drifted miles out, I doubt it will ever be found. The thing is not big at all.

Someone else pointed out the flight that crashed, and left a long ass debris field, with pieces bigger than this, and even that wreck took a while to find.

Someday, it will be found, but that day is not likely to be today, or tomorrow. And highly unlikely in time to save them, if they even are alive, which I highly doubt. The thing is so shoddy, I don't even trust the 96 hours of air claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point I assume they're dead but I hope they find the damned thing eventually, or at least it's wreckage.

Imploded carbon fiber would be a mess. Strips and or sheets? The remains?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If only one was alive that person could last a couple weeks.
View Quote

Wrong.

The CO2 would still be fatal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or power for the CO2 scrubbers
View Quote

What CO2 scrubbers?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only one was alive that person could last a couple weeks.

Wrong.

They could probably make the o2 last longer if they would exhale into plastic bags
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For a submersible like that to communicate with the surface over long distances you're looking at acoustic waves, not radio or light. There are commercial systems which can do it. I think that might have been what the "texting" mechanism was that they were using with the surface.

Not enough failsafes here. There should have been some sort of acoustic beacon on a timer strapped to the outside of the damn sub, set to start beeping after 8 hours on a periodic schedule to conserve power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I beg your pardon for the misinformation. I do have 2 Ham licenses.  The licensing study books had very little on Sub comms.
Please enlighten us.

I posted a video earlier where a guy went down on a Triton sub to Challenger Deep which is 3X the depth of Titanic and had full voice comms with the mothership the entire way down including hitting bottom which is at over 35k feet down.

If I understand this right the texting function was done over sonar and they lost communication pretty often in previous trips which likely contributed to waiting hours before alerting the CG. Their protocol on the sub was to start dumping ballast at an hour with no communication. In that video of the Mexican guy who went down they partially dumped ballast after an hour of no comms, they regained comms, and despite declaring an abort mission they kept diving when they regained comms. IMO when an abort is called thats the end of the mission and you switch to recovery mode to get back up. Aborts should be a learning opportunity and to make changes to fix problems. It seems to me in previous dives where they encountered problems they treated it as a nuisance rather than an opportunity to improve and correct deficiencies.

On this dive the CEO was on board. We may never know but if I had to guess I'd say they had a problem and the dude kept pushing because they were 3/4ths of the way down. He was full of chuckles about that waiver.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CF breaks into shards, like glass. The only identifiable remains would probably be the two bulkheads.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have no HAM licenses. Look at my screen name and avatar. What do you think I’ve done for the last 40 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick to HVAC. ELF has long been decommissioned. VLF is still in use.

I beg your pardon for the misinformation. I do have 2 Ham licenses.  The licensing study books had very little on Sub comms.
Please enlighten us.

I have no HAM licenses. Look at my screen name and avatar. What do you think I’ve done for the last 40 years?

Not get hired by Ocean Gate would be my guess.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That would make the most sense, since sound wave travel very nicely under sea water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sonar transmitters require more power at longer ranges. This thing is operating on two lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remains of people? Ain't gonna happen. Sea creatures gotta eat also.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#28]
If they're still alive, I bet that thing smells really really shitty by now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Savage.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Savage.....

Sonar dudes—- what does this mean?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been ignoring this until today, looked up the sub,Holy crap that thing is Tiny,5 grown adults in a tuna can. Id kill the others to conserve oxygen, or better yet open the hatch and welcome death instead of prolonging the agony
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please enlighten us.

I’m in the 50 year old white guy club. I’m not inspirational enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please enlighten us.

Well duh. They don't want qualified people.

subcomunic8r, are you white and in your 50's?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
His turned red and green. I've only seen that in the Amazon flavor. In the video it looked like it flipped the relay for one bus .
View Quote

Not surprised. Bulgin was the brand I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Savage.....

Ask the network dudes, not the sonar dudes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been ignoring this until today, looked up the sub,Holy crap that thing is Tiny,5 grown adults in a tuna can. Id kill the others to conserve oxygen, or better yet open the hatch and welcome death instead of prolonging the agony
View Quote
You can't open the hatch.  The hatch is bolted shut from the outside...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jokes on you, the hatch can only be opened from the outside.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Savage.....

Nothing to do with sonar. Default home IP of the local computer.

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/127-0-0-1-localhost#:~:text=The%20term%20is%20a%20pseudo,used%20by%20the%20end%2Duser.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This..
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but do you have 2 ham licenses?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you can off yourself with a wireless videogame controller, you're stuck there till something else happens.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sonar dudes - what does this mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Savage.....

Sonar dudes - what does this mean?
It's an IT joke... nothing to do with sonar...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Explorers Club president says life-saving deep sea surveillance drones for Titanic sub search are being caught up in red tape by the Coast Guard and GOP Rep. Dan Crenshaw demands answers

Richard Garriott, president of the New York-based Explorers Club, on Wednesday said vital rescue equipment was being held up by US bureaucracy

The president of the New York-based Explorers Club has accused the U.S. government of delaying the delivery of vital equipment for the search for the missing Titanic tourist sub.

Richard Garriott told National Geographic that he had complained to top officials about the bureaucracy hampering the race against the clock.

Two of the five on board - British billionaire Hamish Harding and French Titanic expert PH Nargeolet - are members of the Explorers Club.

Other members have worked to enable deep sea company Magellan, based in Guernsey in the British Isles, to ship its surveillance equipment to the site: Magellan has Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) which last year surveyed the Titanic site.

Yet Magellan has not obtained the permits necessary to get to the site, Garriott said.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394779-12220639-image-a-30_1687392732362.jpg

Richard Garriott, president of the Explorers Club, on Wednesday accused the US government of holding up efforts to get equipment to the rescue site

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/22/01/72394785-12220639-image-a-31_1687392794859.jpg

A Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) operated by Magellan is pictured in action

He wrote on Wednesday afternoon to Vice Admiral William Galanis, commander of Naval Sea Systems Command; U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John W. Mauger, who is leading the recovery mission; Congressman Lloyd Doggett; and Representative Eric Swalwell, urging them to allow Magellan to the site.

'Magellan has received mixed signals, first hearing from US Gov to get ready, waiting for plans - then getting told to stand down,' wrote Garriott.

The U.S. Coast Guard has not responded to DailyMail.com's request for comment.

Garriott told National Geographic that, even with only 24 hours of air left, it was vital to continue fighting to find the missing sub.

'Whatever the right thing is to do, we should still do it, even if it's now at the cusp of fatality,' he said.

The Magellan Argus-class ROVs are capable of deploying to 6,000 meters (19,700 feet) and are outfitted with external arms that can retrieve and raise Titan.

They could be delivered to the site within 16 hours.

Instead of Magellan's ROVs, the U.S. Navy has sent its Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System, which was used to retrieve an F-35 from 12,400 feet of water in March.

But Garriott said that there are fears the Navy's equipment will crush the capsule.

'The concern is that the big scooper will crush the hull, because it would be almost impossible to get down under it in the mud without applying pressure to the hull itself,' said Garriott.

'Instead, a 6,000-meter working-class ROV has the ability to attach directly to the point on the top of the sub.

'It's a traditional method and people like Magellan have done it over and over again. It's the way it's designed to happen.'

Garriott's concerns about the bureaucratic hurdles echo those aired on Monday by OceanGate advisor David Concannon.

'We need to move. We do not have minutes or hours. We need to move now,' he said.

'This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

'When I communicate with the U.S. government, I get 'out of office' replies - not from everyone, but from key people that have a sign-off on this.'

He told NewsNation: 'That's unacceptable.'

Continued
View Quote
This is sickening, if that's the case.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I posted a video earlier where a guy went down on a Triton sub to Challenger Deep which is 3X the depth of Titanic and had full voice comms with the mothership the entire way down including hitting bottom which is at over 35k feet down.

If I understand this right the texting function was done over sonar and they have lost communication pretty often in previous trips which likely contributed to waiting hours before alerting the CG. Their protocol on the sub was to start dumping ballast at an hour with no communication. In that video of the Mexican guy who went down they partially dumped ballast after an hour of no comms, they regained comms, and despite declaring an abort mission they kept diving when they regained comms. IMO when an abort is called thats the end of the mission and you switch to recovery mode to get back up. Aborts should be a learning opportunity and to make changes to fix problems. It seems to me in previous dives where they encountered problems they treated it as a nuisance rather than an opportunity to improve and correct deficiencies.

On this dive the CEO was on board. We may never know but if I had to guess I'd say they had a problem and the dude kept pushing because they were 3/4ths of the way down. He was full of chuckles about that waiver.
View Quote

This might already be known (not sure what video you posted), but if not.  This lost submersible was named "Titan" by the idiots that built it.  Has no connection to the company "Triton Submersibles" in FL.  Those guys build legit subs, including DSV Limiting Factor that has the current record dive.

The Making of the Deep Submergence Vehicle (DSV) Limiting Factor - A Documentary by Nick Verola
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can’t even open the hatch from inside. That shitcan is bolted shut from the outside.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#45]
If they haven't found them by now I'm afraid they're dead or will be shortly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Walking the Titanic in 4K | ULTRA REALISTIC DEMO in UNREAL ENGINE 5 RTX 4090
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#47]
This is one of the top 20 ARFCOM threads of all time!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

aprox ~12 hours

At 8-9am eastern Thursday, it's lights out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The cotton.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ARE the flash.
The cotton.

In a fire piston... "fire syringe" on youboob
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top