Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"The optical fiber tether has the approximate diameter of a human hair, and can bear only 4 kilograms (8.8 lb)."

-Not exactly 1/2" Kevlar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROV’s have gone to Challenger Deep with an umbilical.

"The optical fiber tether has the approximate diameter of a human hair, and can bear only 4 kilograms (8.8 lb)."

If it works for the space program, it should work on earth:

The Umbilicus was a 370-mile-long cable that kept the SOL tethered to Earth. The Umbillicus could be used to send objects from Deep 13 to the SOL and back, and seemed somewhat important for keeping the SOL in orbit (as well as keeping some of its functions on in a way). A similar device is used during later programs, and the Simulator of Love also has an Umbilicus.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why the hell would the thing not have been tethered to the mothership?

Something goes bad, just winch it back on up.
View Quote
how thick do you think the line would need to be to lift that thing?
How heavy do you think 7 miles of cable are?
How much weight do you imagine is on the cable up at the surface?
How many Harbor Freight winches would that dumbfuck CEO have had to buy to lift that much weight?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now its about finding the submersible.  Be it in scattered fragments and sections, or resting somehow on the bottom.
If its intact, do any of the families demand it be raised to recover the bodies?
And how long does it take to locate?  Its a pretty small target
Maybe it never gets found because its small
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well its been fun following this thread.

Honestly its been educational.

However it seems that its come to an end, unless the finger of God happens to intervene between now and tomorrow morning.

I'll pray that He does and hope that it's His will.

Now its about finding the submersible.  Be it in scattered fragments and sections, or resting somehow on the bottom.
If its intact, do any of the families demand it be raised to recover the bodies?
And how long does it take to locate?  Its a pretty small target
Maybe it never gets found because its small

The plus side is that they’re in a heavy detail mapped part of the ocean. Wouldn’t be impossible to overlay, and find anomalies.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, I'd like to retract my theory of external snags ripping cabling out; it appears all the photos going around are the early preproduction versions where they were testing things at shallow depths; the company posted this a few days ago; you can see how they've put a fairing over everything now.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's not that. His was a push switch and very bright red and green. I'm still banking on Amazon switch as that is the only I have seen with both those colors that obnoxiously bright.  

@serrada
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are knock offs of the original that is a very good switch. I forget the brand of the good ones, been a while since I used them, but they are very nice switches. That said, no idea what they used here.

There are a multitude of Switches like that, i new exactly what you mean. They are use for industrial applications, especially in food and pharma industry.

But they might have used these : https://newwiremarine.com/push-button-switches/bluewater-switches/bluewater-22mm-stainless-combos/
I am mistaken then. It could be that switch.
The most common are E-Switch. TE and others make them too, but these are the most prevalent.
It's not that. His was a push switch and very bright red and green. I'm still banking on Amazon switch as that is the only I have seen with both those colors that obnoxiously bright.  

@serrada

@Sailboat

They do make those. Digikey link

I also believe you may be right considering what else was used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROV’s have gone to Challenger Deep with an umbilical.

No, that’s the new one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure how much experience you have at sea, but doing something that sounds so easy in 10ft seas becomes almost impossible.  Even if it had grab handles for a diver to hold on to, which is nothing of the sort for a diver to do that while operating a hand tool in a rough ocean.  I'm doubtful any CG commander would allow one of his swimmers to take that risk.
View Quote

not to mention, I bet once you cracked the hatch, you'd flood the interior and send it to the bottom, LONG before you get it open enough for the folks to get out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Umbilicus was a 370-mile-long cable that kept the SOL tethered to Earth. The Umbillicus could be used to send objects from Deep 13 to the SOL and back, and seemed somewhat important for keeping the SOL in orbit (as well as keeping some of its functions on in a way). A similar device is used during later programs, and the Simulator of Love also has an Umbilicus.
View Quote

So, are they in for:

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you really trying to win a dick measuring contest by saying your dildo does everything automatically?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@subcomunic8r  In 1991 the FCC removed the Morse Code requirement testing for the Tech license.  The newer radios can call CW for you, when the message is inputted, and can interpret the replies back out.

Are you really trying to win a dick measuring contest by saying your dildo does everything automatically?

@Mike327
Yes he/she/it is and it's fun to watch so don't ruin it. I mean 2 ham licenses........ 2, and almost a 3rd!

@AC_Doctor @subcomunic8r carry on please!

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
So when do you think they'll stop referring to it as a rescue operation, and a recovery effort instead. Once the bullshit 96 hours of air claim window expires?

I don't think they'll change how they refer to this, until that window hits.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They can't..... At least not anyway near the time frame.. Humans are terrifying... Any chance most likely expired the second they choose NOT to have a actual rescue plan in place to begin with.... the rescue ship would have needed to be on-site with all the needed capabilities for them to have a chance in hell.... What you see now is a show for the Lemmings... Nothing more... RIP hope it was quick.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
if they by some miracle find it how do they bring it up?

Rope/cable.
They can't..... At least not anyway near the time frame.. Humans are terrifying... Any chance most likely expired the second they choose NOT to have a actual rescue plan in place to begin with.... the rescue ship would have needed to be on-site with all the needed capabilities for them to have a chance in hell.... What you see now is a show for the Lemmings... Nothing more... RIP hope it was quick.....

there are certain situation where there is no 'rescue' think most (all?) space launches, once the ship reaches orbit. if something is broke there is no rescue. like the one where the tiles broke off on take off and the ship burned up on re-entry. in cases like that you must engineer and test like hell. thats the best you can do. in this case there was no backup and not enough engineering. the alternative apparently was ... 'too expensive' (my guess).
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Same call, same FCC ID, same license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably means he has a Technician and higher level General license. You take the exams in order, but I have never heard anyone referring to one of the higher levels as having multiple licenses. You are just licensed at a higher level.
Same call, same FCC ID, same license.

I also hold an FCC itinerant license for UHF and VHF commercial bands.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Mike327
Yes he/she/it is and it's fun to watch so don't ruin it. I mean 2 ham licenses........ 2, and almost a 3rd!

View Quote

You know you took like 15 minutes to post that? You quoted me ~11 minutes after I changed my mind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Sonar expert says underwater 'banging' heard by Coast Guard at submarine search site is just 'debris falling from the decaying wreck' - and proof of life of Titan Five is 'wishful thinking'

A sonar expert claims the 'banging' heard by search and rescue vessels at the search site for the missing Titanic tourist sub is likely to be 'debris' and 'junk' from the iconic wreck.

Jeff Karson, Professor Emeritus of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Syracuse University, told DailyMail.com the sounds heard are likely to be 'wishful thinking' by the Coast Guard.

The US Navy detected the noises  Wednesday morning after a Canadian P3 search aircraft had detected sounds coming from underwater Tuesday night.

It has been a glimmer of hope for the multinational effort to find the Titan, which vanished after launching on Sunday with five men on board.

But Karson said he won't be 'shocked if that, wherever that sound is, that there's no submarine there.'

Speaking to DailyMail.com he said: 'One possibility is that the sounds bouncing around the debris. And so it's a more complicated echo.

'It's just not bouncing off of one thing. It's bouncing off a bunch of things. And it's like, you know, dropping up a marble into a tin can. It's rattling around and that would confuse the location.

'The banging, I hear the Coast Guard talk about it. I wonder how much of this is just wishful thinking?

'Is it really banging or just some unidentified sound? I think that is a more accurate description right now.

'In past investigations, looking for loss objects on the seafloor, I know that all sorts of crazy sound was discovered. It's just one more thing we don't understand about the ocean, our own planet.

'There's no telling where the sound is coming from or how far away it is. Personally, I'm worried that sound may be coming from something that's far from the where they need to be looking.

'But they have to follow up on it. It's the best lead right now. Everything is being done. It's all hands on deck, international vessels, everybody is doing the best they possibly can.'

VIDEO
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Their deaths, while tragic, will not be without value.

It's another reminder to humanity of the very real risks associated with going to places inhospitable to life.

Who knows the number of people that will now reconsider plans that, if carried out, would have resulted in their demise.

Life is perilous and fragile and we are all better off for the reminder.

View Quote

It’s the pure, unadulterated Irony, which makes this story so compelling.  

Titanic is renowned and revered, as the ultimate monument Man’s hubris.    

Then, along comes This clown, and says “Hold by Beer…,You like Hubris?    Well, here’s some MOAR, along with a side of Arrogance, Greed and Complacency!”
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You know you took like 15 minutes to post that? You quoted me ~11 minutes after I changed my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Mike327

@Mike327

And that's why I don't have any licenses......
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@Mike327

View Quote

I believe in you
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Think about when Elon starts the Mars expeditions. Something like this happening is within the realm of possibilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their deaths, while tragic, will not be without value.

It's another reminder to humanity of the very real risks associated with going to places inhospitable to life.

Who knows the number of people that will now reconsider plans that, if carried out, would have resulted in their demise.

Life is perilous and fragile and we are all better off for the reminder.

Think about when Elon starts the Mars expeditions. Something like this happening is within the realm of possibilities.

Possible yes but drawing a moral comparison between the two is totally off base.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Repeat to yourself "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
As an engineer, I want to know what happened.  

If I were betting man I would say this:

1.  The sub developed a leak.
2.  The leak was at the penetrations for cabling, not anywhere near the front glass area or front hatch.
3.  The sub sank due to the leak and the folks are very dead.  

a.  I bet the CF hull and titanium endcaps are well engineered
b.  The pressure vessel nature of the item will cause the whole thing to self seal just about.  
c.  I have no concerns about the front hatch.  It's a flat metal sealing surface under intense pressure.  The oring present is almost undoubtedly only to allow for low-depth operations.
d.  I don't believe the front window would crack before it imploded.  I think you would get a "fuck you die" event not a gentle failure.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I believe in you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Mike327

I believe in you

You shouldn't.
First your try and show your dick to a SME and then you believe in me.......

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He has said we should expect it. He said the first trips to Mars will likely be one way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has said we should expect it. He said the first trips to Mars will likely be one way.

They will be and thats in no way comparable to selling $250k tickets to Titanic.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
There's a chance someone could be alive for 20 days on the sub.  If one person killed the other four, then they have 20 days of air.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You shouldn't.

View Quote

Mistaken identity, there. I'm not AC_Doctor!

Edit: This really is why you don't have any licenses, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's the pure, unadulterated Irony, which makes this story so compelling.  

Titanic is renowned and revered, as the ultimate monument Man's hubris.    

Then, along comes This clown, and says "Hold by Beer ,You like Hubris?    Well, here's some MOAR, along with a side of Arrogance, Greed and Complacency!"
View Quote
I think there was no small amount of that surrounding "Titanic" either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What do they broadcast out of Jim Creek?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read that. The USN used VLF on subs for sometime.

But where is the antenna? I was under the impression modern subs are sending up a antenna to communicate, but I don’t know for sure
Any amount of water is incredibly hard on radio waves
Add salt to the mix and it just gets worse

But I won’t claim to be an expert on the subject

It’s actually ELF (extremely low frequencies).  The sub raises a cable on a buoy to around 30 meters for comms.
I guess no Netflix on the boomers.

Stick to HVAC. ELF has long been decommissioned. VLF is still in use.

What do they broadcast out of Jim Creek?

VLF
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Over the years, 22 scuba divers have perished diving on the Andrea Doria wreck. I have no doubt the the Titanic will continue to claim lives.
View Quote

Yeah, but they’re looking for the Chrysler Norseman , so that’s different….
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a chance someone could be alive for 16 days on the sub.  If one person killed the other four, then they have 16 days of air.
View Quote
I think the temperatures will do them in long before food, water, or air depletion hits - if the tin can is even in one piece.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It’s the pure, unadulterated Irony, which makes this story so compelling.  

Titanic is renowned and revered, as the ultimate monument Man’s hubris.    

Then, along comes This clown, and says “Hold by Beer…,You like Hubris?    Well, here’s some MOAR, along with a side of Arrogance, Greed and Complacency!”
View Quote

my grandparents were born in the late 1890s, early 1900s. never forget my grandmother talking about the titanic which was a big story it its day. it was 'unsinkable'. they way she put it, it was sorta an affront to god. and their pride in the 'unsinkable'  titanic didnt even complete its first voyage. basically a deeply religious and somewhat superstitious generation it was, at least in the south where they grew up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't.

@Mike327
Oh fuck, I'm pissing myself laughing
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Go woke, get soaked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go woke, go to the bottom.

Go woke, get soaked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Mike327

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Mike327

@Mike327

And I’ll never bitch or reprimand any non-licensed Baofeng hand held radio owners, lol!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read that. The USN used VLF on subs for sometime.

But where is the antenna? I was under the impression modern subs are sending up a antenna to communicate, but I don’t know for sure
Any amount of water is incredibly hard on radio waves
Add salt to the mix and it just gets worse

But I won’t claim to be an expert on the subject

It’s actually ELF (extremely low frequencies).  The sub raises a cable on a buoy to around 30 meters for comms.
I guess no Netflix on the boomers.

Yep.

The US decommissioned their ELF stuff in 2004
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Remind me of that deal a few years ago with the sports team in the cave in Thailand. I doubt this one is going to end up as positive though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Sailboat

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are knock offs of the original that is a very good switch. I forget the brand of the good ones, been a while since I used them, but they are very nice switches. That said, no idea what they used here.

There are a multitude of Switches like that, i new exactly what you mean. They are use for industrial applications, especially in food and pharma industry.

But they might have used these : https://newwiremarine.com/push-button-switches/bluewater-switches/bluewater-22mm-stainless-combos/
I am mistaken then. It could be that switch.
The most common are E-Switch. TE and others make them too, but these are the most prevalent.

@serrada

@Sailboat

@serrada

i know it may sound adhd ish but for some reason these stupid switches have drawn me into this thread. I had a huge issue with them, with how bright they were and longevity on a small lake boat. What stood out to me was the red/green design, the physical pushing of a button (mechanical) and how bright they were. Now you and another member have cost me close to $100 dollars as I liked the concept and yall provided me a legitimate alternative ..
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Too soon
View All Quotes

Fuck no it's not.

I've been doing nothing but scouring for memes laughing about these dead billionaires the last couple days.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sonar expert says underwater 'banging' heard by Coast Guard at submarine search site is just 'debris falling from the decaying wreck' - and proof of life of Titan Five is 'wishful thinking'

A sonar expert claims the 'banging' heard by search and rescue vessels at the search site for the missing Titanic tourist sub is likely to be 'debris' and 'junk' from the iconic wreck.

Jeff Karson, Professor Emeritus of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Syracuse University, told DailyMail.com the sounds heard are likely to be 'wishful thinking' by the Coast Guard.

The US Navy detected the noises  Wednesday morning after a Canadian P3 search aircraft had detected sounds coming from underwater Tuesday night.

It has been a glimmer of hope for the multinational effort to find the Titan, which vanished after launching on Sunday with five men on board.

But Karson said he won't be 'shocked if that, wherever that sound is, that there's no submarine there.'

Speaking to DailyMail.com he said: 'One possibility is that the sounds bouncing around the debris. And so it's a more complicated echo.

'It's just not bouncing off of one thing. It's bouncing off a bunch of things. And it's like, you know, dropping up a marble into a tin can. It's rattling around and that would confuse the location.

'The banging, I hear the Coast Guard talk about it. I wonder how much of this is just wishful thinking?

'Is it really banging or just some unidentified sound? I think that is a more accurate description right now.

'In past investigations, looking for loss objects on the seafloor, I know that all sorts of crazy sound was discovered. It's just one more thing we don't understand about the ocean, our own planet.

'There's no telling where the sound is coming from or how far away it is. Personally, I'm worried that sound may be coming from something that's far from the where they need to be looking.

'But they have to follow up on it. It's the best lead right now. Everything is being done. It's all hands on deck, international vessels, everybody is doing the best they possibly can.'

VIDEO
View Quote

Good post.

I went Googling earlier today trying to find out how/if noisy the wreck of the Titanic is. Of course, Google sucks and everything came back with current news.

There was one article that had a paragraph from someone who said the wreck is actually very noisy.

I’m embarrassed that I lacked the common sense during discussions with people yesterday and today to say “noise? Well there is a big ass metal decaying ship down there!”  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:.... I do have 2 Ham licenses. ...
View Quote

That and $10 will get you a cuppa at scooters

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That ceo sounds like a real winner.
View Quote

Sounds like the Elizabeth Holmes of Submarines.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep.

The US decommissioned their ELF stuff in 2004
View Quote

My meat pole…

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#47]
How long before someone makes a fishing lure that looks like the sub?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And I’ll never bitch or reprimand any non-licensed Baofeng hand held radio owners, lol!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm revoking your ham license, effective immediately, for heresy and high crimes against the spectrum.

Quoted:

@Mike327
Oh fuck, I'm pissing myself laughing

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the hell would the thing not have been tethered to the mothership?

Something goes bad, just winch it back on up.

2.5 miles of chain is gonna take a bigger boat.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6h88S85/0/12b6f879/O/i-6h88S85.gif
I love that movie.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top