Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, but what I want to know is can the meglinating variable intensity multifunction power tool emplace half-seized sprats and brass-fitted nickel slits, with bracketed caps and splay-flexed brace column vent dampers to dampening hatch depths of one-half meter from the damper crown to the spurv plinth?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I also hold an FCC itinerant license for UHF and VHF commercial bands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably means he has a Technician and higher level General license. You take the exams in order, but I have never heard anyone referring to one of the higher levels as having multiple licenses. You are just licensed at a higher level.
Same call, same FCC ID, same license.

I also hold an FCC itinerant license for UHF and VHF commercial bands.
I'm just an Extra but passed (all three in one day) based on studying the answers and I have no idea what you are all talking about. I can't even get the Chinese radios to work. So basically your license number and class means morning unless you use it to its capability. There are hams with just the first level that know 1000x  more than me.

that being said, where is the boefang for dummy's thread? Please @ me as I would like to get back into it and learn. My mentor drank himself to death. RIP Frank the Tank.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So no, you never have sent or received Morse code?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@subcomunic8r  In 1991 the FCC removed the Morse Code requirement testing for the Tech license.  The newer radios can call CW for you, when the message is inputted, and can interpret the replies back out.

You're having a dick measuring contest on possibly the nerdiest thing humanly possible btw. Just for a little context
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now its about finding the submersible.  Be it in scattered fragments and sections, or resting somehow on the bottom.
If its intact, do any of the families demand it be raised to recover the bodies?
View Quote

I think that if it's found intact in the next few years, they'll try to recover it. If for no other reason than to learn what went wrong.

50 years from now? It'll be another underwater gravesite.

My bet is that it imploded though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Again, deep diving tethered ROV's are a thing.
View Quote
You should write all these small sub manufacturers a letter.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're having a dick measuring contest on possibly the nerdiest thing humanly possible btw. Just for a little context
View Quote
Bubbleheads are dorks. Occupational hazard.

If they aren't they end up mooshed in a crushed up tube next to the titanic.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He has said we should expect it. He said the first trips to Mars will likely be one way.
View Quote

He’s optimistic.

First trip will be half way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This might already be known (not sure what video you posted), but if not.  This lost submersible was named "Titan" by the idiots that built it.  Has no connection to the company "Triton Submersibles" in FL.  Those guys build legit subs, including DSV Limiting Factor that has the current record dive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5j9oeZCm0
View Quote

Thanks for posting that. Erogenous zones for engineers!

I didn't see them machine any penetration for cables or gas tubes (if needed) so don't understand the power, control systems, and breathing air systems distribution inside/outside the sphere. At the end of the video there are two hatch or bubble looking things on the outside that are not the entry hatch, and have cables and/or tubes going to them. No idea if those are for test only or diving.

Also have no idea how that foam looking stuff that provides flotation would not permanently compress. And how they stay in place during ascent. Maybe they have a super flexible polymer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stockton Rush, 61, founded OceanGate in 2009.

The Seattle-born, Princeton-educated aeronautical engineer worked on fighter jets and initially hoped to go to Mars before switching his attention to the sea.

[url]
View Quote

Would be ironic if he worked on (and fucked up) the F-22 oxygen system...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably means he has a Technician and higher level General license. You take the exams in order, but I have never heard anyone referring to one of the higher levels as having multiple licenses. You are just licensed at a higher level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you end up with 2?

I have held
Novice
Technician
General
Advanced
Extra.
I did not take the extra until after the code requirement was removed.
But I could send and receive 20 wpm at one time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a submarine nuke
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@subcomunic8r  In 1991 the FCC removed the Morse Code requirement testing for the Tech license.  The newer radios can call CW for you, when the message is inputted, and can interpret the replies back out.

Hey, you never know when it might come in handy:
Independence Day - Morse Code
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that. Erogenous zones for engineers!

I didn't see them machine any penetration for cables or gas tubes (if needed) so don't understand the power, control systems, and breathing air systems distribution inside/outside the sphere. At the end of the video there are two hatch or bubble looking things on the outside that are not the entry hatch, and have cables and/or tubes going to them. No idea if those are for test only or diving.

Also have no idea how that foam looking stuff that provides flotation would not permanently compress. And how they stay in place during ascent. Maybe they have a super flexible polymer.
View Quote

He covered it in one of the videos posted earlier.  That type of foam does not compress and costs 15K.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was a submarine nuke
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a submarine nuke

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mokerr
FWIW I don't think that @subcomunic8r was showing his dick, rather trying to swat away the dick being thrown in his face by @AC_Doctor.

Sometimes people feel the need to correct misinformation and or show that someone stating "XYZ" isn't or may not be correct given the circumstances based on their real life experience.  I have seen other examples in this thread of other topics but they were corrected by other posters.

It's good to have SMEs (not in any way claiming to be one) chime in on real world VS "I have a bunch of certificates" posters here.

I know a bunch of people that have impressive resumes but aren't worth 2 shits when it comes to the rubber meeting the road in real life.

YMMV

ETA:
NM, if the post by another member after mine is correct you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How many Harbor Freight winches would that dumbfuck CEO have had to buy to lift that much weight?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So the trapped survivors remains on the RMS Titanic are not there?  Will bones survive that pressure, 6500 psi?
View Quote

I think the difference is how the bodies reached the ocean floor at that depth.  With the sinking of the Titanic, the bodies gradually adjusted to the ever-increasing change in pressure.  I am sure the bodies, especially the softer tissue deformed and compressed some before the ocean life consumed them.  With the Titan, we are likely talking about a near-instantaneous event.  One millisecond the hull is intact and you are alive; the next, the hull implodes violently and you cease to exist.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#21]

That reminds me of Spaceballs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think the difference is how the bodies reached the ocean floor at that depth.  With the sinking of the Titanic, the bodies gradually adjusted to the ever-increasing change in pressure.  I am sure the bodies, especially the softer tissue deformed and compressed some before the ocean life consumed them.  With the Titan, we are likely talking about a near-instantaneous event.  One millisecond the hull is intact and you are alive; the next, the hull implodes violently and you cease to exist.
View Quote

Same in reverse. A person coming from depth back to the surface goes through a long decompression process. A person who shortcuts that process quickly ends up in pieces
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

seismic anomalies or bubbles escaping?

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sub-standard: Explorer shares how doomed Titan submersible's batteries suddenly drained during 2022 trip to Titanic - cutting short four-hour trip to just ONE

An actor who once traveled to the Titanic on the missing Titan sub shared how the vehicle's batteries suddenly drained during the expedition, forcing it to end early.

Alan Estrada shared chilling details of how the Titan's energy source quickly drained to 40 percent power during a July 2022 mission to see the ill-fated ocean liner.

That saw Mexican-born Estrada and his fellow submariners' time spent at the wreck slashed from four hours to one so they could return to the surface before the sub lost power.

Speaking on his YouTube video about the trip, he said: 'For safety reasons this is completely understandable when the last battery - the submersible has two batteries - when the second battery has only 40 percent left, it is necessary to return to the surface for safety.

'This means that the four hours that they tell you that you are going to be down there are not fulfilled

Estrada - best known for his YouTube channel - still managed to snap a stunning selfie of him standing in front of the Titan's porthole, with the Titanic's iconic bow visible in the depths.

The vlogger also told of how the Titan suffered a two hour communications blackout during his voyage.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/21/19/72381011-12219589-Mexican_actor_Alan_Estrada_told_DailyMail_com_that_the_Titan_sub-a-1_1687372865154.jpg

Mexican actor Alan Estrada told DailyMail.com that the Titan submarine lost communication for two hours during the July 3, 2022 voyage to the Titanic wreck at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean

He is one of multiple people who've spoken about communications issues that plagued the sub.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/06/21/17/72381017-12219589-image-a-2_1687365374568.jpg

Estrada also shot this incredible photo of the Titanic's famous bow.

Estrada paid $1250,000 for the trip - the going rate when he originally signed-up two years ago. The price had soared to $250,000 per passenger by the time of Titan's disappearance.

The YouTuber said he was aware of the risks the voyage entailed - but went anyway.

'Because it is an experimental submersible, many things can happen and we were aware that not only something could happen that could put your life at risk,' Estrada explained. 'But the dive probably could not be done successfully if the weather was not in your favor.'

Speaking on his clip about the communications issue, Estrada said: 'After 1,000 meters Scott, the pilot, detects a failure in his communication system.

'It is vital that we cannot communicate with the surface, otherwise we can get lost and drift in the middle of the ocean.'

The submarine had descended about 6,500 meters when the pilot released a ballast tank from each side to help it float back upwards. A short while later, the vessel regained communication with the ship at the surface and resumed its journey.

Estrada spoke after CBS Sunday Morning reporter David Pogue revealed Monday his troublesome experience on the Titan - which saw it suffer yet more communications issues.

The difficulties caused the submarine to be reported missing for two and a half hours - a similar amount of time to the blackout suffered during Estrada's expedition.

More
View Quote

That’s a lot of condensation…
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, deep diving tethered ROV's are a thing.

What point are you arguing?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
How long before Juan Browne shows up?  He'd let us know what the hell is going on.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Literally
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Literally
View Quote

Welcome aboard. What brought you here?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Literally
View Quote

Your very first post here makes no sense.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Literally

Maybe hasn't figured out quoting?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
That guy posting with the mexican flag at the view port is one of the weirdest flexes I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Common error - hit 'reply' on a post and one would reasonably expect there to be some indication of what you're replying to, but on arf 'reply' just means 'reply to thread' even though the button is on every post.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Common error - hit 'reply' on a post and one would reasonably expect there to be some indication of what you're replying to, but on arf 'reply' just means 'reply to thread' even though the button is on every post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still do that every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Literally
View Quote

Welcome!
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bringing logic into a thread where a giant sea squid got pissed and smashed a sub.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Lookner is streaming. Tracking SAR ships. Pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

When was the last time a new poster was told they had a well written, insightful contribution to a thread? Usually they are accused of joint the forum for nefarious reasons
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s a lot of condensation…
View Quote

I’m guessing that much condensation is not normal in subs?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When was the last time a new poster was told they had a well written, insightful contribution to a thread? Usually they are accused of joint the forum for nefarious reasons
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread about the FFL getting shutdown for NFA violations, and all the newbies joining in on that one because Google led them here looking for answers on WTF was up with their cans. I think a couple first posts had valid info about why the shutdown, and how to proceed with the transfers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Too soon
View All Quotes

Considering I stole that from a page full of such things posted elsewhere,  I'm thinking, Eh, not so much.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lookner is streaming. Tracking SAR ships. Pretty interesting.
View Quote

The Atalante ship and the Horizon Artic rescue ships passed each other instead of a rendezvous. Maybe the Ann Harvey ship will meet the Atalante? Very interesting indeed.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I still think the SEALs will pull off some Clive Cussler last minute shit and rescuer the sub at the last second…..thank god for southby!
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It’s the pure, unadulterated Irony, which makes this story so compelling.  

Titanic is renowned and revered, as the ultimate monument Man’s hubris.    

Then, along comes This clown, and says “Hold by Beer…,You like Hubris?    Well, here’s some MOAR, along with a side of Arrogance, Greed and Complacency!”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their deaths, while tragic, will not be without value.

It's another reminder to humanity of the very real risks associated with going to places inhospitable to life.

Who knows the number of people that will now reconsider plans that, if carried out, would have resulted in their demise.

Life is perilous and fragile and we are all better off for the reminder.

It’s the pure, unadulterated Irony, which makes this story so compelling.  

Titanic is renowned and revered, as the ultimate monument Man’s hubris.    

Then, along comes This clown, and says “Hold by Beer…,You like Hubris?    Well, here’s some MOAR, along with a side of Arrogance, Greed and Complacency!”

If the sub doesn't come back it will only become more enticing to those in the explorers guild. Mount everest is lined with the bodies of those that have failed, and that draws adventure seekers in. Makes the bragging rights more impressive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I still think the SEALs will pull off some Clive Cussler last minute shit and rescuer the sub at the last second…..thank god for southby!
View Quote

Not gonna happen. They were dead before the world knew they were missing.

The 96 hours claim of air is bullshit. Likely more like 9.6 hours, since I don't think I've seen any of their dives have actually made the 10 hour dive time they estimate. Always have something going wrong to cut it short.

Contemplating if I want to wager a case of Pmags over the fact they are dead.

ETA: A fundraiser for St. Judes off this would be badass, how much can we raise, compared to the money spent looking for these dead fucks?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Literally
View Quote

Long time, no see.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great reference
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a multi hour trip in a confined space where every time you exhale releases water vapor, and it doesn't look like the endcaps are insulated which would give a great place for that vapor to condense.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's a multi hour trip in a confined space where every time you exhale releases water vapor, and it doesn't look like the endcaps are insulated which would give a great place for that vapor to condense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they have a environmentally friendly potable water source.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@mokerr
FWIW I don't think that @subcomunic8r was showing his dick, rather trying to swat away the dick being thrown in his face by @AC_Doctor.

Sometimes people feel the need to correct misinformation and or show that someone stating "XYZ" isn't or may not be correct given the circumstances based on their real life experience.  I have seen other examples in this thread of other topics but they were corrected by other posters.

It's good to have SMEs (not in any way claiming to be one) chime in on real world VS "I have a bunch of certificates" posters here.

I know a bunch of people that have impressive resumes but aren't worth 2 shits when it comes to the rubber meeting the road in real life.

YMMV

ETA:
NM, if the post by another member after mine is correct you know exactly what I'm talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mokerr

YMMV

ETA:

All good man just having a bit of fun/doing a little light trash talk, wasn't meant to be super serious or anything. There are some very knowledgeable people in this thread fa sho!
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top