Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 'banging' detected by rescuers in the hunt for the missing Titan submarine appears to have been just "background ocean noise", it is revealed as the craft passes the crucial 96-hour oxygen point on Thursday.

The U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral leading the response to the dissapearance of the submersible Titan off the wreckage of the RMS Titanic in the northwest Atlantic has dashed the hopes of many that the detection of a banging noice in the sea may lead rescuers to the stricken craft.

Speaking to Britain's Sky News television channel, Rear Admiral John Mauger said that while the noises detected were still being analysed, it appeared that what had previously been characterised by banging as some was actually "background ocean noise". The search was ongoing despite the analysis, the officer said, and that he was in contact with the families of those onboard.
View Quote
Honestly I figured it was probably noise from the oil fields a couple hundred miles away.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Imagine for a second

If you were super rich

Even if it was "only" 1 billion dollars

How safe do you think you could make a trip down to the titanic and how much would it cost?

10 million dollars it what, 1% of your total wealth?

Regular people spend a larger percentage of their wealth just going to the beach every year

I am continually amazed at how stupid, petty, and ignorant the wealthiest people are in our society

Just insane
View Quote

The guy is a salesman, he found some suckers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My bet, based on the dive bell autopsy reports shared earlier, and significantly lower/opposite pressures, the five man crew would be essentially vaporized and burnt by the highly pressurized breathing air spontaneously combusting. The only pieces left intact would be the two titanium end pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5500psi water jet. Slice you like a side of beef.

My bet, based on the dive bell autopsy reports shared earlier, and significantly lower/opposite pressures, the five man crew would be essentially vaporized and burnt by the highly pressurized breathing air spontaneously combusting. The only pieces left intact would be the two titanium end pieces.
That's not how it works. In this/your scenario where water comes in all at once it (the air/gas) gets compressed and takes up less space, significantly less like the volume of a small bucket before it could potentially combust.) That small amount of air will not be around their bodies. There may be some trapped in their lungs and other parts which will blow out but they will not be vaporized or cooked like the diving bell incident. In your example with water coming in all at once the force of the water may crush them but you need to remember that people are also mostly water, water is not considered compressible. Yes they will be badly deformed and depending on the force of the water entering the sub probably crushed into one little space equivalent to the volume of all the passengers bodies combined, minus what oozes out. On the other hand, a slow maintainable leak, which is possible, but unlikely will result in their bodies looking relatively normal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A lesson I learned from the owner of a company I worked for a while back: You can tell how much a business values its customers by looking at their bathrooms.  
The skipper here had the customers on a bucket with ziplock baggies.
View Quote

A corollary: you can tell the quality of a country by looking at their sewer system.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The ones that are rated deep enough are two man subs, no way to commercialize them with passengers.  I have doubts that even doing five at a time in the el-cheapo homebuilt sub was ever going to balance the books.  Likely they'd have just kept recruiting investors until they ran out of suckers and went bankrupt 3-5-10 years from now, paying themselves handsomely in the interim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the main window is i deed acrylic and not polycarbonate, that right there leads to questions.

Acrylic, may be optically more clear, there is a reason aircraft use polycarbonate. Acrylic doesn't crackle as the idiot CEO says, it shatters like glass.

There's a good reason it's not allowed to be used in race vehicles.

Acrlic, actually IIRC a single acrylic company, makes the vast majority off submersible viewports.

Yeah the company where they should have bought their submersible from uses full Acrylic hulls. They have a few models that could make it down to the Titanic. Pretty interesting that they would decide to try to make their own rather than get one of these or have one built

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/ultradeep/

The ones that are rated deep enough are two man subs, no way to commercialize them with passengers.  I have doubts that even doing five at a time in the el-cheapo homebuilt sub was ever going to balance the books.  Likely they'd have just kept recruiting investors until they ran out of suckers and went bankrupt 3-5-10 years from now, paying themselves handsomely in the interim.

Yep two man only but they could build. 5 for the right price. CEO did state they weren’t making money.

I did Look it up and Tritons best submersible rated for unlimited depth is $48 million. I wonder what they spent on this tin can and what it would have cost Triton to build one for 5.  Their 2 man Titanic Explorer is ~$15 million
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The $250,000 fee wasn’t round trip.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The $250,000 fee wasn’t round trip.
View Quote

One-way with a permanent layover.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised if they used 3M 5200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really would like to know what bonding agent they used for the Ti ring to the CF tube. I bet they used plexus
I wouldn't be surprised if they used 3M 5200.

Yeah maybe, but they coated it with Rhino Liner, so it's all cool.  

I'm sure the through-hull for the "backup hydraulic ram to drop ballast" was done with the utmost care as well.  

Same for that tiny little single o-ring; I'm sure it never got nicked or anything, and I'm positive the condition of the o-ring groove was perfect.  

Similarly, no weird stress risers introduced anywhere (perhaps due to someone swinging scaffold pipe around and hitting the hull, or the pretty little window that flexes 3/4 inch each use, etc).

The pipe within a pipe in the video with the actor from Mexico was a nice touch.  I can see that inner pipe sliding during descent, locking up the whole works.  

My bet is on one of the following:

- Catastrophic failure of the CF hull, probably due to separation from the titanium ring due to flexing and degradation of the bond
- O ring extruded right into the passenger compartment, the water jet slicing apart whomever was on the shitter at the time
- Salt corrosion of the electronics caused a fire or rapid battery drain, taking the CO2 scrubbers with them.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
“seating pads”

I would think the pressure would compress them/it to something the size of a tennis ball and it wouldn’t be buoyant.

Shit floating when a ship is sinking or a sub gets depth charged at a few hundred feet is way different.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We'll call it 5600psi.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just calculated it right before reading this...

5,568.181818 PSI at 12,500 ft down

but what's the difference at that point.

We'll call it 5600psi.

Yours was more technical... Mine was from amateur scuba diving class.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Debris field discovered.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Did I read correctly somewhere that THIS SUB successfully viewed the Titanic.  It seemed from stories there was a history of cancellations.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
USCGNortheast
@USCGNortheast
·
4m
A debris field was discovered within the search area by an ROV near the Titanic. Experts within the unified command are evaluating the information. 1/2

https://twitter.com/USCGNortheast
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

we really wont get details until this officially becomes a recovery not a rescue effort. press is not on the ship and those involved don't have the luxury of time for detailed press briefings. i expect details will come out but it may be months if they do.
View Quote

Certainly.

My main question right now, if I could be picked to ask one, is what did the mother ship suspect, and based on what evidence, in the first day. Or, what did speculation aboard the mother look like in the first ~12 hours. Because they *should have* had pretty much all the available info at their fingertips.

My second question would be: How on earth did anyone ever justify launching a vessel they couldn't keep track of for 3 hours? I get gambling on how many cycles the window would last (not saying I'd do it - saying I understand). I get wanting user-friendly controls. I get a lot of the risks.

I do *NOT* get dropping tourists into 2.5 miles of water without a way to track their every move independent of any input on their behalf. That's unfathomable to me. It is absolutely beyond my comprehension that the instant comms were lost nobody was able to turn their head 45 degrees and glance over to a different computer monitor and say 'well, ok, we have lost comms but I still see them on the glorified fish finder screen'.

No. Way. On Earth.

*shakes head*
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stupid hurts.
View Quote
That would have been too quick to feel anything
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine for a second

If you were super rich

How safe do you think you could make a trip down to the titanic and how much would it cost?

Regular people spend a larger percentage of their wealth just going to the beach every year

I am continually amazed at how stupid, petty, and ignorant the wealthiest people are in our society

Just insane

Just like the rich idiots that clog Mt Everest every year so they can take a selfie or post from base camp.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#20]
It brew up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
See this is why they don't let the grab assin booger eaters from the Army run reactors anymore.

They tried it, it ended badly.

You navy types kinda made a shit show out of TMI but still...nobody got pinned to the ceiling, so you've got that going for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody needed to mind the teakettle and row the boat.  A real nerd would remember the fast fission non-escape probability equation in the six factor formula.
See this is why they don't let the grab assin booger eaters from the Army run reactors anymore.

They tried it, it ended badly.

You navy types kinda made a shit show out of TMI but still...nobody got pinned to the ceiling, so you've got that going for you.

They did learn a brand new way to throw a spear....
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#22]
USCG press briefing at 3pm today

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Wonder if the carbon fiber tube or the plexiglass porthole let go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Debris field discovered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyt7qDPiQWY
View Quote

BREAKING NEWS!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!! (Lookner voice)

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As a Cuban-American who knows legit Balseros. The Balseros had a greater sense of safety of their designs and they built their rafts out of trash.

https://s3.abcstatics.com/Media/201202/06/balseros--644x362.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

seen the memes...chortled a bit here and there

whats fucking sickening in (mainly the left) celebrating their deaths as "who cares if a billionaire dies--fuck em"
disgusting as its coming from a bunch of lazy fucks that demand the "rich" pay for all their laziness and debauchery.

How do you feel if a boat full of refugees capsizes and the refugees drown? How does most of this website feel?

As a Cuban-American who knows legit Balseros. The Balseros had a greater sense of safety of their designs and they built their rafts out of trash.

https://s3.abcstatics.com/Media/201202/06/balseros--644x362.jpg

Some

Somewhat off topic, but I have to give that group a A+ on resourcefulness.  Not only that but that classic truck is worth a bit if they get to land without the Coast Guard seizing it.
    It’s crazy to compare taking a risk to give your family a better life vs see a sunken coffin for fun and bragging rights.

It’s like comparing a soldiers life, taking defending their homeland versus a gang banger getting shot in a robbery attempt
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did I read correctly somewhere that THIS SUB successfully viewed the Titanic.  It seemed from stories there was a history of cancellations.
View Quote

Yes multiple times. Plenty of “tourist” have done some interviews that are interesting if you search you tube
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It brew up.
View Quote

Nah, it collapsed in.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Russian sub probably hit it.

That'll get us in wwiiii
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#31]
What are the costs to do this in a vehicle carries an independent 4000m classification certification?  Perhaps an order of magnitude greater on a per-passenger basis?

This guy is trying to open up deepwater exploration at a more achievable price, and at the same time, have enough margin so the revenue goes to fund the ocean research efforts of others.  There are going to be a lot of trade-offs in such an endeavor.  

The pushback on his comments about looking for younger engineering teams?  Look, that is a common characteristic of agile design environments of small scale companies.  A number of reasons for that, and virtually none of them for the reasons spouted by armchair pontiffs.

Everything is tug of war between money, time and quality.

It's an experimental vehicle.  Clients know this.  This company may very well be the only company offering such a thing.  A venture down there in a classed-vessel may not even be purchasable - maybe through hard fought negotiation, larger sums of money, and so forth, but has anyone ever done that?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really would like to know what bonding agent they used for the Ti ring to the CF tube. I bet they used plexus

JB Weld.

Possibly but more likely they used Liquid Nails.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Everyone quiet.  It's the debris field stage now
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

USCGNortheast
@USCGNortheast
·
4m
A debris field was discovered within the search area by an ROV near the Titanic. Experts within the unified command are evaluating the information. 1/2

View Quote

They dead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm honestly surprised they found debris, I thought the seafloor would be too big for that.

Seems the Billionaires elected to continue to the site even after losing comms.

"Get-there-itis"

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Imagine for a second

If you were super rich

Just insane
View Quote

Yeah in this case I get the sense that it's not a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience for those people (like spending $50million on a trip to the ISS would be), but it's more of a bragging thing. "I was at the Titanic, and here's the selfie to prove it".

A few years back I read an article on one of those 'space tourist' guys and was pretty impressed by the level of training and learning he dedicated to it.  I think that guy (and others like him) would have looked at this 'sub' and said "NFW" and called up Triton instead.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USCGNortheast
@USCGNortheast
·
4m

They dead.

now, now, we don't know that.

They could be standing off to the side, waiting for a pickup.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The CF would likely be disintegrated and scattered, but there would definitely be identifiable human remains, at least for a brief period.  There isn't much protein at that depth, so they would not last long.  Bone fragments would take longer, but would also eventually be consumed.  Of course, there would be very little chance of discovering either before they were gone given the area, depth, and conditions

But almost everything else on board would likely survive for an extended period, albeit in various states of mangled.  Some of it should also surface, like perhaps the seating pads and plastic bits, but given the size of the ocean, finding any of it would require quite a bit of luck.  That said, I would not at all be surprised if folks start start claiming they found the seat pads, game controller(s), and/or anything else they can buy off amazon and soak in a bucket of salt water before trying to make a buck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CF would likely be disintegrated and scattered, but there would definitely be identifiable human remains, at least for a brief period.  There isn't much protein at that depth, so they would not last long.  Bone fragments would take longer, but would also eventually be consumed.  Of course, there would be very little chance of discovering either before they were gone given the area, depth, and conditions

But almost everything else on board would likely survive for an extended period, albeit in various states of mangled.  Some of it should also surface, like perhaps the seating pads and plastic bits, but given the size of the ocean, finding any of it would require quite a bit of luck.  That said, I would not at all be surprised if folks start start claiming they found the seat pads, game controller(s), and/or anything else they can buy off amazon and soak in a bucket of salt water before trying to make a buck.

I bet any human remains were instantly shredded in the milliseconds-long storm of carbon fiber fragments and all the other bits and pieces that were suddenly moving at 4000 mph.  I dunno; it's really hard to grasp the violence of such an implosion.

That's not meant to be irreverent or insensitive.  It actually wouldn't be a bad way to go... you would basically just 'cease to be'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm honestly surprised they found debris, I thought the seafloor would be too big for that.

Seems the Billionaires elected to continue to the site even after losing comms.

"Get-there-itis"

View Quote

They probably lost comms the second it imploded.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USCGNortheast
@USCGNortheast
·
4m

They dead.

Hell of a Uber price tag down there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a feeling the ROV was looking for a target in an area probably specified by the support vessel. This debris field is probably it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I bet any human remains were instantly shredded in the milliseconds-long storm of carbon fiber fragments and all the other bits and pieces that were suddenly moving at 4000 mph.  I dunno; it's really hard to grasp the violence of such an implosion.

That's not meant to be irreverent or insensitive.  It actually wouldn't be a bad way to go... you would basically just 'cease to be'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've thought it to be pretty much the same thing as being dropped onto the surface of the sun
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That is possible just very expensive. You would need a massive weight, incredibly strong line that can survive in the environment and a very big and very fancy buoy. Who is going to pay for the maintenance on that buoy? How are you going to replace the line?
View Quote

Town named Dildo might be interested in doing it .
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Average human needs 550 liters per day.

So 5 people for 4 days = 11,000 liters

A typical oxygen tank (like this) holds 1700 liters and weighs about 10kg

https://www.oxygenone.com/uploads/userfiles/files/images/In-Content%20Images/M60%20for%20web.png

So they would need 7 of those.

Of course, this disregards the whole CO2 issue, which is the real limiting factor..... I'm not sure exactly what it would take to scrub that much CO2 for 20 man-days in such a small space... but I'm betting they didn't have it.

View Quote

You'd also have to vent the excess pressure somehow, wouldn't you? You can't just keep cracking open the valves on those pressurized tanks to add oxygen to the air in the sub...
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#45]
debris field has been found apparently

DUPE
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean, there has been a debris field down there for the better part of 111 years.  And that debris field is "near" Titanic.  Actually, it is Titanic.

In all seriousness though, I think that's probably a wrap on this.  If they put out a release that says they found a debris field, that's the sub.  It imploded.

I said several pages back that if it imploded, the debris would be obvious to an ROV.  It would quite literally stick out like a sore thumb, as the area is already well-mapped and titanium, computer parts, and assorted other modern non-rusty components were going to always be an anomaly in the area.

With the news that they think the banging on the audio was background noise, that they found this supposed debris field, that they lost contact so early on, etc., I think it's definitely reasonable to conclude at this point that it imploded on the way down, early into the mission.  Very sad outcome, but not an unexpected one.  At least it was probably quick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Not a safe thread anymore.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Ive seen NASA screw the pooch a few times now w a much larger budget. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it...
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You'd also have to vent the excess pressure somehow, wouldn't you? You can't just keep cracking open the valves on those pressurized tanks to add oxygen to the air in the sub...
View Quote

Why not?  You got 87,000 psi pushing on the outside of the sub.  Its not gonna explode.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What are the costs to do this in a vehicle carries an independent 4000m classification certification?  Perhaps an order of magnitude greater on a per-passenger basis?

This guy is trying to open up deepwater exploration at a more achievable price, and at the same time, have enough margin so the revenue goes to fund the ocean research efforts of others.  There are going to be a lot of trade-offs in such an endeavor.  

The pushback on his comments about looking for younger engineering teams?  Look, that is a common characteristic of agile design environments of small scale companies.  A number of reasons for that, and virtually none of them for the reasons spouted by armchair pontiffs.

Everything is tug of war between money, time and quality.

It's an experimental vehicle.  Clients know this.  This company may very well be the only company offering such a thing.  A venture down there in a classed-vessel may not even be purchasable - maybe through hard fought negotiation, larger sums of money, and so forth, but has anyone ever done that?
View Quote

You make a  great point but there also seems some glaring safety issues. Seems like a major mistake to hire young people and not have anyone on the team with a lot of experience w/ this.

This explains a lot here https://youtu.be/4dka29FSZac

CEO also said they worked w/ NASA and Boeing . Both said they were not part of the project. Nasa said they were consult but really had nothing to do with it
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top