Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
This has some interesting social media bits
The Truth About the Titanic
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On an ABC interview today he said he actually spent more time on the Titanic than the captain did.

Here's the video, first 10 seconds

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
James cameron sure does push the fact over and over that he knew before everyone else that it imploded, why is that of any concern other than for hsi own EGO, "im smarter than everyone else and I knew before you did!!" type attitude is cringe.  
On an ABC interview today he said he actually spent more time on the Titanic than the captain did.

Hell, he probably has.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Video of glueing the titanium ring to the CF:hull with epoxy:

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
1912: Opponents of the creation of the Federal Reserve sink aboard the Titanic

2023: Opponents of the creation of CBDC sink aboard the Titan (I have no credible source for this claim whatsoever please clap)
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Yah know, we've been ripping on this sub and it's designer for all the janky features, but by golly, I think it's super cool how they had the ceiling of the sub light up like the inside of the "Cash Cab" when someone gets in!!

at 23:05
Mi expedición al TITANIC parte 1/4 | Alan por el mundo
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm just back to say my prediction was, shockingly, wrong
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The descent into darkness starts at (5:00) Watching Titanic on the way down (6:21)

Baje´ a los restos del Titanic 4K | Parte 4/4
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hell, he probably has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
James cameron sure does push the fact over and over that he knew before everyone else that it imploded, why is that of any concern other than for hsi own EGO, "im smarter than everyone else and I knew before you did!!" type attitude is cringe.  

Hell, he probably has.

He’s made 33 dives to the wreck. One of those included being pinned against her by current for 16 hours.

The Titanic’s voyage was only about 4 days. That single dive was 1/6 the entire operational life of the ship.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He’s made 33 dives to the wreck. One of those included being pinned against her by current for 16 hours.

The Titanic’s voyage was only about 4 days. That single dive was 1/6 the entire operational life of the ship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, he probably has.

yes I already understand his past experience, but whatim saying is that he has spent a majority of his time "bragging" about how he already knew what happened before anyone else,  its just pointless to do. spend time talking about the incident and not about polishing your own ego.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU BUILD THE SUB OUT OF CARBON FIBER?

Carbon Fiber is for make strong... LIGHTWEIGHT materials.

Like race cars.  And PLANES.

WHO CARES HOW HEAVY A SUBMARINE IS.

Its not like they're going to race the fuckers on the bottom around the shipwreck.  
View Quote

@Notcalifornialegal

Spain is not happy with your mockery

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm sure they do.  The question is, what is the AI looking for?  I don't have any experience with SOSUS or it's successor, but I do have some experience with other technologies that present a similar problem.  You have sensors hoovering up a ton of data from the environment, which includes many different signature which could be of interest to somebody under the right circumstances.  You set up the automation to flag signatures that match events relevant to the primary mission of the system and review the data record as needed if questions about something else come up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In the case of Scorpion SOSUS detected the event, but it was not noticed until the sub went missing and they reviewed the recorded data.  That’s probably what happened here.  The primary purpose of the system is not to detect imploding pressure vessels, but they can go through the data and find it if they have reason to look for one.

Maybe these days the Navy has an AI reviewing the raw data and when it spots something weird it gives a heads up.

I'm sure they do.  The question is, what is the AI looking for?  I don't have any experience with SOSUS or it's successor, but I do have some experience with other technologies that present a similar problem.  You have sensors hoovering up a ton of data from the environment, which includes many different signature which could be of interest to somebody under the right circumstances.  You set up the automation to flag signatures that match events relevant to the primary mission of the system and review the data record as needed if questions about something else come up.

It filters out whales humping and seismic anomalies.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Video of glueing the titanium ring to the CF:hull with epoxy:

View Quote

I fukken said it was JB Weld !!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At least it was fast.
View Quote

Yep. Sounds like it was instantaneous. My mind has a hard time understanding exactly how fast that implosion happened, but apparently it was so fast the people inside went from "hey Joe, you've been in shitter long enough, it's my turn" to vaporized paste in 1/100th of a second.

I wonder if they "heard" something in that 1/100th of second, or if it was just too fast.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep. Sounds like it was instantaneous. My mind has a hard time understanding exactly how fast that implosion happened, but apparently it was so fast the people inside went from "hey Joe, you've been in shitter long enough, it's my turn" to vaporized paste in 1/100th of a second.

I wonder if they "heard" something in that 1/100th of second, or if it was just too fast.
View Quote

If you read earlier in the thread about the USS Scorpion, which had a lot more engineering and cash into it and less depth; but did maintain comms until crush depth, the time difference between first  sound notice of buckle and all 99 crew being dead is less than 2 seconds.  And the Scorpion wasn't anywhere near these depths.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYy09tdrpE

James Cameron on "fundamental flaw" in design of Titan submersible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XIyin68vEE
View Quote

Add James Cameron to the list of people who don’t know the difference between the words ‘irony’ and ‘coincidence’.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least it was fast.

From the math I've seen, it happened about 10 times faster than that. In a millisecond or even less. Takes 25 milliseconds for the brain to process something. So while there may have been earlier signs of a problem, they never even knew the implosion happened.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From the math I've seen, it happened about 10 times faster than that. In a millisecond or even less. Takes 25 milliseconds for the brain to process something. So while there may have been earlier signs of a problem, they never even knew the implosion happened.
View Quote

Mind, imploded.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you hear something crackle?  Chances you got that whole sentence out or someone answered you are very low.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mind, imploded.
View Quote

Light's out. RFN !
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Man Boeing is probably reviewing every little detail about whatever dealings they had with Oceangate.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man Boeing is probably reviewing every little detail about whatever dealings they had with Oceangate.
View Quote

Stockton was on the phone trying to get some 787 cutoffs for his Challenger Deep tourism project
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet that one little reference is employing an entire law school class for the next two years, minimum.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Not only did the CEO kill himself and four other people, he likely setback any cutting edge innovation in this type of equipment for a very long time.  The very thing he was pushing against. Ultimate failure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Have they released any actual video or still pics of the titan debris?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have to look up the trade name, but internally we just call it 902.  Which probably means nothing to almost everyone outside the company.  But our salesperson would.
View Quote
What gives steel low thermal expansion? A pile of nickle?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not only did the CEO kill himself and four other people, he likely setback any cutting edge innovation in this type of equipment for a very long time.  The very thing he was pushing against. Ultimate failure.
View Quote

All shit-talking aside, the CEO was willing to put his very life behind what he believed, and did. There are a lot of people walking around alive just because they never believe in something that fervently.  So, credit where credit is due.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#28]
In case you overlooked this post from page 91...post 20 and a possible collision reported on page 91...post 31
SNIP:
in May of 2021, we hired a Navy Submarine Engineer/Evaluator to come out and give a report on the sub. Here are the excerpts

SNIP:
"The submarine should not be operated if it has been involved in any sort of collision, where another object comes in violent contact with the pressure hull (e.g.   another ship, a forklift, a loose toolbox that flies across the deck in heavy seas, etc.). Such a collision has the potential to weaken the structure of the hull and may result in a catastrophic event. By all accounts there is no non-destructive test that can positively ascertain that the craft is safe following such a collision due to the density and thickness of the hull."
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

All shit-talking aside, the CEO was willing to put his very life behind what he believed, and did. There are a lot of people walking around alive just because they never believe in something that fervently.  So, credit where credit is due.
View Quote

I agree with you 100%, just not in this particular case.  Evidence?  Well, it's been presented 24/7.  I guess you could thank him for confirming that you can't cut corners.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have they released any actual video or still pics of the titan debris?
View Quote

Realwar is on it
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#31]
So the thinking is that the atmosphere inside the sub superheated for a few milliseconds during the event?

Would this have been due to compression of the cabin air?  Or energy release?  Or both?

I wonder what *exactly* happened to the carcasses.

Hopefully, there will be some highly detailed computer simulations done soon.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#32]
This incident will bring out even more idiots who will try to do something similar. That’s probably why James Cameron is so upset, these amateur “visionaries” will end up drawing in more regulation and nosey  Karen politicians who will try to ruin their billionaire hobby.

In 20 years time, the Titanic wreck will be littered with popped subs. The underwater Everest.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In 20 years time, the Titanic wreck will be littered with popped subs. The underwater Everest.
View Quote

I literally LOL'd.

"popped subs"
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's one way to spin it.  If he went by himself I'd be more inclined to agree.

The other way to look at it is that he suffered from enormous hubris and a lack of technical knowledge regarding the risk he was taking with the CF hull and under rated window.

There are also indications that he did know the risk and ignored them.  That's not hubris its reckless negligence.  If that's the case, Rush has no qualities to be admired, he got 4 people killed with arrogance, stupidity and greed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's one way to spin it.  If he went by himself I'd be more inclined to agree.

The other way to look at it is that he suffered from enormous hubris and a lack of technical knowledge regarding the risk he was taking with the CF hull and under rated window.

There are also indications that he did know the risk and ignored them.  That's not hubris its reckless negligence.  If that's the case, Rush has no qualities to be admired, he got 4 people killed with arrogance, stupidity and greed.
View Quote

SS Dunning Kruger

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, people get other people killed doing that all the time. It's not even newsworthy.  Dying alongside them, despite flaws, that's newsworthy.

"All in the valley of death, rode the six hundred"
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#37]
6000 LB/IN^2 = 864,000 LB/FT^2 The window looks like it's close to a FT^2. Total pressure on that thing had to be millions of lbs.......
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All shit-talking aside, the CEO was willing to put his very life behind what he believed, and did….So, credit where credit is due.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All shit-talking aside, the CEO was willing to put his very life behind what he believed, and did….So, credit where credit is due.

Kind of like the people who believed they had plenty of time to beat the train or were sober enough to drive home?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Translation

Hubris
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol no not when you kill 4 people. The only credit is you’re a dumbass
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Her great-great-grandparents died on the Titanic. Her husband died visiting the wreckage.
Archival records show that Wendy Rush, the wife of OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, is the great-great-granddaughter of Isidor and Ida Straus, The New York Times reported
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are also indications that he did know the risk and ignored them.  That's not hubris its reckless negligence.
View Quote

Serious question: if Elon sends a rocket with people to mars and everybody dies is that reckless negligence?  There will be a large fraction of the world telling him it’s dangerous and he shouldn’t do it.  Or do you feel like it would be OK because there’d be hundreds of engineers involved and “everybody knows space is risky”?  

Rush had an engineering degree from Princeton in the 80s and had worked as an engineer, he wasn’t a wanna-be engineer.  The real time acoustic monitoring thing is real technology not snake oil science, it simply is not fully matured technology.  Moving forwarding with risk is how the world works everyday - You risk your life today when you drive to work, walk down stairs, and eat processed food.  You accept the risk based on your risk/reward tolerance.  

I said around page 30 this guy’s only fault is that the waivers should’ve had more explicit language - they said “you might die” and I think they should’ve said something like “this submarine is experimental in nature and is neither designed nor certified to commonly accepted standards”.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@mlg123

This dieseling- is this the same effect where I’ve seen blacksmiths start a fire by hammering away at a piece of wood? Or is that more of an extreme friction?
View Quote

No, this is what make a diesel engine go vroom vroom.  Or in the case of a Detroit 6-71, clank clank.  Run the pressure up high enough and fast enough and you do two things. 1) you create lots of heat, and 2) you enrich the atmosphere.  The resulting conditions are sufficient to cause the diesel fuel to spontaneously detonate.  This is what happened to our "explorers", at the top of the stroke in their little 1 stroke engine, their clothes and dermis/fat layer spontaneously detonated.

In the case of your blacksmith, he's rubbing the wood fibers together real hard.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think it will stifle any innovation because from the looks of it there wasn't any.  

He succeeded in getting to the wreck a few times on a shoestring budget but he didn't really develop or discover anything new.  

Others already did the work of locating and mapping it and the technology already existed to go there relatively safely.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#46]
All Monday morning QBing aside, when I saw the video of them gluing the titanium ring onto the carbon hull, I wondered what would happen when the cylindrical hull deforms….over and over and over again. I’m far from an engineer, but that seemed like a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Serious question: if Elon sends a rocket with people to mars and everybody dies is that reckless negligence?  There will be a large fraction of the world telling him it’s dangerous and he shouldn’t do it.  Or do you feel like it would be OK because there’d be hundreds of engineers involved and “everybody knows space is risky”?  

Rush had an engineering degree from Princeton in the 80s and had worked as an engineer, he wasn’t a wanna-be engineer.  The real time acoustic monitoring thing is real technology not snake oil science, it simply is not fully matured technology.  Moving forwarding with risk is how the world works everyday - You risk your life today when you drive to work, walk down stairs, and eat processed food.  You accept the risk based on your risk/reward tolerance.  

I said around page 30 this guy’s only fault is that the waivers should’ve had more explicit language - they said “you might die” and I think they should’ve said something like “this submarine is experimental in nature and is neither designed nor certified to commonly accepted standards”.  
View Quote

When you're the first submersible to have fatalities since the 1960s. You might have pushed the boundaries a bit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I cannot recall any post in ARFCOM history that was as wrong as this quoted post, congratulations, you have made ARFCOM history!
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Kind of like the people who believed they had plenty of time to beat the train or were sober enough to drive home?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All shit-talking aside, the CEO was willing to put his very life behind what he believed, and did .So, credit where credit is due.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When you're the first submersible to have fatalities since the 1960s. You might have pushed the boundaries a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the equivalent of the DIY silicone butt injections that kill and maim people all the time
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top