Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd bet there'll be multiple versions with different dot sizes, just like RMRs and SROs.
View Quote

Shotgun
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Amazing how quickly the hive mind has discarded the RMR.
View Quote

Just holosun poors.

With that being said, I do not want this...
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No, it uses screws into holes in the RMR foot print.

But the heads of the screws will slide into a cavity from the sides of the optic and then stay captured there.  You cant access the face of the screw head, so the screws have holes/dimples around the circumference of the head that you wrench on to tighten with a special tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310612/FB_IMG_1690243485008_jpg-2896894.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gotta be some sort of quick/side release to a proprietary plate given that it mounts in the RMR footprint. Those screw mounting locations would pierce right through the "closed" part of the MRDS.

But the heads of the screws will slide into a cavity from the sides of the optic and then stay captured there.  You cant access the face of the screw head, so the screws have holes/dimples around the circumference of the head that you wrench on to tighten with a special tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310612/FB_IMG_1690243485008_jpg-2896894.JPG

That's a rather interesting approach.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
same mounting as the RMR?
View Quote
Yes.

Quoted:

Did a German company buy Trijicon? That sounds like BMW/Porsche levels of over engineering.

Sounds like they should have scrapped the RMR footprint (it wasn't even designed for pistols). There would have been much GD gnashing of teeth but better rip the scab off now vs. kicking the can down the road on a less-than-optimal mounting footprint.
View Quote
I agree that it's kind of a bit of a ham-fisted way to maintain RMR-cut compatibility, but it also helps maintain the RMR cut as an industry standard and avoid the need for adaptor plates or other such nonsense if you already have an RMR cut gun.

Holosun seems to be the only one that figured they'd just shorten the "tube" length so the RMR hole positions are exposed to the top, and it seems to have worked fine for them.  I also think they were smart going to the 1632 battery, which is smaller and allow enough space to side-load a bottom position battery and still fit the RMR size and screw spacing, while still giving plenty of battery life.  I think with how MRDS tech is developing, clinging to the 2032 size battery is going to be a albatross.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I understand the reasoning behind the concept but they ALL look like ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice mailbox they made there

Closed emitters are dumb.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That’s a huge bitch!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I go weekly, but thanks anyway.
View Quote

Then removing the RMR isn’t an issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice mailbox they made there

They are until they're not.

I'll take 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
1. It’s fucking hideous.

2. I worry it’ll be like $700.

3. It’s nice to see them finally offering updates the market has been asking for.

4. Trijicon is a cool company and I hope they continue making updates like this. Now do the ACOG with FO/LED combo tech as standard.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
No selectable recticle?

Needs more circle-dot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes.

I agree that it's kind of a bit of a ham-fisted way to maintain RMR-cut compatibility, but it also helps maintain the RMR cut as an industry standard and avoid the need for adaptor plates or other such nonsense if you already have an RMR cut gun.

Holosun seems to be the only one that figured they'd just shorten the "tube" length so the RMR hole positions are exposed to the top, and it seems to have worked fine for them.
View Quote

Come to think of it, given topside battery replacement, this will be a one and done installation. I think the market can deal with that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did a German company buy Trijicon? That sounds like BMW/Porsche levels of over engineering.

They should have scrapped the RMR footprint (it wasn't even designed for pistols). There would have been much GD gnashing of teeth but better rip the scab off now vs. kicking the can down the road on a less-than-optimal mounting footprint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should have scrapped the RMR footprint (it wasn't even designed for pistols). There would have been much GD gnashing of teeth but better rip the scab off now vs. kicking the can down the road on a less-than-optimal mounting footprint.

That's a stretch.

The RMR footprint has evolved into something of an industry standard. There's a growing number of pistols that come from the factory with either RMR specific cuts or RMR compatible cuts.

There's a lot of value in maintaining compatibility with that.

Alternatively, Trijicon has probably noticed that their RMRcc cut is an orphaned bastard on the market, and it's not supported by much of anyone, so that hurts sales in a big way. They probably don't want to ride that ride again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Come to think of it, given topside battery replacement, this will be a one and done installation. I think the market can deal with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Holosun seems to be the only one that figured they'd just shorten the "tube" length so the RMR hole positions are exposed to the top, and it seems to have worked fine for them.

Yeah the install looks like a little of a pain in the ass, but it’s not like it’ll be done every Thursday so no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a stretch.

The RMR has evolved into something of an industry standard. There's a growing number of pistols that come from the factory with either RMR specific cuts or RMR compatible cuts.

Alternatively, Trijicon has probably noticed that their RMRcc cut is an orphaned bastard on the market, and it's not supported by much of anyone, so that hurts sales in a big way. They probably don't want to ride that ride again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a stretch.

The RMR has evolved into something of an industry standard. There's a growing number of pistols that come from the factory with either RMR specific cuts or RMR compatible cuts.

They need to unfuck their RMRcc it has to hurt not having a viable product in that niche. I like supporting Trijicon but not if that means buying an RMRcc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The new RMR HD is also going to be top-loaded battery, with more conventional open emitter design.  I've never minded the need to remove the optic to change batteries every year or two, but it definitely seems clunky now when most other options figured out a better way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Accepted by most as the best dot size.
View Quote

Nah, it's a tactical timmy size for people that like to buy stuff for their guns but don't actually shoot.

6-8 moa is for people that actually shoot
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
This looks really good, but they would have been better off using the ACRO mount footprint as it eliminates the need for posts and screw holes. That said the positive to fitting the RMR foot print is there are so many handguns out there either milled for an RMR or have an RMR plate installed. Using a CR2023 battery is smart

Two things keep me from ever using a Holosun. One is they are 100% Chinese manufactured in a CCP owned facility. The other is the CR1632 battery as everything I own takes CR2032 batteries.

Circle dot in a small window pistol optic is used to draw in those with shined object syndrome. Does nothing that a bright red dot doesn’t.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad to see they finally caught up with Holosun!

That mounting looks full retard. Should have gone Acro mount which is better anyways.

I'll stick with my MPS.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nah, it's a tactical timmy size for people that like to buy stuff for their guns but don't actually shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's dumb
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
After thinking about it some more, I'd really like to see more info on how the mounting screws work.

Are you supposed to try to start the screw threads in those tiny side slots, or do you install the screws into the slide first and then slide the optic over the screws, like a keymod system?

What about slides with raised bosses, like this one?

Attachment Attached File

I'm trying to imagine starting the screw threads in those tiny little slots, and am having trouble picturing it. Are there any videos out there yet showing the installation procedure?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No selectable recticle?

Needs more circle-dot.
View Quote

Gross
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strong preference for the 6ish. Everyone wants the tiny ass one like they’re shooting gnats @ 100 with their carry gun or something. It’s literally 6 inches @ 100 yards, it’s fine for what it is lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
It checks all the boxes for what I was hoping for! As for looks, all the enclosed mrds look like a box to me. I hope to buy one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
GD for the past half a dozen years: "Trijicon is lame for not offering a closed-emitter RDS or a RDS with top-load battery. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they had one!"
GD after Trijicon creates a closed-emitter RDS: "A closed emitter? Top load battery? Gross! I'm not buying one of those!"

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm very interested in this optic.  One thing thing that concerns me a little is the height of the base.  This dimension looks huge even compared to the RMR.  I assume that is because of the way it mounts.  I'm not excited about the potential of buying a new optic and having to replace already upgraded iron sights.  My current Ameriglo  GL-252 sights have a .394" rear sight height.  I'm hoping that works with this optic.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm very interested in this optic.  One thing thing that concerns me a little is the height of the base.  This dimension looks huge even compared to the RMR.  I assume that is because of the way it mounts.  I'm not excited about the potential of buying a new optic and having to replace already upgraded iron sights.  My current Ameriglo  GL-252 sights have a .394" rear sight height.  I'm hoping that works with this optic.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/549629/1000004250_jpg-2897617.JPG
View Quote

@LamePostCount

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It said the deck height is the same as the RMR, so that existing cowitnessed iron sights will still work.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same base height as an RMR according to OP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#30]
If I'm putting a brick on top of my pistol it'll be an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh fuck yeah
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks like a truly terrible solution.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#33]
That thing looks like you should be able to watch Netflix on it when you aren’t shooting.

Which is nice, I want one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#34]
NDA supposedly lifts August 1st.

The RMR HD is looking mighty nice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
GD for the past half a dozen years: "Trijicon is lame for not offering a closed-emitter RDS or a RDS with top-load battery. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they had one!"
GD after Trijicon creates a closed-emitter RDS: "A closed emitter? Top load battery? Gross! I'm not buying one of those!"

View Quote

GD is fickle! M249 being discontinued thread is also another example.

GD: I wish gun companies would offer military products to civis.
FN: Offers M249
GD: Too expensive, semi auto only, shit trigger, horrible accuracy. "I'll just get an AR. "

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. Window also looks fairly small, relative to the size of that thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes the Acro look downright svelte!

I was thinking the same thing. Window also looks fairly small, relative to the size of that thing.

It looks like that to me too. It looks big as fuck for the window to look pretty similar to an RMR. I hate to be one of those people that just bitches, it just looks huge for such a small window. I know you can’t have everything, but it would be cooler if it had a better window:mass ratio.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
My C-More is 6moa.  I think there's been several polls in USPSA and 6 was the preferred dot size in Open division.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Form follows function.  That thing looks hideous.  I wouldn’t expect great things from it.  

I love my RMR’s and ACOG though.  Trijicon night sights are tops as well.  Hopefully we see something better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Found another image. Note the capstan screw. Will add to the OP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Found another image. Note the capstan screw. Will add to the OP.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/FB_IMG_1690243485008_jpg-2896894_jpeg-2897634.JPG
View Quote

How do you start the screw threads, though?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

GD: Too expensive, semi auto only, shit trigger, horrible accuracy. "I'll just get an AR. "

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wish I could afford a SAW and a m1014

The 2 long guns that kept me alive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not wrong.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing that it will use a miniature version of this:

Attachment Attached File

@D_Man might know the specifics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems to me, you slide them into the optic, lower it so they sit in the screw holes, and then slowly spin the heads by hand to get them started and most the way down.  If the side of the screw head sits slightly proud of the side of the body, you would just run your finger past to get it to spin a bit, then once id down all the way you use the tool to do final torque. Still would be a bit cumbersome since you need to spin both together or it will bind up one side, but at least once it's on it's over unless you change optics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screen_Shot_2023-07-25_at_4_37_36_PM_png-2897658.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screen_Shot_2023-07-25_at_4_37_36_PM_png-2897658.JPG

For tightening them, sure.

I'm more curious about how easy it will be to even start the threads, given you only have access to one side of the screw head.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Awesome. Glad to see them coming out with what everyone has been doing. I may start switching my pistols over to Trijicon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Hope it fits with my CROM mount for the 1301
But I would wait for the circle dot reticle anyway
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For tightening them, sure.

I'm more curious about how easy it will be to even start the threads, given you only have access to one side of the screw head.
View Quote

Speculation:

Both sides of the optic mirror each other
There is something akin to a T-rail that runs the width of the optic
Start the screws by hand on the slide
Slide the optic into position
Alternate tightening the screws using tool
As optic pulls onto slide of pistol, its front post cutouts self align with front mounting posts on slide
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#50]
It's a mailbox.
View Quote

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top