[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe Tom Cruises’s best role…
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
@FlamingDragon

Can't have a Tropic Thunder thread without you in it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would like to know who the real person the Les Grossman character is based on.

There is no way they would actually name him since I am sure he is wealthy, powerful, and is just as big of an asshole.

They would get the whole ‘scorched earth’ speech from the guys lawyer.

View Quote

"Many have speculated that Tom Cruise based his performance as a vulgar movie mogul on Sumner Redstone. He and Cruise had a public falling out after Redstone had Paramount Pictures terminate their development deal with Cruise. His physical appearance was more than likely based on this movie's producer, Stuart Cornfeld." IMDB Trivia

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"Many have speculated that Tom Cruise based his performance as a vulgar movie mogul on Sumner Redstone. He and Cruise had a public falling out after Redstone had Paramount Pictures terminate their development deal with Cruise. His physical appearance was more than likely based on this movie's producer, Stuart Cornfeld." IMDB Trivia

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/trivia/?ref_=tt_trv_trv
View Quote

I would have guessed Harvey Weinstein.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The legacy of this film is bittersweet as it shows us both highest highs of human achievement while reminding us how far we have fallen since that glorious apogee.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The legacy of this film is bittersweet as it shows us both highest highs of human achievement while reminding us how far we have fallen since that glorious apogee.
View Quote

We will probably get there again. Unless we all kill each other first. We just have to get to a place where the Karen’s and mental cases can be blown out an airlock without consequence.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Jamie Foxx once said in an interview that rdj has an honorary brother card, cause he was blacker then some black people he knows.  

Also best quote of the movie...

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seriously?

You can't swing a dead cat on ARFCOM -- or on the internet in general -- without hitting a Tropic Thunder meme.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never heard about this movie
Seriously?

You can't swing a dead cat on ARFCOM -- or on the internet in general -- without hitting a Tropic Thunder meme.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Some on Arfcom like to talk s**t about him because he's "weird". but he's great at what he does. Damn hard working actor who's played a lot of great roles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had no fucking idea that Les Grossman was played by Tom Cruise.

Great fucking movie.

Some on Arfcom like to talk s**t about him because he's "weird". but he's great at what he does. Damn hard working actor who's played a lot of great roles.

Cruise tends to play similar characters which relief on his natural charisma. Downey does the same thing. In TT, they both proved they could act outside their standard character type.
The fact so many people had trouble recognizing Cruise is high praise.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jamie Foxx once said in an interview that rdj has an honorary brother card, cause he was blacker then some black people he knows.  

Also best quote of the movie...

https://c.tenor.com/GMQgObki8R0AAAAC/tenor.gif

View Quote

RDJ earned his career comeback with this movie.

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#12]
<———-   Les is the best movie character of the past couple decades.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#13]
So, I have the basic DVD of this.

What is the best version to have on blu-ray?

I basically want every trailer, version, extended scenes, commentary, etc. in the best definition.

At some point in man’s post apocalyptic future, I want it found in my ancient, hidden buried bunker,
Where it becomes the basis for and site off a new religion that saves mankind and drives a renassiance out of the future dark ages.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Liked Jack Black in the movie but the scene where he was tied to tree? was the worst part of the movie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No mention of Jack Black working the pipe?   Let’s do this!

Liked Jack Black in the movie but the scene where he was tied to tree? was the worst part of the movie

JB almost ruined the movie.     Luckily there was enough talent to smooth it over.  

Jack Black is a C list hack who identifies as an actor and musician.  I’m a big fan.    It’s  almost inspirational how he willed himself into becoming a “star”.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

JB almost ruined the movie.     Luckily there was enough talent to smooth it over.  

Jack Black is a C list hack who identifies as an actor and musician.  I’m a big fan.    It’s  almost inspirational how he willed himself into becoming a “star”.
View Quote

Community - Jack Black Highlights
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<———-   Les is the best movie character of the past couple decades.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy does have talent when he's given a role that isn't "just be Jack Black, it'll be hilarious".

He absolutely killed it in Bernie, for example.

But he's one of those guys who is so distinctive it's hard to separate his character from himself, like Seth Rogan but with talent hiding underneath.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I think this may be the only movie I've ever stopped watching as it was just too stupid.

I even made it through Idiocracy even though it was painfully stupid.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think this may be the only movie I've ever stopped watching as it was just too stupid.

View Quote

I've noticed something about people who think Idiocracy is stupid...
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Lance.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats on having no sense of humor?

That was a joke, hopefully someone can explain it to you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They guy does have talent when he's given a role that isn't "just be Jack Black, it'll be hilarious".

But he's one of those guys who is so distinctive it's hard to separate his character from himself, like Seth Rogan but with talent hiding underneath.
View Quote

Seth Rogen is the male Amy Schumer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They guy does have talent when he's given a role that isn't "just be Jack Black, it'll be hilarious".

Damn....I'm not a Seth Rogen fan at all but I'm not sure I've ever disliked someone enough to make that analogy
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Damn....I'm not a Seth Rogen fan at all but I'm not sure I've ever disliked someone enough to make that analogy
View Quote

That's about how i feel about Will Ferrel
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

McConaughey didn't do a bad job either. Truly a work of art.
View Quote

His facial expressions as he's watching Les Grossman go off on the Flaming Dragon dude were priceless.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anchorman and a couple of bit roles are about the only things in which I've found him even slightly amusing.  He is way overrated.  Most of the time I can't stand him.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, I have the basic DVD of this.

What is the best version to have on blu-ray?

I basically want every trailer, version, extended scenes, commentary, etc. in the best definition.

At some point in man’s post apocalyptic future, I want it found in my ancient, hidden buried bunker,
Where it becomes the basis for and site off a new religion that saves mankind and drives a renassiance out of the future dark ages.
View Quote

I’m no expert and I haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn lately but i bought a Tropic Thunder DVD on Amazon the other day. I had it narrowed down to 2 offerings.

One offering was a 2 disc set containing one 4k “Theatrical” DVD and one BluRay “Directors Cut” DVD for $25.

The other offering I had it narrowed down to was a single BluRay Directors cut DVD for $14. This is what I chose. For me the unedited version and extras on the BluRay were more important.

The Theatrical version will have edits and probably none of the extras that you want. The Directors Cut will have the extras. Interviews, outtakes, and not chopped up and edited. You mentioned you wanted highest quality video. I did not see a 4k Directors Cut offering but I might have overlooked it.

@ramairthree

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked his character in the remake of The Jackal.

Especially the part where he quit smoking.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#33]
You kick in the door to my house all ants in your pants, sucking my left nut to get a TiVo scrap for the 3rd runner-up "sexiest man alive" 1998... And you're asking if I'm SERIOUS?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#34]
How about I send you a hobo’s dick cheese?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Because of this thread I re-watched this again a couple days ago...holds up.

RDJ has a bunch of quick scenes like that that were gold.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top