Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/12/2023 11:38:00 AM EDT
De Tukker sets sail
Attachment Attached File

Graceful 131' twin mast De Tukker was built in 1912 and can carry 70 tons of cargo.  Her initial route is Amsterdam - London - Porto, delivering Dutch chocolates with a crew of 10.  The operator, ecoClipper, is hoping that ye olde wind powered shipping will appeal to customers who are willing to massively overpay for ultimate eco bragging rights for their luxury green goods. They also plan, very likely in vain, to construct new build 3 mast clippers to carry 500 tons each in the future.

De Tukker can carry the equivalent weight of about two loaded 20' cargo containers with an initial crew of 10; the largest modern container ships carry 24,000 containers with a crew of 25.

Just as clippers did in the past De Tukker will also take passengers along on cargo runs, and prices are not very outrageous, ranging from 440 euros for 4 days voyage to 6,120 euros for 68 days (including time in harbor).  Evidently passengers are officially "trainees" and assigned a certain amount of work, with plans to run the ship with a professional crew of 5 and up to 12 "trainees" LINK .  If I lived in the region I might be tempted to pack some wool clothes and a couple Patrick O'Brian books and take one of the short legs; I'm pretty sure my curiosity would be entirely cured by four or five days sailing on the North Sea: https://ecoclipper.org/schedule/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Before being refit:
Schoeneraak 26.31,De Tukker
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes. Make the Cutty Sark great again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And run rum.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot. That's a dream job right there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That would actually be an interesting trip.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Needs a pirate flag.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
This is becoming more an more popular which is neat to keep this tradition and tech alive.

There is company with a sailing barge transporting produce from Vermont to NY and makes stops along the way to sell.

Here's another one
Help make Sail Cargo part of a Green 'New Normal'
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Can’t wait to dive that wreck.  I just hope they go down in warm water.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's cut down entire forests that consume CO2 to build tens of thousands of ships to save the world for CO2!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is becoming more an more popular which is neat to keep this tradition and tech alive.

There is company with a sailing barge transporting produce from Vermont to NY and makes stops along the way to sell.

View Quote

Traditional fine. As a way to keep global trade intact......

Well, I guess we can learn to live within the economy of the early 1800s.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It's cool for a novelty. I'd take a trip for a couple of days.

As a freight company it's a bit odd.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Heck yeah!
I really like the Cutty Sark, in fact I'm just starting to build a 1:96 scale model of it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let's cut down entire forests that consume CO2 to build tens of thousands of ships to save the world for CO2!!!
View Quote

Last time I looked outside trees continue to grow and are renewable.

I’m wondering what you wipe your girl parts with?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Was expecting something like this
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful little ship, but a stupid idea.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Hellllllll yes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]
While the idea is interesting, it would require a shit load of ships to even match the cargo capacity of a single container ship.  There is a reason why horse and buggy is no longer used out of very rare situations.  I swear these people that are pushing this shit really do want us living back in the 18th century with belt buckles on our shoes
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Savage
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Its the 1800s again! We're going backwards.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]
With ESG and other climate issues, sail is making a big comeback.  There are tons of sailing ships and barges that were sitting idle but are now finding a new life.

I love old sailing ships so I find it neat this is coming back.

This is the AVONTUUR, owned by the Timbercoast Transport Company and they have a ton of clients already and transport cargo worldwide.

This one is the cargo ship Kwai

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sigh. What the fuck is with your attitude and immediately knee jerk "you are a woman" reaction?

Really?

To sustain the current levels trade using modern container ships.....

How many ships capable of 2 to 20 cargo containers each would have to be constructed to replace the thousands of ships that carry 10000-25000 each?

You do also realize that in the past, to support shipbuilding in the 1600s onwards, vast forests were cut down, and that was not nearly as many ships.

Additionally the age and types those trees are not quickly grown or replaced.

But please, continue to call me a woman, moron, etc.

It makes you look very intelligent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I think it's a great idea because it forces people to face the reality that fossil fuels are what enables civilization.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Next they'll bring back whale oil lamps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/422/MR-1803153.gif
View Quote

I read that the sum total of whale oil estimated to have been harvested would have filled about two modern super tankers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#25]
That’s brilliant.

Not the whole plan, but the part where they replace half the crew with people who have to pay to work on the ship.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Redefining slow boat from Chyna.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shoot. That's a dream job right there.
View Quote

A Nightmare Job, but it would be enlightening to take the cruise and learn how tough and resilient the sailors of old truly were.  
Would really make us appreciate our comfy modern life.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I read that the sum total of whale oil estimated to have been harvested would have filled about two modern super tankers.
View Quote

And consider the entire global population in 1850 was around 1.25 billion, and how few of those people would have had access to even buy whale oil. Especially compared with the availability of petro fuels to a huge swath of the human population today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And run rum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And run rum.

And gold, and sail off the Florida coast from June to December.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

There’s been some awesome developments:
Boats are generally made of metal, and sometimes Fiberglass or even Cement…
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A Nightmare Job, but it would be enlightening to take the cruise and learn how tough and resilient the sailors of old truly were.  
Would really make us appreciate our comfy modern life.
View Quote

Shit, after sailing a 44 foot monohull Hirsch with two friends while on vacation taught me that sailing in comfortable conditions is hard and not without danger. Add distance, size and bad weather.....  NOPE.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
De Tukker sets sail
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/tukker_jpg-2814103.JPG

Graceful 131' twin mast De Tukker was built in 1912 and can carry 70 tons of cargo.  Her initial route is Amsterdam - London - Porto, delivering Dutch chocolates with a crew of 10.  The operator, ecoClipper, is hoping that ye olde wind powered shipping will appeal to customers who are willing to massively overpay for ultimate eco bragging rights for their luxury green goods. They also plan, very likely in vain, to construct new build 3 mast clippers to carry 500 tons each in the future.

De Tukker can carry the equivalent weight of about two loaded 20' cargo containers with an initial crew of 10; the largest modern container ships carry 24,000 containers with a crew of 25.

Just as clippers did in the past De Tukker will also take passengers along on cargo runs, and prices are not very outrageous, ranging from 440 euros for 4 days voyage to 6,120 euros for 68 days (including time in harbor).  Evidently passengers are officially "trainees" and assigned a certain amount of work, with plans to run the ship with a professional crew of 5 and up to 12 "trainees" LINK .  If I lived in the region I might be tempted to pack some wool clothes and a couple Patrick O'Brian books and take one of the short legs; I'm pretty sure my curiosity would be entirely cured by four or five days sailing on the North Sea: https://ecoclipper.org/schedule/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/Tukker-all-sails-set_Ecoclipper_jpg-2814101.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/tukker-on-deck-800x600-1_jpg-2814089.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/Tukker-header_jpg-2814091.JPG

Before being refit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGhonasuvYc
View Quote

too much urine drinking and picking the weavels out of ship's biscuits for me
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Please allow 4-8 months for delivery.
Like the god damn sea monkeys I ordered as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Imagine how many ESG points that earns, companies will be tripping over themselves to show they've shipped their goods using emissions free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I'm sure that is a viable business with enough government subsidies.  

I think I'll start a business hauling freight across country using horse and buggy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

One:
The lack of sense of humor in this place has become fucking disturbing.  

Two:
Again, regardless of the hull materials, how does cranking up mines, factories, mills, shipyards, etc to replace current ship capacity with smaller ships going to be more "eco friendly" than just using and maintaining existing fleets and shipping in economies of scale?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One:

Two:
Again, regardless of the hull materials, how does cranking up mines, factories, mills, shipyards, etc to replace current ship capacity with smaller ships going to be more "eco friendly" than just using and maintaining existing fleets and shipping in economies of scale?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One:

Two:

None of that has anything to do with it, this is just for rich people to flex on other less hip rich people.
The operator, ecoClipper, is hoping that ye olde wind powered shipping will appeal to customers who are willing to massively overpay for ultimate eco bragging rights for their luxury green goods.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

One:

Two:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One:

Two:

My sense of humor is still as robust as ever.   It was Your lack of humor, which caused you to miss the finely tuned ironically humorous reply, which brought us to this place.  

Build the ships with repurposed steerable blades off of Windmills.   That way the greenies are satisfied, and your “total energy outlay” outrage will be assuaged.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

None of that has anything to do with it, this is just for rich people to flex on other less hip rich people.
View Quote

While, yes, that is the likely end result of what this will be, this will attract eco warriors, morons and ignorant politicians to push for more eco-cargo ships. Oh, and more grifters.

But they are pushing it as a way to be "sustainable"

From their website:

OVERVIEW
Founded in 2018, EcoClipper aims to scale-up the existing sail cargo industry by introducing:

Purpose-built clipper ships. These ships are designed for deep-sea cargo haulage, seafarer training and passenger travel. The first of these is the EcoClipper500 series.
Retrofit vessels. These are existing ships which will be altered for sail cargo – thereby increasing capacity on various tailored, unique shipping lines.
Transport Industry Today
Maritime shipping accounts for 90% of global trade and 2.5% of greenhouse gas emissions. 940 million tonnes of CO2 is produced by the industry annually.

Using thousands of years of accumulated maritime knowledge, a team of experts and experience in the sail cargo industry, EcoClipper provides an answer. A Life Cycle Analysis completed in 2020 proves an EcoClipper ship will produce nearly 80% less carbon than a standard container vessel and 90% less carbon than a long-haul flight.

Jorne Langelaan, CEO and founder of EcoClipper, comes from a shipping background. Having sailed on both motor-cargo vessels and sailing ships, Jorne saw the necessity and potential of reducing emissions in shipping by using the power of wind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Bring back the slave ships. Ya know for history and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#42]
These sailing vessels will never replace something like below and they arent trying to.  They are filling small niche markets and allowing people to claim climate/green points.

I just like it cause I love old sail vessels.

The Ever Ace consumes 217 tons of fuel per day so these companies aren't winning any green points, its why they will sponsor or fund some of these small sail companies.  It allows them to score some ESG points while trying to keep attention of their massive container ships

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My sense of humor is still as robust as ever.   It was Your lack of humor, which caused you to miss the finely tuned ironically humorous reply, which brought us to this place.  

Build the ships with repurposed steerable blades off of Windmills.   That way the greenies are satisfied, and your “total energy outlay” outrage will be assuaged.
View Quote

Sorry, I did miss it. I am multi tasking at the moment, also watching MotoGP, answering emails and cleaning an Enfield No1.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Clipper ships = old n busted

Nuclear-powered steam ships = new hotness
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#45]
A crew of ten to move 70 tons.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You do also realize that in the past, to support shipbuilding in the 1600s onwards, vast forests were cut down, and that was not nearly as many ships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and many of those forests have never recovered. The UK, for example, which was a massive ship building center during the age of sail, was covered in ancient forests and they are entirely gone. There is now one, very small, forest which technically qualifies as ancient but only just and all of the large healthy trees were taken, leaving it full of weird, deformed trees. Looks like a bad fantasy movie set for generic spooky forest.

If it wasn't obvious that replacing container ships like this is retarded the deforestation would be utterly catastrophic and completely unsustainable despite "trees continuing to grow". Even if we planted a new tree immediately for every tree cut down there is no possibility that we could sustain the required ship building. Scale is difficult to grasp for the challenged.

Quoted:
Sigh. What the fuck is with your attitude and immediately knee jerk "you are a woman" reaction?

Insecure in his masculinity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Next they'll bring back whale oil lamps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/422/MR-1803153.gif
View Quote

Aaah.  Clean burning, renewable whale oil.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Hipsters please...

Here is ship rigged Garthsnaid on any given workday in the final days of sail in the early 20s.  Hauling low value cargos long distance was the last gasp.  Steamships were expensive and coal hungry,  so the last route for them to take was the wool trade from OZ/NZ to Europe .

(I have some pics like this hosted from a prior thread)

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#49]
[ ] Amazon Next Year Shipping
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps we should revisit pykrete?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top