Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Here is Cutty Sark waiting for a load of wool in the very  undeveloped Sydney Harbor.  (Circa 1880s)
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Came looking for one of these:

Attachment Attached File

Got one of these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's cut down entire forests that consume CO2 to build tens of thousands of ships to save the world for CO2!!!
View Quote

towards the end of the age of sail there were steel hulled tall ships.

Star of India
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Sailors back in the wooden ships and sails era were incredibly tough hombres....

I lived and worked Offshore for about half of my 44 year working the Oil Patch.  I was and still am scared of the Oceans. The Sea is relentless and savage.....

This is a great read.  

Do recommend.

" />
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Neat but dumb.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sigh. What the fuck is with your attitude and immediately knee jerk "you are a woman" reaction?

Really?

To sustain the current levels trade using modern container ships.....

How many ships capable of 2 to 20 cargo containers each would have to be constructed to replace the thousands of ships that carry 10000-25000 each?

You do also realize that in the past, to support shipbuilding in the 1600s onwards, vast forests were cut down, and that was not nearly as many ships.

Additionally the age and types those trees are not quickly grown or replaced.

But please, continue to call me a woman, moron, etc.

It makes you look very intelligent.
View Quote

You do realize you can make ships out of metal, too?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You do realize you can make ships out of metal, too?
View Quote

Already addressed, but yes. Running mines, steel mills, moving the steel and creating the shipyards to build tens of thousands of steel hulled sailboats is certainly eco-friendly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Fun engineering experiment.

I see few have done the math, furthermore would be neat to see what it'd take lumber wise to build 20k ai controlled clipper ships that run on free wind power.

Business is all about efficiency and making money, normally not about feels. If it works, it works.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A crew of ten to move 70 tons.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A crew of ten to move 70 tons.  

Good chance there's no noble purpose behind this, no real intention to be involved in shipping.

From https://ecoclipper.org/:

...EcoClipper has developed a strategy to establish a fleet of EcoClipper500 ships and Retrofit vessels. By building deep-sea clipper ships and transforming existing vessels into state-of-the-art sail cargo ships, EcoClipper will be able to supply solutions to the growing demand and encourage awareness of the sail cargo industry.

You can become a part of the EcoClipper Coöperatie U.A. By investing in (a minimum of 50) certificates, you will have ownership rights in the cooperative and become an active member of the most sustainable and innovative shipping company in the world.

Looking forward to having you on board!

Make it sound like you can "do you part" to combat (LOL) climate change by buying into the ludicrous idea of regressing back to wind powered shipping.

A scam...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its the 1800s again! We're going backwards.
View Quote

Yes! It’s finally happening! Plastic shit sucks anyway. Except for Glocks of course.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
First time I've ever seen a gaff topsail ketch called a clipper.

Neat little ship though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
just outfit the mega cargo ship with nuclear reactors like our subs and aircraft carriers. refuel ever 10 years give or take.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm cool with this.

You want to bring back American manufacturing?

Adding 6 weeks to the shipping time for Chinese crap will help.

(And yeah, I know that these services won't be used for Chinese crap, but will be used to ship handmade wool mittens from Sweden or whatever).

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
just outfit the mega cargo ship with nuclear reactors like our subs and aircraft carriers. refuel ever 10 years give or take.
View Quote

While I agree with the idea, my question would be about the engineering ability of the crews on the cargo ships.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
TLDR

Moving ocean cargo with wind?  What a time to be alive!

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While I agree with the idea, my question would be about the engineering ability of the crews on the cargo ships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Philippine merchant marine academy will offer a nuke class. It'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Just fucking great now that I'm too old to be a Pirate
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm okay with this
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its an interesting question for a country like chyna. they can (if they already havent) nationalize their 'merchant marine' and crew their cargo carriers with military organized crew. and then run their cargo ships on nukes instead of oil. there is no telling what would be required for a us company to build a nuke powered cargo ship.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.

I haven't sailed anything nearly that large, but just an extra bit of wind on a lake scared the F*CK out of me a few times.

I've seen the North Sea (from shore) and even then I was like, nope nope nope.  
View Quote

A few years ago I was riding the ferry between the south and north islands of NZ.

From port through sheltered waters of the South Island I was on the bow with others, getting a good look at everything around us.

Then we came out of the sheltered waters. There was the overwhelming sensation that we were now in an environment that was too much for any of us. The wind and waves were intense. The ferry started moving in ways that meant that I had to very carefully consider every step I took.

I was the last person off the bow. I held the door for others but that experience cured me of any desire to be a sailor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Perhaps a Waterworld Exxon Valdez with the Deacon in charge.

Would put allot of those greenies to work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Betting it still has a gas or diesel engine for when they don't have time to fuck around waiting for enough wind. Prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#26]
This is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These sailing vessels will never replace something like below and they arent trying to.  They are filling small niche markets and allowing people to claim climate/green points.

I just like it cause I love old sail vessels.

The Ever Ace consumes 217 tons of fuel per day so these companies aren't winning any green points, its why they will sponsor or fund some of these small sail companies.  It allows them to score some ESG points while trying to keep attention of their massive container ships

https://lirp.cdn-website.com/08d31351/dms3rep/multi/opt/312375-1-largest-container-ship-the-ever-ace-1920w.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Fire up the Endurance! How many of Shackleton and crew's ilk exist in modern times?

Sheets in the wind = awesome. But hauling cargo with sails in the 21st century? This world just keeps on getting dumber.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I read that the sum total of whale oil estimated to have been harvested would have filled about two modern super tankers.
View Quote

Save the whales, drill for oil!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well I'm sure that is a viable business with enough government subsidies.  

I think I'll start a business hauling freight across country using horse and buggy.
View Quote

I’m in, we’d make a fortune due to the immense green score.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Heck yeah!
I really like the Cutty Sark, in fact I'm just starting to build a 1:96 scale model of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Cutty_Sark_jpg-2814198.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes. Make the Cutty Sark great again.
Heck yeah!
I really like the Cutty Sark, in fact I'm just starting to build a 1:96 scale model of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Cutty_Sark_jpg-2814198.JPG

Got that kit.....and one of the Thermopoly
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#32]
- already mentioned by others -

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Neat but dumb.
View Quote

Been dun befo' - by Americans no less.  The first, and probably most famous in the sailing world, was the John F. Leavitt, which sank on its maiden voyage.

It's actually a fascinating story, captured in a film titled Coaster. The Adventure of the John F. Leavitt.  It's a bit long at an hour and a half, but it is an interesting story for those who are curious.

I started my marine career building wooden boats up in Maine, when the coastal schooner "craze" started to gain popularity.  I helped build the Dayspring at the North End boatyard in Rockland Maine, although I was just a simple laborer at the time, and didn't know much about building wooden boats, much less a 100ft+ schooner.  It ended up sinking as well.

If you are really looking to experience sailing a tall ship and pay for the privilege, I'd check out this site: The Maine Windjammer Association  If nothing else, the food is probably better.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Tall ships are objectively cool. Hope they stay in business.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Normally I'm not on board with climate crazies, but cargo ships pollute to an insane degree, and old time rigged ships are and always will be cool as hell. Carry on you glorious sea hippies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Welcome to your $200 chinese rubber dog doo.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm cool with this.

You want to bring back American manufacturing?

Adding 6 weeks to the shipping time for Chinese crap will help.

(And yeah, I know that these services won't be used for Chinese crap, but will be used to ship handmade wool mittens from Sweden or whatever).

View Quote

We make the finest wool mittens, well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Welcome to your $200 chinese rubber dog doo.

View Quote

Dollar General becomes Five Thousand Dollar Admiral
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Can’t imagine the amount of diesel fuel modern container ships consume…also can’t imagine why the GREENIES ignore this!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Can’t imagine the amount of diesel fuel modern container ships consume…also can’t imagine why the GREENIES ignore this!
View Quote

They basically used what was close to tar for a hell of a long time. [bunker fuel]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Converting a small cargo ship to sails would be better
Over the years there has been experimentation of using rotor sails

https://www.marineinsight.com/naval-architecture/flettner-rotor-for-ships-uses-history-and-problems/

“A rotor ship is a type of ship designed to use the Magnus effect for propulsion. The ship is propelled, at least in part, by large powered vertical rotors, sometimes known as rotor sails. German engineer Anton Flettner was the first to build a ship that attempted to tap this force for propulsion, and ships using his type of rotor are sometimes known as Flettner ships.”
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Backup engines?  Soon as out of pic range, stow the sails and start the diesels.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bring back the slave ships. Ya know for history and all that jazz.
View Quote

But call them Open Immigration Essential Worker ships!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#44]
They’d save the environment a lot more by adding a spinnaker to the front of cargo ships.  They’ve tried it before and found it can reduce fuel use by something like 2-5%. Which is actually a massive amount of bunker fuel saved and therefore emissions.  

Emissions of a cargo ship from China are greater than all the cars in the United States combined. So a 2% reduction is massive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#45]
eyepatch - check
parrot - check
sash-check
cutless- check
scurvy - check
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Real stupid and also really not environmentally friendly because it's crew of 10 to move such a small amount of cargo skews the carbon footprint of that operation into 'burning old tires in your backyard' territory.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/b1ff9576c9bea7e726ec65927465d42b-2723154.jpg

Hipsters please...

Here is ship rigged Garthsnaid on any given workday in the final days of sail in the early 20s.  Hauling low value cargos long distance was the last gasp.  Steamships were expensive and coal hungry,  so the last route for them to take was the wool trade from OZ/NZ to Europe .

(I have some pics like this hosted from a prior thread)
View Quote

Sorry, Admiral. I have acute acrophobia. But I'm a helluva cook!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#48]
A nuclear powered super tug could be used to push/pull or power cargo ships on a regular route
If the tug had a big loop that went near many ports it could set a “train” of ships that could drop off or join up to the train and not burn oil for the majority of the trip

Just an idea to think about
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I think it's pretty cool endeavor, even if they never turn a profit. I do hope they plan to avoid the Somali coast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its the 1800s again! We're going backwards.
View Quote

That's the goal, at least for anyone that isn't a billionaire.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top