Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, don't come to Arizona, it's too damn hot and we open carry spoons.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
I saw a guy that had 2 spoons! Nobody needs 2 spoons.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gallup, NM.
View Quote
Omg that’s a shithole.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I beg to differ, you can’t get MUCH more America than Las Vegas.
View Quote
If America was a High School, Vegas would be the corner across from the bus-loop where the losers and skanks hang out while cutting class.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife has family in the UK. Kinda weird, considering she's Mexican, but whatever, lol. They love going shooting and camping whenever they visit. It's mind blowing to them that I can own what I have and shoot it outside regulated ranges. They also think our vehicles and homes are completely over the top. It's hard to imagine being so space limited.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Visit the bomb museum at Elgin
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry I’m a northern monkey.  Don’t do the south.

This might help

https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk/cornwall/

All the paces I want to visit in the states are generally western filming locations always wanted to go to Wyoming and Arizona etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on!

Of course, most Americans haven’t even seen most of America. It’s a big place, and I think that’s what the majority of outsiders fail to realize. We’re more like the entire continent of Europe, not a singular country there in. Half as many people, but almost exactly the same size. I’ve explained it to some that way, seems to make more sense than trying to explain how or why our people are so diverse and hold differing beliefs.

This is also true.

Devonshire and Cornwall are on our list of places we still want to see in Europe. I want to ride the train.

ETA: @Pesty The railway that hugs the coast and crosses what used to be a salt marsh, drained now, and has a beach that’s a popular getaway spot. That’s the Royal Albert isn’t it?
Sorry I’m a northern monkey.  Don’t do the south.

This might help

https://greatscenicrailways.co.uk/cornwall/

All the paces I want to visit in the states are generally western filming locations always wanted to go to Wyoming and Arizona etc.
Put old Tucson studios on your list.

Monument valley, and the big 5 circle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
If they come to Alaska keep them out of Anchorage.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You haven't seen America till you've seen Slapout, AL.
View Quote
There is a Slapout, OK. too.

I think the population is 7.

We don’t see many Brits visiting OK.  Can’t imagine why not?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep them wankers in those shithole cities I avoid. I like that plan
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ve tried to collect magnets or coffee cups from each of the National Parks I’ve been to. But I haven’t been to Glacier. What’s Trinity? AZ or COL Park I’m forgetting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

glacier crushes yellowstone.  if you've been to glacier, you got a sense of just how old the earth is.

i really want to see trinity and hoover.
I’ve tried to collect magnets or coffee cups from each of the National Parks I’ve been to. But I haven’t been to Glacier. What’s Trinity? AZ or COL Park I’m forgetting?
Colorado: Rocky Mountain National Park and Mesa Verde NP.  The San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado don't need no stinkin' national park, beautiful scenery everywhere.  Colorado's being loved to death, though.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tennessee, and not just Nashville. Get out into the country. Come in the fall and go to a county fair. Do some fishing or hunting. See Lynchburg and Jack Daniel's place. See the Appalachian mountains. Not Gatlinburg, but the mountains around there. Hang out with the real American people no matter what state you visit. I'm down with health issues right now but any foreign arfcommers that come to Tennessee can contact me. I'll put them onto some local fun, and when I'm better I'll join them on some adventures.
View Quote
I love that area, ready to go back.
I would go there about once a year when I lived in Alabama.
Living in Florida I cant get there as much.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will.

I’ll be going to Arizona at some point. possibly next year,

My cousin lives where they filmed one of my favourite westerns , Johnny guitar
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
My business partner owns a ranch in Halfway, Oregon . . which has a population of about 500 people and is about as rural and red blooded American as you can get.  They get tons of tourists from Austria who want to walk rural mountain trails in America.

I also met a German once who told me that it's a huge thing for Germans to fly to NY, rent Harleys and ride across the country.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Colorado: Rocky Mountain National Park and Mesa Verde NP.  The San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado don't need no stinkin' national park, beautiful scenery everywhere.  Colorado's being loved to death, though.  
View Quote
I did see some Colorado immigrantion and tourist articles that shocked me earlier this year
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree.

However how many Americans think London = Britain.
View Quote
You're not wrong.

My wife and I are still planning to visit our son in Bury St. Edmunds later this year.  We had to change our plans due to an upcoming deployment for him, back to this side of the pond.  Yes, we will spend a day or two in London and take the train to Edinburgh for two days then on to Inverness for two or three days, but we plan to spend most of our time in and around Bury and enjoy that corner of Britain.  We might even go back over the following year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
In the context of this thread:  Death Valley Germans
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's a bit of a pandemic going on. UK tourists insist on visiting our fair shores (which is fine, I guess...), but they defiantly insist on congregating in large numbers on holiday in:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

That's all well and good, but they keep returning home (often making YouTube videos) and saying "As a world traveller, I've been to America and...". No. You fucking haven't, you miserable twat.

So then, I feel like it's our duty as Americans, to advise our UK cousins on where they should be booking flights. Because the 5 I've mentioned (and the 5 they insist on visiting) aren't America. We can all agree on that, yes? Right. So let's help them out.

And...go!
View Quote
I endorse this post.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Their reputation as a bunch of drunken assholes while on vacation equals or surpasses those of other countries, I’ve found. From Normandy to Thailand, my family and I have bumped into them, and they’re all the same.... buffoons.
View Quote
All Europeans at the restaurants and places in and around Orlando Florida airport, Russians in Paris and Germans in NYC have been my most obnoxious experiences. Although the civilian Brits doing weekend binging in Amsterdam did catch my attention. Americans were embarrassing in Tokyo
Patrice O'Neal at the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival (2004)
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Cities have their attractions, but I prefer the above.

You get to speak with people and take in the natural beauty with other like minded people who love the great outdoors. It’s nice to have the head-space to take in the sights, sounds and smells of the natural environment.

You may find a lot of people flock to the cities because they are so heavily marketed, and some States have the theme parks and other attractions. Great for family holidays

The people who head out into the natural world are probably less obvious and probably go un-noticed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gallup, NM.
View Quote
I like Gallup.  Bought a Stetson there...  
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree.

However how many Americans think London = Britain.
View Quote
Truth. I always go off into the countryside and small towns when abroad.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Or Bugscuffle, TN

Or Hot Coffee, MS
View Quote
I used to live near Bugscuffle as a youth. Nice area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#24]
The colonial east coast
Savannah, GA
Gulf Shores
New Orleans
The Mississippi River, especially the lower
A baseball game at Busch Stadium, St Louis, MO
The Kentucky Bourbon Trail
Mammoth Cave National Park
The Smoky Mountains
The Black Hills in South Dakota
Hog hunting in South Texas
Dallas-Fort Worth
The Grand Canyon
Snow skiing in the Rockies
Yellowstone
Northern California
The Cascade Mountains
Alaska
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Detroit is beautiful this time of year and the chicken is to die for.
View Quote
You have NOT been to Detroit until you have visited the ever popular Del Ray area!  Just go armed....
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They should take a trip to southwestern WV. They probably won’t come back after that.
View Quote
@Malo308
You mean the area near Logan? That's my wife's hometown.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Shit. Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All Europeans at the restaurants and places in and around Orlando Florida airport, Russians in Paris and Germans in NYC have been my most obnoxious experiences. Although the civilian Brits doing weekend binging in Amsterdam did catch my attention. Americans were embarrassing in Tokyo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxH954K9lBs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their reputation as a bunch of drunken assholes while on vacation equals or surpasses those of other countries, I’ve found. From Normandy to Thailand, my family and I have bumped into them, and they’re all the same.... buffoons.
All Europeans at the restaurants and places in and around Orlando Florida airport, Russians in Paris and Germans in NYC have been my most obnoxious experiences. Although the civilian Brits doing weekend binging in Amsterdam did catch my attention. Americans were embarrassing in Tokyo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxH954K9lBs
Many of the Brits we encountered in Normandy were well-lubricated from drinking up the entirety of the Portsmouth Ferry's beer supply, and then started in on France's stash of booze. They filled the cafe tables with their loud, boorish behavior, but I had an amusing encounter with a few of them in Bayeux.

I was twisting the wire off of a bottle of Norman cider, when it popped off and flew into a table of drunken Englishmen. They were behind me and all I heard after the pop was 'What the FUCK??" I stood up and was preparing my most diplomatic apology when one of the hooligans also stood up, handed back the cork, and said 'cheers, mate'. We nodded to each other, then sat down and had our beverages.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Many of the Brits we encountered in Normandy were well-lubricated from drinking up the entirety of the Portsmouth Ferry's beer supply, and then started in on France's stash of booze. They filled the cafe tables with their loud, boorish behavior, but I had an amusing encounter with a few of them in Bayeux.

I was twisting the wire off of a bottle of Norman cider, when it popped off and flew into a table of drunken Englishmen. They were behind me and all I heard after the pop was 'What the FUCK??" I stood up and was preparing my most diplomatic apology when one of the hooligans also stood up, handed back the cork, and said 'cheers, mate'. We nodded to each other, then sat down and had our beverages.
View Quote
75th anniversary of D-day this year. It’s going to get crowded there this summer
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
75th anniversary of D-day this year. It’s going to get crowded there this summer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were there ten years ago and it was nuts, but a great time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought American tourists had the worst reputation
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Unfortunately, the facts are the facts and you can't change facts because of wishful thinking. As much as I wish that those commie cities were not real and only existed in a communist's Utopian imagination, unfortunately they are real and a geographical part of America.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tennessee, and not just Nashville.
View Quote
Gatlinburg.

In mid-July.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheeeeiiiit.

The English are as bad or worse, and are catching up to us in the 'fat tourist' department, too. It was easy to spot Americans and English in Normandy by their size, but their clothing was the difference. If they were fat but dressed for the chilly winds common in late May & June, they were Brits. If they were fat but wore flip-flops, cargo shorts, pajamas in public, general sloppiness, and looking cold, they were Yanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
if someone really wanted to see america, the following is my train of thought (moving generally east to west):

-new hampshire or delaware

-boston

-some of the old coastal towns in VA and the carolinas

-savannah GA

-cape canaveral

-the FL keys

-the appalachians and cumberland

-rural west virginia

-small-town iowa or nebraska

-hot springs AR

-the gulf coast.  not the white sands FL version, but the MS/LA version

-new orleans

-the italian/eastern european parts of chicago.

-the great plains.  horse country.  brits are a nautical people who love the desert because it's like an ocean--they'll appreciate the GP.

-yellowstone and glacier parks.

-western CO, in the real working areas rather than the resort areas.

-NASA in houston

-fort worth TX--the city that cattle built.

-the southwest.  make them drive through TX, NM, and AZ.  climbing up into flagstaff, and feeling the temperature drop on your skin.

-white sands missile range.

-hoover dam

-yosemite and lake tahoe

-the beach towns in CA

-northern CA and the redwoods

that's a start...
View Quote
Excellent choices.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They are stupid as they come....

I help out at a gun range in Budapest and many come with their dumb as rocks Stag and Hen parties and we keep telling them to stop pointing the guns at each other and pulling triggers.

I've asked my boss multiple times to kick them out if they do and no refunds but they are afraid of losing customers who will give shitty reviews on Trip Advisor and Viago.

Let them stay in their fucked up island and drink to a stupor and play roulette with their drugs.
View Quote
Send me the name of the range you work at and I'll be sure to pass on the information that UK stag and hen parties are not welcome.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fly Emirates jerseys.

See Brits all over Florida and always one person in their group is wearing one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are you under some illusion anyone from Britain thinks the totality of the US is some major cities? I doubt they think that.  Many Britons live in small towns and countrysides also.

I know several foreign people who have visited smaller areas, the south, etc, and loved it.

Major cities in every country are the big tourist destinations, this isn’t some revelation or unique to the US.

Orlando is full of them too...I used to live an hour away, Brits were all over the place and you could spot them from a mile away as they looked and dressed very British.
Fly Emirates jerseys.

See Brits all over Florida and always one person in their group is wearing one.
Arsenal football shirt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#38]
According to Tennessee Williams: “America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans.
Everywhere else is Cleveland.”
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Spot on!

Of course, most Americans haven't even seen most of America. It's a big place, and I think that's what the majority of outsiders fail to realize. We're more like the entire continent of Europe, not a singular country there in. Half as many people, but almost exactly the same size. I've explained it to some that way, seems to make more sense than trying to explain how or why our people are so diverse and hold differing beliefs.

This is also true.

Devonshire and Cornwall are on our list of places we still want to see in Europe. I want to ride the train.

ETA: @Pesty The railway that hugs the coast and crosses what used to be a salt marsh, drained now, and has a beach that's a popular getaway spot. That's the Royal Albert isn't it?
View Quote
Scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam.

Exquisite.

I enjoyed my (tourist) visit to the UK, and I found that having a smattering of the language helped quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will.

There’s a place in West Texas where they filmed John Wayne movies, Alamo Village, the sets are still there, or were there 20 years ago. Neat place.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Gallup, NM.
View Quote
Vaughn NM for the win!
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I apologize to all of the limey window lickers on here.

My comments were uncalled for but it is just my vented anger at some of your compatriots that come here to my father's homeland and treats it like dirt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And I just hit town and my throat was dry....
View Quote
Well played.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They should take a trip to southwestern WV. They probably won’t come back after that.
View Quote
Ashland, KY is beautiful this time of year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There's a bit of a pandemic going on. UK tourists insist on visiting our fair shores (which is fine, I guess...), but they defiantly insist on congregating in large numbers on holiday in:

1. New York City
2. Las Vegas
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami

That's all well and good, but they keep returning home (often making YouTube videos) and saying "As a world traveller, I've been to America and...". No. You fucking haven't, you miserable twat.

So then, I feel like it's our duty as Americans, to advise our UK cousins on where they should be booking flights. Because the 5 I've mentioned (and the 5 they insist on visiting) aren't America. We can all agree on that, yes? Right. So let's help them out.

And...go!
View Quote
I get your point.  But, who gives a fuck what they think?  Most of them love being in the eu.  Fuck them?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My comments were uncalled for but it is just my vented anger at some of your compatriots that come here to my father's homeland and treats it like dirt.
View Quote
That ain’t all of us, as you say.   It’s embarrassing for us as well.

I’ve been all over the world, including Hungary, and believe that as a tourist and a guest in someone else’s country I am an ambassador for my own country.  I want to see and experience the culture, food, sights and people, and do so respectfully and with good grace.

Sadly it is not a trait shared by all Brits, some of whom have a notorious capacity for getting shitfaced and making fools of themselves as their inhibitions are washed away by alcohol.

As always, the minority tend to be the loudest and get noticed.  The majority will go unnoticed because they don’t behave like idiots and are there to see and do a lot more than propping up a bar.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@Malo308
You mean the area near Logan? That's my wife's hometown.
View Quote
Not necessarily, that’s a little too civilized. Maybe more like Iager or War. And don’t get me wrong, I work in and around those counties, mostly Wyoming county and I love it. A lot of those folks would give you the shirt off their back if you asked.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every country has its segment that should be kept at home.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's my must visit list:
Coc#6
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top