Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Imaging all those COPs in Afghanistan if they only had 7.62.

I believe the 10th mountain division had one battle where they ran Black on everything but 5.56, they also killed a ton of guys during it if I'm remembering the story right.

Imagine if they had nothing but 7.62/.50/40mm, they would all be dead today.
View Quote
Thank you Sir, better to have .22 than not have .30.  

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope whoever chose the p320 as the Army's sidearm isn't on the same panel that chooses the next rifle. If they are we may never win another war!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
BRB going to make a video that shows an AR15 will go off if you drop it
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Randy Shugart's use of an M-14 seems to be a case against 7.62 and for 5.56.

According to open source reports the Blackhawk was not over run until all the rifle ammo had been expended.

Paul Howe is obviously a great shot but he was using irons in Mogadishu.
View Quote
Shugart wasn't an assaulter, he was in the Recce Troop, he was a sniper and his job during all missions in Mog was to provide aerial fire support using precision fires while the MH-60 circled overhead. He chose to use an M14 while others were using CAR-15s but his circumstances are nothing like a traditional infantryman. Apples and oranges.

Paul Howe was a plus decade long veteran of CAG and had done numerous combat deployments with them before being deployed to Task Force Ranger as an Assaulter Platoon Team Leader. Are you suggesting he didn't know how to use iron sights? Those dudes got 10-30,000 rds a month of training ammo for just carbine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BRB going to make a video that shows an AR15 will go off if you drop it
View Quote
You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't do it
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because we don't have forts built out of m993 and SLAP.

That's why 7.62 is the answer to Milley.
View Quote

I get that, I watched the P&S modcast too. I'm not asking what logistically makes sense, I'm asking purely about performance of AP ammo. I have to believe the military tested both ammo against SAPI and ESAPI and even XSAPI. I wonder what the results were.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shugart wasn't an assaulter, he was in the Recce Troop, he was a sniper and his job during all missions in Mog was to provide aerial fire support using precision fires while the MH-60 circled overhead. He chose to use an M14 while others were using CAR-15s but his circumstances are nothing like a traditional infantryman. Apples and oranges.

Paul Howe was a plus decade long veteran of CAG and had done numerous combat deployments with them before being deployed to Task Force Ranger as an Assaulter Platoon Team Leader. Are you suggesting he didn't know how to use iron sights? Those dudes got 10-30,000 rds a month of training ammo for just carbine.
View Quote
Are you suggesting Paul Howe is a super human, incapable of flinching or missing as people try to kill you?

I bet you think it took 100 goat herders to kill the 4 SEALs in Red Wings to...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What is wrong with the 6.5 Grendel?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a dumb caliber.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is a known fact that even technically dead people can continue to fight after being shot.

Case in point, my ex-business partner was in Somalia with an NGO and was ambushed by the Kenyan border.  His Somali driver took a 12.7mm to the torso but still drove out of the ambush while returning fire out the window with a pistol.  The driver died but stayed in the fight for a critical minute.

There is no magic bullet (at least in small arms).  

No small arms caliber guarantees that the target will be 'dead right there'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the guys who spent his career in Ranger Regiment and other elements within SOF mentioned it, but there is no open video footage I'm aware of.

I do know for a fact that most of the events were monitored heavily with several different aerial surveillance platforms.

Take a civilian author interviewing the few people he could for the book, and do the math.

Is he going to be talking with guys in the unit, or first-term guys in Battalion the most?

What makes a more catching story?  Elite career shooters with over a decade of SOF experience average make hits consistently and the enemy goes down or....

....Mattel death rifle doesn't kill enemy because it's too weak and anemic.

Another older guy who has a career covering the Grenada invasion through GWOT, with real-world deployments with actual witnessing and creating effects on target with M193, M855, SOST, Mk.262, 70gr TSX, and M855A1 said they never had a problem stacking enemy like corkwood with any of the different loads, and it wasn't until Bowden's book that the BS gained traction and spread throughout the gun community and military like wildfire.
Its been a while since I've read the book but I know the primary one mentioning M855 performance issues was MSG Paul Howe (then still an SFC), a CAG assaulter. Then there was the Randall Shughart's M14, but he was a CAG sniper not an assaulter. The only first-term Ranger I can recall that even mentioned terminal ballistics issues was attributed I think to SPC Nelson, an M60 gunner, who was center punching Somali with a belt fed and they weren't reacting. While Bowden doesn't mention it other sources of the battle I've read state some Ranger M60s (CAG was using FN MAGs) were shooting SLAP to deal with the technical vehicle threat and to penetrate other cover, and that can probably explain the soft tissue ice picking. Also, there is the issue of Khat fueled militants might not react as they should when they're dead on their feet, but Somali warlord fighters were notorious addicts, the battle happened at the exact time the effects from the morning chew sessions would kick in.

M855 isn't nearly as bad as social media made it out to be, but I think at this point we can agree that M855 does have some issues shot out of a shorter barrel (and Howe was using a 14.5" CAR-15), with issues of fleet yaw and velocity thresholds for reliable fragmentation. But Howe isn't anti-5.56, that's all he uses nowadays while training, which should be a testament that he likes the platform.
It is a known fact that even technically dead people can continue to fight after being shot.

Case in point, my ex-business partner was in Somalia with an NGO and was ambushed by the Kenyan border.  His Somali driver took a 12.7mm to the torso but still drove out of the ambush while returning fire out the window with a pistol.  The driver died but stayed in the fight for a critical minute.

There is no magic bullet (at least in small arms).  

No small arms caliber guarantees that the target will be 'dead right there'.
I wholeheartedly agree. I've seen Iraqis take ridiculous amounts of rounds to critical places that should have dropped them instanted, like heart and liver and lungs all riddled with rounds but the fuckers got a block away before sitting against a wall in an alley and finally dying. I guess human are like deer sometimes. CNS or just accept the fact that people you shoot and kill might not die in front of you.

I think Bowden and others blew up something Howe mentioned as a valid criticism during the formal AAR/hot wash that CAG did following the fight and stuff he mentioned in Bowden's book because he was pissed that nobody in JSOC was taking the AAR issues seriously. Then those comments were blown up out of proportion into a political talking point against 5.56 as a whole, which is bullshit. I really couldn't ask for a better caliber knowing what I know now, especially with new ammo. Most valid criticism I had when I was in Iraq with my M4 and M855 ammo was that it wasn't all that great against car windows and mud courtyard or house walls. But M855A1 does much better with the former and it turns out even .50 BMG can't do the latter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Needs a larger bolt for longevity.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Col Milley was one of my BCs in Korea, and supported out efforts to institute a DM program in the line companies.

That said, I'm not on board with this push for 7.62 NATO rifles for every swinging Joe in Brigade Combat Teams.

If they do a test platoon at Benning, be prepared to hear nothing but complaints when Joes and NCOs start stacking mags on their vests.

There's going to be some major suckage going on.

This idea is monstrously retarded and I originally thought it was an April fools' joke.

Nope, they're dead serious.

Defeating body armor is the stated reason, yet defeating body armor is not how you produce casualties.

There's this funny thing that soldiers do when shot at.  When you hear rounds cracking by your face and spitting secondary frag all over, you want to find a hole and crawl in it if you can, but since you can't, you get behind something.  Partial exposures and runners is what you might see, maybe 3-7% (at best) of a dismounted infantry unit will actually see the enemy, whether in urban or green.

Units that use more optics and stand-off distances get to observe the enemy more, which nowadays means more aerial platforms and armor, along with Snipers and FOs.

For partial exposures, the armor worn on the chest is rarely even in presentation.  Helmets, faces, and arms are the most common exposed targets.

7.62 NATO AP does nothing to address this that 5.56 doesn't do, especially M855A1.

If they actually issue 7.62 NATO rifles en masse and take away M4s, you will see a rise in small arms-related kills after overrun of their positions due to running black on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Col Milley was one of my BCs in Korea, and supported out efforts to institute a DM program in the line companies.

That said, I'm not on board with this push for 7.62 NATO rifles for every swinging Joe in Brigade Combat Teams.

If they do a test platoon at Benning, be prepared to hear nothing but complaints when Joes and NCOs start stacking mags on their vests.

There's going to be some major suckage going on.

This idea is monstrously retarded and I originally thought it was an April fools' joke.

Nope, they're dead serious.

Defeating body armor is the stated reason, yet defeating body armor is not how you produce casualties.

There's this funny thing that soldiers do when shot at.  When you hear rounds cracking by your face and spitting secondary frag all over, you want to find a hole and crawl in it if you can, but since you can't, you get behind something.  Partial exposures and runners is what you might see, maybe 3-7% (at best) of a dismounted infantry unit will actually see the enemy, whether in urban or green.

Units that use more optics and stand-off distances get to observe the enemy more, which nowadays means more aerial platforms and armor, along with Snipers and FOs.

For partial exposures, the armor worn on the chest is rarely even in presentation.  Helmets, faces, and arms are the most common exposed targets.

7.62 NATO AP does nothing to address this that 5.56 doesn't do, especially M855A1.

If they actually issue 7.62 NATO rifles en masse and take away M4s, you will see a rise in small arms-related kills after overrun of their positions due to running black on ammo.
View Quote
Don't forget they want a 20" gun as well going by their scoring standards.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting Paul Howe is a super human, incapable of flinching or missing as people try to kill you?

I bet you think it took 100 goat herders to kill the 4 SEALs in Red Wings to...
View Quote
Don't play that game with me Human Resources clerk, you really don't want to throw down. Besides, I'm not even saying anything you actually disagree with your central point. 5.56 is fine.

But comparing a couple of vanilla white team SDV SEAL guys, completely untrained in recon who basically committed suicide by fucked up planning and execution, to the innate abilities of a senior NCO and TL in SFOD-D is fucking stupid. Paul Howe was a professional killer in every sense of the word. He knew how to utilize the equipment he possessed. Did he miss at time? Of course he did, but I'm not playing the Korean War M1 Carbine bullshit with him, because there is no fucking way that dude wasn't hitting some targets.
*I posted pretty extensively about Red Wings years ago, like here

Besides the point, Howe is right. Lowered velocity from 14.5" and varying angles in which the target presents itself creates fleet yaw issues with M855 that cause a failure to fragment, meaning ice pick and no tumbling.

And that was probably the only time he was ever shooting people high as fuck on equivalent to Walter White level meth so that takes some getting used to. Hell, its a near foregone conclusion nowadays that if we're fighting Jihadis anywhere there is a good chance they are going to be high on a combat cocktail of provigil, opiates, meth, etc. We know it now and that helps us understand what we will see in combat in the future in terms of putting dicks in dirt. But they didn't know that then because Americans in 1993 didn't have the experience and data for terminal ballistics against jacked up Somali gunmen for hire in the middle of their daily tweeker binge.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a dumb caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a dumb caliber.
Fucking lol'd

Can't wait for the 300blk boys to show
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Besides the point, he's right. Lowered velocity from 14.5" and varying angles in which the target presents itself creates fleet yaw issues with M855 that cause a failure to fragment, meaning ice pick and no tumbling.

View Quote
Problem solved.
Attachment Attached File

Although according to my Recon Marine buddy M855A1 ice picks jihadis and Mk318 blows giant 2-4" holes in them....I rolled my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever look at a SCAR-H bolt?

Metallurgy deals with this, but you could cut costs for bolt material by making a slightly larger bolt like the SCAR-L bolt size, which requires a slightly larger barrel extension, which requires a slightly larger upper receiver tunnel for the barrel extension, which requires a larger thread OD for the barrel nut, which requires different handguard dimensions.

Or you could just address it with metallurgy and processes like Bill A. and Colt did (7.62x39 Sporter).

POF has an AR15 chambered in .308 with an AR15 bolt head, really thin walls, but uses AerMet similar to the LMT enhanced.

I'm still an advocate for something like Grendel for DMs and LMGs if they don't buy into LSAT, not every dismounted combat arms soldier in a Combat Brigade like they're crazy talking with this 7.62 NATO abortion idea.

It's like they forgot that you have:

PLs (don't shoot, should be shooting in most cases, and when they do shoot, it's close range personal defense)
PSGs (runs logistics more than anything, while advising the PL and coaching, mentoring, developing the Squad Leaders and Team Leaders)
FOs (FOs don't shoot their weapons unless being overrun or chance contact at close range)
Combat Medics (same as above)

Grenadiers:  Are we going to underling 230s on a 12lb 7.62 NATO rifle before optics and accessories?  Show me on the Grenadier's load where you're going to stack a basic load of magazines for his 7.62 NATO rifle, in addition to his 40mm bombs.

Ammo Bearers for Gun Teams?
Assistant Gunners? (most important weapon is the binos, but most units don't understand this and maybe give it lip service)

Combat Engineers? (clearing obstacles and breaching barriers are more their focus, not engaging targets with their rifles at distance)
K-9 Handlers? (they need CQBR M4A1 or smaller, suppressed)

There is something seriously wrong with this latest obsession with 7.62 NATO rifles that throws everything we know out the window related to how we are organized and fight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Problem solved.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414147/IMG_20170608_140758-275881.JPG

Although according to my Recon Marine buddy M855A1 ice picks jihadis and Mk318 blows giant 2-4" holes in them....I rolled my eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides the point, he's right. Lowered velocity from 14.5" and varying angles in which the target presents itself creates fleet yaw issues with M855 that cause a failure to fragment, meaning ice pick and no tumbling.

Problem solved.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414147/IMG_20170608_140758-275881.JPG

EPM's suck, get a PMAG
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ever look at a SCAR-H bolt?

Metallurgy deals with this, but you could cut costs for bolt material by making a slightly larger bolt like the SCAR-L bolt size, which requires a slightly larger barrel extension, which requires a slightly larger upper receiver tunnel for the barrel extension, which requires a larger thread OD for the barrel nut, which requires different handguard dimensions.

Or you could just address it with metallurgy and processes like Bill A. and Colt did (7.62x39 Sporter).

POF has an AR15 chambered in .308 with an AR15 bolt head, really thin walls, but uses AerMet similar to the LMT enhanced.

I'm still an advocate for something like Grendel for DMs and LMGs if they don't buy into LSAT, not every dismounted combat arms soldier in a Combat Brigade like they're crazy talking with this 7.62 NATO abortion idea.

It's like they forgot that you have:

PLs (don't shoot, should be shooting in most cases, and when they do shoot, it's close range personal defense)
PSGs (runs logistics more than anything, while advising the PL and coaching, mentoring, developing the Squad Leaders and Team Leaders)
FOs (FOs don't shoot their weapons unless being overrun or chance contact at close range)
Combat Medics (same as above)

Grenadiers:  Are we going to underling 230s on a 12lb 7.62 NATO rifle before optics and accessories?  Show me on the Grenadier's load where you're going to stack a basic load of magazines for his 7.62 NATO rifle, in addition to his 40mm bombs.

Ammo Bearers for Gun Teams?
Assistant Gunners? (most important weapon is the binos, but most units don't understand this and maybe give it lip service)

Combat Engineers? (clearing obstacles and breaching barriers are more their focus, not engaging targets with their rifles at distance)
K-9 Handlers? (they need CQBR M4A1 or smaller, suppressed)

There is something seriously wrong with this latest obsession with 7.62 NATO rifles that throws everything we know out the window related to how we are organized and fight.
View Quote
Ain't nobody got time fo dat! 7.62 all the things!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
EPM's suck, get a PMAG
View Quote
I have 160 Pmags.

I was just testing my lonely 11 EPMs that day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have 160 Pmags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EPM's suck, get a PMAG
I have 160 Pmags.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]
so there's a need to see M995 vs Level IV body armor? Does it matter if it's a commercial level IV, or should I be sourcing the latest SAPI variant?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so there's a need to see M995 vs Level IV body armor? Does it matter if it's a commercial level IV, or should I be sourcing the latest SAPI variant?
View Quote
I think any NIJ IV would work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
NIJ is NIJ, right? What is the closest rating for ESAPI?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#25]
so, is there any data about whether M855A1 defeats the armor that GEN Milley wants to defeat with 7.62?  I hear all these wonderful things about M855A1, and it's like GEN Milley never heard of it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#26]
......About time..!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
It gets tricky.. NIJ is minimum standards. EX some lower end level IVs will literally take 1 hit of M2AP and blow into bits of useless garbage... There are Level IV plates that will stop 6 rounds of M2AP and still probably stop other lesser threats. There are many in between. 

The M993 test I had done, AR500 Armor's plate couldn't stop it, and what penetrated did 20"+ of gel. the RMA 1145# still failed to stop it, but overall penetration of what penetrated was less than that of AR500 Armors.  If every agrees that to be fair against the M993 test, I can repeat it with the same plates I used in that test; RMA 1145/55 and the AR500 Armor Level IV. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a dumb caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a dumb caliber.
Can you show the math on how you reach that conclusion?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It gets tricky.. NIJ is minimum standards. EX some lower end level IVs will literally take 1 hit of M2AP and blow into bits of useless garbage... There are Level IV plates that will stop 6 rounds of M2AP and still probably stop other lesser threats. There are many in between. 

The M993 test I had done, AR500 Armor's plate couldn't stop it, and what penetrated did 20"+ of gel. the RMA 1145# still failed to stop it, but overall penetration of what penetrated was less than that of AR500 Armors.  If every agrees that to be fair against the M993 test, I can repeat it with the same plates I used in that test; RMA 1145/55 and the AR500 Armor Level IV. 
View Quote
I think what people would like to see is realistic combat ranges, or limiting the velocity to replicate it. 100-300 meters.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Level IV-ish?  lol.  Mil requires 30-06 AP protection(three hit survivability).

It doesn't translate cleanly IMHO, until level V and VI(LOL) are researched. Really wish I could give specific info, worked for an armor company as a QA for a bit. Although I think they want tight lips for the other products we made beyond basic plates.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think what people would like to see is realistic combat ranges, or limiting the velocity to replicate it. 100-300 meters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To shoot heads and arms that are partially exposed, which reduces the range down to 200 and less in most cases.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To shoot heads and arms that are partially exposed, which reduces the range down to 200 and less in most cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I agree it isn't necessary for infantry combat, I'm just curious. We bought it from the Swedes and I'm guessing it was penetrating the older Russian titanium ceramic steel vests but I have no idea what M993/995's actual capacity is in terms of NIJ standards.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
NIJ doesn't test at those distances, and doesn't the army perform all of their testing at 25'? But I do understand why someone would want to see that.

On that end, I already know of a Level IV (RMA #1199) plate that defeats M995 @ 100m simulated velocity.  This was tested at an actual ballistic lab.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
so, is there any data about whether M855A1 defeats the armor that GEN Milley wants to defeat with 7.62?  I hear all these wonderful things about M855A1, and it's like GEN Milley never heard of it.
View Quote
M855A1 blows holes in flesh, it however is not an AP round. It's a ball round.

M80A1 is the 7.62 equivalent, it also is not an AP round and cannot defeat body armor any better than it's 5.56 brother.

However as LRRPF has said, in combat the head, neck, and arms are the most exposed parts. No armor there.

Any really good AP round designed for defeating ceramic armor will ice pick the tissue behind it.

I'd take a killer fragmenting round over a AP round in combat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Perhaps this has been brought up already, but what about putting a lighter 270 bullet in a 5.56 case?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Perhaps this has been brought up already, but what about putting a lighter 270 bullet in a 5.56 case?
View Quote
Low velocity and BC.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
M855A1 was originally designed to have a tungsten milled tip not steel, but that we didn't have enough national stockpile so they went with steel. Even so, its still AP ammo to some degree and it still possessing good frag effects, It's just not piercing SAPI/ESAPI equivalent armor. Even M855 was an AP round too, SS109 was implemented based on its ability to pierce Soviet helmets.

The M855A1 Cartridge: A Long Time Coming
by John Plaster
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

M855A1 was originally designed to have a tungsten milled tip not steel, but that we didn't have enough national stockpile so they went with steel. Even so, its still AP ammo to some degree and it still possessing good frag effects, It's just not piercing SAPI/ESAPI equivalent armor. Even M855 was an AP round too, SS109 was implemented based on its ability to pierce Soviet helmets.

The M855A1 Cartridge: A Long Time Coming
by John Plaster
View Quote
I had no idea it was intended to be Tungsten. Good stuff there.

It's def AP against anything below NIJ IV.

Maybe I'm just naive but I just don't understand Milleys obsession over AP.

I mean yes to a degree it's important, but most AP rounds ice pick the soft tissue behind the armor, and as LRRPF52 pointed out in combat the torso is usually not exposed, and even if it is the front and rear armor are only present at near perfectly parallel angled to the person shooting you.

Those shots are more in CQB areas and houses, yet even then 90% of the body is still exposed flesh.

I'd rather a accurate round that catastrophically fragments in soft tissue than one that defeats armor yet ice pics the flesh.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had no idea it was intended to be Tungsten. Good stuff there.

It's def AP against anything below NIJ IV.
View Quote
My guess is that new AP round that Milley et al are yapping about is probably just the original tungsten version of M855A1 and M80A1. The US doesn't have tungsten stockpile for all issue penetrators to be made out of tungsten but we do have enough for limited AP fielding with all tungsten penetrators instead of just the cores. So lot more material and its in a much better place for increasing penetration over M993/995.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

M80A1 is the 7.62 equivalent, it also is not an AP round and cannot defeat body armor any better than it's 5.56 brother.

However as LRRPF has said, in combat the head, neck, and arms are the most exposed parts. No armor there.

Any really good AP round designed for defeating ceramic armor will ice pick the tissue behind it.

I'd take a killer fragmenting round over a AP round in combat.
View Quote
I wouldn't call this ice pick: Then again we don't know how it reacts at combat distances..

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My guess is that new AP round that Milley et al are yapping about is probably just the original tungsten version of M855A1 and M80A1. The US doesn't have tungsten stockpile for all issue penetrators to be made out of tungsten but we do have enough for limited AP fielding with all tungsten penetrators instead of just the cores. So lot more material and its in a much better place for increasing penetration over M993/995.
View Quote
And that brings up the question, why 7.62?

If it can be made to work in 5.56 why change at all?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wouldn't call this ice pick: Then again we don't know how it reacts at combat distances..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4435/36301159232_d8c5766933_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4433/36423504516_befabda474_b.jpg
View Quote
I've always heard M995 and M993 ice pick at combat distances once they breach the armor as the jacket gets shredded on the armor and only the tungsten core makes it through the armor.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've always heard M995 and M993 ice pick at combat distances once they breach the armor as the jacket gets shredded on the armor and only the tungsten core makes it through the armor.
View Quote
So begs the question, who has a crap ton of M993/995 to send in for testing :D
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just naive but I just don't understand Milleys obsession over AP.

I mean yes to a degree it's important, but most AP rounds ice pick the soft tissue behind the armor, and as LRRPF52 pointed out in combat the torso is usually not exposed, and even if it is the front and rear armor are only present at near perfectly parallel angled to the person shooting you.

Those shots are more in CQB areas and houses, yet even then 90% of the body is still exposed flesh.

I'd rather a accurate round that catastrophically fragments in soft tissue than one that defeats armor yet ice pics the flesh.
View Quote
And Shinseki should have known better than believing that stealing the Ranger's beret wouldn't actually turn the rest of the army into Rangers. Whatever these guys used to be by the time they make four star they've politicians in uniform who've been given nothing but platitudes from yes men subordinates for well over a decade. They are in the worst position to make good decisions about equipment and that's unfortunately a big part of their job. The last time Milley gave a shit about small arms was when he commanded a battalion a long time ago, and not in combat. He's not doing research on his own and it sounds like he discarded the advice from all the SMEs to go 7.62. In other words, he's the quintessential Army chief of staff, on par with all his predecessors.

Possible motives I can think of Milley doesn't come out as a criminal asshole:
- AP penetration against Russian plates for those Soldiers he has deployed in E. Europe worried about the Russians. He can't do shit to give them more arty, more tanks, but maybe the best he is actually capable of doing to help their morale is to give them a better penetrating ammo.
- Maybe he has a real hard-on for 7.62 NATO. LRRP says as his BC he broke out old M14s and issued them out, so even back then he was pro 308. The last thing he remembers about small arms is old news, but he is a general so fuck other people's opinions.
- He is getting the Army to lean forward to eventually go to an intermediate cartridge that wont fit in an AR15 platform. Why build and issue out an updated M4 if in five years we'll be using a cartridge that doesn't fit in it? If the future is going to be plastic cased intermediate rounds being shot out of a short barreled AR10, then why not just get a jump on it now? We'll have all the BII and mags and pouches and shit already, the only thing we need to change is caliber later on.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And Shinseki should have known better than believing that stealing the Ranger's beret wouldn't actually turn the rest of the army into Rangers. Whatever these guys used to be by the time they make four star they've politicians in uniform who've been given nothing but platitudes from yes men subordinates for well over a decade. They are in the worst position to make good decisions about equipment and that's unfortunately a big part of their job. The last time Milley gave a shit about small arms was when he commanded a battalion a long time ago, and not in combat. He's not doing research on his own and it sounds like he discarded the advice from all the SMEs to go 7.62. In other words, he's the quintessential Army chief of staff, on par with all his predecessors.

Possible motives I can think of Milley doesn't come out as a criminal asshole:
- AP penetration against Russian plates for those Soldiers he has deployed in E. Europe worried about the Russians. He can't do shit to give them more arty, more tanks, but maybe the best he is actually capable of doing to help their morale is to give them a better penetrating ammo.
- Maybe he has a real hard-on for 7.62 NATO. LRRP says as his BC he broke out old M14s and issued them out, so even back then he was pro 308. The last thing he remembers about small arms is old news, but he is a general so fuck other people's opinions.
- He is getting the Army to lean forward to eventually go to an intermediate cartridge that wont fit in an AR15 platform. Why build and issue out an updated M4 if in five years we'll be using a cartridge that doesn't fit in it? If the future is going to be plastic cased intermediate rounds being shot out of a short barreled AR10, then why not just get a jump on it now? We'll have all the BII and mags and pouches and shit already, the only thing we need to change is caliber later on.
View Quote
It certainly sounds possible, but the criteria for these rifles is laughably incompetent.

Attachment Attached File

No mention of durability, and only required to fire 210 rounds before a stoppage?

Not only that but the more velocity your gun offers and the more accurate the higher it'll score?

It sounds like they want SS barreled 20" guns, and given they only need to be able to fire 210 rounds on full auto....Idk I just don't understand it.

Initially the requirements for the M4 was 600 MRBS and 3,000 MRBEFF. Granted now days it's easily quadruples both of those requirements.

However this ICSR has from what I can decipher a requirement of 210 MRBS and no durability requirement.

To me that seems criminally inept.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It certainly sounds possible, but the criteria for these rifles is laughably incompetent.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414147/IMG_3392-275957.JPG

No mention of durability, and only required to fire 210 rounds before a stoppage?

Not only that but the more velocity your gun offers and the more accurate the higher it'll score?

It sounds like they want SS barreled 20" guns, and given they only need to be able to fire 210 rounds on full auto....Idk I just don't understand it.

Initially the requirements for the M4 was 600 MRBS and 3,000 MRBEFF. Granted now days it's easily quadruples both of those requirements.

However this ICSR has from what I can decipher a requirement of 210 MRBS and no durability requirement.

To me that seems criminally inept.
View Quote
Don't try to make sense of the Army, you'll get a nose bleed and possibly a stroke.

And remember that at the end of the day every single current senior ranking officer and NCO in the Army has accepted that trannies will serve openly and that females will serve in combat arms. They might not like it but they wont fight it, it wont be the hill in which they will die on. Think about the person who makes that decision, those individuals are in key leadership positions and they have demonstrated to their subordinates that they have zero honor or courage, they are in it for power and monetary reward (if nothing more than pay, pension, Tricare, and a good job after they retire). They are fucked up human beings and those sort, who infest all levels of our military, aren't the sort who make good decisions regarding anything in life.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Maybe the failings of the HK G28 CSASS have lead us to this point.

I know it remains unfunded with no intention to fund the CSASS from what I'm told.

Maybe they are righting that wrong(I've also been told it performed poorly in the trials as well, but had the best "package" thus was chosen) and going to pick a decent rifle with this.

However my gut fears the SCAR which also has a notorious habit of breaking down.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
NIJ doesn't test at those distances, and doesn't the army perform all of their testing at 25'? But I do understand why someone would want to see that.

On that end, I already know of a Level IV (RMA #1199) plate that defeats M995 @ 100m simulated velocity.  This was tested at an actual ballistic lab.
View Quote
Did you do the testing for that, or did RMA?

I was already planning on buying the #1999's due to the weight, but if they are stopping M995 @ 100m that's really impressive.

Also, thanks again for all the great testing you do Subscribed to your Patreon a month or two ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I read just fine, but you see I also read the reference links and understand what is going on.

The quote from one of the guys in charge of the program indicates (as it has been for a while) a new SDM rifle.  That was specifically referenced in your article, but they posted it as 'see the Army wants a new rifle'.

The purchase for 50K rifles isn't enough for the USMC, let alone a service the size of the US Army.  This is more a replacement for the 5.56 SDMs the Army has.

You see fantasies by writers aren't info or analysis - it's wishful thinking.  Thinking that isn't supported by Army leadership nor the size of the contract.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I read just fine, but you see I also read the reference links and understand what is going on.

The quote from one of the guys in charge of the program indicates (as it has been for a while) a new SDM rifle.  That was specifically referenced in your article, but they posted it as 'see the Army wants a new rifle'.

The purchase for 50K rifles isn't enough for the USMC, let alone a service the size of the US Army.  This is more a replacement for the 5.56 SDMs the Army has.

You see fantasies by writers aren't info or analysis - it's wishful thinking.  Thinking that isn't supported by Army leadership nor the size of the contract.
What you are quoting has nothing to do with this RFP.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/06/us-army-issues-solicitation-for/

The key you overlook is this.
Eventually, they plan to issue an Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity for up to 50,000 examples of the ICSR. However, the Army reserves the right to adjust that amount, including purchasing more.
Again you have not done enough reading on this subject.

50,000 is just a start and the Army reserved the right to change the ceiling on the contract to buy as many rifles as they need.

This is very much a push to replace the M4 within BCTs.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top