Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've seen plenty of GBU-54s smashing vehicles full of HVTs at 60mph.
View Quote

With terminal control from a JTAC?

You have "seen" it.  Do you mean "seen it" or do you mean watched on liveleak like everyone else?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Holy shit this thread is awesome.

As for Army airframe selection, it happens after you fly Primary (learning to hover, fly etc), Instruments (self explanitory), and BWS (Low Level nav, vietnam shit). You take a couple of checkrides in each phase, those scores are averaged along with your academic average, and your PT score, and some other shit.

This forms an OML. On the day of selection there is a whiteboard with all the available airframes that day (47F, 64D, 64E, UH60M, UH60AL, C12). They call off your name down the OML, and you simply tell them what aircraft you want.

After its all done, they put up a slide talking about duty stations, and then you tell them the top 3 you want. You will get whatever the fuck the Army wants to give you, its a joke

Point is, selection is all you.
View Quote

Same thing for us. A sheet of paper with 24 aircraft and you rank them 1-24, your merit earns you your spot.

Nothing like a GD CAS thread to learn how to do my job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your fantasy assessment is just that. Your assuming the enemy would be stupid enough to not adjust his tactics and procure some really cheap shoulder fired missiles to shoot down those really cheap aerial targets. You'd have wasted the lives of a lot of pilots, billions of dollars in training, procurement, maintenance, etc. and for what, so some arm chair commandos could have something else to bitch about? No thanks. Stick to your video games.
View Quote
"Hey schemes, they're using a lot of turbo props lately, we can barely afford food, have to dry our own piss to get ingredients for explosives and Mohammad needs us at work tomorrow so we can afford a few more mags...,so 'lets go procure some manpads'"

You tell someone to stick to video games but you think some Hezb-e-islami fighter can respawn as an engineer and pick stingers...

Like the world would stop spinning if USAF aristocracy got shot at...Maybe it would piss them off and make them want to win. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You have "seen" it.  Do you mean "seen it" or do you mean watched on liveleak like everyone else?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen plenty of GBU-54s smashing vehicles full of HVTs at 60mph.

Liveleak?  Somebody doesn't know where to go to watch them all.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I still don't know why we can't have a few wings around with Super Tucs or equivalent aircraft loitering around with small diameter bombs ready to drop in support of the CAS mission in a no threat environment.

Just because the Air Force sucks at recruiting and retention of pilots doesn't seem like an excuse to me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And put Marines in the seat! Keep them away from the AF!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Marines care about CAS (so I'm told) and are an independent branch that could have gotten A-29s whenever they wanted, but didn't.

But the Air Force sucks and doesn't care about CAS because it uses fast fighters with targeting pods to do the job.  Unlike the Marines that use fast fighters with targeting pods.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They know the boss is going to shove their non support of his Marines up their ass.  He has a long memory of AF antics and bullshit during a war where his Marines were bleeding while AF generals played games.  

They earned it.
View Quote

-Amen
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I still don't know why we can't have a few wings around with Super Tucs or equivalent aircraft loitering around with small diameter bombs ready to drop in support of the CAS mission in a no threat environment.

Just because the Air Force sucks at recruiting and retention of pilots doesn't seem like an excuse to me.
View Quote

It's a shame the army has no Super Tucanos.

We do have quite a few Super Chicanos though, and they make up for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's a shame the army has no Super Tucanos.

We do have quite a few Super Chicanos though, and they make up for it.
View Quote

The irony is the tucanos are the right fit for the army and a disaster for the AF.

the army is too stupid to see it and the AF is too selfish to allow it to happen anyway.

See also:  C27J

Maybe SOCOM will pick up the slack, but they share about as well as the AF.  At least the sexys would have something useful when the scary sun comes out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Your fantasy assessment is just that. Your assuming the enemy would be stupid enough to not adjust his tactics and procure some really cheap shoulder fired missiles to shoot down those really cheap aerial targets. You'd have wasted the lives of a lot of pilots, billions of dollars in training, procurement, maintenance, etc. and for what, so some arm chair commandos could have something else to bitch about? No thanks. Stick to your video games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:Your fantasy assessment is just that. Your assuming the enemy would be stupid enough to not adjust his tactics and procure some really cheap shoulder fired missiles to shoot down those really cheap aerial targets. You'd have wasted the lives of a lot of pilots, billions of dollars in training, procurement, maintenance, etc. and for what, so some arm chair commandos could have something else to bitch about? No thanks. Stick to your video games.

God forbid a pilot gets shot at in a war. People could get hurt that way.

Has the US had any fast-movers at all shot down in the GWOT?  I know I've read of a few that have gone down for one reason or another -- but a shoot down?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/09/why-is-america-using-these-antique-planes-to-fight-isis.html Tested ov-10's.  Worked great, then said they were too expensive.  The problem cost was the maintence of a fleet or 2.  To some degree costs have a large fixed component.  You need enough airframes in your fleet to lower the average cost.  You need much of the same standby inventory and skill sets to keep a squadron of 20 in the air as 1
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Has the US had any fast-movers at all shot down in the GWOT?  I know I've read of a few that have gone down for one reason or another -- but a shoot down?
View Quote

A-10 in 2003.

Thats it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
A Viper dude crashed doing a gun run supporting a bad day for CAG and the 160th back in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Before I have to go get booger from school and take him shooting I thought I would chime in.

Are we replacing the A-10 to kill tanks and everything else on the battlefield. Or just a simple CAS bird for precision strikes on asshats who need killing. Me and sylvan have got into some discussions about the gun in the bird.  BUT

BUT PLEASE

What ever we do go with FOR CHRIST SAKES PUT A MARINE IN IT. PLEASE just please put a Marine in it.  Don't give to the future 777 drivers to fuck up.

Giving what ever we wind up with to the Airforce to fuck up, is like giving a former meth cook who is now a meth head a new house with a really nice kitchen.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Before I have to go get booger from school and take him shooting I thought I would chime in.

Are we replacing the A-10 to kill tanks and everything else on the battlefield. Or just a simple CAS bird for precision strikes on asshats who need killing. Me and sylvan have got into some discussions about the gun in the bird.  BUT

BUT PLEASE

What ever we do go with FOR CHRIST SAKES PUT A MARINE IN IT. PLEASE just please put a Marine in it.  Don't give to the future 777 drivers to fuck up.

Giving what ever we wind up with to the Airforce to fuck up, is like giving a former meth cook who is now a meth head a new house with a really nice kitchen.
View Quote

For the last 16 years the Marines could have pushed to get an LAAR for themselves but chose not to.

IMHO I'd put an Army maneuver officer in the back seat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They know the boss is going to shove their non support of his Marines up their ass.  He has a long memory of AF antics and bullshit during a war where his Marines were bleeding while AF generals played games.  

They earned it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
T6 Texan
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For the last 16 years the Marines could have pushed to get an LAAR for themselves but chose not to.

View Quote

Any maneuver or fires officer or CWO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd also make them ANG squadrons habitually gained by a specific division or Battlespace owning BCT.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd also make them ANG squadrons habitually gained by a specific division or Battlespace owning BCT.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

BUT PLEASE

View Quote

thats kinda my problem with this.  this is the wrong frame for the AF.  It would be a giant waste of money.  The AF should come out and be honest about that.  But now a new SECDEF has a bug up his ass and the AF will jump on this just to cock block anyone else getting involved and frankly to ensure it fails.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We should have been buying these long ago.  No need to send B2s or F16s to bomb mud huts in completely uncontested airspace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We should have been buying these long ago.  No need to send B2s or F16s to bomb mud huts in completely uncontested airspace.

why not the texan II?  they're already in the inventory and made in america as opposed to brazil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

why not the texan II?  they're already in the inventory and made in america as opposed to brazil.
View Quote

They are building tucanos in Florida now.  Texan is much smaller and is a converted trainer.  the tucano was designed from the ground up to be a turbo prop attack aircraft, IIRC.

Ultimately it doesn't matter.
Bronco, tucano, ag tractor, AT-6.

whatever.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Much of the Super Taco is made in the US.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Marines care about CAS (so I'm told) and are an independent branch that could have gotten A-29s whenever they wanted, but didn't.

But the Air Force sucks and doesn't care about CAS because it uses fast fighters with targeting pods to do the job.  Unlike the Marines that use fast fighters with targeting pods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You noticed that too did you? And I thought it was all a trick? So now they want a '50s vintage turbo prop because....because why? What possible turbo-prop could be 1/2 as tough as the 2 jet engined A-10? And the A-10s get shot to pieces in the mud and only survive because they are a flying titanium bathtub of redundancy. Most of the time they survive. And they are very good at night. Even F16s, 18s, 35, Harriers are far more survivable then these cheap ass trainer/low threat attack whatevers. And you have to "survive" before you can support ground troops.

This Super Turdcano is a POS that wouldnt survive a minute against any halfway decent adversary.

I never once heard a USAF pilot ever complain about CAS. In fact they like turning terrorists into shredded goat meat. USAF pilots absolutely despise terrorists and will happily murder them in a minute.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never understood why we mothball perfectly good aircraft and build new ones for 100x the money to do a job a P51 47 could. Not saying we don't need the latest and greatest.
View Quote

The P51 actually was a pretty bad fighter bomber compared to the P47
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You noticed that too did you? And I thought it was all a trick? So now they want a '50s vintage turbo prop because....because why? What possible turbo-prop could be 1/2 as tough as the 2 jet engined A-10? And the A-10s get shot to pieces in the mud and only survive because they are a flying titanium bathtub of redundancy. Most of the time they survive. And they are very good at night. Even F16s, 18s, 35, Harriers are far more survivable then these cheap ass trainer/low threat attack whatevers. And you have to "survive" before you can support ground troops.

This Super Turdcano is a POS that wouldnt survive a minute against any halfway decent adversary.

I never once heard a USAF pilot ever complain about CAS. In fact they like turning terrorists into shredded goat meat. USAF pilots absolutely despise terrorists and will happily murder them in a minute.
View Quote

You still aren't listening.

No one wants to fly these things cross FLOT in MCO.

They'll work just fine for what everyone has been spending the last 50 years doing.

The Army does this stuff with rotary all the time.

Wanting to do CAS and wanting to be good at it are different things. But this is beyond CAS, this is CCA which is a lot better and easier for the guys on the ground to employ.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you really have no clue

can we buy it? yep, can we build/transition make the pilots to employ it

NO FUCKING WAY
even if we did away with the sacred cow.

why the fuck haven't you realized this- ever

We cannot even train enough to keep up with the even smaller pool of jets, no one wants to do it. We have open slots all the time, its not about just shitting bodies to fill slots, we cannot get anyone to do it.

Only idiots say "just have enlisted fly"  Its a false argument to cover the fact they are clueless on what it takes to generate a competant pilot

fine put them in there and have them start dropping bombs/shooting around you with the basic experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AF has been lying about procuring LAARs since 2006 at the latest.

you really have no clue

can we buy it? yep, can we build/transition make the pilots to employ it

NO FUCKING WAY
even if we did away with the sacred cow.

why the fuck haven't you realized this- ever

We cannot even train enough to keep up with the even smaller pool of jets, no one wants to do it. We have open slots all the time, its not about just shitting bodies to fill slots, we cannot get anyone to do it.

Only idiots say "just have enlisted fly"  Its a false argument to cover the fact they are clueless on what it takes to generate a competant pilot

fine put them in there and have them start dropping bombs/shooting around you with the basic experience.

you keep saying that the air force cannot fill open pilots slots.  why is that the case and how do you fix it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those look like a perfect aircraft for the wars we are fighting now. I bet they are ready to drop bombs from the day they are bought unlike the f35. Coast per hour for Maintenance is in The hundreds not thousands like everything else we have

How many of these can we get for the price of one F35?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those look like a perfect aircraft for the wars we are fighting now. I bet they are ready to drop bombs from the day they are bought unlike the f35. Coast per hour for Maintenance is in The hundreds not thousands like everything else we have

at least 6.   we could buy around 15 t-6s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
T6 Texan
View Quote

It doesn't matter which one.  It would probably be best to procure all 3 (I think there are 3 different planes?) in order to placate the congressmen with airplane factories in their states. The total cost would likely still be under the cost of an F-35.  The important part is to get them and see how the whole thing works.   Then if one of them is a clusterfuck you could point to the others as comparative proof to get it's procurement killed.  At least then you wind up with something in the air instead of an over time and budget silver bullet program saddled with lawsuits from the companies who's plane didn't get picked.

We desperately need something that is cheap to fly that is designed to support ground troops fighting the mud hut wars.   A B-1 or F-35 ain't it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We're 16 years in to the global war on terror and our top men are still talking about "experiments" and seeing about whether or not a plane flying low overhead has any benefit to the people on the ground.

Dead and permanently disabled military personnel really add up in the long run budget-wise, a cheap plane that simply provided overwatch for convoys and stopped a good percentage of IED attacks could have recouped much of its cost by now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“We don't think [an experiment] would cost a lot of money, and it's designed just to help us get our arms around [questions like]: What can you actually do? Does it actually contribute? Can it survive in different threat environments?” Holmes said at the time.

We're 16 years in to the global war on terror and our top men are still talking about "experiments" and seeing about whether or not a plane flying low overhead has any benefit to the people on the ground.

Dead and permanently disabled military personnel really add up in the long run budget-wise, a cheap plane that simply provided overwatch for convoys and stopped a good percentage of IED attacks could have recouped much of its cost by now.

who flies it?  the air force doesn't want cheap, low and slow, non-stealth aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zero of the super tuco is made in the US unless it's to appease congressturds.  It's a Brazilian airplane and always has been.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck good is a T-6?  At that point you may as well list how many 172s we could get since they'd be just as useful for air support.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and so desperately need even faster supersonic stealth hoverjets to do...CAS?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record I think the AF should have bought LAAR over a decade ago.  I just have to counter the irrational hate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They are building tucanos in Florida now.  Texan is much smaller and is a converted trainer.  the tucano was designed from the ground up to be a turbo prop attack aircraft, IIRC.

whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whatever.

The Super Tucano is a derivative aircraft from the Tucano, a trainer very similar to the Texan.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be okay with both your points, but in this one you would have to have a pretty high plane:crew ratio if you made it Guard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

your right, we would have to set up a airfield close the the action because the LAA dosn't have the legs to get in country, nor the speed to get there before the HVI leaves when he only pops up for a few hours

Its funny how people dont understand completely different mission sets but they beat their chest for the LAA in all situations
View Quote
This is bullshit.

We've been in Afghanistan for 16 years. During that time, we could have paid for a fleet of LAA and airfields to support them with what we've paid to have strategic bombers come flying in from COTUS to blow up dirt.

We have zilch that can fight COIN warfare. 

We've got oodles of aircraft that can intercept your high value target when he pops up in some shithole in Africa. 

Oh, and before you say it, the next war?  It's a hell of a lot more likely to look like Afghanistan than it is Iraq '91, or some giant masturbatory fantasy of going to war with China.  If you want to talk about China, let's talk about cyber-war, which is criminally underfunded and poorly managed. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No shit- I had no idea

So tell me the differences in RW service and what you expect a LAA to perform through its full mission set??

I'll wait

or you do even know what is full mission set is???

again if you just want a aircraft with guns/rockets, a dirt road is fine but then again you're limiting capabilities.
View Quote

Of course we are limiting capabilities.  That's the whole idea. An encrypted radio set, some sort of gun on a turrent.  If the Air Force can't provide that on a platform that can be low maintenance and land on a dirt strip, the problem is the Air Force.  Unless the freaking laws of physics have changed while I wasn't looking, putting a set of equipment on a fixed wing aircraft is going to give you longer range/loiter time than putting the same set of equipment on a rotary wing...  And less maintenance as well. 

I feel like you've created a set of requirements that are just there so you can't make LAA/LAAR aircraft work.  "Oh, it must have blah blah blah, and then it will be too heavy, and now it won't work".  "Doctrine demands that we do XXXX"  "Procurement is broken, so F-35 all things".  Do you seriously hear yourself talking?  

It doesn't need bombs.  Sure, I'd bet Sylvan would love to have bombs, but if you tell him "It won't work because then we'd have to strengthen the wings to carry them and that would render the aircraft to heavy for a dirt strip" (or whatever), I suspect he'd be fine with it.  

I've watched a thousand videos on liveleak that happen like this:  Guys take fire from somewhere.  Maybe 100 rounds and a couple of RPG's...  They shoot back some.  They call in artillery or CAS that arrives 15 minutes later when the shooters have gone back to bed and are fucking some goats.  How difficult is it to understand that having some sort of airborne support that can shoot at them a bit and keep them from running away, and that can direct your ground guys in would have ended a ton of those engagements with dead bad guys instead of traumatized goats?

We need to be able to fight wars, these sorts of low intensity COIN operations without spending a king's ransom.  All the services need to figure this out, but the Air Force seems to be the ones most resistant to considering the economy of it. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why are we even discussing buying this POS?

Every war isnt going to be against medieval tribesman and even they can control the low Alts with decent manpads and AA barrels.

Those are the kind of wars you project for. I'd feel better with a B1 or B52 zipping around with about 40 2,000 lb GPS or Lazer guided's falling on top of whomever.
View Quote
After we assraped Saddam, nobody is going up against us toe to toe conventionally anymore.

Yet we've fought numerous wars, basically to a loss, because we lose at COIN.  

If you are Iran, what do you look at doing?  Watching everything you own get chewed up in 48 hours in the desert?  Or fight a low cost insurgency for 10 years until we get tired and go home?

Oh, and we have B2's and B1's, and F-35's and F-22's and all sorts of shit.  Why can't we have 100 LAAR aircraft to fill a real need?  For a line item that's pocket change to the pentagon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Right. Who said that? Oh and quit with the whining.

An aircraft that isnt survivable isnt worth anything to anyone. An aircraft lacking sensors in a sensor fused military isnt worth anything to anyone. If you think Afshitistan is bad just wait until you hit the beach in Iran, Korea, or Taiwan, watching these WW2 prop driven POS getting blown out of the sky like mosquitos.

Even far worse then not having CAS is not having air superiority. Thats the prime mission of USAF and without it you ground/pud pounders get to be the video stars on Live Leak.

Screw the costs. Our troops deserves the best CAS money can buy which means not shopping at the CAS Wallymart.
View Quote
Yeah, if we only had 2,300 F-35's to hit the beach with in Irawn or Korea.  

If we only had nearly 200 F-22's to provide air superiority.  

If we only had the world's only fleet of deployed, operational stealth aircraft.  

If only.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If you are looking for an endorsement of the Army from me, look elsewhere.

Army, "You can't kill the A-10.  Its cheap to fly, troops love it (because troops are as retarded as the GOs that command them) and its purpose built for the mission.  Oh, and we are killing the OH-58D even though its cheap to fly, troops love it and its purpose built for the mission."

Odierno was so retarded he couldn't even recognize the hypocrisy.
View Quote
Truth. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#43]
In this entirely ridiculous thread, typical for the GD CAS "experts" not a single armchair expert has ever even attempted to address the ground commander problem I brought up. Everyone sidesteps it and blames it in airframes they no nothing about, or tactics they know nothing about. If it didnt mean the continued death of so many fine soldiers and marines I would wish that GD got everything on their CAS wishlist. Then, when not a damn thing changes, and good men are still dying with unused weapons overhead, theyd no longer be able to pretend what the main problem is.

When I checked in with callsign and loadout with the soldiers or marines I was supporting, I am 100% autonomous. That is, I drop on their order without any contact or permissions required from my chain of command.

You want LAA aircraft because they will be there when the fight starts. More times than I can count, I HAVE been there when the fight starts, DIRECTLY overhead the TIC watching it unfold, and ground comman simply will not give clearance to engage.

Time after time, I have watched men stack on a door or courtyard to take out a sniper on the top floor of a building or rpg shooters from a corner wall and they take casualties while Im eyes on. Already there, in radio contact, Cant get clearance to engage from the commander.

We would attempt to guard convoys. They get ambushed, dismount and fight. Again, already there, eyes on, watching it all go down right underneath me. Cant get clearance from the ground commander.

All of you morons who think a new aircraft or different color uniform are going to solve the number one problem with CAS that causes 99% of the bombs that should have been dropped to stay on the jet dont know jack because you havent been there. I have. Countless times. Ready willing and able, loaded for bear, and many times go home with every bomb still on the jet.

I have never had a talk on fail to find a target. I have never had a bomb miss by more than six feet. I have refused to drop exactly once, when I was cleared hot on a friendly position. Other than that, i dropped when asked everytime and hit every target i was allowed too. Less than ten percent of the time would the ground commander allow me to do my job.

Ask yourself if you really believe that men that spent nearly waking moment of their life training to fight, men so type A they will at times come to blows over how crisp their wingmans checkin was over the radio, just decided that when they get put in the big game they dont care to engage. These guys want to kill the enemy so bad they can hardly sleep at night. We were absolutely enraged at not being allowed to fight.

These threads are entertaining the way that watching an idiot hurt himself can be, but just in case one of you out there is someday in a position to fix the mindset of the modern military commander which is that casualties among his own men is less of a risk to his career than collateral damage, know the truth.

The cold hard truth if you fought in on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan is this: you own commanders let you down, and I didnt like it anymore than you did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In this entirely ridiculous thread, typical for the GD CAS "experts" not a single armchair expert has ever even attempted to address the ground commander problem I brought up. Everyone sidesteps it and blames it in airframes they no nothing about, or tactics they know nothing about. If it didnt mean the continued death of so many fine soldiers and marines I would wish that GD got everything on their CAS wishlist. Then, when not a damn thing changes, and good men are still dying with unused weapons overhead, theyd no longer be able to pretend what the main problem is.

When I checked in with callsign and loadout with the soldiers or marines I was supporting, I am 100% autonomous. That is, I drop on their order without any contact or permissions required from my chain of command.

You want LAA aircraft because they will be there when the fight starts. More times than I can count, I HAVE been there when the fight starts, DIRECTLY overhead the TIC watching it unfold, and ground comman simply will not give clearance to engage.

Time after time, I have watched men stack on a door or courtyard to take out a sniper on the top floor of a building or rpg shooters from a corner wall and they take casualties while Im eyes on. Already there, in radio contact, Cant get clearance to engage from the commander.

We would attempt to guard convoys. They get ambushed, dismount and fight. Again, already there, eyes on, watching it all go down right underneath me. Cant get clearance from the ground commander.

All of you morons who think a new aircraft or different color uniform are going to solve the number one problem with CAS that causes 99% of the bombs that should have been dropped to stay on the jet dont know jack because you havent been there. I have. Countless times. Ready willing and able, loaded for bear, and many times go home with every bomb still on the jet.

I have never had a talk on fail to find a target. I have never had a bomb miss by more than six feet. I have refused to drop exactly once, when I was cleared hot on a friendly position. Other than that, i dropped when asked everytime and hit every target i was allowed too. Less than ten percent of the time would the ground commander allow me to do my job.

Ask yourself if you really believe that men that spent nearly waking moment of their life training to fight, men so type A they will at times come to blows over how crisp their wingmans checkin was over the radio, just decided that when they get put in the big game they dont care to engage. These guys want to kill the enemy so bad they can hardly sleep at night. We were absolutely enraged at not being allowed to fight.

These threads are entertaining the way that watching an idiot hurt himself can be, but just in case one of you out there is someday in a position to fix the mindset of the modern military commander which is that casualties among his own men is less of a risk to his career than collateral damage, know the truth.

The cold hard truth if you fought in on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan is this: you own commanders let you down, and I didnt like it anymore than you did.
View Quote

I agree with you.

No matter what the frame, if the AF is flying it, its gonna suck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'd be okay with both your points, but in this one you would have to have a pretty high plane:crew ratio if you made it Guard.
View Quote

There hasn't been a pilot shortage since Orville and Wilbur had to flip to see who went first. It's a matter of changing the aperture of selection, not some mythical shortage of what is in essence a meat computer that this nation builds in the hundreds daily.

The observer will be an Army Fires, Aviation or Maneuver officer. The pilot can be a USAF officer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There hasn't been a pilot shortage since Orville and Wilbur had to flip to see who went first. It's a matter of changing the aperture of selection, not some mythical shortage of what is in essence a meat computer that this nation builds in the hundreds daily.

The observer will be an Army Fires, Aviation or Maneuver officer. The pilot can be a USAF officer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ratio point had nothing to do with shortages, but rather about deployment dwell time for something that's going to be forward or training a lot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A-10 in 2003.

Thats it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A-10 in 2003.

Thats it.

F/A-18C
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

F/A-18C
View Quote

Shot down how?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top