BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How cheap of training should we have for pilots that are dropping bombs in the vicinity of friendly troops?

FYI the actual stick work on a Super Tucano is easy and could be handled by a private pilot with a turbine endorsement.  Employing an aircraft safely and successfully is a different story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta say, from my perspective as an outsider looking in, Rooster seems to have a good point here. 1) How did we fill so many fighter slots in WWI and WWII, when it was more dangerous? Was the difference due to draft? 2) If we can get all those volunteers to walk around on the street with possible enemy poking out from every corner, or bombs planted in the dirt all around you in random locations, why can't we get dudes to pilot planes to blow shit up? 3) If the standard is too high, can we separate the standards? We have a super high standard for the "next-generation" aircraft or whatever, the F35 type pilots who are there to defend us against theoretical super power enemies, and then we have a secondary lower standard for the rest of us retards who want to fly in low and blow things up

It cost very little to train pilots back in WWI. Teach them how to fly and land with about 40 flying hours or less and let Darwin take over. WWII was barely an improvement in comparison to today's pilots. Today it can cost millions to get a pilot ready for combat. After spending that kind of money and the time/expense it takes to replace one it is just darn smart to keep them alive and fighting. Even A-10 pilots aren't cheap to train. I've met quite a few A-10 pilots and have immense respect for them. They are the best, most courageous, ground attack pilots in the world bar none. Even with that you don't waste them.

You want to fight a war of attrition then the Army and Marine ground pounders are your go to sacrificial lambs. You can train a whole infantry company for far less than it cost for one fighter pilot.

Seems like a dick response, but ok. So my question stands, why not have two standards of training and let the cheaper pilots and airframes conduct cas? There's no shortage of red blooded rednecks wanting to blow shit up

How cheap of training should we have for pilots that are dropping bombs in the vicinity of friendly troops?

FYI the actual stick work on a Super Tucano is easy and could be handled by a private pilot with a turbine endorsement.  Employing an aircraft safely and successfully is a different story.

Sounds like you're saying it's doable, but be cautious about it.

I mean essentially this is the safety/no safety argument on pistols for army. On a very basic level you're just arguing that people are retarded and can't avoid killing friendlies unless we spend a bazillion dollars per pilot and only put the absolute best in the air. Then you're afraid to use them for normal use.

Wouldn't it be like the army adopting delta training for its grunts and then complaining that they don't have enough infantry grunts?

And when the next Sylvan comes along to argue for lesser trained grunts to reduce cost and open up the lists, you say "but they won't have the skill or experience"

??
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol. Wtf does pilot safety have to do with CAS? CAS is safer for a fighter pilot than the most basic BFM training mission you start the second week of a qual course. We completely scoffed the notion of ground fire in OIF/OEF unless your talking about our own patriots or you were flying an A10, and flew with impunity from the surface to whatever.

I see the thread got stupider since I left. Shocker.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lol. Wtf does pilot safety have to do with CAS? CAS is safer for a fighter pilot than the most basic BFM training mission you start the second week of a qual course. We completely scoffed the notion of ground fire in OIF/OEF unless your talking about our own patriots or you were flying an A10, and flew with impunity from the surface to whatever.

View Quote

Someone suggested that pilots lives were more important than the lives of Soldiers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Someone suggested that pilots lives were more important than the lives of Soldiers.
View Quote

Lets be fair, more valuable.  He never said more important.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.  I think it was a F16 pilot who said he couldn't go lower than 10K AGL due to ground fire during a TIC.

I wonder which has the higher fratricide rate; A2G or G2A?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aren't we going to all smart munitions?  Why does the pilot have to do any work in 

uncontested air space?  Hit the button and let the smart bomb smart.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The pilot needs to understand what's going on at the ground level well enough to know what he can drop on.

It's not easy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The pilot needs to understand what's going on at the ground level well enough to know what he can drop on.

It's not easy.
View Quote

Listening to some of the opinions in this thread, one would think this is so hard that the USAF's highly trained pilots can't do it, and that the USAF should use pilots with far less training instead.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Listening to some of the opinions in this thread, one would think this is so hard that the USAF's highly trained pilots can't do it, and that the USAF should use pilots with far less training instead.
View Quote

I have no doubt that they could use less well trained pilots than what they use now.

I'm pretty sure your average Kiowa pilot with a GED and a year of training would do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Army had enlisted UAV pilots for years. Lots of them. The AF opened it up because of disgruntled commissioned officers and numbers. Until recently the USAF Pilots Union's position was that anything in the air required brass on the driver's shoulders, and even the mention of enlisted pilots was heresy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AF is already training enlisted to be drone pilots.

The Army had enlisted UAV pilots for years. Lots of them. The AF opened it up because of disgruntled commissioned officers and numbers. Until recently the USAF Pilots Union's position was that anything in the air required brass on the driver's shoulders, and even the mention of enlisted pilots was heresy.

So it turned into a country club.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As a civvie witnessing the response of troops to getting shot at and blown up stateside (family too) I assumed this would be the case, so I don't understand why AF would assume if they got put under fire regularly that less people would join... sounds like bad assumptions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get your argument. Did all of the Kiowas get shot down?

Kiowas were shot down in Iraq and AFG fairly regularly. All that did was get the rest of the pilots more focused on the job, and there was never a shortage of dudes wanting to fly them.

As a civvie witnessing the response of troops to getting shot at and blown up stateside (family too) I assumed this would be the case, so I don't understand why AF would assume if they got put under fire regularly that less people would join... sounds like bad assumptions

Totally different cultures. Most of the Kiowa pilots I flew with were prior Rangers, SF, PJs and regular infantry types.

Ive met and spoken with a few AF pilots.  They had good hygiene, a squadron bar and pool table. And they were going home a lot sooner then me and with fewer (none) bullet patches on their aircraft.  

My Cavalry Troop lost 4 of 15 of our pilots to SAF in 2012.  We didn't have a pool table though.  Hell, most days I chose between eating or sleeping an extra hour.  We didn't have a bar either.

Fuck, I should have been an Air Force pilot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The only time a LAAR airplane is on site is during a planned or anticipated assault from the blue side, or one from the red side that is detected or anticipated. I doubt they would ever be deployed in a hunter-killer role cruising the countryside looking for trouble; maybe that is the right mission, but it still doesn't mean the airplane won't be required to dash to a fight.
View Quote

Interdiction and denial of movement would be effective missions, would they not?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup. Apples to Oranges much?

A fleet of dudes flying around and responding to TICs and fighting the enemy, and a fleet of aircraft doing ass and trash and air movement from sundown to sunrise.

You just compared your C130 fleet to your A10 fleet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like the entire chinook fleet did?

Yup. Apples to Oranges much?

A fleet of dudes flying around and responding to TICs and fighting the enemy, and a fleet of aircraft doing ass and trash and air movement from sundown to sunrise.

You just compared your C130 fleet to your A10 fleet.

Except that our C-130s, C-17s, and C-5s flew around the clock.  Regardless of the chest thumping idiocy posted by your brethren, the shithooks weren't flying from "C-130 capable strip to strip", they were flying to smaller FOBs and the Green Zone.  We flew our C-130s all over that shithole, to every single airfield that could accommodate them.  Flew them so much, in fact that we pretty much destroyed the E model and H model fleet, which is why they either got new wing boxes or were replaced by Js.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I get 90 minutes from skids up to skids down with a stripped 64 flying from the same province.
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Except that our C-130s, C-17s, and C-5s flew around the clock.  Regardless of the chest thumping idiocy posted by your brethren, the shithooks weren't flying from "C-130 capable strip to strip", they were flying to smaller FOBs and the Green Zone.  We flew our C-130s all over that shithole, to every single airfield that could accommodate them.  Flew them so much, in fact that we pretty much destroyed the E model and H model fleet, which is why they either got new wing boxes or were replaced by Js.
View Quote
There were tons of flights I saw of sling loaded cargo and troops flying between jalalabad and bagram. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A Viper dude crashed doing a gun run supporting a bad day for CAG and the 160th back in Iraq.
View Quote

Pretty sure the F-16 was from the ANG unit near my house
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There were tons of flights I saw of sling loaded cargo and troops flying between jalalabad and bagram. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about Iraq, not AFG, I only speak about things I have seen first hand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I think it was a F16 pilot who said he couldn't go lower than 10K AGL due to ground fire during a TIC.

I wonder which has the higher fratricide rate; A2G or G2A?
View Quote

Sure he did. I also heard he asked if you could patch him thru to mommy.

If you are comparing rates, ie, number of launches on friendlies divided by total number of launches, its G2A and its not even close. But as usual, never let facts interrupt your worn out narrative.

I do hope you get LAAR. It will be much cheaper to not use them than it was to not use us.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was talking about Iraq, not AFG, I only speak about things I have seen first hand.
View Quote

If only everyone in this thread did the same.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And people say I'm the asshole.
Hell of a service motto, isn't it?
"My personal safety is my primary mission"
View Quote

Is this a CAS thread or a LEO thread?

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sure he did. I also heard he asked if you could patch him thru to mommy.

If you are comparing rates, ie, number of launches on friendlies divided by total number of launches, its G2A and its not even close. But as usual, never let facts interrupt your worn out narrative.

I do hope you get LAAR. It will be much cheaper to not use them than it was to not use us.

Carry on.
View Quote

rates?

Nah.
just kia.

A simple enough metric.

Don't get on me, Patriot falls under the CFACC.  Something something indivisible airpower, something.

AF is the one talking about LAAR.

or does the CoSAF not understand airpower, too?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is this a CAS thread or a LEO thread?

View Quote

funny the parallels.  

Also funny for a pussy who has never been on the ground and won't even fly close to it to talk smack.

but I am sure he saved thousands of soldiers by his brave dropping bombs on grids given to him by someone else.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Ruh-roh
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's not easy.
View Quote

Correct.  

It does indeed sound like an easy process, but there's numerous safety protocols built into the process before the pilot and -2 (if applicable) is cleared "hot" by the FAC / JTAC to ensure friendlies don't die because of miscommunication and a lack of SA by the pilot.  

At least we (as in our guys on the ground) don't have to convert MGRS to Lat/longs via mathematical equation on the fly to put ordnance on the right grid anymore.

The USMC assigns pilots-either FW or RW types-to be air officers / FACs to ground elements for the very reason that they speak aviator.  Sort of like the USN assigns NGLOs-usually a WO when I dealt with them-to the GCE of a MEU.  Enlisted go to JTAC school to learn the nuances of being a FAC without being graduates of pilot training.

In the brigade I support, I have not heard of a single FAC or JTAC organic to the brigade;  instead, MOS qualified personnel are acquired from ASOS units in the USAF or ANG, and it seems to me to be nothing more than an afterthought.  It's a major exercise when they train together, and I've only seen it once in over 2.5 years.  

I'm an outsider looking in, but there doesn't seem to be any doctrinal importance placed on CAS for the Army.  Even a "CALFEX" when conducted during a BDE (-) level exercise is limited in execution from what I've seen.  Pathetic, actually.  

Furthermore, even senior US Army leadership said they want nothing to do with the A-10 were the Warthogs to be offered to the Army in lieu of being sent to the boneyard at DM.  What's that tell you?    

The non-aviation community of the US Army hates the aviation community.  I work with enough Army aviators that I can understand why.  OTOH, sometimes you have to look beyond the pettiness and just do the right thing for the organization, personality differences and petty differences aside.  I'm sure this can be done, if senior leadership in the Army would worry more about warfighting, rather than tripping all over themselves to make sure that the first female tanker to graduate from 19K school received a participation trophy from her senator.  No, I'm not joking in the least.

Hopefully, the last eight years of nonsense will fade away, and competent senior officers will be allowed by the new SecWar to configure the operating forces to fight and win wars, rather than worry about sensitivity and "inclusiveness" training for the Bradley Fucking Manning's of the world.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldnt say the army hates army aviators. But they dont get a seat at the table. You had cody a few years back but that was exceptional. At the tactical level you have good working relationships. The old cav squadrons with organic air were highly effective. But as we continue to buy fewer gold plated aircraft with higher operational costs there is less opportunity for combined arms training. Compared to vietnam our mobility has regressed which is very ironic considering the wide open terrain with sparse vegetation of the desert makes aviation more effective. We spend a fortune and get little return on our investment
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#30]
As an aside, if one of the branches goes the light attack aircraft route, we could get some neat PC simulators
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I mean essentially this is the safety/no safety argument on pistols for army. On a very basic level you're just arguing that people are retarded and can't avoid killing friendlies unless we spend a bazillion dollars per pilot and only put the absolute best in the air. Then you're afraid to use them for normal use.

Wouldn't it be like the army adopting delta training for its grunts and then complaining that they don't have enough infantry grunts?

And when the next Sylvan comes along to argue for lesser trained grunts to reduce cost and open up the lists, you say "but they won't have the skill or experience"

??
View Quote

IMO, no. You are talking to two different standards but you don't have a frame of reference to base that off of...at all. Taken literally (the bolded), those assessing for CAG have often BTDT elsewhere...the vast majority of us (95% - 99.9%, total WAG) in my UPT class and on had zero experience prior. I get it though, I know that wasn't the point of the post.

UPT is about the basics. Taking a guy with zero experience and teaching him to fly close to other aircraft and in some dynamic situations...that's not even the start of employing aircraft. I started flying CAS with ~35-40 hours in the Viper during B-Course. Obviously, the Hogs do it a little quicker. Either way it's not a lot of time in a new airframe with exponentially more capabilities than training aircraft.

Who knows what (if anything) will happen to the proposal, interesting though for sure.

Some good/and bad information here, either way it's something to learn from. I will say this though...to think the AF has a retention problem because people don't want to get shot at is about as retarded as it comes. IMO and what I have seen we don't have an issue/shortage of applicants, never have. We have a shortage of IPs/SEFEs/etc and are bottlenecking from UPT to FTU/RTU.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#32]
So why is there a pilot shortage?   I assume its because major flyboy wants to fly and not take his family to maxwell and then 3 years in dc.   So they punch so they can fly somewhere else.

Army has majors resign and sign up as cw2s so they can just fly
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

IMO, no. You are talking to two different standards but you don't have a frame of reference to base that off of...at all. Taken literally (the bolded), those assessing for CAG have often BTDT elsewhere...the vast majority of us (95% - 99.9%, total WAG) in my UPT class and on had zero experience prior. I get it though, I know that wasn't the point of the post.

UPT is about the basics. Taking a guy with zero experience and teaching him to fly close to other aircraft and in some dynamic situations...that's not even the start of employing aircraft. I started flying CAS with ~35-40 hours in the Viper during B-Course. Obviously, the Hogs do it a little quicker. Either way it's not a lot of time in a new airframe with exponentially more capabilities than training aircraft.

Who knows what (if anything) will happen to the proposal, interesting though for sure.

Some good/and bad information here, either way it's something to learn from. I will say this though...to think the AF has a retention problem because people don't want to get shot at is about as retarded as it comes. IMO and what I have seen we don't have an issue/shortage of applicants, never have. We have a shortage of IPs/SEFEs/etc and are bottlenecking from UPT to FTU/RTU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

??

I'm a civilian; what does all that crap (in red) mean?

By no means am I educated in this, just making some basic arguments based on the info I've read from this and other CAS threads. But what I'm reading in the blue text above is that it really shouldn't take long, or be that expensive, to get usable pilots for CAS. So where is the fork? What happens between A) We can get pilots read for CAS quickly to B) AF Pilots are expensive as hell, fly super expensive airframes that apparently aren't used for CAS enough. ??
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So why is there a pilot shortage?   I assume its because major flyboy wants to fly and not take his family to maxwell and then 3 years in dc.   So they punch so they can fly somewhere else.

View Quote

In my opinion, just my honest assessment it's different for everyone and it's community dependent. Take from it what you will.

Do some just want to fly, skip the staff and pursue what they feel their purpose is? Absolutely. It would be a dishonest/ignorant statement to say otherwise but you can't lump everyone into that group. Money is absolutely better elsewhere for less "distractors" but that isn't everyone's reason. Some are tired, just like everyone else the CAF has been extremely busy for the last 16+ years...I know you have seen it, who hasn't. People get worn out, simple as that. Some want to focus on family, their kids are older and they are tired of uprooting their families every two years. Stability has been huge for the guys I know that are jumping to the ANG/AFRC, they get a chance to let their families relax, let their kids make/keep friends, you name the reason. Hell, some just want a chance to do something new. I have personally seen people from each of these groups.

Like I said, just my .02s worth.

mp9fan
I'll send a PM later when I have a little more time to describe what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

funny the parallels.  

Also funny for a pussy who has never been on the ground and won't even fly close to it to talk smack.

but I am sure he saved thousands of soldiers by his brave dropping bombs on grids given to him by someone else.

View Quote

Sigh. Another internet tough guy. When all else fails...

I will thank you for this; your maturity and attitude, as a commander of troops, is giving me a lot of insight about why OIF and OEF went so well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In my opinion, just my honest assessment it's different for everyone and it's community dependent. Take from it what you will.

Do some just want to fly, skip the staff and pursue what they feel their purpose is? Absolutely. It would be a dishonest/ignorant statement to say otherwise but you can't lump everyone into that group. Money is absolutely better elsewhere for less "distractors" but that isn't everyone's reason. Some are tired, just like everyone else the CAF has been extremely busy for the last 16+ years...I know you have seen it, who hasn't. People get worn out, simple as that. Some want to focus on family, their kids are older and they are tired of uprooting their families every two years. Stability has been huge for the guys I know that are jumping to the ANG/AFRC, they get a chance to let their families relax, let their kids make/keep friends, you name the reason. Hell, some just want a chance to do something new. I have personally seen people from each of these groups.

mp9fan
I'll send a PM later when I have a little more time to describe what I am talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mp9fan

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just as a point of procedure, I don't think the supported/supported relationship exists doctrinally at echelons below the GCC/FCC. I'd love the know if I'm wrong.

I do believe it exists within Army doctrine implicitly as main/supporting efforts, but that is as much a phasing as command relationship and resources tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So just like Sylvan, as the supported commander you don't ask for what you need but when the supporting element doesn't provide it then it's the Air Force's fault?

These threads are always interesting.

Just as a point of procedure, I don't think the supported/supported relationship exists doctrinally at echelons below the GCC/FCC. I'd love the know if I'm wrong.

I do believe it exists within Army doctrine implicitly as main/supporting efforts, but that is as much a phasing as command relationship and resources tool.

JFCs can create subordinate JFC's, and specify supporting/supported roles... But they usually don't, because making the next star, or getting the next desired appointment isn't about winning wars, it's about sucking dick and making as many powerful friends as you can.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Its easier to get a DFC flying day missions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kiowas were shot down in Iraq and AFG fairly regularly. All that did was get the rest of the pilots more focused on the job, and there was never a shortage of dudes wanting to fly them.

Kiowas were shot down?

Have you ever considered only flying at night?  Might be safer that way.

Its easier to get a DFC flying day missions.

The biggest problem with Kiowas, is they don't have enough lift to carry around the pilots huge brass balls. Our sackless Army brass was of course intimidated, so they had to end the whole program.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Aren't we going to all smart munitions?  Why does the pilot have to do any work in 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That defeats the entire purpose of a manned aircraft. If you are just going to drop on a grid, use artillery or missiles. It's cheaper, faster, all weather, less risky and more reliable.

The only possible advantage added by a manned aircraft is reconnaissance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sigh. Another internet tough guy. When all else fails...

I will thank you for this; your maturity and attitude, as a commander of troops, is giving me a lot of insight about why OIF and OEF went so well.
View Quote

Did your mommy type that for you?

We failed in gwot because we fight small wars with bigger budgets than the public will accept. And using an air doctrine created in ww2 with fighters designed to fight the commie hordes are a huge part of that problem
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lets name the C130, C141, C17, and C5 shot down in OEF, OIF....

Lets name the Ch47s shot down day and night doing the Lords work...
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lets name the C130, C141, C5 shot down in OEF, OIF....

View Quote

thats different.

you aren't as valuable.

its a brilliant model.  buy aircraft so expensive they can never be used properly in actual combat (but crash the fuck out of them at airshows, thats totally cool)
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

thats different.

you aren't as valuable.

its a brilliant model.  buy aircraft so expensive they can never be used properly in actual combat (but crash the fuck out of them at airshows, thats totally cool)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets name the C130, C141, C5 shot down in OEF, OIF....

thats different.

you aren't as valuable.

Lookin cool for recruitment that they say doesn't work
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lookin cool for recruitment that they say doesn't work
View Quote

Pilots in the AF have determined that pilots in the AF need a lot more money.

thats some top notch service to the nation right there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We failed in gwot because we fight small wars with bigger budgets than the public will accept. And using an air doctrine created in ww2 with fighters designed to fight the commie hordes are a huge part of that problem
View Quote

Never in the field of human conflict can I remember a counter insurgent force essentially self-limiting its prime advantages.

Could anyone imagine US forces in Astan or Iraq not having supplies because the Navy was busy building convoys and running them to Europe and Asia at 7 knots because that's the most efficient way to secure it?

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Never in the field of human conflict can I remember a counter insurgent force essentially self-limiting its prime advantages.

Could anyone imagine US forces in Astan or Iraq not having supplies because the Navy was busy building convoys and running them to Europe and Asia at 7 knots because that's the most efficient way to secure it?
View Quote

You don't care about the lives of your sailors.

were you ever brought up on charges because of your callous disregard?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Manned aircraft as also flexible. Humans are really good at exploiting advantages quickly. Air combat is really three dimensional chess played in a 45000 foot by 400 mile by 400 mile box, where the adversaries are constantly matching their advantages of sensors, endurance, speed, altitude, and weapons against adversary disadvantages of the same at speeds where seconds are measured in miles.

Let's make sure we tie them to a 72 hour planning model.

The USMC and USN saw this early on, which is why MAGTF sorties and ship defense sorties are doctrinally carved out of Joint doctrine, and why USN/USMC operations are by definition not Joint.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Manned aircraft as also flexible. Humans are really good at exploiting advantages quickly. Air combat is really three dimensional chess played in a 45000 foot by 400 mile by 400 mile box, where the adversaries are constantly matching their advantages of sensors, endurance, speed, altitude, and weapons against adversary disadvantages of the same at speeds where seconds are measured in miles.

Let's make sure we tie them to a 72 hour planning model.

The USMC and USN saw this early on, which is why MAGTF sorties and ship defense sorties are doctrinally carved out of Joint doctrine, and why USN/USMC operations are by definition not Joint.
View Quote

Its kinda amazing that after 70 years of amazing support from the AF to the Army, the Navy and Marines haven't seen the light and abandoned having their own tactical air forces.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until we're ready (both technologically and philosophically) to let every step of the "kill chain" including weapon release happen autonomously, manned platforms are still going to be the preferred method of missions like CAS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If only everyone in this thread did the same.
View Quote

Does that include the spending of my tax dollars?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top