BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you ever conned a ship through the Strait of Malacca?  30-40 contacts, all tracking to within 500 yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A qualified bridge team and OOW on the navy ship should never let a radar contact get closer than 1/4 a mile anyway. That destroyer is like a Corvette to a cargo ship's Kenworth. It can go full ahead and hard over and simply drive away from any potential ramming while out to sea.

They cant just start blasting away that's for sure.
Have you ever conned a ship through the Strait of Malacca?  30-40 contacts, all tracking to within 500 yards.
I did that a few times on a 120' yacht that only did 10 knots.  It was like being a mouse running on the highway. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone see the damage to Japanese cargo ship???
Can't seem to find a photo of it any where in the web..
View Quote
There are plenty of pictures at each of the links for this story all over the web.  ship name is ACX Crystal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are plenty of pictures at each of the links for this story all over the web.  ship name is ACX Crystal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and there are plenty of pics in this thread
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I did that a few times on a 120' yacht that only did 10 knots.  It was like being a mouse running on the highway. 
View Quote
A 120k yacht is a fucking bass boat compared to a 500ft long ship that displaces 10k tons of sea water.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A 120k yacht is a fucking bass boat compared to a 500ft long ship that displaces 10k tons of sea water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Precisely, hence the mouse comment.  Those nights I longed for my old 850' containership.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#8]
USNA Glee Club The Navy Hymn -eternal father spring concert tour 2016
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pic
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
OK time for a week rant at the US MSM,  overnight, the BBC talked about the boat in Yokosuka, and so did NPR this morning.  The difference?  NPR has no clue how to pronounce it.

It's

yo KOOZE kaa

not like John Lenin's fictional sister-in-law

yoko sukaa

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn. As much as it sucks to view those pictures, it also makes me very proud. Those sailors were put in a fatal situation. But they kept her afloat and brought her to safety with the stars and stripes flying. Best goddamned Navy the world has ever known.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK time for a week rant at the US MSM,  overnight, the BBC talked about the boat in Yokosuka, and so did NPR this morning.  The difference?  NPR has no clue how to pronounce it.

It's

yo KOOZE kaa

not like John Lenin's fictional sister-in-law

yoko sukaa

View Quote
I'll admit to making that mistake a few years ago when I took the train from Tokyo station there to see the Battleship Mikasa.   Fortunately I was taught the correct pronunciation by some of the other folks on the train, which was probably 50% Americans, many of which Navy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha has some answering to do, things like this should be prevented.   Busy route.   Bless those that are lost and are injured.
View Quote
No the destroyer has answering to do. The cargo ship was the stand on vessel. The part where they screwed up was not turning away to avoid the collision soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pic
View Quote
You can kinda see damage to bulbous bow through the water. That is what killed those men and flooded the DDG.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
ignore
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know if this has already been posted. My wife just told she read just now that they found the remaining sailors still in the ship. They didn't make it.

Edit. Here it is. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/us/missing-sailors-found/index.html
View Quote
Yes, many news sources are reporting this... They were in the flooded compartments that the crew only just gained access to.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ignore
View Quote
Damn. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm sure some of the ex-navy guys on here can confirm but a navy ship has at least a dozen people on the bridge and several lookouts when underway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have always guessed they are asleep at the wheel. Can launch a tomahawk missle into a hut 100 miles away but manages to collide with a giant container ship
I'm sure some of the ex-navy guys on here can confirm but a navy ship has at least a dozen people on the bridge and several lookouts when underway.
Nine on watch.  Capt. can be there any time he likes.

Officer of the Deck, Jr. OOD, Helm, Lee Helm, BMOW, messenger, port & starboard lookouts, at least one QM.

My info may be outdated...

The JOOD was probably a butterbar fresh from Anapolis and thought his mighty warship had the right of way over everything on the High Seas.  That's what happened with some horrible accident in the Med when a DDG(?) expected a carrier to change course for them c. 1980.  The helmsman threw the rudder over to full and saved the smaller ship from sinking, but there was a huge conflagration and at least one other DDG was called in to assist.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Missing Sailors found dead:

(CNN)All seven missing sailors from the USS Fitzgerald were found dead in flooded berthing compartments following the warship's collision with a merchant vessel, a US Navy official told CNN on Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/us/missing-sailors-found/index.html
View Quote
So sad.

At least all are accounted for. I was worried of the possibilty that some could have washed away.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nine on watch.  Capt. can be there any time he likes.

Officer of the Deck, Jr. OOD, Helm, Lee Helm, BMOW, messenger, port & starboard lookouts, at least one QM.

My info may be outdated...

The JOOD was probably a butterbar fresh from Anapolis and thought his mighty warship had the right of way over everything on the High Seas.  That's what happened with some horrible accident in the Med when a DDG(?) expected a carrier to change course for them c. 1980.  The helmsman threw the rudder over to full and saved the smaller ship from sinking, but there was a huge conflagration and at least one other DDG was called in to assist.
View Quote
English, please, for those of us that have never been in the Navy.

Thanks,

And once again for the Seven Sailors:

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]
we have tracking for the container ship posted several times in this thread along with speed and direction. How come there is nothing posted for the Navy ship? 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
we have tracking for the container ship posted several times in this thread along with speed and direction. How come there is nothing posted for the Navy ship? 
View Quote
I'm assuming the tracks for our Navy ships are not open source.

They'll put it up after the investigation is over, if it's deemed necessary.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seriously? 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm late here, what a mess.

Sad to hear about our sailors.

Anymore Info besides that the USN boat didn't give way?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow.

"There was a big puncture, a big gash underneath the waterline" along the bottom of the ship, Aucoin said.The water flow into compartments that were berthing areas for 116 of the
ship's crew was "tremendous", he said, adding that "there wasn't a lot
of time in those spaces that were open to the sea."

Aucoin said the cabin of the Fitzgerald's captain, Cmdr. Bryce Benson, was completely destroyed. "He's lucky to be alive," he added.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I am proud to say that I am a FITZGERALD Plankowner.

Here are some pictures from the day of Commissioning.  My grandparents came to visit.

I was so young and thin back then I hardly recognize myself.

ETA:  I dont know why the pics dont work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow.

"There was a big puncture, a big gash underneath the waterline" along the bottom of the ship, Aucoin said.The water flow into compartments that were berthing areas for 116 of the
ship's crew was "tremendous", he said, adding that "there wasn't a lot
of time in those spaces that were open to the sea."

Aucoin said the cabin of the Fitzgerald's captain, Cmdr. Bryce Benson, was completely destroyed. "He's lucky to be alive," he added.
View Quote
Being asleep in your rack only to be jolted or thrown awake by a tremendous crash. Trying to figure out what the fuck is happening, in the dark, while the space is quickly filling with water. Everyone wading/swimming their way to the ladder well and trying to get up it as fast as they can without slipping, while wet, and in their underwear/PJ's.

I hope the dead were mostly killed by the impact.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I haven't read all 12 pages to see if it's been asked, but what if someone GPS spoofed them into that ship? 

Wouldn't be the first time NAVY GPS has been spoofed by foreign states. IRAN comes to mind, and the NORK's aren't too far away.
View Quote
Even if that happened, it still wouldn't be acceptable. GPS receivers can and do fail or have degraded accuracy occasionally, a good plot from relative range and bearing should keep you out of trouble.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even if that happened, it still wouldn't be acceptable. GPS receivers can and do fail or have degraded accuracy occasionally, a good plot from relative range and bearing should keep you out of trouble.
View Quote
And radar, which would have captured the location of nearby vessels without the need for GPS. I don't need to know my GPS location to know there's an inbound vessel <5 nm off my starboard side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Absolute shame. Horrible way to go and pray for those sailors and families.

The truth / cause will come out soon enough - no need to worry about that now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And radar, which would have captured the location of nearby vessels without the need for GPS. I don't need to know my GPS location to know there's an inbound vessel <5 nm off my starboard side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well of course. Relative motion with trails on, or transfering data to a plotting sheet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you always have 2+ lookouts (at least on a navy ship's bridge) with MK 1 eyeballs to see the other ship's running lights.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seriously? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously? 
Yeah seriously, its not like the fawking thing is invisible or was traveling in some contested waters doing stealth shit. there would have been several dozen ships, from what the experts in this thread are saying about the congestion in that area, that would have been tracking the navy ship along with all the others in their proximity. Im not suggesting relaeasing its whereabounts for the proceeding week but the tracking for the proceeding hour would unlikely compromise national security. Unless of course the Navy already knows they are at fault and dont want to provide any evidence that could be incriminating. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah seriously, its not like the fawking thing is invisible or was traveling in some contested waters doing stealth shit. there would have been several dozen ships, from what the experts in this thread are saying about the congestion in that area, that would have been tracking the navy ship along with all the others in their proximity. Im not suggesting relaeasing its whereabounts for the proceeding week but the tracking for the proceeding hour would unlikely compromise national security. Unless of course the Navy already knows they are at fault and dont want to provide any evidence that could be incriminating. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously? 
That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you happen to know of any videos of that I'd like to see it? The videos of the CVN and DDG turning at flank speed are impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you don't know that it did.

That ship was very likely operating on split plant, meaning one shaft is turning and the other is windmilling.

To bring the ship up to full plant to evade collision does not happen in a few seconds. Its not like a car where you just floor it.

Edit: There are also some spots out at sea where there is a lot of vessels going to a lot of places, your "hyperspace" comparison is really silly and in no way realistic.
Split plant means two turbines are driving one shaft and two turbines are driving the other.  I.E. the plant is split.  What you're describing is trail shaft.  There's really no good reason to do that in normal ops, though most likely they were running one turbine per side.

It only takes a minute or so to start a GTE, even if they were running trail shaft.  They may not have had full power available, but slamming the throttles forward, even if they were trailing one shaft, still gives pretty impressive acceleration.  It would basically be similar to a FFG configuration with one engine running.  Still plenty of pickup available, but you'd need to apply lots of offsetting rudder to compensate for the asymmetric thrust.

I take it you've never served on a gas turbine ship... watching a DDG or CG go from DIW to Ahead Flank 3 is impressive.  The stern digs in and it throws up a rooster tail like you wouldn't believe.
Do you happen to know of any videos of that I'd like to see it? The videos of the CVN and DDG turning at flank speed are impressive.
I skimmed Youtube for a bit to find one, but sadly came up dry.  There are a few good crashback videos though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I know it's becoming more common in the lower end recreational world to run AIS only, and no Radar. The USCG will scare the crap out of recreational boaters doing that in the middle of the night, just slipping up and seeing what's going on.

It may be the case that the Cargo ship was not running radar, the DDG was almost certainly not transmitting AIS, and thus the Cargo ship had no idea they were there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somewhat off topic, since there seems to be a lot of good information here, was the decision to discontinue LORAN as a backup to GPS as bad as everyone has suggested?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I haven't read all 12 pages to see if it's been asked, but what if someone GPS spoofed them into that ship? 

Wouldn't be the first time NAVY GPS has been spoofed by foreign states. IRAN comes to mind, and the NORK's aren't too far away.
View Quote
No.  You don't do collision avoidance by GPS.  You have radar and windows.  Especially windows. 

And .mil GPS meaconing is next to impossible now that the new M-code only (encrypted) GPS units are out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Somewhat off topic, since there seems to be a lot of good information here, was the decision to discontinue LORAN as a backup to GPS as bad as everyone has suggested?
View Quote
No.  Using LORAN overlay charts and interpolating time delays was a pain in the ass anyhow.  Only thing worse was OMEGA.

Yes, I'm old.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I have had the Coast Guard to sneak up on us offshore on the sailboat. It's kind of funny when you take a look around and there's a cutter right behind you
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That is why the base at Subic Bay should never have been allowed to close.  As bad as that is, that was well within the ship repair facility's ability to repair.
View Quote
Yokosuka is a major fleet base for both the US and JMSDF. They have every capability that Subic would have had.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yokosuka is a major fleet base for both the US and JMSDF. They have every capability that Subic would have had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why the base at Subic Bay should never have been allowed to close.  As bad as that is, that was well within the ship repair facility's ability to repair.
Well, almost
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh yeah, why's that Captain?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dunno man, it's pretty early in the week yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/bd/bd8b40f6104828a3ba1c55f49560df16a95f365802f0b53be374065c860141c2.jpg
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No.  Using LORAN overlay charts and interpolating time delays was a pain in the ass anyhow.  Only thing worse was OMEGA.

Yes, I'm old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm old.
I've never even seen a LORAN reciever in person, and I still had to do that BS on my first license exam.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#50]
YOKOSUKA, Japan — The mother of a U.S. Navy sailor who survived a direct hit to his sleeping berth during a collision at sea said her son kept diving to try to save his shipmates until the flooded berth began running out of air pockets, while others — believing the ship was under attack — hurried to man the guns.

Mia Sykes of Raleigh, North Carolina, told The Associated Press on Sunday that her 19-year-old son, Brayden Harden, was knocked out of his bunk by the impact, and water immediately began filling the berth, after their destroyer, the USS Fitzgerald, collided with a Philippine-flagged container ship four times its size off the Japanese coast.

The ships collided about 2:20 a.m. Saturday, when the Navy said most of the 300 sailors on board would have been sleeping, and authorities have declined to speculate on a cause while the crash remains under investigation.

Sykes says her son told her that four men in his berth, including those sleeping on bunks above and below him died, while three died in the berth above his.

“They did what they were trained to do,” said Sykes, who said she hopes her son, from Herrin, Illinois, can come home to be with family as he works through what happened. “You have to realize most of them are 18, 19 and 20-year-olds living with guilt. But I told him, ‘There’s a reason you’re still here and make that count.’ ”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/navy-says-bodies-of-missing-sailors-found-inside-uss-fitzgerald/
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top