Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where was the TAO and combat backing up the bridge?I bet the JO's had their face buried in the radar and failed to walk on the bridge wing and assess the situation, I've seen it happen so many times as OOD.
View Quote
Pure speculation, but perhaps they had AEGIS in BMD mode and the TAO was target focused on the threat axis to the NW.  That doesn't excuse the surface plot guy, who should have been looking at SPS-55 video.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There's also discrepancy about the collision occurring around 1:30 AM or 2:30 AM.
View Quote
Yeah Japanese CG is trying to figure out why such a difference in reported times of impact.  Almost like one ship didn't have their clocks updated to current time zone.  Knowing for sure what time might help explain the cargo ships tracking timeline.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
People say that these are 'busy shipping lanes' but is there any evidence of any other close ship traffic in the area at the time of collision?

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
People say that these are 'busy shipping lanes' but is there any evidence of any other close ship traffic in the area at the time of collision?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChrINHXsAAZ3cO.jpg:large
View Quote
400 ships a day. You can walk all the ais tracks back if you want to, or you can wait for the investigation.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This sucks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think these times are fucked up, and I wouldn't trust any TV "analyst" to tell me if it was day or night.

I can't believe any sane mariner would do a 180 in a shipping lane as busy as that one. (or any other)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think these times are fucked up, and I wouldn't trust any TV "analyst" to tell me if it was day or night.

I can't believe any sane mariner would do a 180 in a shipping lane as busy as that one. (or any other)
What about someone practicing on the bridge for a promotion, in over their head?

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Kinda seems like the case of an 18wheeler caught on the rail road tracks as a train barrels through.  Probably a bit of a glancing blow if the DD started to turn away at the last minute, but betting the container ship never changed speed or course until well after.   The speculation of terrorism might hold true if the container ship didn't do an expected or reported course correction, but seems unlikely that it would have turned to avoid, then turned back around to try to ram the destroyer.  Physics being what it is, unless the destroyer was completely dead in the water or sailing at a constant speed and heading, trying to intentionally ram it and set and intercept course would be pretty tough in a huge container ship.   Now, if roles were reversed it is not as hard.

I think the most plausible explanation from earlier posts is going to be what happened.  Container ship on autopilot, hits something, returns to course, and by the time the crew can react and start turning around it is several minutes later.   I think the only thing open for speculation is how the Vincennes managed to get in the way other than a series of mistakes and misunderstanding of the data they had at the time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've never even seen a LORAN reciever in person, and I still had to do that BS on my first license exam.
View Quote
LORAN was plenty accurate for aircraft approaches.

(Probably the last guy to shoot LORAN approaches in actual instrument conditions.)
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My experience is that they always answer hails from warships.
View Quote
I guess I need bigger guns...

I have AIS on a few vessels I run, but always prefer to audibly agree on a one whistle or two whistle pass if anywhere within 5nm and on anything near a direct heading.  I've hailed commercial carriers in the  early morning hours when in storms or other sloppy conditions, and less than 5% of the time get a response.  I was within a few miles of a sailboat last year in becalmed conditions off Mexico hailing as they got within .25nm of him, and he never got a response.  Maybe they just consider vessels under 300GT crunchies.  Commercial vessels are their own breed, and I try to stay out of their way.  I don't know how relevant that is, but my experience is that commercial vessels aren't very collaborative outside their own kind.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn bro, chill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The more and more I see shit like this it boggles my mind. Seriously were supposed to be the best military in the world and we cannot stop jets from flying into buildings, and terrorists out of our country. What the hell will a navy destroyer ever destroy in war if it cannot avoid a civilian cargo ship. Now the Japanese know instead of warships to fight our fleet just get the civilian ships to take out our navy. Bumper boat wars. I suppose our tax dollars will pay for this shit to. Between U.N. cutting our nuts off to fight wars and our countries growing incompetence I am thinking we will never win another conflict until we tell them all to fuck off. If that captain did his job  or the officer on the deck had. That boat would be 100% and cargo ship would have been sunk to avoid this.
Damn bro, chill
Those container ships are large. Like a freight train ramming against a terminal stop, slow but too powerful to stop
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both vessels were at fault (if two vessels impact, it's because they BOTH didn't do their jobs), and I'd like to think a commercial vessels in those waters would be more alert to problems.  With that said, I'm not going to discount what you're saying.  I know commercial carriers won't answer radio hails from other vessels, and always wondered if it was because they didn't care, didn't speak English, or simply weren't there.
The Navy never seemed to monitor 16.  Maybe they did, but they sure as fuck never answered on it. 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I never noticed the huge gash on the Crystal in the other pics

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have AIS on a few vessels I run, but always prefer to audibly agree on a one whistle or two whistle pass if anywhere within 5nm and on anything near a direct heading.  I've hailed commercial carriers in the  early morning hours when in storms or other sloppy conditions, and less than 5% of the time get a response.  I was within a few miles of a sailboat last year in becalmed conditions off Mexico hailing as they got within .25nm of him, and he never got a response.  Maybe they just consider vessels under 300GT crunchies.  Commercial vessels are their own breed, and I try to stay out of their way.  I don't know how relevant that is, but my experience is that commercial vessels aren't very collaborative outside their own kind.
View Quote
A pleasure boater out puttering around will usually get ignored, because they and you both know you're going to get the hell out of their way regardless(I'm sure you noticed they usually answered other ships).

I never ignored y'all when I was hailed, but barring some exigency I did find it annoying when someone wanted to get technical instead of just staying out of my way lol.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes
Occam's Razor, the simplest answer is usually the right one.

Ergo, some human error led to a catastrophic mishap.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sherlock Holmes

Occam's razor in this case would point to the crystal intentionally ramming the Fitz.  Every other explanation requires a long list of errors on both sides and still doesn't account for the u-turn that it seems is now being agreed that it took place before the collision.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Occam's razor in this case would point to the crystal intentionally ramming the Fitz.  Every other explanation requires a long list of errors on both sides and still doesn't account for the u-turn that it seems is now being agreed that it took place before the collision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sherlock Holmes

The turn clearly happened well after the collision.  The collision happened at 0130, using whatever timeline that AIS track shows.  How that relates to real time, I don't know yet, but the collision is obvious in the track -- and that tells the story pretty clearly, and your conspiracy theory isn't supportable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I never noticed the huge gash on the Crystal in the other pics

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCr8WuRUQAA_BHU.jpg
View Quote
It's not as obvious when you're looking down at the ship from above as most of the pics have been. Looking at it straight on, it looks like a pretty big tear, but it's above the waterline.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol.

consider a giant walmart parking lot, with two vehicles.
one guy driving a go-kart, and another guy driving a steam roller.

tell us your strategy wherein as the steam roller guy you can intentionally ram the go kart guy.

ps
the U-turn happened after the collision.  the container ship turned around to render aid.
by the way, doing a 180 turn in a container ship takes the better part of an hour.
nothing a container ship does happens "suddenly".   there are 2+ acres of topside space.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A pleasure boater out puttering around will usually get ignored, because they and you both know you're going to get the hell out of their way regardless(I'm sure you noticed they usually answered other ships).

I never ignored y'all when I was hailed, but barring some exigency I did find it annoying when someone wanted to get technical instead of just staying out of my way lol.
View Quote

Yup. But don't take it the wrong way, it's just that I have better things to do than talk to a yachtie when I'm Towing a 600ft long ship.

Just stay away, you can do it very easily.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

And 9/11 was an inside job...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bet the capt won't do that again.
View Quote
the Navy captain will never have the chance to unless it's his personal watercraft.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup. But don't take it the wrong way, it's just that I have better things to do than talk to a yachtie when I'm Towing a 600ft long ship.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely understood and expected!!  Understand I'm not hailing on CH13 or CH16 to ask about their view or what they had for dinner, and I'm not bugging them while in a port or heavy traffic area.  I understand it's my job to stay out of the way.  The only time I think I've ever hailed is at night and/or in weather.  Last Friday I was crossing the gulfstream on my way back to FL and hit some pretty heavy weather with waterspouts, lightning and heavy winds.  There were multiple cargo vessels traveling north at probably around 15 knots while I was on a westerly heading at an equal speed.  We all know I was the stand-on vessel, but the law of gross tonnage left me clearly the loser on that topic.  We got down to pretty low vis (less than 1/4 mile), and my radar didn't show their location within the weather to my southwest.  I know there were two big boys in there on what was basically a collision course, but didn't know where they were.  I didn't hail them (as I've pretty much given up on commercial vessels responding), but it's a situation where I thought about it.  AIS obviously would have helped.  As it was we proceeded with a nervous eye to port and a hand on the throttle.  

Another example was the sailboat off Mexico in becalmed weather in the path of a cargo carrier.  He was limited in his ability to maneuver and wanted to make sure the vessel saw him and ask whether he should speed up or slow down to stay out of their path.  He said it was pretty eerie watching it pass within 1/4nm off his nose without any response.  He was hailing me to make sure I was going to pull him out in the event of a crunch and make sure he was okay.  Again, no big deal, but a quick response of "hold your course and speed and we'll pass on your bow" would have been nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Completely understood and expected!!  Understand I'm not hailing on CH13 or CH16 to ask about their view or what they had for dinner, and I'm not bugging them while in a port or heavy traffic area.  I understand it's my job to stay out of the way.  The only time I think I've ever hailed is at night and/or in weather.  Last Friday I was crossing the gulfstream on my way back to FL and hit some pretty heavy weather with waterspouts, lightning and heavy winds.  There were multiple cargo vessels traveling north at probably around 15 knots while I was on a westerly heading at an equal speed.  We all know I was the stand-on vessel, but the law of gross tonnage left me clearly the loser on that topic.  We got down to pretty low vis (less than 1/4 mile), and my radar didn't show their location within the weather to my southwest.  I know there were two big boys in there on what was basically a collision course, but didn't know where they were.  I didn't hail them (as I've pretty much given up on commercial vessels responding), but it's a situation where I thought about it.  AIS obviously would have helped.  As it was we proceeded with a nervous eye to port and a hand on the throttle.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Radar-of-storm-234797.jpg

Another example was the sailboat off Mexico in becalmed weather in the path of a cargo carrier.  He was limited in his ability to maneuver and wanted to make sure the vessel saw him and ask whether he should speed up or slow down to stay out of their path.  He said it was pretty eerie watching it pass within 1/4nm off his nose without any response.  He was hailing me to make sure I was going to pull him out in the event of a crunch and make sure he was okay.  Again, no big deal, but a quick response of "hold your course and speed and we'll pass on your bow" would have been nice.
View Quote

Strap a highflier on your fishing boat if you wanna be "seen" on radar and don't look like sea clutter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doesn't match my experience, which, when it comes to bridge watches, is >15 years old.  Some of the non-answering is probably due to either language issues or poor radio communications skill from junior USN bridge team members.  I invested plenty of time into teaching my Conns/JOODs to talk on bridge-to-bridge like people, not like they were communicating on Fleet Tac.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Good Morning America reports that some of the seven dead sailors were alive when the hatches were shut to keep the ship from sinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4621656/US-sailors-trapped-ALIVE-USS-Fitzgerald-sank.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
USCG took LORAN offline quite some time ago....good luck with that sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a LORAN unit in my old boat. It never worked.

I also know where there is a New In Box LORAN unit for sale.
USCG took LORAN offline quite some time ago....good luck with that sale.
I know...it's at the boat dealer I used to work at on the shelf.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@midcap To sum up 14 pages of discussion: while military vessels may use AIS ('automatic identification system' - a beacon that gives your vessel information, course, speed, etc.) they typically don't do this 24x7 as this will advertise their location to the public for obvious reasons.  I'm not aware of any information about the track of the Fitzgerald.  The commercial vessel did have AIS as required, and there is information about their track (although timestamps are questionable at this point, and I'd encourage not to believe the 'mysterious U-turn' alleged early on).  This was posted by 'realwar' on page 9:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/17/14/417F0B6400000578-4612334-image-a-8_1497707969392.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do we have a link to the track of the ships?

I'd like to see what happened.
@midcap To sum up 14 pages of discussion: while military vessels may use AIS ('automatic identification system' - a beacon that gives your vessel information, course, speed, etc.) they typically don't do this 24x7 as this will advertise their location to the public for obvious reasons.  I'm not aware of any information about the track of the Fitzgerald.  The commercial vessel did have AIS as required, and there is information about their track (although timestamps are questionable at this point, and I'd encourage not to believe the 'mysterious U-turn' alleged early on).  This was posted by 'realwar' on page 9:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/17/14/417F0B6400000578-4612334-image-a-8_1497707969392.jpg
Interesting.

I am just curious as to if one of the ships were running perpendicular to the shipping lanes.

When I pilot my boat around the pass if I have to cross the channel I make damn sure I am not going to run into someone's path. I can't expect the big OSVs to stop for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good Morning America reports that some of the seven dead sailors were alive when the hatches were shut to keep the ship from sinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4621656/US-sailors-trapped-ALIVE-USS-Fitzgerald-sank.html
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about we wait for the investigation report.

Intentionally sensational headline makes a declarative statement of fact:
"Seven dead sailors 'were trapped ALIVE inside flooding USS Fitzgerald after their comrades were forced to shut them in to stop the stricken vessel from sinking' after collision with cargo ship"

Actual article text reveals the Navy is looking into the possibility:
"The Navy is investigating the horrifying possibility that some of those who died on the USS Fitzgerald when it sank may have been trapped alive in rapidly flooding compartments as emergency hatches were closed, it has emerged. "
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"Seven dead sailors 'were trapped ALIVE inside flooding USS Fitzgerald after their comrades were forced to shut them in to stop the stricken vessel from sinking' after collision with cargo ship"

"The Navy is investigating the horrifying possibility that some of those who died on the USS Fitzgerald when it sank may have been trapped alive in rapidly flooding compartments as emergency hatches were closed, it has emerged. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were though.

For the non-sea going or knowledgeable folks, look at some WW2 reports. If it's between saving 7 people and saving the ship, the hatch gets closed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Which is exactly why we train our troops to follow orders without questioning them.* Situations like having to close a hatch with comrades on the other side of the bulkhead suck, but they happen.

*Obviously, not including illegal orders.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I do have that claim to fame! Used it once for quals, we did do a 2nd plot with it as well as a cel-nav and dead reckoning plot on off shore trip when bored out of our minds. Shortly after the Loran receivers were removed.

Quoted:

(Probably the last guy to shoot LORAN approaches in actual instrument conditions.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never even seen a LORAN reciever in person, and I still had to do that BS on my first license exam.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, Brian Williams saw it himself.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#37]
It's entirely possible, and probable it was the correct decision on the responding parties. They will have to live with the aftermath. Good Speed sailors, both gone and surviving.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see your Occam's razor and kick it in the balls with Hanlon's Razor:  Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You ever do that confused shuffle in a hallway or bump into someone while walking?  How about a "slam on the brakes" moment in a car?  That's how, just with worse maneuverability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does a collision like that happen?
You ever do that confused shuffle in a hallway or bump into someone while walking?  How about a "slam on the brakes" moment in a car?  That's how, just with worse maneuverability.
No. Just no.

There are no written and internationally accepted rules for walking down a hallway and comparing shipping lanes to automotive traffic is ridiculous.

In an incident like this there will be a primary and secondary responsible party, but BOTH are at fault to some degree.  There is a duty to avoid collision regardless of right of way.

Many careers on both ships ended with that collision, and well they should.  It's sad that so many were hurt and killed as a result.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Strap a highflier on your fishing boat if you wanna be "seen" on radar and don't look like sea clutter.
View Quote
I hang a radar reflector in the flybridge when in open water, but I don't know how much it helps.  I'm maybe a 2 on a scale of 10 when it comes to maritime capability, so I hate to even weigh in on threads like this.  I've not been able to successfully differentiate between other vessels and weather on radar, which makes navigation in weather at night in particular such a risky thing.  I have no idea if this is relevant to the problems with the Fitzgerald collision, but 'noise pollution' is a very real thing in my experience.  

For those that were asking about why it's tough to keep track of other vessels in a crowded channel - here's a shot I found online of a radar with AIS overlay in a channel with minimal traffic.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sherlock Holmes

No, it doesn't.  That is extremely unlikely, and bordering on impossible.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's entirely possible, and probable it was the correct decision on the responding parties. They will have to live with the aftermath. Good Speed sailors, both gone and surviving.
View Quote

Which is exactly why it's poor form to speculate.
Yes it's possible, and probable one or more were sacrificed.  Or they could have been literally trapped, legs pinned, etc.
But the Officers who ordered closing the hatches and the Sailors who closed them knowing there were men on the other side...that's the type of stuff that nightmares are made of.
Right now those Sailors need each other, and some breathing room.

The news article is hyping it specifically to sell ad space, not out of some humanitarian duty to the dead.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross Tonnage

They have it.  It's only supposed to apply to ships under 65 feet, but just like the 18 wheeler going 56 MPH that cuts into the fast lane and blocks cars going 70 to pass another truck going 54 MPH, they don't really give a fuck and extend their "law of gross tonnage" attitude to just about everyone.  They'll flat out run over boats in the Port of Houston shipping channel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What about someone practicing on the bridge for a promotion, in over their head?

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Burning up extra fuel going in circles is not something that most Merchant vessel owners would approve of.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were though.

For the non-sea going or knowledgeable folks, look at some WW2 reports. If it's between saving 7 people and saving the ship, the hatch gets closed.
View Quote
DC priorities: fire, flooding, --------------------waaaaay over here---------------------------------------------------------> personnel
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would assume the scenario you described is why taxpayers paid for radar on naval vessels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine a container ship coming at you in daylight.  You don't see the length, you see the narrow width.  You also may have to look up to see navigation lights.

At night, and at distance, it could look like an airplane.  Close in, you might not see it at all as it's so much higher and narrower than a broadside view.  I'm pretty sure the guys on the freighter deck were looking down at the smaller Frigate.

Just my "estimations."
I would assume the scenario you described is why taxpayers paid for radar on naval vessels.
Totally agree, either the radar failed, was disabled, ignored - or when warnings went off the men looked out and didn't see the gigantic bow of a container ship closing in.

I'm a bit surprised the Frigate wasn't cut in half or just rolled over by the impact.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

DC priorities: fire, flooding, --------------------waaaaay over here---------------------------------------------------------> personnel
View Quote

This.

When my wife told me 7 were missing I knew there were only two possibilities, 1 in the drink 2 behind closed QAWTD's. I didn't want to say it to her. Then the report came that they were still onboard and I told her what we do when there is massive damage that has no hope of being plugged, the doors get shut with or without people inside the space. I expect my shipmate to do it to me and he expects me to do it to him. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. I just hope those guys weren't banging on the doors pleading for their lives just for the sake of the sanity of the repair party person who sealed the door. I couldn't imagine. Fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe someone on watch on the container ship fell asleep at the wheel and didn't know what was going to happen until it did.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Didn't post that as a means to assign blame, need to wait for the investigation for all the facts, but as context to people in this thread who may not be aware how things work.
And primarily to explain why after the collision the merchant returned to base course and speed.

The destroyer definitely should have had enough eyes and brains on the situation but we need to read the investigation.

There was an airliner that crashed into the Everglades years ago where all three crewmembers in the cockpit were focused on replacing a burned out light bulb in the instrument panel. People get distracted, task saturated, reports go unheeded.  Lots of factors go into a mishap.
View Quote
Eastern Airlines 401
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#50]
NYT

Japanese officials said on Monday that the accident had occurred nearly an hour earlier than previously believed, and on Tuesday the United States Navy appeared to accept the revised timeline. “We’re not disputing what the Japanese Coast Guard is saying” about the timing of the collision, said Cmdr. Bill Clinton, a spokesman for the Seventh Fleet at the American base in Yokosuka, Japan, south of Tokyo.
View Quote
Looking more like what many here (me included) believe, the first 90 degree turn on the AIS track was the collision and that the "U-turn" was about returning to render assistance, not the merchant pitching in to ram the DDG.  Talking to some of the SWOs in the building here, they seem to think that many merchants do not man their engine rooms during the cruise phase of transits, which means that they are unable to exercise full control of their speed..  The delay in returning to the collision site could have been partially due to getting the master's permission to man the engine room and then getting an engineer or two down there.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top