BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cool thing about running one set in relative motion and offset EBL is there's no effective limit to the number of CPAs you can keep track of.

I used to run the one set in North up stabilized true motion with ARPA on, and the other in heading up relative motion with trails and an offset EBL on the cursor and VRM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Collisions of warships in congested areas are nothing new. There were untold numbers of them during WW2 and I'm sure they were all maneuvering to avoid one another.

I fear the missing are probably in the flooded compartments. If they went in the water after this many hours it doesn't look good either.
With the surface radars the ships have today and being able to predict where paths may intercept, surely there is some warning about possible collisions well ahead of time.
That is a very simplistic point of view.  Yes, ships have radars that offer predicted CPAs, but for a limited number of contacts at any one time.  Some let you enter trial maneuvers to see the effect on CPA, but probably for a limited number of contacts.
As a no-nothing civilian, this explanation seems really unsatisfying.  Modern video games can have dozens and dozens of players firing at each other and keep track of where all the bullets are going and determining hits and misses in real time.  Surely calculating potential intersections of any realistic number ships should be easy for modern computers. Am I missing something?  That's not to say it would always be perfect, but some kind of hardware limitation in tracking/prediction seems unbelievable to me.
The cool thing about running one set in relative motion and offset EBL is there's no effective limit to the number of CPAs you can keep track of.

I used to run the one set in North up stabilized true motion with ARPA on, and the other in heading up relative motion with trails and an offset EBL on the cursor and VRM.
Thanks folks, that makes more sense! 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So do you stay on the ship?  I am confused what happens to you because you are a civilian mariner.
View Quote
USS Ponce was crewed by Civmar and had a Navy detachment. Puller will be the same way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have good insticts.

"US Navy collisions stoke cyber threat concerns"

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article168470432.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but my conspiracy meter is starting to ping.  Just makes me wonder if there is a bounty on US naval ships in the Pacific.  Probably not but I refuse to believe this could happen twice in such a short period of time by chance.  

Occam's razor and all that would say it is pure chance.  Who knows.  I hope our sailors are safe and accounted for.
Sounds like you have good insticts.

"US Navy collisions stoke cyber threat concerns"

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article168470432.html
Idiotic article by someone who has no fucking clue about anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We just did!  First ship ever commissioned outside of the United States.  You can see pictures of our commissioning on AFN.
View Quote
Huh, small world. We saw y'all when we were pulling in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to look like a conspiracy theorist. But what is putting our ships so close to others?

I'm not saying that there are ships out there dead set on ramming them. But what are they actually doing that's putting them in the paths of other vessels? It doesn't seem like they are just traversing the strait as hundreds of ships a day do with pit a problem, but simple why are they maneuvering on a course that is crossing so well defined shipping lanes that were ending up in this situation.

Both of these ships seeming to be "responding" to other incidents to turn out of a well defined lane, to put themselves in danger. Both what it seems to be by trying to cross it in one way or another.

Are they running anti piracy calls? Are they looking to intercept questionable ships? Are they just assigned a sector and go in circles? Are they just dicking around and trying to see who is the biggest badass?

Roughly, it's one 300gt ship every 6 minutes going through the straight. A Burke class destroyer can put 3.5 miles behind her in 6 minutes. Are we just failing so much we can't figure out basic trig and algebra in the most technologically advanced era in human history? Are we just waiving our dick so much we don't care and want to mess with people by stupid games. Or is it something truly hateful that were being lead not to look into?
View Quote
First of all it's a strait, not a straight.  Second, looking at the top speed of a DDG-51 class tells you nothing.  Third, being able to do trig and algebra are really not the only skills necessary to pilot a warship.  Third "waiving" things around isn't involved in a straits transit -- one we do hundreds of times a year without incident.  And finally, no, it's not a conspiracy and nobody spoofed anybody's GPS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm drinking tonight, but must say it breaks my heart when servicemen die in service to this country. I've lost many friends in this business, as have many others  here. And the older I get, the harder it gets to swallow. I'm raising a glass tonight to those navy men. God bless America.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I was always surprised that there weren't midair collisions at the Boulevard entry point (while egressing Afghanistan).  All military aircraft (fighters, bombers, refuelers, reconaissance, cargo, etc) would enter basically the same point, same altitude, to get on the exit route leaving Afghanistan to return to their operating base (for those not taking off/landing from a base in AFG).  Huge funnel point, of many types of aircraft at different speeds.  TCAS yelled at us a few times there.  What a cluster.

The Boulevard entry point for ingress to AFG was rarely busy, at least it seemed that way for us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First of all it's a strait, not a straight.  Second, looking at the top speed of a DDG-51 class tells you nothing.  Third, being able to do trig and algebra are really not the only skills necessary to pilot a warship.  Third "waiving" things around isn't involved in a straits transit -- one we do hundreds of times a year without incident.  And finally, no, it's not a conspiracy and nobody spoofed anybody's GPS.  
View Quote
His post is a runner up for most retarded post in this thread, second only to the guy that compared his video game to navigating a warship.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

His post is a runner up for most retarded post in this thread, second only to the guy that compared his video game to navigating a warship.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Just ran the AIS track video. From page 8. Couple of comments.  Had to run it a couple of times to get it load clearly and legibly.  Navy ships don't typically run with AIS enabled for what might be obvious reasons to some readers and incomprehensible to others.  I agree something happens at about the 50 second point.  The timing is that of the video, not sure how it relates to real time.  The video changes scale a couple of times.  I don't know how accurate the course and speed indications are.

In the area ahead of the ships I watched, the  SCF Tomsk enters from the "north" at a sharp angle then turns stbd to track with most of the traffic.  The Le Tong Patriot crosses south to north.  These tracks will be pretty obvious to most of the ships as they seem for at least some time to be clearly crossing the lanes at some points.  (If driving, these would be cars approaching an intersection on the cross street.  I'd think most of us would watch them more than cars driving along with us because of the possibility of blowing a stop sign or light, etc.)

Working up to the 50 sec. point, I spotted and watched several ships with a lot of interest.  The Kota Laris, Guang Zhou Wan, Team Oslo and Hyundai Global.  The Kota Laris is ahead of the pack and being overtaken.  The Guang Zhou Wan, Team Oslo and Hyundai Global are all astern of the Alnic MC and overtaking.  If you watch from about the 40 sec. point, the Team Oslo appears to overtake and be about abeam of the Alnic MC at about the 42-43 second point.  By 50, the Hyundai Global has overetaken on the port side and the Guang Zhou appears to be reacting, as well, perhaps slowing some as has the Alnic MC and also turning some to starboard, apparently maneuvering to miss what's going on ahead  with the Alnic MC.

Since the McCain doesn't show, it's not too clear what she was doing while this was going on.  It does suggest that the area was congested and that the Alnic MC may have had limited options when it came to slowing and/or maneuvering to avoid the McCain.  FWIW, this some of the info on the Hyndai, so it's not going to be capable of much evasive or tactical sorts of maneuvering .  Vessel HYUNDAI GLOBAL (IMO: 9393022, MMSI: 235069415) is a container ship built in 2009 and currently sailing under the flag of United Kingdom. HYUNDAI GLOBAL has 340m length overall and beam of 46m. Her gross tonnage is 94511 tons.  I'd expect the others could be looked up as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't looked it up, but the ABC radio 0100 news insert  said that MCCAIN had a steering casualty and that they couldn't get backup systems online.   The report was pretty damn specific for a radio station, sounds like it's an engineering casualty and totally a bridge crew fubar.

From a CNN report
The warship suffered a steering failure as the warship was beginning its approach into the Strait of Malacca, causing it to collide with a commercial tanker Monday, a US Navy official told CNN. The official said it was unclear why the crew couldn't utilize the ship's backup steering systems to maintain control of ship.

derpNavy says it could have been a cyber attack. Link
In addressing the accident, Chief of Naval Operations US Admiral John Richardson accepted the possibility the ship may have been the target of a cyber attack.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting stuff here.

Question for the Navy guys...

I am guessing that steering inputs can be electronically controlled from the bridge on newer ships, but there's an older way that involves voice commands to crew below decks that can control it mechanically. Would this be correct, or is there some kind of other system in place?

What would a backup steering system consist of?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting stuff here.

I am guessing that steering inputs can be electronically controlled from the bridge on newer ships, but there's an older way that involves voice commands to crew below decks that can control it mechanically. Would this be correct, or is there some kind of other system in place?

View Quote
There's backup steering available, in fact on my merchant vessel I had at least 4 different systems I could use to control steering at different locations on the vessel; including in the rudder room.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#14]
We had manual planes/rudder control on my boat but they were considered too dangerous to train with. In retrospect I imagine it was mostly the planes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:30:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd expect multiple redundant systems.  Both to operate the system (probably hydraulic) and to communicate steering orders.  I was on an FF and IIRC, there were three helms - bridge, flying bridge, and on deck aft of the mack (mast/stack structure) and one in after steering, which could be cut in for direct control.  Each station had a magnetic compass and a gyro compass repeater.  There were redundant voice/telephone hook-ups, and even a way to manually pump the system.  After steering would be manned at GQ and when at Sea and Anchor Detail - the augmented watch team set for entering/leaving ports.  We periodically worked from all positions using all of the different systems and communications methods.

I couldn't/wouldn't comment on what kind of failure might have occurred.  We never had a catastrophic steering failure.  Having looked at the AIS tracking, I have trouble imagining a worse place to have one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I once had a complete steering failure in a crowded channel...it was ugly. It was an absolute miracle no damage resulted. I also had a tanker have a steering failure and almost run me over going into Galveston, that was pretty hairy as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's not an accurate description of any SWO I've ever known.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A term to be familiar with is Traffic Separation Scheme, or TSS. It looks like the McCain may have tried to cut across the TSS for that area.
If that's the case then we have lost another Aegis DDG to incompetence.

I pulled this quote off of another forum I'm a member of, a professional mariner forum.

What I have always found strange is the difference in the Navy warfare officer communities. Aviators seem to take great pride and spend a lot of time perfecting their skills as pilots. Specwar officers officers seem to take great pride and spend a lot of time perfecting their skills as operators. Surface warefare officers seem to train to be quasi-shore based paper pushers who are forced to take sea billets to advance and dont seem to have too much interest in being a skilled seafarer. They do not, in fact, train to be skilled seafarers. Rather, they seem to train to be weapons/tactics officers who happen to also have to drive their weapons platform to the combat area as an auxilliary duty. They seek to achieve competency rather than mastery in navigation. This is simply my observations from working with and knowing several Naval officers. I cant speak for submariners as I havent known any.
That's not an accurate description of any SWO I've ever known.  
Ha! Bullshit. That is the most honest description of the SWO community i have ever read.. It echoes my input a few years ago when asked to provide community insight on a rash of collisions and groundings; we as a community do not put being a truly professional mariner first. Not much has changed.
20 year SWO who still works directly with the fleet, daily at a numbered fleet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#18]
The vessel could be maneuvered with no rudder what so ever by changing from froward to reverse on either the port or starboard propeller and varying speed. However, maneuvering a ship that size with only gear, thruster or prop pitch changes would be slow to react and could get out of hand pretty quick.
For instance. Emergency movement to STBD with no rudder- STBD propeller full reverse and Port prop full ahead. Ship would start to alter to STBD but depending on several variables the person giving the commands or directing the input to controls could potentially make things worse if their timing is off on the duration and speed of those maneuvers.
The input to control surfaces and engine, transmission or pitch changes is not instantly apparent on large ships.
There is a mental and physical dissconect from input to reaction.
The high performance Sport boats I normally run are (example) 72' x 21' but I have 3600-4000 HP available and the input to controls is almost instantaneous.
I crashed the shit out of a 900' cruise ship on the simulator. You are making judgement calls and control surface decisions minutes ahead of time and waiting and watching to see the reaction. It is easy to make a minor mistake that has large concquences 20 minutes later.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:25:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The vessel could be maneuvered with no rudder what so ever by changing from froward to reverse on either the port or starboard propeller and varying speed. However, maneuvering a ship that size with only gear, thruster or prop pitch changes would be slow to react and could get out of hand pretty quick.
For instance. Emergency movement to STBD with no rudder- STBD propeller full reverse and Port prop full ahead. Ship would start to alter to STBD but depending on several variables the person giving the commands or directing the input to controls could potentially make things worse if their timing is off on the duration and speed of those maneuvers.
The input to control surfaces and engine, transmission or pitch changes is not instantly apparent on large ships.
The high performance Sport boats I normally run are (example) 72' x 21' but I have 3600-4000 HP available and the input to controls is almost instantaneous.
I crashed the shit out of a 900' cruise ship on the simulator. You are making judgement calls and control surface decisions minutes ahead of time and waiting and watching to see the reaction. It is easy to make a minor mistake that has large concquences 20 minutes later.
View Quote
Gas turbine powered warships with controllable, reversible pitch props are very responsive. Might well have been an option unless rudder was stuck hard over, then all bets are off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never set foot on a DDG, but I was on a turbine/diesel powered cutter for a few years, and did experience a few steering casualties.

Backups would involve switching to a second pump, then locally operating a trick wheel or helm locally on the steering gear itself, and finally rigging a manually cranked pump. Assuming system intact we could switch pumps instantly, utilize the trick wheel as fast as we could get the BMOW to aft steering to man the sound powered phones, or switch to manually crank in about 15 minutes then start making rudder changes to the tune of 2 degrees per minute.

BUT. When we experienced our steering casualty on turbines (lost steering pump) the rudders went hard over 35 degrees and we got thrown against the bulkhead. I've also had the bridge crew simply bump into the steering selector switch, kill steering, get no response, and declare a steering casualty. That's always fun. My chief loved getting out of bed at 2am to inspect the steering system just because SN Timmy has bony knees.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In navy parlance it's referred to as a port list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ship is leaning to the left then ?
In navy parlance it's referred to as a port list
I feel certain that TheFringe's comment was political humor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 By 50, the Hyundai Global has overetaken on the port side and the Guang Zhou appears to be reacting, as well, perhaps slowing some as has the Alnic MC and also turning some to starboard, apparently maneuvering to miss what's going on ahead  with the Alnic MC.
View Quote
Hard to tell, but it looked to my unexperienced eye that, assuming McCain was going right to left in comparison to those ships direction of travel, that Guang Zhou made a turn to starboard to pass aft of McCain.

It should also be noted that, unlike Fitz, McCain was hit on the red light side.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Experience as an A Ganger on a Spru-can and a Tico here:

If the bridge lost steering control, I'd haul ass to aft steering along with an electrician and a couple of Boatswain's Mates. We could steer the ship from there in several ways. First choice was the ASCU, then the trickwheels, then hand pumps. If all else failed we'd lock the rudders with the ratchets and steer with the CRPs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Experience as an A Ganger on a Spru-can and a Tico here:

If the bridge lost steering control, I'd haul ass to aft steering along with an electrician and a couple of Boatswain's Mates. We could steer the ship from there in several ways. First choice was the ASCU, then the trickwheels, then hand pumps. If all else failed we'd lock the rudders with the ratchets and steer with the CRPs.
View Quote
Aft steering should probably have been manned already.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was the ship at restricted maneuvering when this happened?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have been at sea and anchor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Than I can't see a steering casualty cause this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the type of casualty and expertise of the watchstander in aft steering.  There are casualties that could be very difficult to control there, especially if the watchstander is in experienced.

But who knows, we're speculating and don't really know anything yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Understood and I'm not saying let the computers run everything on autopilot.  But H46D made it seem like there's some hardware limit to the ability to calculate potential collisions beyond some small number of contacts.  That just seems odd to me.  

Shouldn't these systems be able to calculate a CPA on all 50-60 contacts, assuming you have data on them? The math to do this does not seem like it would be that difficult for a computer.
View Quote
You're not just tracking 50 or 60 surface contacts in your immediate vicinity; you're also tracking every single surface that you can see some of which might be many miles away. In addition you're also tracking every single aircraft that you can see out to several hundred miles. You're also maintaining a data link(s) as well as a SONAR picture. All of these things take up system resources. The biggest bottleneck in all this information isn't the software or hardware it's the humans.

Human beings have to interpret all of this data and make decisions; they're not always right. What the merchant seamen, and the armchair captains don't understand and realize is that the SWO has to pay attention to a lot more and be a lot more versed in things other than just seamanship. It's called a warship for a reason; the Navy's primary purpose is war fighting on the high seas. In the civilian world they don't need to know things like anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, anti-air warfare, over the horizon targeting, Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical warfare, naval gun fire support, anti-piracy, mine and counter mine operations, air operations, steaming in formation, etc....

When transiting something like this OOD/JOOD/TAO etc... aren't just paying attention to all the surface contacts, they are paying attention to the air picture, the sub surface picture, the MK-1 eyeball picture, as well as navigation data from AIS, GPS, RADAR and Compass Bearing navigation, the last two assume that you're close enough to land to make them work. It's a lot of information to absorb and process especially if they lack experience that normally comes with being a JO. In the midst of all of this each and every one of them are all thinking the same thing over and over: "Please not on my watch, please not on my watch, please not on my watch."

Your typical mariner who spends a lot of time on the high seas might be better at seamanship than your typical SWO but warships aren't just about moving goods/people from point A to B; they're about fighting. When it comes to training and experience there's only so much time and something has to give. In the past decade nearly 1,200 civilian merchant vessels have been lost; in the same time frame zero US Naval warships have been lost. In fact you have to go back to the year 2000 when the USS La Moure County ran aground in Chile to find a US Naval warship that has been lost at sea.

I'm not defending the McCain or its crew, and I'm not criticizing because we still don't know what happened. It's possible they screwed the pooch and it's possible they did everything right; the sea is a fickle mistress in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Poor analogy.

Surface contacts are volitional. The bits in a video game are determined.

A better analogy would be an autonomous car trying to navigate traffic. They get in a lot of wrecks.
View Quote

A better video game analogy is Frogger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Bodies have been found in flooded compartments on the USS John S. McCain, the Navy destroyer that collided with a commercial vessel east of Singapore early Monday morning, according to the U.S. Navy.

Ten sailors have been missing since the collision.

Adm. Scott Swift, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, held a press conference today at Singapore’s Changi Naval Base today where the USS McCain is docked and where the tanker with which it collided is anchored.

“The divers were able to locate some remains” in sealed compartments on ship, Swift said, adding that bodies have been found.
View Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/navy-bodies-found-uss-mccain-collision-115004059--abc-news-topstories.html

Looks like they located some of the remains of the missing sailors.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting stuff here.

View Quote
There are a few electronic links to the steering engines, but final emergency control involves having a guy physically standing at the hydraulic engine with a six inch diameter steering wheel. As emergency after steering helmsman you have said wheel, a rudder angle indicator, a gyro compass repeater, and a headset. A guy on the other end of the headset will tell you which direction to drive and you kinda just hope he can see where we're going cause you sure can't, standing in an enclosed box, below the waterline, facing backwards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/navy-bodies-found-uss-mccain-collision-115004059--abc-news-topstories.html

Looks like they located some of the remains of the missing sailors.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

<snip>

Human beings have to interpret all of this data and make decisions; they're not always right.
View Quote
Thank you for typing all that out, and for your perspective.  I suspect you've hit upon the root of the problem, and it's hard for most to understand the information overload people in these roles experience.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Throttle steering is not always an option. Did your simulator ever portray your steering engine malfunctioning and jamming the rudders (plural) against the stops so now you're stuck with 40 degrees left rudder?

And you're spot on, anticipation of even your own ship's movements, let alone everyone else, is a major training point. I was instructing a Lt. JG on the helm for his conning qual. His previous ship was a 3k ton FFG and he was initially confused at the lack of responsiveness from the 40k ton LHD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#36]
"in the past decade nearly 1,200 civilian merchant vessels have been lost; in the same time frame zero US Naval warships have been lost. In fact you have to go back to the year 2000 when the USS La Moure County ran aground in Chile to find a US Naval warship that has been lost at sea."

Not so fast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Guardian_(MCM-5)

Chainsawed to bits and hauled to the dump.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
New reports are saying the McCain had a "steering casualty" prior to the collision.

It certainly was an inopportune time to have one!
View Quote
With variable pitch twin screws I wouldn't think a steering casualty would ever be much of an event? I'll defer to the surface guys to correct my ignorance if need be.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
With variable pitch twin screws I wouldn't think a steering casualty would ever be much of an event? I'll defer to the surface guys to correct my ignorance if need be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New reports are saying the McCain had a "steering casualty" prior to the collision.

It certainly was an inopportune time to have one!
There are steering casualties that can drive a rudder all the way to the stops and hold it there, and take a bit of work to recover from.  Depends on the expertise level of the after steering watch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ha! Bullshit. That is the most honest description of the SWO community i have ever read.. It echoes my input a few years ago when asked to provide community insight on a rash of collisions and groundings; we as a community do not put being a truly professional mariner first. Not much has changed.
20 year SWO who still works directly with the fleet, daily at a numbered fleet.
View Quote
I know a lot of SWOs who want to be at sea.

I don't know many who consider themselves tactical experts outside Aegis core tactics / Air Warfare - maybe TLAM, not because they don't want to do that, but because they don't have time to do that.

The surface community has gutted its accession training over the past 15 years.  They sacrificed SWOS in Newport and replaced it with computer-based training to be completed on one's first ship.  The community ignored lessons learned 40 years before when it became clear that the increasing pace of technology made training only by OJT ineffective.  The surface community junior officers (and department heads and XOs) spend way too much time on material readiness - fighting the 'battle of Norfolk' - and not enough on seamanship and tactics.  

Material condition matters a lot, but senior enlisted should be running that program, training their JOs how to spot check and inspect.  In the late 90s and early 00s, the Navy made a big deal about ships getting underway with all-enlisted bridge and CIC watch teams, cool for those who got to qualify, but a fundamental mis-prioritization of resources IMO, because at the same time the Navy pushed the micromanagement of the battle of Norfolk further into the officer ranks.  Advanced tactical training?  Sure, the Navy stood up SMWDC back in 2014 and it's stil not fully staffed.  The quality of instruction is uneven across mission areas, but at least it's headed somewhere...until we cannibalize the manpower for some other emergent initiative.

Finally, the surface community's career path has an unofficial mantra of "At Sea or DC", where hot running mid-grade officers are shuttled into lower risk command tours with an eye towards getting them back onto the OPNAV staff as junior O6s as quickly as possible.  Tactical proficiency is not valued at any level and a command tour is something you survive in order to do 'greater things' on a major staff somewhere.  It's sad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I once had a complete steering failure in a crowded channel...it was ugly. It was an absolute miracle no damage resulted. I also had a tanker have a steering failure and almost run me over going into Galveston, that was pretty hairy as well.
View Quote
Let me know when you're back this way. I'll make a fruit plate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Gas turbine powered warships with controllable, reversible pitch props are very responsive. Might well have been an option unless rudder was stuck hard over, then all bets are off.
View Quote
Very responsive is relative.

I'll be interested to read the report if it's ever publicly available.  I've little doubt that some questionable decisions were made during the incident, but I have a feeling that they're the kind of decisions that I'd have a hard time crucifying someone over.  Sometimes you have mere moments to make a decision with less than full input/data and once you've made that choice, you're committed fully.  In a crowded strait like that I can see how making a move (e.g. speed) to avoid one contact puts you afoul of a 2nd that you weren't able to fully consider when the decision had to be made.  The bridge could well have made a speed change/choice under the belief that manual maneuvering control was imminent when it wasn't.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"in the past decade nearly 1,200 civilian merchant vessels have been lost; in the same time frame zero US Naval warships have been lost. In fact you have to go back to the year 2000 when the USS La Moure County ran aground in Chile to find a US Naval warship that has been lost at sea."

Not so fast.

View Quote
I stand corrected. A 1:1200 ratio is still pretty good all things considered.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Finally, the surface community's career path has an unofficial mantra of "At Sea or DC", where hot running mid-grade officers are shuttled into lower risk command tours with an eye towards getting them back onto the OPNAV staff as junior O6s as quickly as possible.  Tactical proficiency is not valued at any level and a command tour is something you survive in order to do 'greater things' on a major staff somewhere.  It's sad.
View Quote
From the enlisted perspective, can't say I really blame them. Seaman (or Ensign) Timmy can get you on the cover of navy times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Divers find bodies during search for ten missing sailors aboard the flooded compartments of USS John S. McCain

Link
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They might not be able to radiate at full power or full capability in those straights.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An Aegis DDG can track numerous targets in a hemeshpere? But can't watch these ships?

Are they just targets now of " innocuous" vessels?
They might not be able to radiate at full power or full capability in those straights.

Kharn
lol no kidding

i worked on systems for Unisiys and GE at Moorestown.  Might be uncool to cook sea birds out there....

eta

God bless the deceased...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so fast.

That is a statistic that means nothing.  How many civilian merchant vessels are there compared to US Navy ships?  How many cumulative steaming days for each type?  In peacetime the absence of a profit motive typically biases military operations much more towards safety than civilian counterparts - for example, guy who fly oil rig support fly in weather that would shut down flight ops for just about anyone but the Coast Guard on an actual rescue mission.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Fuck
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

BUT. When we experienced our steering casualty on turbines (lost steering pump) the rudders went hard over 35 degrees and we got thrown against the bulkhead. I've also had the bridge crew simply bump into the steering selector switch, kill steering, get no response, and declare a steering casualty. That's always fun. My chief loved getting out of bed at 2am to inspect the steering system just because SN Timmy has bony knees.
View Quote
Having come from the aviation side of the Navy, that sounds like a terribly designed failure mode and instrument control placement. A switch like that on an airplane would have some kind of flip up cover on it.

On F-18 rudders, stabilators and ailerons would feather if hydraulics were lost.

Flaps and slats would stick though because they were rotary driven.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Idiotic article by someone who has no fucking clue about anything.
View Quote
I guess the Chief of Naval Operations US Admiral John Richardson has no clue.

1st it was a steering gear issue, then it was an electronic problem, now its hacking possibility.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top