BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you for your input, you know nothing.  The President has nothing to do with choosing anyone O-6 on down in the military, and the CO of a DDG is an O-5.  So take your political bullshit and shove it.
View Quote
But he picked all the O-7s and up.  Who picks the O-4s - O-6s?  It trickles down, with the politicians occupying more billets the higher you go.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote
Good talk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Collision of US Guided missile destroyer JOHN MCCAIN and TANKER ALNIC MC in Singapore waters

AIS track.

Apparently collision at about 0:50
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Makes me sick to my stomach to see this happening.
View Quote
He has a very strange idea of what a "hero" is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One might conclude that the Navy ship should have anticipated the collision and gotten the fuck out of the way, it presumably being the more maneuverable of the two ships.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone is blaming the Navy ship (as of pg 2), but what if some idiot civi crew decided to drink and play xbox and went into them? The damage seems consistant with someone else hitting them. 
One might conclude that the Navy ship should have anticipated the collision and gotten the fuck out of the way, it presumably being the more maneuverable of the two ships.
That's assuming they could. There isn't much room in the area, and any sudden deviation could send them into another ship. If they are obaying the right of way rules and the tanker wasn't, they are at a severe disadvantage. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's assuming they could. There isn't much room in the area, and any sudden deviation could send them into another ship. If they are obaying the right of way rules and the tanker wasn't, they are at a severe disadvantage. 
View Quote
That would make it an even shittier situation, especially with sailors being lost.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Monday (pictured above) that Navy Adm. John Richardson will call for a pause in operations and seek a
deeper look at how the Navy trains and certifies its forces that are
operating around Japan.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When serious enough mishaps occur, the AF will conduct 2 investigations: a safety investigation and an accident investigation. The purpose of the safety investigation is mishap prevention. Its findings are "privileged". I.E., only shared with those who need to know and who are trained in protecting safety priveledged information. The findings legally cannot be shared outside safety channels, and no assignment of blame or retribution is made.

The accident investigation is where the lawyers get involved, and people get in trouble. Those results are fully released.

The navy do it similarly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Navy always tells us what happened, they just haven't yet.

We are the most transparent of all the services in our investigations.  Investigations take time and people's rights have to be preserved as fact-finding is done.  Once it's done, most Navy investigations are released in some form, if not the results from them are publicly explained.  We don't cover shit up.
When serious enough mishaps occur, the AF will conduct 2 investigations: a safety investigation and an accident investigation. The purpose of the safety investigation is mishap prevention. Its findings are "privileged". I.E., only shared with those who need to know and who are trained in protecting safety priveledged information. The findings legally cannot be shared outside safety channels, and no assignment of blame or retribution is made.

The accident investigation is where the lawyers get involved, and people get in trouble. Those results are fully released.

The navy do it similarly?
Yes
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
damn that hole is DEEP
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Some Admiral will get fired for this. In addition to all the firings about to happen on MCCAIN.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some Admiral will get fired for this. In addition to all the firings about to happen on MCCAIN.
View Quote
As well they should - no excuse for this at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
CDS-15 is the next in line up the chain, and he's an o-6. I doubt it gets to seventh fleet. He retires in ten days anyway I think.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I get that where this happened is very busy. How does that area compare to going through or being just outside a canal. Such as the Suez or Panma canal. I would guess there would be more organization in the waiting area of a canal but still a ton of ships.
View Quote
Outside a Canal, tons of ships... but they're mostly not moving.

Everyone here is moving.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall and a traitor to the POW/MIA cause. and a North Vietnamese informant know as the "SONG BIRD"....no wonder this country is screwed with idiots like that in Congress...! Nothing but a POS RHINO who sleeps with Soros and any muslum for a dollar donation to his McCain FOUNDATION slush fund....
View Quote
He did not cause the Forrestal fire. A rocket misfired, flew across the flight deck, hit another aircraft and caused a conflagration that engulfed McCain's aircraft. The rocket did not come from his plane. I hate John McCain as much as anyone, but the fire was not his fault.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
A term to be familiar with is Traffic Separation Scheme, or TSS. It looks like the McCain may have tried to cut across the TSS for that area.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.  

Never been in the Navy on a destroyer but I'd think they have sophisticated radar systems that are being watched by several men at all times.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CDS-15 is the next in line up the chain, and he's an o-6. I doubt it gets to seventh fleet. He retires in ten days anyway I think.
View Quote
I doubt an O-6 gets it done this time. I bet a Flag goes down. One that was probably terminal anyway but nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
With the surface radars the ships have today and being able to predict where paths may intercept, surely there is some warning about possible collisions well ahead of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Collisions of warships in congested areas are nothing new. There were untold numbers of them during WW2 and I'm sure they were all maneuvering to avoid one another.

I fear the missing are probably in the flooded compartments. If they went in the water after this many hours it doesn't look good either.
With the surface radars the ships have today and being able to predict where paths may intercept, surely there is some warning about possible collisions well ahead of time.
That is a very simplistic point of view.  Yes, ships have radars that offer predicted CPAs, but for a limited number of contacts at any one time.  Some let you enter trial maneuvers to see the effect on CPA, but probably for a limited number of contacts.

The radar doesn't always pick up every contact as some are masked by other ships or there is just clutter that obscures returns.  In the area where this collision occurred, there are hundreds of ships, so you can only deal with a finite number at any one time.  Bridge personnel have to correlate each radar return to a visual observation and that is not always easy because visual distance estimation is skewed by ship size.  Finally, any maneuver to open CPA on one contact may reduce CPA on many other contacts.  You have to play chess and think many moves ahead.  If you listen to audio from the Porter's SOH collision a few years ago, you hear the bridge team asking to slow down to 5 knots because they were overwhelmed and thought that reducing speed would slow down the problem.  In reality, what they did was reduce their ability to get out of trouble, because turning beats speed almost every time and ships turn like shit when they are slow.  

I've driven a ship through Straits of Bonifaccio, Gibraltar, and Bosporous, and Dardanelles, none of which is as messy as where this occurred.  That area is crazytown.

Not trying to excuse the incident, because it should not have happened, but it's not as easy as just looking at a display, seeing something obvious, and making a turn.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A term to be familiar with is Traffic Separation Scheme, or TSS. It looks like the McCain may have tried to cut across the TSS for that area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If that's the case then we have lost another Aegis DDG to incompetence.

I pulled this quote off of another forum I'm a member of, a professional mariner forum.

What I have always found strange is the difference in the Navy warfare officer communities. Aviators seem to take great pride and spend a lot of time perfecting their skills as pilots. Specwar officers officers seem to take great pride and spend a lot of time perfecting their skills as operators. Surface warefare officers seem to train to be quasi-shore based paper pushers who are forced to take sea billets to advance and dont seem to have too much interest in being a skilled seafarer. They do not, in fact, train to be skilled seafarers. Rather, they seem to train to be weapons/tactics officers who happen to also have to drive their weapons platform to the combat area as an auxilliary duty. They seek to achieve competency rather than mastery in navigation. This is simply my observations from working with and knowing several Naval officers. I cant speak for submariners as I havent known any.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
[E-9s today]
How did they ever win wars looking like that? Their uniforms aren't pressed, the gig line is off, they don't have seven rows of ribbons and a dozen badges, and those shoes look like they were shines with a Hershey bar. They don't even have the same belts.

Fucking shitbags. I ought to NJP your asses.
[/E-9s today]

I do think the old school navy uniforms were the best. Khaki cotton long sleeved and nobody cared if sleeves were rolled up. Add in the Combination cover instead of the Pisscutter.

Officers and chiefs in khaki. Ratings in Crackerjacks (with Liberty cuffs and sailor cap at an angle) or dungarees, the way God intended.

And no women on ships.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I pulled this quote off of another forum I'm a member of, a professional mariner forum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I have always found strange is the difference in the Navy warfare officer communities. Aviators seem to take great pride and spend a lot of time perfecting their skills as pilots. Specwar officers officers seem to take great pride and spend a lot of time perfecting their skills as operators. Surface warefare officers seem to train to be quasi-shore based paper pushers who are forced to take sea billets to advance and dont seem to have too much interest in being a skilled seafarer. They do not, in fact, train to be skilled seafarers. Rather, they seem to train to be weapons/tactics officers who happen to also have to drive their weapons platform to the combat area as an auxilliary duty. They seek to achieve competency rather than mastery in navigation. This is simply my observations from working with and knowing several Naval officers. I cant speak for submariners as I havent known any.
That's not an accurate description of any SWO I've ever known.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
It doesn't even look like anyone tried to turn to avoid a collision. It was pegged like some white dude in a strap on video.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We'll have to wait for the investigations to know what really happened.  
View Quote
Poppycock.  We merry band of drunken cruise ship passengers will have this figured out in no time.  If Dad lets us borrow the tools we can probably even bondo that shit up and get them boats back in the water.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
This is an interesting study on the topic of MSC versus US Navy shiphandling, general proficiency, and comparable seatime:

https://www.cna.org/CNA_files/PDF/D0011501.A2.pdf
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I was speaking with retired DDG SWO over the weekend about this (before news of this latest incident) and he basically told me none of their navigational aids/radar/etc. are of any use when you have some 23 year old Ensign on watch with a bunch of younger enlisted guys and everyone is dicking off.  He said these accidents are purely a function of tired sailors, no one doing their jobs, and shooting the shit on watch.  And it's very common.  Kinda blew my mind a bit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is an interesting study on the topic of MSC versus US Navy shiphandling, general proficiency, and comparable seatime:

View Quote
One cranky fucker I know (who admittedly may be viewing the situation through a straw), would say that there's more time to concentrate on those things when one completely foregoes maintenance tasks.

He's had a hard couple years working with MSC though.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was speaking with retired DDG SWO over the weekend about this (before news of this latest incident) and he basically told me none of their navigational aids/radar/etc. are of any use when you have some 23 year old Ensign on watch with a bunch of younger enlisted guys and everyone is dicking off.  He said these accidents are purely a function of tired sailors, no one doing their jobs, and shooting the shit on watch.  And it's very common.  Kinda blew my mind a bit.
View Quote
Blows my fucking mind to hear about that sort of shit happening on the bridge. Makes me feel even more fortunate for getting the ship I did; almost every conning officer I had was a mustang who knew what was what, and the few academy ensigns we had on the watch were very receptive students.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is a very simplistic point of view.  Yes, ships have radars that offer predicted CPAs, but for a limited number of contacts at any one time.  Some let you enter trial maneuvers to see the effect on CPA, but probably for a limited number of contacts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Collisions of warships in congested areas are nothing new. There were untold numbers of them during WW2 and I'm sure they were all maneuvering to avoid one another.

I fear the missing are probably in the flooded compartments. If they went in the water after this many hours it doesn't look good either.
As a no-nothing civilian, this explanation seems really unsatisfying.  Modern video games can have dozens and dozens of players firing at each other and keep track of where all the bullets are going and determining hits and misses in real time.  Surely calculating potential intersections of any realistic number ships should be easy for modern computers. Am I missing something?  That's not to say it would always be perfect, but some kind of hardware limitation in tracking/prediction seems unbelievable to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Outside a Canal, tons of ships... but they're mostly not moving.

Everyone here is moving.
View Quote
Thanks. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
An Aegis DDG can track numerous targets in a hemeshpere? But can't watch these ships?

Are they just targets now of " innocuous" vessels?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#32]
His senility carried on to his namesake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As a no-nothing civilian, this explanation seems really unsatisfying.  Modern video games can have dozens and dozens of players firing at each other and keep track of where all the bullets are going and determining hits and misses in real time.  Surely calculating potential intersections of any realistic number ships should be easy for modern computers. Am I missing something?  That's not to say it would always be perfect, but some kind of hardware limitation in tracking/prediction seems unbelievable to me.
View Quote
Poor analogy.

Surface contacts are volitional. The bits in a video game are determined.

A better analogy would be an autonomous car trying to navigate traffic. They get in a lot of wrecks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Agreed, but my conspiracy meter is starting to ping.  Just makes me wonder if there is a bounty on US naval ships in the Pacific.  Probably not but I refuse to believe this could happen twice in such a short period of time by chance.  

Occam's razor and all that would say it is pure chance.  Who knows.  I hope our sailors are safe and accounted for.
View Quote
Sounds like you have good insticts.

"US Navy collisions stoke cyber threat concerns"

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article168470432.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
An Aegis DDG can track numerous targets in a hemeshpere? But can't watch these ships?

Are they just targets now of " innocuous" vessels?
View Quote
They might not be able to radiate at full power or full capability in those straights.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Poor analogy.

A better analogy would be an autonomous car trying to navigate traffic. They get in a lot of wrecks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor analogy.

Is it really though?  Let's take a game like War Thunder:
War Thunder (SB) - Dogfight Montage

Here the game has to be able to keep track of a large number of players all constantly generating inputs like speed and direction in 3 dimensional space, bullet physics and collision detection. The game is able to calculate all of this and display it for the players in real time.  But in the end it's all just math that computers are pretty good at doing quickly.  How is that really any different for a ship's radar/tracking computers?  To a computer, whether the data it's getting is 'real' or not shouldn't matter, it doesn't know the difference.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
If only the Navy had some sort of a simulator....
http://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/swos/Simulators.htm

Get the fuck outta here.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
His senility carried on to his namesake.
View Quote
Wanna make a trip to the pit to see if your post stands up to the truth for a permaban?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-P7pPgniGA

Here the game has to be able to keep track of a large number of players all constantly generating inputs like speed and direction in 3 dimensional space, bullet physics and collision detection. The game is able to calculate all of this and display it for the players in real time.  But in the end it's all just math that computers are pretty good at doing quickly.  How is that really any different for a ship's radar/tracking computers?  To a computer, whether the data it's getting is 'real' or not shouldn't matter, it doesn't know the difference.
View Quote
Yes, radar, AIS, etc provide CPA, TCPA and some other information, but all of that still needs to be interpreted and acted upon. When you have 50 or 60 different contacts you are watching, it's easy for something to slip through (especially if they are overtaking)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If only the Navy had some sort of a simulator....
http://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/swos/Simulators.htm

Get the fuck outta here.  
View Quote
Whoa guy, perhaps read his post again - his is a question about a statement involving the limitations of course prediction software on ships like this.

You seem to have read something else in to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shit Johnie Wet Start has ship named after him. Caused the death of 154 sailors on the USS Forestall
View Quote
Wanna make a trip to the pit to see if your post stands up to the truth for a permaban?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes, radar, AIS, etc provide CPA, TCPA and some other information, but all of that still needs to be interpreted and acted upon. When you have 50 or 60 different contacts you are watching, it's easy for something to slip through (especially if they are overtaking)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-P7pPgniGA

Understood and I'm not saying let the computers run everything on autopilot.  But H46D made it seem like there's some hardware limit to the ability to calculate potential collisions beyond some small number of contacts.  That just seems odd to me.  

Shouldn't these systems be able to calculate a CPA on all 50-60 contacts, assuming you have data on them? The math to do this does not seem like it would be that difficult for a computer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you care so much? Just let it go.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#44]
New reports are saying the McCain had a "steering casualty" prior to the collision.

It certainly was an inopportune time to have one!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
One cranky fucker I know (who admittedly may be viewing the situation through a straw), would say that there's more time to concentrate on those things when one completely foregoes maintenance tasks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. FWIW the paper also says the maintenance AND CASREP issues with MSC were less. I can certainly understand his frustration however.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Understood and I'm not saying let the computers run everything on autopilot.  But H46D made it seem like there's some hardware limit to the ability to calculate potential collisions beyond some small number of contacts.  That just seems odd to me.  

Shouldn't these systems be able to calculate a CPA on all 50-60 contacts, assuming you have data on them? The math to do this does not seem like it would be that difficult for a computer.
View Quote
I don't know about those systems.  I know nav radars on previous ships I've been on are usually around 100.  In this scenario, you would have a screen covered with nothing but motion vectors and symbols flashing red based on minimum CPA alarm settings

Radar and AIS are great tools if used properly, but they aren't perfect.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cool thing about running one set in relative motion and offset EBL is there's no effective limit to the number of CPAs you can keep track of.

I used to run the one set in North up stabilized true motion with ARPA on, and the other in heading up relative motion with trails and an offset EBL on the cursor and VRM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't know about those systems.  I know nav radars on previous ships I've been on are usually around 100.  In this scenario, you would have a screen covered with nothing but motion vectors and symbols flashing red based on minimum CPA alarm settings
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes more sense to me, that the real limiting factor would be on the human brain to interpret what's being displayed, not that the computers aren't capable of predicting courses beyond some small number of contacts. I gotta think modern computers ought to be able to perform the calculations up to some physically impossible number of contacts.  That might not all be relevant or useful to the human looking at the display, but I would think that software should be able to help with prioritizing which contacts are the biggest threats and filtering out others.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The cool thing about running one set in relative motion and offset EBL is there's no effective limit to the number of CPAs you can keep track of.

I used to run the one set in North up stabilized true motion with ARPA on, and the other in heading up relative motion with trails and an offset EBL on the cursor and VRM.
View Quote
Great minds think alike
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not trying to look like a conspiracy theorist. But what is putting our ships so close to others?

I'm not saying that there are ships out there dead set on ramming them. But what are they actually doing that's putting them in the paths of other vessels? It doesn't seem like they are just traversing the strait as hundreds of ships a day do with pit a problem, but simple why are they maneuvering on a course that is crossing so well defined shipping lanes that were ending up in this situation.

Both of these ships seeming to be "responding" to other incidents to turn out of a well defined lane, to put themselves in danger. Both what it seems to be by trying to cross it in one way or another.

Are they running anti piracy calls? Are they looking to intercept questionable ships? Are they just assigned a sector and go in circles? Are they just dicking around and trying to see who is the biggest badass?

Roughly, it's one 300gt ship every 6 minutes going through the straight. A Burke class destroyer can put 3.5 miles behind her in 6 minutes. Are we just failing so much we can't figure out basic trig and algebra in the most technologically advanced era in human history? Are we just waiving our dick so much we don't care and want to mess with people by stupid games. Or is it something truly hateful that were being lead not to look into?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top