Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
was this video posted?

https://youtu.be/kn8T_9JkTp0

at the beginning, you can see the deck of the boat thats taking this video.  Looks like a piece of junk fishing boat.  how come they would let that get so close to their ship?

prayers for the missing.  
View Quote
It's just the way it is.

I hated letting local boats get that close to us while going into/out of port, but with how busy everything else is, the choices are either rip them with the 240b or let it be. Even though we "shouldn't" let any boat get that close, if you actually did anything about it you'd most likely end up in prison.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT, ANTI-TRUMPERS......................

Trump said, "That's too bad" to a shouted question from the press. HE DID NOT TWEET THAT STATEMENT BY ITSELF.

Later he did tweet about the incident in length.

Jesus Christ, you guys are as bad as the MSM trying to twist things up.

I guess if you have nothing real to bitch about. You have to just make shit up, huh?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Its real nice of the anti-trumpers to come and shit post about Trump in a thread that concerns the loss of military members.

<No Call Outs Please. -40xb>
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Trump is commander in chief!  Therefore all casualties are his fault and clearly because he spends too much time on twitter and not enough time of doing the work for the American people!

wake up already, he is a clown who can't be elected.

wait, wut?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Part of me thinks the name of the damaged ship is funny.

The other part of me is horrified that we somehow can't steer or protect the multi-million/billion dollar ships.

Even if you are a complete fucking idiot standing watch, it's not like you can wade ashore if it sinks. You ass  is on the line too, even if it's your own shipmates throwing you overboard and claiming you were lost in the accident.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Collisions of warships in congested areas are nothing new. There were untold numbers of them during WW2 and I'm sure they were all maneuvering to avoid one another.

I fear the missing are probably in the flooded compartments. If they went in the water after this many hours it doesn't look good either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There is no "left" on a ship.
View Quote
46 CFR § 131.850 Rudder orders.
At each steering station there must
be installed a suitable notice on the
wheel or lever, or in some other place
directly in the helmsman’s line of
sight, to indicate the direction in
which to turn the wheel or lever for
‘‘right rudder’’ and for ‘‘left rudder.’’

All helms have a left and right sign.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

46 CFR § 131.850 Rudder orders.
At each steering station there must
be installed a suitable notice on the
wheel or lever, or in some other place
directly in the helmsman’s line of
sight, to indicate the direction in
which to turn the wheel or lever for
‘‘right rudder’’ and for ‘‘left rudder.’’

All helms have a left and right sign.
View Quote

Good to see you post.  What happens to you if Chesty Puller becomes a USS?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He has a boat named after him?
View Quote
After his Father and Grandfather

This is hard to grasp, how one grounding and two at sea collisions in a year?

But those straits are a sailors nightmare, no room to maneuver ... speed restrictions ... traffic lanes ... so who knows what was going on till the investigation is done, but rules of the road aren't actually law of gross tonnage, some one screwed up the rules of the road and McCain took the worst of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's just the way it is.

I hated letting local boats get that close to us while going into/out of port, but with how busy everything else is, the choices are either rip them with the 240b or let it be. Even though we "shouldn't" let any boat get that close, if you actually did anything about it you'd most likely end up in prison.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
was this video posted?

at the beginning, you can see the deck of the boat thats taking this video.  Looks like a piece of junk fishing boat.  how come they would let that get so close to their ship?

prayers for the missing.  
It's just the way it is.

Generally speaking, machine-gunning foreign nationals in their own country(outside of some form of recognized conflict)is problematic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Generally speaking, machine-gunning foreign nationals in their own country(outside of some form of recognized conflict)is problematic.
View Quote
So is opening up on merchant shipping with your 5 inch gun but some here are advocating that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
was this video posted?

prayers for the missing.  
It's just the way it is.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm drawing blanks on something. If you are standing at the door to Repair Locker 5 Alpha there is a ladder going down to the next deck. I can't remember what is down there?

I'm almost positive its a berthing?
View Quote
On a Flight I there's also aft Officer's Country between 5A and the Torp Mag, and judging by the pics it looks like at least a couple staterooms took a direct hit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On a Flight I there's also aft Officer's Country between 5A and the Torp Mag, and judging by the pics it looks like at least a couple staterooms took a direct hit.
View Quote
Thats right. I think its like 4 staterooms and a head at the aft end of the passageway.

After the Navy I worked at BAE Systems on damn near every ship at Norfolk. I can't remember which flight it is but some DDGs have a removable patch from that vestibule to enter shaft alley from and others do not. That patch is held on by like 40 something bolts.

For some reason I'm inclined to say that the patch isn't there on the flight I but is there on the flight IIA, I might have that backwards.

Some also have a small water tight door to enter shaft alley so you don't have to go down the trunk with the verticle ladder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#16]
So it is listing to port like the grandson?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Strait of Malacca is VERY busy. I conned USS Waddell (DDG-24) through the Strait at night in 1984.  At one point I had 30+ radar contacts, all with a CPA less than 500 yards.  The Strait is narrow, an there is very little room, or time, to maneuver.
You had super tankers, freighters, fishing boats, and canoes all in the Strait.  Not everyone followed the Rules of the Road. 
View Quote

I don't think most people understand how tight that is with everyone moving.  I was at the wheel of a medium-sized pleasure craft in the Taiwan Strait/Formosa Strait a few days ago dodging 10+ container ships and dozens of fishing vessels, etc., and that was about all the fun I wanted.  Malacca sounds insane.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good to see you post.  What happens to you if Chesty Puller becomes a USS?
View Quote
We just did!  First ship ever commissioned outside of the United States.  You can see pictures of our commissioning on AFN.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We just did!  First ship ever commissioned outside of the United States.  You can see pictures of our commissioning on AFN.
View Quote

So do you stay on the ship?  I am confused what happens to you because you are a civilian mariner.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know we all dislike Senator McCain, but DDG-56 has nothing to do with him and 10 sailors are presumably dead.

Not to sound butthurt, but I sailed on the JSM and still know people on board, so maybe keeping Senator McCain jokes in another thread would be appropriate.  Not specifically directed at you but to everyone who is using this as a comedic opportunity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know we all dislike Senator McCain, but DDG-56 has nothing to do with him and 10 sailors are presumably dead.

Not to sound butthurt, but I sailed on the JSM and still know people on board, so maybe keeping Senator McCain jokes in another thread would be appropriate.  Not specifically directed at you but to everyone who is using this as a comedic opportunity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Collisions of warships in congested areas are nothing new.
View Quote
It's a rare event except for 2017.  

In 30 years, there have been 10 collisions; 60% of them in the last year.

5 US Navy collisions in 2017.

1 in 2016: USS  Louisiana

1 in 2014:  Amelia Earhart and the Walter S. Diehl

1 in 2004. USS John F. Kennedy

1 in 2000: USS Denver.

1 in 1989: USS Houston
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Something is seriously wrong to have this many accidents with so may fatalities in this short of time period.

"The chief of naval operations' broader inquiry will look at all related accidents at sea, that sort of thing. He is going to look at all factors, not just the immediate ones," Mattis told reporters in Amman, Jordan.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#24]
JFC

Some of you guys really need to stop using the internet for a while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
JFC

Some of you guys really need to stop using the internet for a while.
View Quote
Go on.........................
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/o0nXcG1.png

View Quote

And 3 of those, it appears, are subs, which have their own issues which make it much harder to maneuver and avoid shit (like, you know, no radar and can't see)
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So do you stay on the ship?  I am confused what happens to you because you are a civilian mariner.
View Quote
Yes, we stay right here.  Only difference for me is I report to a CO instead of a Master.  Just like Frank Cable, Emory S. Land, Mount Whitney, and Ponce.  We continue to man Engine and Deck departments.  We have a small Supply department to support us.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Go on.........................
View Quote
I'm guessing you haven't read pages 1 through 6.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you haven't read pages 1 through 6.
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, we stay right here.  Only difference for me is I report to a CO instead of a Master.  Just like Frank Cable, Emory S. Land, Mount Whitney, and Ponce.  We continue to man Engine and Deck departments.  We have a small Supply department to support us.
View Quote

Cool.
I guess.  Didn't realize USS utilized civilian crews.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is pretty interesting. I knew a guy from Baltimore who worked like that.

I think his ship was the Big Horn.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#32]

None of those ships are moving, however.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm holding good thoughts for the missing and injured sailors along with their families.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You know he will take that thing straight to Berkeley and rain down down havoc at the next antifa rally.
View Quote
Gee.  I sure hope he doesn't do that.  That would be a darn shame.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#35]
God dam another one
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's named after his grandad, Admiral McCain.
View Quote
His father was also Admiral McCain. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What is up with all these US Navy ships hitting shit?
View Quote
Texting and sailing.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I get that where this happened is very busy. How does that area compare to going through or being just outside a canal. Such as the Suez or Panma canal. I would guess there would be more organization in the waiting area of a canal but still a ton of ships.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's been some time since I was training for Damage Control but it was serious business when I was still serving. Much like every Marine is a rifleman, every Sailor was a damage controlman and fire fighter.

Things may have changed considerably since then but the Stark was a nightmare scenario, caught unaware with no watertight conditions set and they saved that ship probably based on sheer human will and training.
View Quote
...and painter. Don't forget painter!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you read a chronology of WW2 from 12/7/41 until the end of hostilities you will see there were many collisions. I'm not going through it and note every one here. I shall highlight a notable one.

1 February 1944. Two 35 thousand ton fast battleships, USS Washington BB 56 collides with USS Indiana BB 58. Washington was so heavily damaged that the bow completely collapsed and was unable to drop anchor. It had to be lashed with 10 inch hawsers to the USS Pecos.

Another notable collision in 1956. On 6 May USS Wisconsin a forty five thousand ton fast battleship, arguably the largest battleship in United States history, collided with the destroyer USS Eaton DD510.

The Wisconsin was so heavily damaged that a 120 ton 68 foot section of the bow of the uncompleted battle ship USS Kentucky was grafted to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#41]
If this happened in broad daylight I'm sure the Liberian vessel probably has a video of the incident as it happened from the bridge. We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Navy always tells us what happened, they just haven't yet.

We are the most transparent of all the services in our investigations.  Investigations take time and people's rights have to be preserved as fact-finding is done.  Once it's done, most Navy investigations are released in some form, if not the results from them are publicly explained.  We don't cover shit up.
View Quote
When serious enough mishaps occur, the AF will conduct 2 investigations: a safety investigation and an accident investigation. The purpose of the safety investigation is mishap prevention. Its findings are "privileged". I.E., only shared with those who need to know and who are trained in protecting safety priveledged information. The findings legally cannot be shared outside safety channels, and no assignment of blame or retribution is made.

The accident investigation is where the lawyers get involved, and people get in trouble. Those results are fully released.

The navy do it similarly?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Collisions of warships in congested areas are nothing new. There were untold numbers of them during WW2 and I'm sure they were all maneuvering to avoid one another.

I fear the missing are probably in the flooded compartments. If they went in the water after this many hours it doesn't look good either.
View Quote
With the surface radars the ships have today and being able to predict where paths may intercept, surely there is some warning about possible collisions well ahead of time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

...and painter. Don't forget painter!
View Quote
In today's Navy, Sailors do not paint nearly as much as they used to.

Most of it is contracted out. In the long run its cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For the past 8 years it appeared the Navy prioritized things other than competency.  While I can't speak to the specifics of any of these cases, I am genuinely concerned that the ramifications of those misguided priorities are "coming home to roost"
View Quote
Let me help you with that.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/794765/navy-secretary-dod-celebrate-diversity-during-lgbt-event/

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/01/06/mabus-warns-undoing-navy-reforms-farewell-address.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/navy-secretary-defends-naming-ships-after-harvey-milk-gabrielle-giffords-n648111
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the past 8 years it appeared the Navy prioritized things other than competency.  While I can't speak to the specifics of any of these cases, I am genuinely concerned that the ramifications of those misguided priorities are "coming home to roost"
Let me help you with that.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/794765/navy-secretary-dod-celebrate-diversity-during-lgbt-event/

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/01/06/mabus-warns-undoing-navy-reforms-farewell-address.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/navy-secretary-defends-naming-ships-after-harvey-milk-gabrielle-giffords-n648111
Makes me sick to my stomach to see this happening.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anyone believe those sailors are actually missing? I suspect they're still where they took their last breath.
View Quote
This.
Fair wind and following seas, Shipmates.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder how they are defining that.

There are others I am personally aware of not on that list.
Maybe those are all Class Alphas.

Not to mention Allisions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes they are, even at anchor they swing around in circles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to 3:20
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top