[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Taking it to a whole new level.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
https://esahubble.org/images/heic1502a/

This image, captured with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope, is the largest and sharpest image ever taken of the Andromeda galaxy  otherwise known as M31.

This is a cropped version of the full image and has 1.5 billion pixels. You would need more than 600 HD television screens to display the whole image.

It is the biggest Hubble image ever released and shows over 100 million stars and thousands of star clusters embedded in a section of the galaxy's pancake-shaped disc stretching across over 40 000 light-years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
That is wet aggregate and someone is shining 2 lasers on it. Most of that NASA $$ went in someone's pocket.

Prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:22:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Very cool!

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't that file size be a lot bigger than 2 MB?  I seem to remember the hubble deep field from DECADES ago being 30+ MB.  Is there a full resolution available somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Imagine living in there, on a planet where there is no such thing as night.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imagine living in there, on a planet where there is no such thing as night.
View Quote

Our shit probably looks the same way from there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]
there are aliens in that photograph
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#11]
NGC 300 looks too crowded.  

I prefer a more rural galaxy.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is wet aggregate and someone is shining 2 lasers on it. Most of that NASA $$ went in someone's pocket.

Prove me wrong.
View Quote

Naw man, that's the ready-for-packaging bin at the M&M factory in Hackettstown, New Jersey.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shouldn't that file size be a lot bigger than 2 MB?  I seem to remember the hubble deep field from DECADES ago being 30+ MB.  Is there a full resolution available somewhere?
View Quote
The full size link is there a few posts down this page, they have several sizes. The actual full size is like 4.5gb. I don't want my phone to explode so I'm not even gonna try to open it lol

heres a zoomable version of the ultra deep field
https://esahubble.org/images/heic0406a/zoomable/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#14]
It's full of stars!
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Prove me wrong.
View Quote

How about I just put you on ignore and never see the dumb shit you post again?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#16]
It looks like a speckled countertop.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thought that was why OP stated to zoom in...
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Amazing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's full of stars!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This image, captured with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope, is the largest and sharpest image ever taken of the Andromeda galaxy  otherwise known as M31.

This is a cropped version of the full image and has 1.5 billion pixels. You would need more than 600 HD television screens to display the whole image.

It is the biggest Hubble image ever released and shows over 100 million stars and thousands of star clusters embedded in a section of the galaxy's pancake-shaped disc stretching across over 40 000 light-years.
View Quote

That is the image I showed my daughter when she asked if there is a planet inhabited by dragons.

She believes there is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Undoubtedly. I regret that I will not be alive if/when we make first contact.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#23]
NGC 300 is roughly the same size and density as the Milky Way.  6 million light years away, whole species could have come and gone by the time their light reaches us.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#24]

It’s pictures like this that solidify MY opinion that we aren’t a one-off within the universe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

100%, and anybody that believes different is an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#26]
looks like a counter top with lights reflecting off it
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#27]
We are not alone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We are not alone.
View Quote

Scientists who think we are alone with those kinds of odds are nuts. We are not special. The ingredients of earth are everywhere. Everything we see is made up of the same elements. The probability of life beyond Earth are guaranteed. We have just started trying to find it or be found ourselves but eventually we will do one or the other. The odds might be so low that there may only be 8 to 15 other intelligent lifeforms in our galaxy but I bet most solar systems have at the least some form of pond scum. I would bet the the great divide for intelligent life is just giving it the right environment for a long enough time. It took Earth 4 billion years with 500 million years of a stable earth to get us here. So give the right planet 300m - 1b years and you will probably see advanced life.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#29]
It would be awesome if we has a space exploration program but nope. We have to spend our money on giving free shit to stupid and lazy people.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow!....thanks OP
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Sad, there is not a single life form in there.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like granite.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I was expecting more stars  

Jk

Edit:  That image is amazing. Whether I'm stargazing or looking at pictures like that, it always brings this verse to mind:
"The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork.
2 Day unto day utters speech,
And night unto night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language
Where their voice is not heard.
4 Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their words to the end of the world.

I don't look at that I think, " wow, that just happened," I see that and go, "that if freaking beautiful, God is an amazing artist."  I'm thankful we get to view stuff God made that most people never even knew was up there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to peace out and go find your own Earth 2.0!
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]
All of these worlds are yours, except Europa.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Scientists who think we are alone with those kinds of odds are nuts. We are not special. The ingredients of earth are everywhere. Everything we see is made up of the same elements. The probability of life beyond Earth are guaranteed. We have just started trying to find it or be found ourselves but eventually we will do one or the other. The odds might be so low that there may only be 8 to 15 other intelligent lifeforms in our galaxy but I bet most solar systems have at the least some form of pond scum. I would bet the the great divide for intelligent life is just giving it the right environment for a long enough time. It took Earth 4 billion years with 500 million years of a stable earth to get us here. So give the right planet 300m - 1b years and you will probably see advanced life.
View Quote
But then again, maybe there is something special about us...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_evil_(cosmology)

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Prove me wrong.
View Quote

I was thinking carpet with spilled glitter in the dressing room of a stripclub that someone laid a piece of glass over.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It’s pictures like this that solidify MY opinion that we aren’t a one-off within the universe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

agree. And that's just one tiny sliver of what's out there.

Even if we had a .00000000000000000001% chance of becoming multi celled organisms, that would mean there are untold millions of other races out there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#40]
To Trin Tragula's horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know of exactly one planet with life at the moment out of all places we've looked so far.

Seems like it should be possible or even likely but we really don't know until we've found example of life #2.  Once we have that then we can say that we have both a rough numerator and denominator for determining the frequency of life.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not true.

The Fermi Paradox: The Phosphorus Problem

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you suppose they are watching us and hoping this liberalism shit doesn't get off this planet?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I see Cha-Ka there to the left.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
But then again, maybe there is something special about us...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_evil_(cosmology)

View Quote
@rightist

Could you explain in layman's terms?

I kind get it but I'm sure I'm wrong.
We are the center of universe due to how we can observe the universe or something, something about the plane we occupy?

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I will never understand why we think the idea of life in other planets is a good thing.

Life is based on, and dependent upon, dominating and consuming other forms of life.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Considering the unfathomable distances this represents, I wonder how many of the stars we “see” burned out long ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It looks like a speckled countertop.
View Quote

It’s the Corian Galaxy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is the image I showed my daughter when she asked if there is a planet inhabited by dragons.

She believes there is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She believes there is.

Statistical probability says she’s right.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Given the phenomenal distances, we are alone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top