Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
And to think that all of that is the result of something that did not exist blowing up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scientists who think we are alone with those kinds of odds are nuts. We are not special. The ingredients of earth are everywhere. Everything we see is made up of the same elements. The probability of life beyond Earth are guaranteed. We have just started trying to find it or be found ourselves but eventually we will do one or the other. The odds might be so low that there may only be 8 to 15 other intelligent lifeforms in our galaxy but I bet most solar systems have at the least some form of pond scum. I would bet the the great divide for intelligent life is just giving it the right environment for a long enough time. It took Earth 4 billion years with 500 million years of a stable earth to get us here. So give the right planet 300m - 1b years and you will probably see advanced life.

Not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPU9jeQbTOU

It’s cute watching humans comprehend our little speck of knowledge of the universe and try to proportionate it to everything we don’t know about the universe.

Like I’m doing.

We are not alone. We are not unique, life outside Earth is as common as the elements that inhabit this rock.

At an infinity scale.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I will never understand why we think the idea of life in other planets is a good thing.

Life is based on, and dependent upon, dominating and consuming other forms of life.
View Quote

Energy.

Will come a point when we will be able to replicate protein and anything else to where fighting for resources from hostile planets will be pointless.

Need water? Take hydrogen and oxygen and make your own.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Given the phenomenal distances, we are alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scientists who think we are alone with those kinds of odds are nuts. We are not special. The ingredients of earth are everywhere. Everything we see is made up of the same elements. The probability of life beyond Earth are guaranteed. We have just started trying to find it or be found ourselves but eventually we will do one or the other. The odds might be so low that there may only be 8 to 15 other intelligent lifeforms in our galaxy but I bet most solar systems have at the least some form of pond scum. I would bet the the great divide for intelligent life is just giving it the right environment for a long enough time. It took Earth 4 billion years with 500 million years of a stable earth to get us here. So give the right planet 300m - 1b years and you will probably see advanced life.

Given the phenomenal distances, we are alone.

Ancient man thought the Moon was far far away, never to be reached by man.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It looks like a speckled countertop.
View Quote

When zoomed in, I was thinking sand sparkling on the sun on the beach
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The first time looking up and actually pondering the true immensity of it all was damn humbling and pretty much unfathomable. Shit be big, yo!    

These images take that to an entirely new level of awe. Very cool stuff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Images like this makes me sad that we haven't launched the Webb telescope yet.
I want to know what is past what we have already seen. I'm rooting for all their estimations of how large the universe is to be completely wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Go ahead, zoom in.

Looks like some vintage 1970 shag carpet (at a friends crash pad) covered with pee and barf

ETA - Seriously very cool, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Energy.

Will come a point when we will be able to replicate protein and anything else to where fighting for resources from hostile planets will be pointless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will never understand why we think the idea of life in other planets is a good thing.

Life is based on, and dependent upon, dominating and consuming other forms of life.

Energy.

Makes no difference to every firm of life we've ever known besides our own, none of which would ever make a distinction between protein made without other life to that which was made from other life.

Life as we know it is not in any way benign to other life. It didn't evolve that way, it never could have evolved that way. It is literally antithetical to how life works.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe there's life out there but I don't believe two forms of life will ever occupy the same space and time.

The distances are too vast.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It's almost indistinguishable from sensor noise.  Almost.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Stepping back to something that we look at for almost half the year ...

Putting it into slightly broader context with a photo I took last Fall ...

And then overlaying the two in a composite demonstration ...

Even though my sand dune image was taken with a day time camera with all of the IR filters in place over the sensor, that base image does maintain enough detail that very faint aspects of Barnard's Loop can be discerned.  They aren't impressive in that photo, even when pulling levels even further out, but they are there.  

Even the unaided eye can discern that the Orion Nebula, in the knee, is not a point star; that Pleiades, Rigel and Sirius are noticeably bluish in color; and the orange color of Betelgeuse.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]

It's true. One of my most mind opening moments was sitting in the dark, in the mountains under more stars than I can remember seeing in a long time.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
If life exists here, other life exists elsewhere. But given the incredible distances in the universe the chances that contact is made is likely close to zero.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want to know what is past what we have already seen. I'm rooting for all their estimations of how large the universe is to be completely wrong.
View Quote

Spinal Tap - What the end feels like
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20kM2xtUfBI
EXACTLY!!

If their theories are correct, there is a point where the universe has an ending point, which it it is constantly expanding past.
What is it expanding "into" though, if it is just blank space, then is that blank space a vacuum? For a vacuum to exist, there has to be something for it to react against, like the walls of a container. What is that container and what is beyond that?

Makes my brain just fizzle after a certain point
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you suppose they are watching us and hoping this liberalism shit doesn't get off this planet?
View Quote

Why, yes. There's even a story about them...the Deeli.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Now imagine that each one of those stars is a galaxy with roughly the same amount of stars in it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s all just the inside of Ymir’s skull.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t know how anyone can look at that and believe that there’s no life elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
there are aliens in that photograph
View Quote
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Imagine living in there, on a planet where there is no such thing as night.
View Quote

I suspect that if some civilization in Andromeda zoomed in on the bands in our galaxy they would see a similar picture.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#23]
@gaizkaeta

Basically it means the ecliptic, the orbit of all the planets around the Sun in our Solar System, lines up with certain "hot" and "cold" delineations of the Cosmic Microwave Background. Coincidence? Maybe... probably...very interesting though. Watch the vid below for a better explanation.

(Undebunkable) Cosmic Microwave Background Proves Intelligent Design- but by whom?

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly, I don't want them to find out we are here and wonder what type of barbeque sauce and alcohol pairs well with with humans.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Imagine living in there, on a planet where there is no such thing as night.
View Quote
Just move to the center of a globular cluster.

ETA: M4 is estimated to be "only" 5500 light years away, as the nearest one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@gaizkaeta

Basically it means the ecliptic, the orbit of all the planets around the Sun in our Solar System, lines up with certain "hot" and "cold" delineations of the Cosmic Microwave Background. Coincidence? Maybe... probably...very interesting though. Watch the vid below for a better explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htV8WTyo4rw
View Quote
Thanks!
Now I get it and actually it's pretty spooky and cool.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]
OST
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I disagree.

"Ancient man" had no fuckin' idea how far away the moon was, nor did he have any idea that it was at any distance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It’s cute watching humans comprehend our little speck of knowledge of the universe and try to proportionate it to everything we don’t know about the universe.

Like I’m doing.

We are not alone. We are not unique, life outside Earth is as common as the elements that inhabit this rock.

At an infinity scale.
View Quote

The science as we know it is referenced by Isaac Arthur in that video. We are rare if not unique. The element discussed that make our existence possible, phosphorus in particular, is rare in the universe, so rare that it may make our own expansion difficult or very restricted into other worlds. We cannot extrapolate much about life elsewhere from our own existence.

If you want to play the probability game, factor phosphorus into the Drake equation. That would contribute something to the discussion.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
With the sheer number of stars, I would be extremely surprised if life isn't abundant in the universe.

It's a shame we will never get to explore outside our own galaxy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Exactly, I don't want them to find out we are here and wonder what type of barbeque sauce and alcohol pairs well with with humans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a civilization can somehow manage intergalactic travel it will be so advanced that one of two things will happen. Either they explore everything, attempting to communicate, or at least observe and collect as much data as they can.

Or they realize that it's a mistake to explore and become vulnerable and they come up with something like a Dyson sphere and basically go dark to the rest of the universe.

It's extremely unlikely a civilization that can travel between galaxies wants anything to do with war or hostility towards other species, or they would have killed themselves off way before that point.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The science as we know it is referenced by Isaac Arthur in that video. We are rare if not unique. The element discussed that make our existence possible, phosphorus in particular, is rare in the universe, so rare that it may make our own expansion difficult or very restricted into other worlds. We cannot extrapolate much about life elsewhere from our own existence.

If you want to play the probability game, factor phosphorus into the Drake equation. That would contribute something to the discussion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I’m doing.

At an infinity scale.

Our survey nebula based phosphorus has a sample size of two.  One was rich, the other lean in phosphorus content.  I think it’s a valid point of study, but needs far more samples to draw a solid conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The first time looking up and actually pondering the true immensity of it all was damn humbling and pretty much unfathomable. Shit be big, yo!    

These images take that to an entirely new level of awe. Very cool stuff.
View Quote

Try it on LSD. Shit will fry your brain thinking about it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I almost forgot. I need to remodel my kitchen.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
looks like a counter top with lights reflecting off it
View Quote

That's because it is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Our survey nebula based phosphorus has a sample size of two.  One was rich, the other lean in phosphorus content.  I think it’s a valid point of study, but needs far more samples to draw a solid conclusion.
View Quote

Agree. Come on Webb!
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Light speed. A light year is an insurmountable obstacle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We’ll need to figure out a workaround. Folding space, latching onto a tachyon, something.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Now imagine that each one of those stars is a galaxy with roughly the same amount of stars in it.
View Quote

Come again? A star is a galaxy?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#41]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra-Deep_Field

The Hubble Ultra-Deep Field (HUDF) is an image of a small region of space in the constellation Fornax, containing an estimated 10,000 galaxies.
View Quote

This is even more fascinating.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When viewed far enough away the collective light of a galaxy can appear as a single star.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#43]
The concept of size has always intrigued me.  Even though it’s a quote from a movie, the idea is very interesting.
“The galaxy's hundreds and millions of stars and planets. How's it here? ......You humans. When're you gonna learn that size doesn't matter? Just 'cause something's important, doesn't mean it's not very, very small.”

The thought that a galaxy might be contained in something the size of a marble or even an atom is almost unimaginable to most.  As advanced as we think we are we may actually only be in our intellectual infancy.  As Socrates said, “The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing “
What a truly fascinating world we live in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are at least that many galaxies out there as there are stars in that picture.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#45]
No life there.

Nope

No way
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#46]
That is mind blowing amazing.  I wish we could know the infinite possibilities of life.... probably some asshole that’s looks like me typing this same post a gajillion light years away.

Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s the Corian Galaxy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks like a speckled countertop.

It’s the Corian Galaxy.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]
God's song.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#49]
98 pages.  Higher resolution links can be found in the margins after clicking on the photo in the gallery page.

Have fun...

https://esahubble.org/images/page/1/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do you suppose they are watching us and hoping this liberalism shit doesn't get off this planet?
View Quote

Earth is a reality show.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top