BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been looking at these but still have a bad taste in my mouth from my old Maxima.
View Quote
What was wrong with it? I've had a 1996 that was under 2 feet of water in Katrina and a 2007 I beat the fuck out of that never quit on me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It is shocking people still buy Nissans.  Consumer reports did a Top 10 models that are most likely to need a transmission replacement, and 6 of the top 10 were Nissan/Infinity.
View Quote

Their CVT’s suck.

On the other hand I beat the living hell out of the two Nissans I had in high school/ college and they were rock solid.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Son had one for a while and really liked it.

His had two problems while he owned it.

1st one was the transmission line clamps malfunction.  His wife drove into the driveway and the clamp let go, dumping transmission fluid onto the driveway.  Apparently that was a common problem with the model year he owned.

Second one was a sensor malfunction.  Dealership could not diagnose the problem but Son determined the solution after a quick internet search.  He took it to our private mechanic and the mechanic fixed it with his guidance.  While his was being repaired, a second Armada arrive at the mechanic with the same problem, which the dealer had not fixed.  Mechanic used his solution to fix that one also.  Hopefully Nissan has fixed those problems in the more recent model years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah but Nissan
View Quote

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but Nissan

This guy gets it.

I bet you two buy fucking Fjords
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's because its a design that dates back to 2010
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d be all in except the crash ratings suck

It's because its a design that dates back to 2010

So, shit mileage, shit interior, shit resale, shit safety ratings, 30k mile transmission flushes and it’s a Nissan.  You guys probably buy McDonald’s when you’re hungry for a steak, too.

Just to spend $30k to look like you just came from the ghetto.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Most people don't realize that the fender vents are actually functional and serve a purpose unlike most vents on vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The latest gen is great and decent looking (aside from fender vents). The previous gens are absolutely horrid looking. Buy here/pay here lots are full of them as the depreciate like a mother.

Most people don't realize that the fender vents are actually functional and serve a purpose unlike most vents on vehicles.

Interdasting. I was about to say something like they would make good marking points to cut out for the swim tubes for the air intake.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had parts shipped from Australia and converted my wife’s to a Y62 Patrol. Barely fits under the 8ft garage header and she says that she always comes out of stores with men standing around staring at it.
View Quote

@bobweaver

Pics por favor….of the truck…
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is shocking people still buy Nissans.  Consumer reports did a Top 10 models that are most likely to need a transmission replacement, and 6 of the top 10 were Nissan/Infinity.
View Quote

The Armada, Titan, and Frontier do not have CVT transmissions.

It's rare to have transmission issues in Nissans with conventional transmissions.

I've had more issues with Ford transmissions than Nissan.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Armadas ahead a few SL and Platinum versions when we’ve been on vacation.  They used to be a lot of SUV for the money, but not sure how used pandemic prices are on them
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did a quick check last night and CarMax Armadas were running about 60,000 miles for a 2020.  Who puts that many miles on a vehicle?
View Quote

When I got paid mileage I drove about 50K miles a year. Didn't care as I was getting paid $.55 per mile. Paid for the vehicle and I'd gladly go back to it if I could.

My work truck averages out to about 40K miles a year right now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The latest gen is great and decent looking (aside from fender vents). The previous gens are absolutely horrid looking. Buy here/pay here lots are full of them as the depreciate like a mother.

Fender vent is the actual air intake. Also, makes it convenient to install a snorkel kit on them like they do down under.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm have been in an out of Yukons and Tahoes for a while. Latest one is a 2004, and to be honest it's time for a change. I was looking at GX460 but since covid they are just too much for my budget. I've been looking at Armadas and they are everywhere! I don't care about the body style, I'm looking for a reliable capable 4wd that will give me
good value for the dollar. Is there any reason not to buy the earlier model armada (Except for the styling?)
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Too bad Nissan doesn't include the lockers on the Armada sold in the US like the real Patrol has.

Y62 Patrols Getting Thrashed!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but Nissan

This guy gets it.

You spelled Acura and Subaru master race wrong, grasshopper.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm have been in an out of Yukons and Tahoes for a while. Latest one is a 2004, and to be honest it's time for a change. I was looking at GX460 but since covid they are just too much for my budget. I've been looking at Armadas and they are everywhere! I don't care about the body style, I'm looking for a reliable capable 4wd that will give me
good value for the dollar. Is there any reason not to buy the earlier model armada (Except for the styling?)
View Quote

If you are looking for reliability, very capable 4wd and affordability, you should check out the older GX470s.  You can find them from time to time for ~$5k with like 150kish miles on them.  They aren't gonna win any awards for having the newest or greatest tech in them, but for $5k they will last you another 150k to 200k miles and will be insanely capable offroaders.  Its one of the standard overlanding vehicles people use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's rare to have transmission issues in Nissans with conventional transmissions.

View Quote

My old 03 Tahoe tossed tranny teeth at 85k miles. POS

My 14 Titan has been fine, 107k miles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Will they get 20 on the hwy?

I'm a Toyota fan but have always liked these.
View Quote

I rented a QX80 (I think) Infinity version a few summers ago. Put 3,500 miles on it, and it averaged 19.9 mpg. I never could get it to hit 20. Also a huge Toyota fan, but I was pretty impressed with it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/1F9878C9-B92F-4318-8C35-10102C2ABFB9_jpe-2717066.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/1F9878C9-B92F-4318-8C35-10102C2ABFB9_jpe-2717066.JPG

My 08 Titan has 217K miles and still going strong. My Dad just bought a 2021 Titan and I like it as well.

I've never been impressed with any of my Ford F150 work trucks. 2010, 2014, and 2021. My 06 F150 went through 5 transmissions in 27K miles and I was able to lemon law it.

The Titan and Armada are very underrated vehicles. Most of the haters have never driven one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged.

And a question:  is the Titan the same vehicle/drivetrain, just without the SUV body?  Also reliable?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I think one of these would make a fantastic camping rig. How is the aftermarket off road market for these?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had parts shipped from Australia and converted my wife’s to a Y62 Patrol. Barely fits under the 8ft garage header and she says that she always comes out of stores with men standing around staring at it.
View Quote

Pics of conversion?!

Need to see that bad boy
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pics of conversion?!

Need to see that bad boy
View Quote

Try to get some taken later today. Probably going to disappoint anyone expecting some overland modded out transformer. It’s the wife’s car and she only let me do so much, which was basically things you can’t see other than the suspension and tires. Still a really nice looking vehicle and no one else around this area has something similar. It was very difficult to get all the parts shipped from overseas and them just as difficult to find someone to install them all.  Not sure how the off-road capabilities compare to the stock 4x4 Armada, but we have a large ranch with lots of different terrain, including wet and dry riverbeds and it handles the whole ranch marvelously.  There were parts of the ranch that even my stock F150 would bottom out but her truck goes everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
My 14 has been reliable.  I can't speak for the newer ones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#25]
As mentioned prior, that V8 engine is manufactured at the Nissan Decherd plant.  It is the only place it is produced- and yes, exported to Japan as well.  I have set foot in that plant many times- and designed equipment for the production of that engine.  Funny story, there were some very early engine failures a while back (not a great many) that got Nissan's attention.  They replaced everything for free, and investigated.  They pulled data from "my" machine and found out an operator had re-introduced engine blocks that had been rejected by the gage station.  They canned him immediately.  U.S. guys in that plant are really great to deal with- fit in here well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you are looking for reliability, very capable 4wd and affordability, you should check out the older GX470s.  You can find them from time to time for ~$5k with like 150kish miles on them.  They aren't gonna win any awards for having the newest or greatest tech in them, but for $5k they will last you another 150k to 200k miles and will be insanely capable offroaders.  Its one of the standard overlanding vehicles people use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great suggestion. I've tried looking for the older GX's and the pickings have been slim, and even those got a big bump post covid.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Tires are 285 but 295 would fit without issue. We had to stay with the 285 because the racks on top of the car would have rubbed on the 8ft garage door header.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215811/24D2BD68-8A63-4628-AB81-9AF831B63766-2717310.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215811/049B23B5-2145-4A14-8795-71DAA2D759BF-2717311.jpg

Tires are 285 but 295 would fit without issue. We had to stay with the 285 because the racks on top of the car would have rubbed on the 8ft garage door header.
View Quote

Is thats the Armada front bumper or the Patrol's? Looks shorter than Armadas.
It looks real nice, just imagine what the ground clearance would look like if you removed the running boards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So, shit mileage, shit interior, shit resale, shit safety ratings, 30k mile transmission flushes and it’s a Nissan.  You guys probably buy McDonald’s when you’re hungry for a steak, too.

Just to spend $30k to look like you just came from the ghetto.

View Quote

Dang! Who hurt you? Lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I sold our Armada 3mo ago.

It was a turd.

Continuous air suspension problems.
View Quote

There are some year models to avoid and air suspension pretty much is a problem no matter what the make and model is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I remember that discussion, I dont know what to say for sure....there is no way in the world you can tell me any Nissan and Infinity is better than a Toyota or Lexus.  I have a 2020 Landcruiser and 2022 4Runner and these are by far the finest vehicles I have ever owned and have been owning vehicles since 1974.
View Quote

A Nissan Hardbody will outlive a similar Toyota pickup from that era.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
V8 400 horsepower 6,000 pound vehicle body on frame truck 0-60 mph 5.9 seconds, tow rating of 8,500 lbs 4wd. All mechanical issues worked out by the 2020 model year yet way cheaper than 2021s because that's when they did a model update.11inches of ground clearance after you remove the factory running boards and can fit 35s without a lift kit with no rubbing. Thease can easily be had for $30-35k on the used market while a comparable used Tahoe is still 45-50k

Huge value for $ in today's market
View Quote

I found one with 90,000 miles for $23,050.

Lots of mile for a 3 or 4 year old car
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#35]
you won't think it is such a good deal when the tranny blows and costs you $4000.00

it is low priced for a reason
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It was a turd.

View Quote

Do they all have an air suspension?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know Nissan has issues with a lot of its models but the Frontiers are bullet proof. My last model, a 2012, which I just got rid of had 230,000 miles with zero issues during that time. The one before that I got 206,000 before it was totaled when I was rear-ended at a stop light. I just picked up my third one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but Nissan

This guy gets it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

those are tiny compared to the Armada
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was a turd.

View Quote

Sounds like you had shitty techs working on it. It's a super simple design.

I don't think the McLaren style hydraulic system was ever offered on the armadas
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you won't think it is such a good deal when the tranny blows and costs you $4000.00

it is low priced for a reason
View Quote

It has a std JATCO not some domestic POS tranny
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a turd.

In the rear...$560 for the conversion parts
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In the rear...$560 for the conversion parts
View Quote

Well that's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm putting 35s on mine when I get it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I've always wondered why there isn't a stronger 'overlanding' aftermarket for the Armada/Infiniti Patrol platform.  They do it up good in Australia, and it seems like it would be a popular platform here in the states if the accessories were there to buy.

ETA.  I recall watching a video discussing some of the shortcomings of the Armada off road.  I think I recall it having very little flex, anemic low range T-case gearing, and not a very good traction control (such as the pretty good factory ATRAC on the Toyota).  The lack of traction control could probably easily be fixed by just throwing an ARB or E-locker in the back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Been very happy with ours. I think its a 2012 with about 130k on it. Wife's vehicle.

My old truck was an 08 Titan that I beat the snot out of from 2008-2021, with over 200k very ugly miles on it (tons of off road/haul roads).

Both are/were great vehicles, but as mentioned...thirsty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Drove one at lunch out of curiosity. Specifically found a 2020.

They are the AMC Matador of SUVs.
I thought they would be sort of big in a cool way. But it was in a clown shoes way.
Body roll in all directions was distracting. Doughy handling.
Interior was cheap and doors thin.
Center of gravity obnoxiously high. (My daily driver is a 3/4 ton)
Large interior with small footwell.
Tranny slipped. Had unnatural shift points.

Was happy to get back in 2500hd.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#48]
My wifes ‘00 Xterra was a piece of shit.  My Titan was great until it wasnt (150k mi) and fell appart
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thoughts on the Infinti QX80? I'd think it's similar enough...
View Quote

I really like ours. It's a tank, had 100k trouble free miles, relatively easy on gas for that big a vehicle, good ride on the highway.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You’re comparing a 15k car to the greatest suv ever made
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been looking at these but still have a bad taste in my mouth from my old Maxima.

You’re comparing a 15k car to the greatest suv ever made

Wrong , the land cruiser / Lexus LX series holds that title
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top