Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a story out of the UK years ago about a FV101 Avis Scorpion or something doing a speed run during mfg testing and it got up to a pretty decent speed but something happened it either the driver lost control or it threw a track.

The resulting mess was not pretty, I think afterwards the MOD required that series to be speed governed to like 45 mph.

Factoid the FV100 series had rubber impregnated tracks rather than the removable rubber pads.
The tracks normally aren't worn out when the rubber wears down, just can't drive it on the road anymore in the UK.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hybrid?

Serious question.  The History Channel like 10 years ago before it became the garbage picker channel demonstrated electric APCs that were so stinking quiet, it's amazing.

Noise on the battlefield from 50 tons of squeaking metal is one thing, but that turbine engine is loud!

ETA now, if only a good gun company would make the polymer 0.70" Browning action .32 ACP or .380 ACP DOA with actual night sights and configuration that fits a man's hand .like a PSM-sized.
View Quote
@32ACP Beretta Pico is that gun. Most people don't know it has a browning tilting action, but anyone cycling one will notice if they look at the ejection port. The night sight version is the shit and the extended baseplate mags give a pretty full grip.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dear god don't be an EV.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But why.
View Quote

What do you mean why?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
We need the Eludium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator for better power.

Or, Element 115
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The most awesome part of that turbine engine is proving that horsepower is the number to look at when you need to evaluate an engine's ability to do work.  73.6 tons is moved quite nicely by an engine that makes 395 ft-lbs of torque at peak which drops to 277 ft-lbs at the 30,000 rpm speed where 1500 hp is produced.

View Quote

I believe there is a gear box what is the torque at the tracks?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i really hope they got rid of that stupid turbine engine.
View Quote

Why? Except for fuel consumption, it is superior in every way to a tier 4 diesel.
One thing the US Army gets right is logistics.
We can haul 3x the fuel for 15% better Preformance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I believe there is a gear box what is the torque at the tracks?
View Quote
whatever it takes to reduce 30k rpm to the couple hundred the drive wheel does at top speed.   A fuckin lot. like all of the torques.  

It's a 4 speed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why? Except for fuel consumption, it is superior in every way to a tier 4 diesel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Road consumption was similar to the M60A3.  I talked to the old grognards about it when we were filling the spiffy new M1(IP)'s.

It's the sitting there idling where the M1 consumes so much more, and that's a lot of the time.

That's also why they added APU's.

We had one of the early ones that was a box that went on the rear with a tail-light relocated on it.  I hear they're on the turret using valuable space in the bustle rack now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voted most retarded comment of the day !
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The crew (xrew?) will have to enter their pronouns before it starts up and moves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dear god don't be an EV.

It is an all of the crews will be LBGTQ whatever the fuck they're called

The crew (xrew?) will have to enter their pronouns before it starts up and moves.
It'll be closer to a breath-a-lyzer, except you'll have to suck on it
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

they belong in the air not on the ground.

were the only ones that have made them work but at a needless cost.
View Quote
I have to agree.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

High fuel consumption.  They require a tremendous amount of air when operating and this poses problems longer term in desert/arid conditions.  The fine sand particulate is sucked up and through the V-Packs and into the turbine, thus causing damage.  In the case of my M1A1 in Desert Storm, total turbine destruction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what's wrong with the turbine? The only real weakness I know of is that it consumes a lot of fuel - but being a very multi-fuel capable engine in a time where they were expecting to be retreating with supply lines that would have been getting shorter (and the ability to scrounge fuel from wherever they happened to find it), the turbine made sense. Low coolant requirements and a small size helped too.  

It's too bad they didn't follow through with the re-engening that got canceled with the Crusader. Same power with a lot less fuel consumption and a seamless drop-in swap.

High fuel consumption.  They require a tremendous amount of air when operating and this poses problems longer term in desert/arid conditions.  The fine sand particulate is sucked up and through the V-Packs and into the turbine, thus causing damage.  In the case of my M1A1 in Desert Storm, total turbine destruction.

I’m not aware of a single Abrams in 2nd or 4th Tank Bn that suffered destroyed engines due to sand during or immediately after ODS.  

We removed and blew the filters out with an air want connected to another tank (“buddy system”).  Even that bit of operator level PMCS has been largely if not completely eliminated with the installation of the PJAS system back in the late ‘90s.  

Some of you sound like the last time you read about the Abrams was during the Reagan administration.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember hearing once that the Abrams has thousands of pounds of copper wiring in it that could be shaved off by switching to fiber optic.  Did they ever do that?
View Quote

Not sure about copper wire, but a bit of trivia is that the Abrams hull has 1,500 lbs of welding bead, and the turret has 500 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We haven't actually built new ones in decades, they just go to Lima and get rebuilt, several times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Abrams is not 10 million dollars.  When I was a supply SGT my whole property book was only 64 million dollars.  14 SEP V2 tanks, 2 HMMWV, a M113 a, LMTV and a water trailer was the only big items. Everything else was cheap shit like chem detectors, radios and pistols and rifles.  

Tanks are pretty fucking cheap actually.
We haven't actually built new ones in decades, they just go to Lima and get rebuilt, several times.

Depending on the type of rebuild, the hull and turret can be stripped down to the bare hull and turret “structures” (old armor cut away and discarded, structure remachined to bring back to original dimensions) and rebuilt from the structures on up with new armor packages.  

Ever been inside of the turret?  The interior walls of the turret are part of the turret “structure”.  Completely different way of fabricating turrets and hulls compared to sand castings that were used since WW II (with a few exceptions) up until the Abrams.    
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Really, it needs some fins, some nice chrome, and curb feelers. Gay is the new force one look.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am a tanker, why is the turbine stupid?  The whole thing comes out transmission and all in one lift.  Takes no time at all really.  It is incredibly quiet, much quieter than a diesel engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a tanker, why is the turbine stupid?  The whole thing comes out transmission and all in one lift.  Takes no time at all really.  It is incredibly quiet, much quieter than a diesel engine.

It’s not, but you know that due to your time in the turret.

Lower life cycle / maintenance costs, higher reliability, more power, near zero visual signature (no black, sooty exhaust smoke like you have with Diesel engines), & very quiet.

Diesel engines are complex, unreliable, noisy, smoky, underpowered in comparison and are maintenance intensive.  To sum it up, they fucking suck.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread is full of stupid
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Road consumption was similar to the M60A3.  I talked to the old grognards about it when we were filling the spiffy new M1(IP)'s.

It's the sitting there idling where the M1 consumes so much more, and that's a lot of the time.

We had one of the early ones that was a box that went on the rear with a tail-light relocated on it.  I hear they're on the turret using valuable space in the bustle rack now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old EAPU that the US Army tried to mount on the rear of the hull was easily damaged while operating in rough terrain, so it was relocated to the rear of the turret.  They are noisy, so they suck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The old EAPU that the US Army tried to mount on the rear of the hull was easily damaged while operating in rough terrain, so it was relocated to the rear of the turret.  They are noisy, so they suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My company didn't manage to hurt any, but someone pivoted one into a tree in another company the same field exercise.

When were loading on the HETT it barely cleared the ground, we expected that to be where we lost one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

none of which that can really be justified in todays time for its cost.

we had all the best shit in the world and we still lost Vietnam and Afghanistan.

we have a ton of shit that is so needlessly expensive for its combat effectiveness.

i also dont trust the competency of the old military contract industries, hell upstart Space X could build a F35 for 2/3rd the cost if they wanted.

we are so fucking lucky to have two oceans and for our competitors in this world to be so grossly incompetent or we would be fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many reasons why the Abrams turbine engine is still quite relevant.

we had all the best shit in the world and we still lost Vietnam and Afghanistan.

we have a ton of shit that is so needlessly expensive for its combat effectiveness.

i also dont trust the competency of the old military contract industries, hell upstart Space X could build a F35 for 2/3rd the cost if they wanted.

we are so fucking lucky to have two oceans and for our competitors in this world to be so grossly incompetent or we would be fucked.

We did not lose in Vietnam and Afghanistan. The politicians lost those wars.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

oh i know.

there is a reason they never made the jet car into production.

each engine was near $100,000 in todays money.

they are extremely expensive.

A Abrams is like what? 10 million? would not be surprised if 3 million of that is just of the engine itself.

sure back in the 70s conventional engines could not do the power output required but now? fuck we can make a v12 have 2000 hp easy, maybe even multi fuel

just put a fucking normal engine in it already for half the cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, now - That turbine shares the same lineage as the mighty Mopar you're driving!

oh i know.

there is a reason they never made the jet car into production.

each engine was near $100,000 in todays money.

they are extremely expensive.

A Abrams is like what? 10 million? would not be surprised if 3 million of that is just of the engine itself.

sure back in the 70s conventional engines could not do the power output required but now? fuck we can make a v12 have 2000 hp easy, maybe even multi fuel

just put a fucking normal engine in it already for half the cost.

How much does those v12s weight?

Dry weight:
400 lb (180 kg) (YT700-GE-700)
437 lb (198 kg) (T700-GE-700)
537 lb (244 kg) (T700/T6E)
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How much does those v12s weight?

Dry weight:
400 lb (180 kg) (YT700-GE-700)
437 lb (198 kg) (T700-GE-700)
537 lb (244 kg) (T700/T6E)
View Quote

3,968 lb (1800) (MTU 883)

But it gets better. Add 350 pounds, 159kg, for fluids that a turbine doesn’t use. And I’m not sure if the published MTU figure includes the cooling system.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But it gets better. Add 350 pounds, 159kg, for fluids that a turbine doesn't use. And I'm not sure if the published MTU figure includes the cooling system.
View Quote
once you get to 65 tons....whats a couple more?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#25]
We haven’t gotten to the part where a smaller turbine engine could give you room for a spare 50 rounds in the hull. Theoretically you could also shorten by a road wheel but that might fuck up the width to length ratio.

The Abrams should have had the turbine mounted transversely from day one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it gets better. Add 350 pounds, 159kg, for fluids that a turbine doesn't use. And I'm not sure if the published MTU figure includes the cooling system.

Also, the cooling and lubrication system takes 150hp to run.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Rather wondering why the focus on quiet, when RPAs don't hunt based on sound...
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rather wondering why the focus on quiet, when RPAs don't hunt based on sound...
View Quote

Because the sound of tanks alerts the enemy, who has ears. Look at that famous Russian bridging effort that got blown up, they were compromised by outboard engines on engineers boats.

RPAs aren’t the greatest threat to an Abrams in major combat anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dear god don't be an EV.
View Quote

Guaranteed that's what it is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dear god don't be an EV.

What’s wrong with that?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#31]
A hybrid drive system wouldn't be bad. Keep the lightweight and powerful turbine (but set it up as a generator), combine it with electric motors driving the drive wheels (which removes the need for a transmission), and add a large battery so the tank can run silent for a while if needed or use battery power in stationary positions (which removes the need for the APU and still saves tons of fuel).
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Really dude?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because the sound of tanks alerts the enemy, who has ears. Look at that famous Russian bridging effort that got blown up, they were compromised by outboard engines on engineers boats.

RPAs aren't the greatest threat to an Abrams in major combat anyway.
View Quote
RPAs are going to be doing the recon, Artillery and ATGMs doing the killing.  Not always, not everywhere, but that is what has been the takeaway over the last several years.  Battlefield sensing gets you much better PK than anything else.  Knowing is half the battle...
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
RPAs are going to be doing the recon, Artillery and ATGMs doing the killing.  Not always, not everywhere, but that is what has been the takeaway over the last several years.  Battlefield sensing gets you much better PK than anything else.  Knowing is half the battle...
View Quote

I completely agree, but that doesn’t mean that sound isn’t important. It can enable the enemy to locate you non line of sight and there are sensor arrays that listen also. I suspect also that a hybrid vehicle will have a smaller thermal signature, perhaps significantly so if the engine can be smaller.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no way that a diesel-electric drivetrain is lighter than a turbine drivetrain.
Yes, turbines are usually used in planes, because they are so light for the power you get. Very few planes have ever used diesel engines, and not with a heavy generator/motor set to go along with the diesel. Yes, 2020 diesels now get much better fuel consumption than 1960's diesels, and so do 2020 turbines compared to 1960 turbines. BOTH are more expensive than the old versions, mostly because of the electronics used for controls and the more expensive material costs.

edit to add: The New Mexico, Tennessee and Colorado class battleships built in WWI had turbo-electric propulsion; steam turbines driving generators and electric motors spinning the propellers. The system was more flexible as far as space as the electric motors didn't need to be where the steam turbines were in the middle of the ship, allowing the heavy prop shafts to be much shorter and greatly reducing vibration problems. But the system overall was heavier, and had problems with salt air getting to the motors. It was the weight of the system that caused the navy to go back to the standard steam turbine shaft drive for the later class battleships as they were built under the displacement (weight) limitations of the Washington Naval treaty and couldn't afford the heavier weight of the electric system.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#36]
An EV would be fine if it wasn't a fuckin computer on wheels. Granted you're not gonna traverse the country side in a tank without support in the rear

But have you seen the amount of computer gear in a modern tank? Displays, weapons systems etc. It ain't your WW2 tank with nothin but a periscope

Then again, modern wars with tanks aren't really traversing the countryside anymore like its the Battle of the Bulge. We have drones and reconnaissance support and the tank isn't the weapon it used to be. Unless your're in some shithole war zone you shouldn't be involved in the first place. So I can totally see an EV tank for very short battles since who the hell uses a tank anymore unless your in some shithole Ukraine war with no support  .

Just send in the drones these days
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm sure any ongoing upgrade plans are watching the orc fails and taking notes

The battlefield is changing faster than ever before. A drone with a 12 year old operator has lethality the VC never dreamed of
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Basically like a freight locomotive? Could be cool.
View Quote

Sounds like it may be. Diesel generator to power electric drive motors. Torque out the ass. Bet it'll be fast too
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
EV Tanks are all fun and games until the lithium-cobalt battery pack takes a hit then explodes more violently than a T-72 taking a SABOT in the ass, I mean gas tanks. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Seriously people, lithium-ion is no fucking joke.
View Quote

Just because it may have electric drive doesn't mean there is a battery pack. Diesel electric locomotives don't use batteries
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#40]
[b]Quoted:[b]

Just send in the drones these days
View Quote

This is the same mistake the airpower proponents have been making for 100 years. And for 75 of those years we’ve had the evidence to know better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just because it may have electric drive doesn't mean there is a battery pack. Diesel electric locomotives don't use batteries
View Quote

If it has a silent mode, it has batteries, supercapacitors, or both.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We haven’t gotten to the part where a smaller turbine engine could give you room for a spare 50 rounds in the hull. Theoretically you could also shorten by a road wheel but that might fuck up the width to length ratio.

View Quote

A smaller turbine *might* make room for more batteries (critical for the A2 variant) or an internally mounted EAPU, but the size of the  “pack” is mostly transmission, not the AGT 1500 turbine engine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A smaller turbine *might* make room for more batteries (critical for the A2 variant) or an internally mounted EAPU, but the size of the  “pack” is mostly transmission, not the AGT 1500 turbine engine.
View Quote

In the early 1990s there was a proposal for a transverse mounted AGT-1500. Just that change was expected to free up 47-76 cubic feet. Keep in mind that a likely replacement turbine is likely to be half the size of there AGT1500 and the Kinetic EX Drive is 1520x750x830mm. I can’t find dimensions for the Allison X1100 but I suspect it’s not much different. So in theory about 100 cubic feet should be workable, or about 4 times what a late model Tahoe has in the back with the seats up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In the early 1990s there was a proposal for a transverse mounted AGT-1500. Just that change was expected to free up 47-76 cubic feet. Keep in mind that a likely replacement turbine is likely to be half the size of there AGT1500 and the Kinetic EX Drive is 1520x750x830mm. I can't find dimensions for the Allison X1100 but I suspect it's not much different. So in theory about 100 cubic feet should be workable, or about 4 times what a late model Tahoe has in the back with the seats up.
View Quote
Lots of room for activities...or batteries.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:46:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Assuming all of near peer adversaries are dissecting NLAWS and Javelins right now courtesy of Russia/Ukraine, and adding tweaks:

I'd probably rather ride around in a M4 Sherman with a very good active protection system designed around worse case top attack munitions than a new M1 variant that doesn't take that into account.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:49:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Russia probably won’t be able to copy an NLAW let alone a Javelin. China has a top attack thermal seeking missile already.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Driver, engage whisper mode....
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:20:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Driver, engage whisper mode....
View Quote

You would give a private that switch?

Good luck finding your tank in the morning

??
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A smaller turbine *might* make room for more batteries (critical for the A2 variant) or an internally mounted EAPU, but the size of the  "pack" is mostly transmission, not the AGT 1500 turbine engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We haven't gotten to the part where a smaller turbine engine could give you room for a spare 50 rounds in the hull. Theoretically you could also shorten by a road wheel but that might fuck up the width to length ratio.

A smaller turbine *might* make room for more batteries (critical for the A2 variant) or an internally mounted EAPU, but the size of the  "pack" is mostly transmission, not the AGT 1500 turbine engine.
A hybrid system with a turbine powering electric motors doesn't need a transmission, which could be useful. I'm not sure how much smaller electric motors are versus the transmission assembly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A hybrid system with a turbine powering electric motors doesn't need a transmission, which could be useful. I'm not sure how much smaller electric motors are versus the transmission assembly.
View Quote

I posted the dimensions of the Qinetic electric transmission above.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top