Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/16/2014 8:42:48 AM EDT
Admittedly, California is not the greatest place to live for a gun enthusiast.  Actually, let's be honest... it downright sucks.  Thought, it's not as bad as some states *COUGHNEWYORKCOUGH*.  I'm essentially here involuntarily, but that's neighter here nor there.  Regardless of the irrational crybaby fears of a lot of these idiotic treehuggers, we're still able to have some fun and a lot of our freedoms haven't been trampled on yet.  I own an AR, and have only had to make two small modifications to make it legal here.  I'm not in love with those mods by any means, but it's really better than nothing and moving simply isn't an option at this point.  Still, virtually anything that you can put on an AR, I can legally own here (save for supressors, short barrels, and regular mag releases).  I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the list of evil, scary banned manufacturers here, which is completely ridiculous in it's own right but not terribly difficult to work around.

Which brings me to my current gripe.  It is a gripe that I share with many people I've come to discover.  Cheaper than Dirt will not ship anything to me here.  I've tried to order muzzle brakes (legal), range ammo (legal), a new grip (legal), 10 round mags (legal), rail covers (legal), BUIS (legal) and a host of other components, and always recieve the same message:  Can not deliver to your area code.  

Turns out they just downright refuse to ship anything here (as far as I've discovered, anyway).  

Now, California is the highest populated state in the country at 38.3 million people, and is SECOND ONLY TO TEXAS in the number of gun owners.  CTD is clearly not hurting for business, but they're also potentially excluding a MASSIVE customer base by refusing to ship anything here--a refusal for which there seems to be no logical reason.   You rarely hear of a business that doesn't want to make more money.

So, I'd like to know your thoughts/theories/inside knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck California
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if the OP doesn't know....
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck California
View Quote

Very constructive input... thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Double fail.

Cheaper than dirt and California .
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck California
View Quote

It's like a dog that barks incessantly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I would rather do without, than order from CTD, and I'm in MO.
Start cruising the EE and buy the shit you need from there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Double fail.

View Quote

Could you elaborate?  I see a lot of CTD hate, and I'm starting to get it.  I'm not "in the know", as it were...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it has to do with the fact that just about everything is regulated in some way in California, and the state is replete with AGs who would love to file civil actions across state lines for BS reasons.

I don't blame any gun/ammo/accessories company who won't ship anything to CA, or NY, NJ, IL, MA, etc...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Double fail.

View Quote

Word!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Your anger is misdirected, it should lie with your lawmakers.  CTD just said fuck it we aren't chancing shipping a banned item to California.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#11]
There's lots of companies that just fuck off when it comes to California and it's retardedness. Blame your shithole state, CTD.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your anger is misdirected, it should lie with your lawmakers.  CTD just said fuck it we aren't chancing shipping a banned item to California.
View Quote

It very much does lie with them, trust me.  Regardless, Californians still desire and are able to acquire things from virtually every other company.  It just mystifies me why a company would shut out millions of potential customers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's lots of companies that just fuck off when it comes to California and it's retardedness. Blame your shithole state, CTD.
View Quote

Not really.  So far, they're the only one I've come across that has a blanket policy of denial.  The only other things I've really seen is some smaller outfits hesitant to ship ammo here...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont blame them, too much work to wade through the convoluted laws of states like California for the small amount of potential customers.

As a rule, I wont buy FROM California if I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Too bad all freedom loving companies don't do the same to the communist areas.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It very much does lie with them, trust me.  Regardless, Californians still desire and are able to acquire things from virtually every other company.  It just mystifies me why a company would shut out millions of potential customers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes making a statement is worth more than dollars.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The percentage of right leaning freedom loving 'mericans out here might surprise you... they don't outnumber the goddamn hippies, but it's still pretty high.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
CTD has problems but California is a problem.
What company would want to do business in a state where they might get sued for some bullshit random whim?
Sorry, but your state sucks. CTD has simply made a business decision.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose.  Since everyone seems to be saying fuck CTD, though... dollars might not be something to snub your nose at.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
CTD has problems but California is a problem.
What company would want to do business in a state where they might get sued for some bullshit random whim?
Sorry, but your state sucks. CTD has simply made a business decision.
View Quote

I know it sucks.  Oh, how I know.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#21]
That's like saying some prisons are better than others and your prison has a really nice torn rectum repairman.  

Quoted:

The percentage of right leaning freedom loving 'mericans out here might surprise you... they don't outnumber the goddamn hippies, but it's still pretty high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Double fail.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's like saying some prisons are better than others and your prison has a really nice torn rectum repairman.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean... if you were in prison, would you rather have a really great rectum repairman, or a shakie junkie with a rusty fishhook and some twine?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Could you elaborate?  I see a lot of CTD hate, and I'm starting to get it.  I'm not "in the know", as it were...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double fail.

In the days (and months) after Sandy Hook happened, people were panic-buying any gun-related thing they could get their hands on. Meanwhile, CTD was busy price-gouging the holy living fuck out of all of their customers. They were basically the only ones who had AR mags, ammo, "cool" firearms, etc. in stock on a regular basis and so they set their prices for astronomical, knowing that people would pay whatever they asked because lots of people thought AR's would be banned federally and this was their last chance to get one or to get mags.  

CTD was charging $600 for a 100rd Beta Mag, $140 for a standard PMag, and $100 for used USGI mags. You could buy a standard, bottom-shelf AR from them for maybe $3k if they had one in stock. It was pretty fucking disgusting, especially considering the blatant irony of their business name.

Fuck CTD.

Now you've been informed, OP.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Op if you're looking for $98 USGI mags I got you covered. I'll give you an arfcom discount and let them go @$75 each. Let me know
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#26]
In on one!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In the days (and months) after Sandy Hook happened, people were panic-buying any gun-related thing they could get their hands on. Meanwhile, CTD was busy price-gouging the holy living fuck out of all of their customers. They were basically the only ones who had AR mags, ammo, "cool" firearms, etc. in stock on a regular basis and so they set their prices for astronomical, knowing that people would pay whatever they asked because lots of people thought AR's would be banned federally and this was their last chance to get one or to get mags.  

CTD was charging $600 for a 100rd Beta Mag, $140 for a standard PMag, and $100 for used USGI mags. You could buy a standard, bottom-shelf AR from them for maybe $3k if they had one in stock. It was pretty fucking disgusting, especially considering the blatant irony of their business name.

Fuck CTD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double fail.

Fuck CTD.

You're forgetting how they cancelled standing orders for in stock items, only to allow purchase of the same item once they RAISED their price, sometimes by 100%.   FUCK CTD Forever.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#28]
They used to not ship to me either. I found a great way to solve that problem.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fuck CTD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double fail.

Fuck CTD.

Thank you for the insight.  I was in Afghanistan when that went down, so I missed out on the price gouging I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
CTD can choke on a bag of dicks.

California still sucks, though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#31]
If CTD was $5 less than Brownells on an item I would still buy it from Brownells.

Oh, did I mention......... FUCK CTD!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you suppose anyone took them up on their $140 PMAG steals?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

There goes that dog again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thank you for the insight.  I was in Afghanistan when that went down, so I missed out on the price gouging I suppose.
View Quote

CTD has done it many times.
Every time there's a publicized shooting or any kind of potential panic.

I bought 1000rds of in stock 5.56 the day of Sandy Hook, before I even knew about the shooting.
Got my order cancelled the next day, said because it was indefinitely out of stock.
Showed back up in stock on the site 2 hours later at over double the price.

Buncha panic-mongering assholes.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#35]
This is a blessing in disguise. CTD is a horrible company. Please stop doing business with them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Hahaa.  Dunno why you can't have nice things over there, but I am sure someone out there will sell you a shiny death weapon part.

Quoted:

I mean... if you were in prison, would you rather have a really great rectum repairman, or a shakie junkie with a rusty fishhook and some twine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do giggle when people get all up in arms about laws that don't affect them lol.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Double fail.

Comes from CTD "price gouging" during times of shortage, usually attached to pending legislation or a Sandy Hook type of event.

As well as a few other things that have pissed people off....

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is a blessing in disguise. CTD is a horrible company. Please stop doing business with them.
View Quote

Obviously, I have involuntarily done zero business with them.  In light of my newfound knowledge, I won't even attempt it in the future.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't blame them for not risking frivolous lawsuits to ship to commiefornia.

Last time I shipped something there I made 3 calls to the CA DOJ and received 3 different answers.

I left a fucked up state (NJ) and you can too (unless it's your duty station)
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double fail.

Comes from CTD "price gouging" during times of shortage, usually attached to pending legislation or a Sandy Hook type of event.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/gougemasters.jpg

http://www.gunsandammo.info/wp-content/uploads/prices-ctd.jpg

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Cheaper-than-Dirt-4.jpg

As well as a few other things that have pissed people off....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LmiYmyjbGV4/UW7dqIEX_WI/AAAAAAAAADc/cLn_1T42weM/s1600/SmithMeme_CheaperThanDirt.jpg

Holy shit. .  It's a whole new ballgame once you actually see it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Find another vendor.  They are overprice during normal times and then when panic starts their supply goes down and their prices inversely proportionally go up and that pisses everyone off here.  They all get butthurt because CTD follows the simple rules of economics.  Long story short you will not get a good answer here.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.  So far, they're the only one I've come across that has a blanket policy of denial.  The only other things I've really seen is some smaller outfits hesitant to ship ammo here...
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Barret won't ship anything to California.  I.E. when the LA SWAT sent their rifle in for repair they refused to send it back or sell anything else to the state.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I do giggle when people get all up in arms about laws that don't affect them lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not up in arms over CA laws, I just think that if the whole southwest chunk of CA floated off into the ocean and formed it's own nation, the rest of CA, and the country, would be better off...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, probably thousands of orders. Thats why they can afford not to ship to California and Connecticut too-where you can't buy an AR at all unless you are an exempted class citizen or pay 10x the value for a preban.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Holy shit. .  It's a whole new ballgame once you actually see it.
View Quote

-52% savings, can't beat that!

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't blame them for not risking frivolous lawsuits to ship to commiefornia.

Last time I shipped something there I made 3 calls to the CA DOJ and received 3 different answers.

I left a fucked up state (NJ) and you can too (unless it's your duty station)
View Quote

I know it's irrelevant, but this is where my my son lives with his mom.  I left NC to come here and be a parent, so I can't leave in good conscience until he's old enough to hate me.  In the meantime, I do's what I can's to have my fun within the confines of the dumbass law.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots and lots of people did. I even know some of them... Poor suckers.

The only thing I paid them after "the panic" was my two cents on what I thought of their business practices.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Find another vendor.  They are overprice during normal times and then when panic starts their supply goes down and their prices inversely proportionally go up and that pisses everyone off here.  They all get butthurt because CTD follows the simple rules of economics.  Long story short you will not get a good answer here.
View Quote

If that's all they did, I wouldn't be butthurt.
Cancelling open orders so they can double the price and re-list it is what got me pissed off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#49]
-266% Savings!
---Banned.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cancelling open orders so they can double the price and re-list it is what got me pissed off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can definitely understand that.  Retroactively raising prices is some shady, snake in the grass bullshit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top