Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/2/2019 4:29:26 PM EDT
I served with one that was a decent solider.  The rest were deranged myopic A holes with no clear job other than making enlisted miserable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you should go find a smaj and ask him that exact question.

Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you know what kind of god damn day it is?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
He’s there to check all the dumb shit the officers come up with. You see how much gets through, imagine what it would be like without them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
They make sure nobody enters the DFAC without eye pro, a clean shave or God forbid tries to enter wearing a black fleece as an outer garment.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Somebody needs to enforce the "grooming standards".
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's there to check all the dumb shit the officers come up with. You see how much gets through, imagine what it would be like without them.
View Quote
90% of the dumb shiite on my last deployment was the direct result of the CSM interfering in things that weren't a problem.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yell
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you?  A fucking weatherman?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
To write emails at 3rd grade level. To speak like a child who never finished middle school.

To harass young soldiers because hes a combatives instructor and "is looking for a challenge".

To attend a seminar from a world recognized authority on teamwork, crew management, human relations, etc.....and then suggest hair cuts and shiny boots are the key to success during the open forum phase.

To scream at a pilot with glasses on his head in the TOC because he ran in to get some GRGs while his helo idles outside.

And my favorite, to lay on a DFAC table eyes tightly shut, jaw and fists clenched while the LTC slaps him to wake up because a mortar landed about 100 meters away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Get off muh grass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Hes there to yell at non-rates and hold the COs purse.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
To try and commandeer vehicles in a war zone when the driver doesn't have a seat belt on.  Oh wait, that's the Command Sgt. Major, nvm.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Who else is going to bust the E7s and E9s for fucking the female E1s-E3s?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I served with one that was a decent solider.  The rest were deranged myopic A holes with no clear job other than making enlisted miserable.
View Quote
You answered your own question.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty sure the PT belt bullshit was Smaj inspired
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You answered your own question.
View Quote
Its a works program for guys too retarded to start a small business, another career, manage their retirement funds,  sell their expertise as a contractor, etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
POOLEECE THAT MOOOSTASH
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
In theory, they're in charge of order and discipline of the army (small a, as in the size of unit).

That is, they're the one with the most experience, and able to instruct all the other sergeants on how to maintain the correct marching structure, spacing, and so on as it comes to rank and file movement - actually a far more difficult task under fire than it seems at first glance.

After about 1880, though?  No idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Your rang?

18Z50....doing the paperwork you so dread
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]
They are the enlisted version of the Joint Chiefs. Worthless.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#21]
To provide a job for the most functionally illiterate and mentally retarded Marines?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He’s there to check all the dumb shit the officers come up with. You see how much gets through, imagine what it would be like without them.
View Quote
In my experience that is the S-3 NCO that does that. The CSM is too busy yelling at 1SG about how his troops are all fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]
To patrol the PX area, and make sure troops just out of the field don't have the strings from their Bonnie hats hanging out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Police call master
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Keep Joe off his grass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#26]
One of mine was maybe 5' tall standing on his toes. Was literally about the size of your average 11 year old.
He would walk around with his chest thrown out and arms out to his side like he was ripped. He wasn't. He spoke, of course, in a way too deep, loud and dramatized voice. He would also buy new boots and immediately send them out to be re-soled with the highest sole possible. He looked like a 6th grade KISS fan playing Army in an overstarched uniform.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I had the same thought, OP, except it was about officers..
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#29]
To keep good order and discipline by yelling at O4s to stop wearing morale patches.

That's my experience at least.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Liaison between the enlisted and the commanding officer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The CSM is too busy yelling at 1SG about how his troops are all fucked up.
View Quote
well, are they?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#33]
To keep some shitheaded LT or CPT  from intefering with the day to day operations of the unit.  To tell the BN CSM where to put his bright ideas.

In the 18 series unit it is a SGM that runs the company not a 1SG like the rest of leg land and the mighty morphin rangers
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#34]
To demand that you call "at ease" when they walk in the room, despite all of the officers that occupy said office.

Or to take shopping trips to sites where he has soldiers, and never speak to them.

Or fly his wife into CENTCOM, berate the gate guards until they get back on a HIGHLY secured installation, then hide her in his CHU.

Or talk about how awesome he is to everyone, then demand other NCOs be humble.

Convince the CO to deny CABs and EOT awards for his soldiers because, "being in combat isn't that dangerous."

Fuck you CSM.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
To keep good order and discipline by yelling at O4s to stop wearing moral patches.

View Quote
well, thats just plain evil.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#36]
When my dad made Master Chief he said his job was basically to drink coffee all day, induce terror just by walking into a compartment, and come up with creative non-NJP punishments.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
He is the Senior Enlisted advisor to BN Commanders and above.

Many of the old get off the grass type CSMs have retired and are retiring soon. I have several CSM buddies, none of them are assholes.

If senior Enlisted members are enforcing the standard the CSM won't have to waste his time checking on barracks and soldier discipline etc.

A good CSM is giving sound advice to his Commander and coaching/mentoring his Senior NCOs.

If he has to spend all his time babysitting discipline issues/shitty NCOs then yea he may become a asshole.

Belive it or not, individual discipline within the unit plays heavily in his life, if NCOs are enforcing standards and setting the example life will be good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To keep good order and discipline by yelling at O4s to stop wearing moral patches.

Good catch
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  He’s there to check all the dumb shit the officers come up with. You see how much gets through, imagine what it would be like without them.
View Quote
And yet today, I wasted my time checking dumb shit SGT MAJ came up w/.  Go figger.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To demand that you call "at ease" when they walk in the room, despite all of the officers that occupy said office.

Or to take shopping trips to sites where he has soldiers, and never speak to them.

Or fly his wife into CENTCOM, berate the gate guards until they get back on a HIGHLY secured installation, then hide her in his CHU.

Or talk about how awesome he is to everyone, then demand other NCOs be humble.

Convince the CO to deny CABs and EOT awards for his soldiers because, "being in combat isn't that dangerous."

Fuck you CSM.
View Quote
That guy sounds like a turd.

Hell we gave some E6s Bronze Stars as EOT awards.

My question was said CSM tabbed and had a CIB? Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Otherwise you would stand there gawking like you had never seen the hand of God before....
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#42]
To make sure rocks get painted, grass doesn't get walked on, reflective belts get worn and unneeded standards are adhered to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
To write emails at 3rd grade level. To speak like a child who never finished middle school.

To harass young soldiers because hes a combatives instructor and "is looking for a challenge".

To attend a seminar from a world recognized authority on teamwork, crew management, human relations, etc.....and then suggest hair cuts and shiny boots are the key to success during the open forum phase.

To scream at a pilot with glasses on his head in the TOC because he ran in to get some GRGs while his helo idles outside.

And my favorite, to lay on a DFAC table eyes tightly shut, jaw and fists clenched while the LTC slaps him to wake up because a mortar landed about 100 meters away.
View Quote
Damn what a turd...please tell me he wasn't a Infantry CSM..
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Of the five I served with, two were practically nonentities, one I liked, one I hated, and one I'd walk through fire for.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/70716/Sgt_Major_Plumley_jpg-1181525.JPG
I never got the point if acting like that. You can be as hard as woodpecker lips and not be a dick.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Guy even had his arm around my wife

Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Many of the old get off the grass type CSMs have retired and are retiring soon. I have several CSM buddies, none of them are assholes.

If senior Enlisted members are enforcing the standard the CSM won't have to waste his time checking on barracks and soldier discipline etc.

A good CSM is giving sound advice to his Commander and coaching/mentoring his Senior NCOs.

If he has to spend all his time babysitting discipline issues/shitty NCOs then yea he may become a asshole.

Belive it or not, individual discipline within the unit plays heavily in his life, if NCOs are enforcing standards and setting the example life will be good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best thing a SGM can do is coach, mentor, and develop his NCO corps, starting with the 1SGs, while advising the BC.

The best BN SGM I ever had was doing his leadership stint outside of the Unit after having been there for a while.

His brother was 75th Ranger Regimental SGM at the time as well.  Guamanian guys.

He was the hardest-charging, most upbeat, positive mental attitude SGM I've ever seen, and made it is his mission in life to meet and mingle with everyone in the Battalion, instilling a sense of always chasing excellence.  He had a flat range built right next to BN HQ so anyone that wanted to could go shoot CQM, zero, etc.  Red Dog Range, named after our little BN mascot dog who was run over by some 88Ms from Camp Casey.

I never had another SGM like him though.  The rest of them were either riding their time out until retirement, while occasionally searching for cigarette butts in the grass.

Most of them were some of the most incompetent NCOs I ever had the displeasure of serving under in my NCO support channel.

Instead of being proactively seeking opportunities to coach, mentor, and develop, they were reactive to problems and let those problems drive their leadership posture to the entire Battalion.

Some of them were downright criminals who had found a safe space in the Army to hang out in, still managing to get multiple DUIs and loss of post driving privileges, but because of some racist policies, they were immune from the consequences any of the rest of us were subjected to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#49]
The only time we ever saw our CSM at Ft Hood was when there was an E5 or E6 board. Other than that...hell, I dunno. I think I may have seen him once in the field, though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#50]
In my day it was a job, not a rank.

Our Regimental Sergeant Major was a real prick, and I was terrified of him.

I stayed up all night once because I had CQ of a building where I had to pick up the keys from Regimental HQ in the morning and unlock the building.

The previous time I had that duty they told me the wrong day, so they hunted me down to ask me why the fuck I hadn't unlocked the building that morning.

They were a bit nonplussed when I explained.

With a record like that, I didn't want it to get fucked up again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top