BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
didn't know him personally but he contributed quite a bit and should be recognized for that

He was a great businessman and drove his employees to the point where they were afraid to "catch an elevator" with him for fear of his epic firings for disagreeing with him.  He denied paternity for years to his first daughter and was well known for anti-philanthropy contributions.

Try reading the article the article before calling me cold.

He was a great businessman.  That is not a historically notable achievement.  The man was a true innovator, not to be confused with inventor.  His work changed the lives of billions of humans.  Was he a prick?  It sounds like he was.  Lots of people are nice; you will never know their names.  

I don’t have the ability to judge his heart.  Do you?

Yes I do, he was a bad father.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Apple hate is strong in this one, hmmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bottom line on him was that $8 billion dollars couldn't save him from a miserable,drawn out and shitty death.Whatever he did or didn't do,he spent the majority of the past decade surviving rather than living.

I have no earthly idea what I could buy that would be worth $ 8 billion dollars to suffer from cancer for 8 years. I'm sure that he had plenty of time to think about things such as not manning up to fathering a child,hosing his business partner over at the first chance he got etc etc etc .By most accounts,he wasn't someone I would have wanted to befriend. He certainly didn't share my world view and so forth but much like I think Henry Ford was an asshole,there is no denying his company's success and part of America and in fact the world.

Perhaps the moral of the story is that nobody gets out alive and cancer doesn't give a fuck who you are.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah for me he made a great phone but from what I read....the guy was a borderline scumbag if you asked me.  All due respect and all but he was no saint.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/8-things-didn-t-know-life-steve-jobs-172130955.html

Who is?

The guy I'm being bombarded with and who the media is holding up as the "greatest thing since sliced bread"

BTW, how the hell is Apple the greatest company on the planet?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
YOU try paying yourself $1 a year and claim the rest of your pay as "stock dividend" for purposes of Retained Earnings (as in "fuqq social security taxes") claim it all under capital gains at the end of the year and see how long it takes for the IRS to kick down your door and shoot your dog...

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Apple hate is strong in this one, hmmmmmmm?

No, not at all, I love my IPhone and would buy another Apple product.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

didn't know him personally but he contributed quite a bit and should be recognized for that

There are a helluva lot of people who have a job thanks to him.

There's a hellava lot more people who are jobless thanks to billionaire liberals like him.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to work at a semiconductor manufacturer that produced the chips for Apples/Mcintosh.  He visited the plant one day and seemed like a real prick.  

Walked through the facility with his nose in the air, wouldn't even respond to the employess that said 'hi'.  

Meh.  Fuck 'em.

Was he late paying his bills? Did he back out of contracts with your company? Seems the company he ran was paying the company you worked for which turned into your paycheck. But hey, fuck 'em.
Sorry, capitalism only applies on Arfcom when the members want it to...............

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't really see anything that bad in there...I mean no one is a saint give me a break
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He ran a company that makes Microsoft look like open-source loving philanthropists and I've rarely heard anyone who met him say he was a decent guy. The article doesn't really show much of that (except for abandoning his child and her mother). The guy had killer PR, that's it. Sucked liberal scumbags into his cult like some kind of big scumbag sucking thing.

I haven't liked Apple since the IIe. I'm not happy he died or anything, but I'm certainly not in mourning.

ETA - full disclosure, I'm posting this from an iPad2. My opinion of this thing could best be described as "meh"

You do know that Apple is a major contributor to FreeBSD and huge portions of OSX are open source, right?  MS can't say the same.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was a great businessman and drove his employees to the point where they were afraid to "catch an elevator" with him for fear of his epic firings for disagreeing with him.  He denied paternity for years to his first daughter and was well known for anti-philanthropy contributions.

He was a great businessman.  That is not a historically notable achievement.  The man was a true innovator, not to be confused with inventor.  His work changed the lives of billions of humans.  Was he a prick?  It sounds like he was.  Lots of people are nice; you will never know their names.  

I know nothing about him as a father.  Tell me why.  I know he provided well for his family and taught them hard work can pay off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I love steve Jobs.

I love his ideas, his ability to create and his ability to MARKET.

I love every one of my many many APPLE products.

He made me a very rich man (well - I had to put some cash in too!)

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.  

for the haters - did you forget to buy?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]

he could put a apple on a dog turd and people would line up to buy it...
Say what you want but he was a great business man and marketer...
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't seen one news story yet that said he was a great father, dog whisperer, tree planter, humanitarian etc.  Everything I have seen said he was an innovator, businessman, and visionary.

Being a "good person" is how you define your success.  Well, good for you.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah for me he made a great phone but from what I read....the guy was a borderline scumbag if you asked me.  All due respect and all but he was no saint.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/8-things-didn-t-know-life-steve-jobs-172130955.html

Who is?

The guy I'm being bombarded with and who the media is holding up as the "greatest thing since sliced bread"

then turn the TV off

How is Apple the greatest at what they do?

Unless you have a sharp egotistical asshole at the helm that does not compromise 1" in seeing HIS vision for a product through to production, you end up with microsoft products.

It isn't about fair, or art, or any of that bullshit.  Even when you run the company, you have compromises to water down your vision.  No half-baked bullshit like the Zune or Windows ME.  No bowing to stockholder.  Instead he made the stockholders kiss HIS ass.    Vision resulted in product, every time.

It takes an iron will, steel balls, and an acerbic presence to achieve that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know nothing about him as a father.  Tell me why.  I know he provided well for his family and taught them hard work can pay off.

Read the article (common knowledge) and you'll know what type paternal instincts Jobs had.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the article (common knowledge) and you'll know what type paternal instincts Jobs had.

Sounds like a chip off the old block...
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is?

then turn the TV off

Unless you have a sharp egotistical asshole at the helm that does not compromise 1" in seeing HIS vision for a product through to production, you end up with microsoft products.

It isn't about fair, or art, or any of that bullshit.  Even when you run the company, you have compromises to water down your vision.  No half-baked bullshit like the Zune or Windows ME.  No bowing to stockholder.  Instead he made the stockholders kiss HIS ass.    Vision resulted in product, every time.

It takes an iron will, steel balls, and an acerbic presence to achieve that.

I haven't watched 3 minutes of TV since the 15 minutes of news I watched this morning at about 6:45.  I did however have the radio on and read the INTERNET today and was bombarded with unbridled love for Steve Jobs....the inventor???

Oh and BTW, yes I know he has patents in his name...

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
He created a lot of wealth for a lot of people. Gave many good jobs to others. I don't care if he was a lousy tipper or whatever. He was an american entrepeneur.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read the article.  Common knowledge to whom, not me?  You are making a lot of assumptions about his relationships.  Not everyone is equipped to be a great parent, starting off with bad roll models probably doesn’t help.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the things I have read Obama is a decent father............  

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is?

then turn the TV off

It takes an iron will, steel balls, and an acerbic presence to achieve that

Most people have no concept of what it takes to develop products.  Those that do have respect for his work for exactly these reasons.

Quoted:

I haven't watched 3 minutes of TV since the 15 minutes of news I watched this morning at about 6:45.  I did however have the radio on and read the INTERNET today and was bombarded with unbridled love for Steve Jobs....the inventor???

Oh and BTW, yes I know he has patents in his name...

Not the point.  I have patents in my name.  There won’t be any articles written after I’m gone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Henry Ford had some outdated views on Jews, even in his time.

We don't bother dwelling on that much today.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quite simply, he changed the world.

And what have you done, OP?

I've never destroyed a mans career and never claimed I was the second coming from Zen.

Wow, how fucking dare I discuss this

keep posting, I like the way you think

I do think the guy was one that touched our lives, each and every one of us. He helped us see pr0n on a cell phone or mp3 player.

He also helped create the stupid ass "social connection sites"and his technology has enabled the feds with "Hollywood Type" surveillance.

I would not even think he comes close to Tesla, Bell, Westinghouse, etc.(OKay, Westinghouse may be just the same).

I think Tesla effected the globe in a more positive way than ANY other inventor. Maybe not the  guy destined to the electric chair though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't care either way... Apple has contributed to technology and the future of it, so that's good with me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#27]
The man started a business from a garage and made it into a major corporation.

He lived the dream.

Edit-
iPod owner
Safari user
Former IIGS, IIE, iMac, and Alphasmart user.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know some folks that worked at Apple in the early days ( even been to a party at Wozniaks house ),  I won't talk bad about Jobs but the folks that worked at apple called Woz the "not an asshole Steve"

That jibes with what I've read about him. He may have had a flair for getting wildly successful products to market, but he apparently was a steaming turd of a person.

woz has always seemed like a cool guy.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I know some folks that worked at Apple in the early days ( even been to a party at Wozniaks house ),  I won't talk bad about Jobs but the folks that worked at apple called Woz the "not an asshole Steve"

That jibes with what I've read about him. He may have had a flair for getting wildly successful products to market, but he apparently was a steaming turd of a person.

He was very chill when I met him in the late 80's.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Woz deserved a better "friend" than Jobs, who occasionally shit on him.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#31]
So as long as a person makes a lot of money and gives the peasants some neat toys then they are a great person even though that person treats people like crap.  As long as they are successful it doesn't matter how they got there.  I view greatness the exact opposite.  Money doesn't make you great it's what you do for others that does.  For those that believe being a dick gets positive results from your subordinates try treating your kids like that and see where they end up.  Adults are just kids that cover their emotions better.  

Anyone else find it ironic that PC killed Steve Jobs.  Just sayin......
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
He was human and all that comes with it. But look at the company he ran and how profitable it is. He is also credited with all but saving the music industry with itunes. Not a saint, not far from a scumbag!

There's the deal.  Music and phones equals worship, something very unimportant mistaken for something irreplaceable.

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1. He had adopted parents....okay?

2. Dropped out of school because it was expensive and he didn't want to burden his parents....okay?

3. Point taken, although he later helped make them billionares

4. Married to the same wife 20 years and skipped a business meeting to be with her...okay?

5. His sister is a famous author....okay?

6. He dated people?!....okay?

7. Point taken, although he eventually did man up to his daughter born out of wedlock.

8. Experimented with drugs during the hippie movement?!....okay?

9. A CEO that pays himself $1 a year in salary....okay?

I really don't get your point. 7/9 either paint him in a neutral or favorable light. 1 is questionable and 1 is indeed scumbagish.

[don't own an Apple product and don't care too]  

Whats with all the "Okay's"  
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
He got off mom's porch and out of her basement. He took some risk, did some work, and made metric shit tons of money. Once he had cash, he could have walked away and lived off the grid.

Even facing death, he lived for making his corporation grow.

Politics. Fuck it.

(I never owned a mac, iphone, or imaxipad. )

I did write code on one of the first commercial Apple computers on the market.  (I am an old fuker)  

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So as long as a person makes a lot of money and gives the peasants some neat toys then they are a great person even though that person treats people like crap.  As long as they are successful it doesn't matter how they got there.  I view greatness the exact opposite.  Money doesn't make you great it's what you do for others that does.  For those that believe being a dick gets positive results from your subordinates try treating your kids like that and see where they end up.  Adults are just kids that cover their emotions better.  

Anyone else find it ironic that PC killed Steve Jobs.  Just sayin......

I don't believe anyone said that money is the measure, or that being a dick is okay.  I certainly did not.  But if that is what you take away
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
So, does this mean Steve Jobs will NOT be on Dancing With The Stars next season?
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#37]
He was king of the idiots.  Not the new Edison.

He took things that already existed and said "people are too fucking stupid to figure this out. make it easy"  and made billions.

He is not a revolutionary inventor like the fan boys claim but he was a damned  brilliant businessman.
A friend of mine that invents crap for a living once told me "Every time you hear someone say shit, fuck , damn it , motherfucker, or anything like that not in a sentence, you are likely witnessing an invention that could make you money or an improvement on an existing product that could make you money."

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to work at a semiconductor manufacturer that produced the chips for Apples/Mcintosh.  He visited the plant one day and seemed like a real prick.  

Walked through the facility with his nose in the air, wouldn't even respond to the employess that said 'hi'.  

Meh.  Fuck 'em.

Was he late paying his bills? Did he back out of contracts with your company? Seems the company he ran was paying the company you worked for which turned into your paycheck. But hey, fuck 'em.
Sorry, capitalism only applies on Arfcom when the members want it to...............

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.  Fuck 'em.

Not sure how that works.  I once had a job at a company that had an owner that was a complete asshole.  If someone asked me today what I thought of him I would tell them he's a complete asshole.  It doesn't matter that he payed me to work for him, he was still an asshole.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#40]
The dude skipped out on a business meeting, to take his wife out on a date! WHAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE!

/Sarcasm

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm surprised so many here personally knew him.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Even though I am not a Mac guy or ever will be..

Gates stole Digital Research Disk Operating System and promised to pay them for it and just changed a few lines to make it MSDOS.

Microsoft.

They both paved the way to what we have now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. He had adopted parents....okay?

2. Dropped out of school because it was expensive and he didn't want to burden his parents....okay?

3. Point taken, although he later helped make them billionares

4. Married to the same wife 20 years and skipped a business meeting to be with her...okay?

5. His sister is a famous author....okay?

6. He dated people?!....okay?

7. Point taken, although he eventually did man up to his daughter born out of wedlock.

8. Experimented with drugs during the hippie movement?!....okay?

9. A CEO that pays himself $1 a year in salary....okay?

I really don't get your point. 7/9 either paint him in a neutral or favorable light. 1 is questionable and 1 is indeed scumbagish.
[don't own an Apple product and don't care too]  

Whats with all the "Okay's"  
Okay... as in.... "Okay?... yeah... so what!?" You know like... "Why is that a bad thing"

Only one of those things made him seem like an asshole. As for the LSD thing? It never says he did drugs. Just said that Bill Gates is too uptight and narrow, and could benefit from a little recreational drug use. People here on ARFCom have said the SAME DAMN THING about Dave_A.

The only thing that made him the asshole, was POTENTIALLY the money he paid to his helper. But remember. He was just his helper. Was it all Jobs' idea of how to miniaturize the Atari game? Was it mostly his ideas they worked on? If so... I can't blame him too much for taking the bonus for it. He still paid his helper HALF of the originally agreed upon rate. He just kept the bonus.

Now... if it was a completely joint venture, and his ideas and the ideas of his partner were both equally responsible for getting that $5,000 bonus... then yes, that would be highly asshole-ish. But again, as a previous poster said... he made that guy a billionaire... so there really is little to complain about.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.  Fuck 'em.

In defense of the poster... He wasn't complaining about capitalism. He was complaining that Steve Jobs was snooty. He didn't say ANYTHING about having a problem with the fact that he was rich.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just wait until Soros finally kicks the bucket - same fanboys will be singing his praises too!

Yes, probably his biggest fans... all the demons in hell!
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 2:59:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I never really saw the hype.

Sure he was a CEO of a big company, but if the CEO of Conoco Phillips were to kick the bucket tomorrow I'd probably say RIP then get on with the day. Maybe its because I never owned an Apple product, so I guess he never changed my world.

Now Gates, he changed the world.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I just don't get the "He changed the world." crowd. I mean, I like Apple products and all, but how the fuck do you get that he changed the world?

Also, I'm sure dirt could be dug up on just about anyone to make them seem douchey.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And he attempted to make up for that.
Did he fuck up and let his daughter down? He sure did.
Was it a prick move? It sure was.
Was he a difficult boss/employer? From what I've read, it depends on whether or not he fired you.
Did he make things better for humanity? Depends on your point of view. I think he did.

He made many mistakes in his personal life. Who hasn't? Denying paternity is pretty low, and lying about it is pretty low, but he did attempt to rectify that to some degree. IMO. it beats being a father who beats or hates your kid because because you hate the situation you are in.

Do I idolize him? No. But I recognize his contributions, which were a LOT more than myself, or 99.9% of the population.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
YOU try paying yourself $1 a year and claim the rest of your pay as "stock dividend" for purposes of Retained Earnings (as in "fuqq social security taxes") claim it all under capital gains at the end of the year and see how long it takes for the IRS to kick down your door and shoot your dog...

Hasn't happened to the other people listed in that article, and I bet there are MANY more business owners/CEO's and what not that do that to avoid taxes.

Look at Kerry and his stupid wife.. paying a measly 15% adjusted due to corporate and personal 'loopholes'.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a helluva lot of people who have a job thanks to him.

There's a hellava lot more people who are jobless thanks to billionaire liberals like him.

Really? How so? Did the market not decide that the people who were cut needed to be cut?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top