Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Many times the last season of long-running television shows is phoned in. In this case, it wasn't. The final season of Magnum, PI was actually pretty good, with a few of the best episodes of the entire series and the finale was one of the better finales I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chris0013:

Looked ahead on the guide...it is on next monday on hallmark movies and mysteries.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris0013:
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
"Did you see the sunrise this morning?"

Best episode of a fantastic series.

Looked ahead on the guide...it is on next monday on hallmark movies and mysteries.

Last episode of the night.

Thinking about it, it was the twilight of the Cold War when the episode aired. The Soviets were the bad guys life and media. Magnum greased Ivan. Just smoked him where he stood.

Nowadays Tom Cruise can’t even wear the Taiwanese flag on his jacket in Top Gun 2 for fear of offending China. Fucked up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Knock yourselves out guys

Forum dedicated to magnum chat,

Some good info on here.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=8cd15526ac411b34243e4a76fd8c8bc5

I didn’t remember the sunrise scene I remember to when they went to Vietnam again and got captured. Also Remember Higgins getting all ninja in a jungle somewhere swinging in vines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
The more episodes I watch the more I am impressed with the helicopter pilots on the show , some of the stuff they do looks pretty sketchy
View Quote

I know there is one scene where it is clearly Roger Mosley landing the chopper.  However I think that was pretty rare.  Half way through season two and I haven’t seen him flying
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FOGeologist:
Hey, this was a great thread.

Thank you guys. That was one of my favorite shows when I was in high school.
View Quote

And the military guys posting up is cool too!

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw the rerun episode where he shot Ivan aired last night too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know there is one scene where it is clearly Roger Mosley landing the chopper.  However I think that was pretty rare.  Half way through season two and I haven't seen him flying
View Quote

From wiki:

"... Mosley is a licensed private helicopter pilot in real life, but when on the set of Magnum P.I. he was not allowed to do his own stunts; a pilot wearing a body stocking with false muscles would be used instead.[4] In 2013 at the HAI Heli-Expo in Las Vegas, a ceremony for the restored MD 500D helicopter was held. Both Mosley and fellow Magnum P.I. co-star Larry Manetti autographed the nose of the helicopter..."
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#8]
You think that's bad, you should hear what the first couple seasons of Bonanza had going for them. A drunk, humming Ave Maria into an empty beer can would have been ten times better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ztug:

He was a Lieutenant, I'm not sure when he became a commander. And skipping Lieutenant Commander?

"Magnum attended the United States Naval Academy, Class of '67 or '68, depending on the episode referenced.
He served ten or more years as an officer in the United States Navy, rising to the rank of Lieutenant before resigning from the service in disillusionment in 1979. Magnum was a Vietnam War veteran and a former POW "  He served in both the SEALs and Naval Intelligence during his Navy years, By the final episode of Magnum P.I. in 1988, Thomas had decided to return to active duty in the Navy at the rank of Commander (O-5).
On his Navy uniform, Magnum wore service ribbons for the Navy Cross, Purple Heart, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross, and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal." 
https://magnum-mania.com/images/opening_credits_navy_whites_full.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ztug:
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

https://magnum-mania.com/images/8_13_m_full.jpg

That guy was an commander?! 

I wouldn’t have thunk it.

He was a Lieutenant, I'm not sure when he became a commander. And skipping Lieutenant Commander?

"Magnum attended the United States Naval Academy, Class of '67 or '68, depending on the episode referenced.
He served ten or more years as an officer in the United States Navy, rising to the rank of Lieutenant before resigning from the service in disillusionment in 1979. Magnum was a Vietnam War veteran and a former POW "  He served in both the SEALs and Naval Intelligence during his Navy years, By the final episode of Magnum P.I. in 1988, Thomas had decided to return to active duty in the Navy at the rank of Commander (O-5).
On his Navy uniform, Magnum wore service ribbons for the Navy Cross, Purple Heart, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross, and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal." 
https://magnum-mania.com/images/opening_credits_navy_whites_full.jpg

I think it was when Michele first came back.  Buck tried to get him out of the way by getting him re-instated in the Navy to testify before Congress in D.C. and with the recall he was promoted.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The Avengers Series 5 Opening Titles and Closing Credits
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I truely believe Magnum PI brought the wearing of baseball hats into the mainstream.

Regarding his mustache,  the wife and I were watching the original Midway last night and I told her Selick was in it without the stash. if you watch that part...you can see where he got the mustache from...his commander was wearing it...after midway I bet he said...yeah...that the mustache for me..

Magnum was one of the best shows ever on TV, at least in the 80s.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Bellisario on Did You See The Sunrise.

Donald Bellisario discusses the "Did You See the Sunrise?" ("Magnum, P.I.") - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

From wiki:

"... Mosley is a licensed private helicopter pilot in real life, but when on the set of Magnum P.I. he was not allowed to do his own stunts; a pilot wearing a body stocking with false muscles would be used instead.[4] In 2013 at the HAI Heli-Expo in Las Vegas, a ceremony for the restored MD 500D helicopter was held. Both Mosley and fellow Magnum P.I. co-star Larry Manetti autographed the nose of the helicopter..."
View Quote

Yeah, I don’t believe he flew stunts, but I clearly remember a scene when he landed the chopper.  I could be wrong, but I’ll continue to look for it!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Episode 10 the new song played in a chase scene then episode 11 it’s the new into song
View Quote

Episode 8 had the new intro playing in the closing credits.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
The more episodes I watch the more I am impressed with the helicopter pilots on the show , some of the stuff they do looks pretty sketchy
View Quote

You gotta remember, it was 10-15 years after Vietnam; a lot of surplused helo pilots were on the market (for lack of a better phrase). It nearly parallels current day; there's a ton of Army-trained helo pilots out there either without a war to fight anymore, or who retired in the middle of one to make more money in the private sector. Some go LEO, some go LifeFlight, some go entertainment, some go agriculture. Finding an accomplished pilot to do some stuff for a TV show probably isn't very hard, especially when you're only asking them to do stuff they would have done under fire before, but now they can do it for fun
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

You gotta remember, it was 10-15 years after Vietnam; a lot of surplused helo pilots were on the market (for lack of a better phrase). It nearly parallels current day; there's a ton of Army-trained helo pilots out there either without a war to fight anymore, or who retired in the middle of one to make more money in the private sector. Some go LEO, some go LifeFlight, some go entertainment, some go agriculture. Finding an accomplished pilot to do some stuff for a TV show probably isn't very hard, especially when you're only asking them to do stuff they would have done under fire before, but now they can do it for fun 
View Quote

Just the regular run-of-the-mill tour guides out in Hawaii are pretty good. Flying alongside the cliffs by the waterfalls and all that turning around in canyons and flying over the  volcano.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#18]
The 2018 Magnum show is being renewed for another season https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/05/09/cbs-renews-reboot-magnum-pi-third-season/
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Started watching the original starting at season 1 been so long almost feels like watching a new show
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm surprised how many lines of dialog or scenes I can anticipate right before they happen, despite it literally being decades since I've seen nearly all of the episodes.

Some of the non-PC dialog is surprising too. At the end of one episode, Higgins gives a monologue where he talks about somebody believing Privates turn homo during their Corporal years, then go straight again when they hit Sergeant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I forgot how often Magnum broke the 4th wall in the original series

Like blatantly, too; its it's hysterical
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That wasn't their original theme song. Here is the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZa5rrC9ag
View Quote
That needs to be posted in the cowbell thread, lol.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don’t believe he flew stunts, but I clearly remember a scene when he landed the chopper.  I could be wrong, but I’ll continue to look for it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

From wiki:

"... Mosley is a licensed private helicopter pilot in real life, but when on the set of Magnum P.I. he was not allowed to do his own stunts; a pilot wearing a body stocking with false muscles would be used instead.[4] In 2013 at the HAI Heli-Expo in Las Vegas, a ceremony for the restored MD 500D helicopter was held. Both Mosley and fellow Magnum P.I. co-star Larry Manetti autographed the nose of the helicopter..."

I could swear there is an episode with Mosely with a control stick in his hand as the helo lands, but if you look REALLY close you see he's actually in the back of the 500 with a dummy cyclic, they're just zoomed in real tight so its hard to tell.  Maybe I'm misremembering it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pulp Fiction does that for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time I watch Magnum I have to suppress the urge to buy a 1911.

Pulp Fiction does that for me
Well then fuckin do it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Higgins,   SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Best TV opening theme music.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I read somewhere that Mangum kills 16 people over the course of the series, including three in cold blood.

Without spoiling it, I watched one of the cold blood ones last night.... good shoot

It’s interesting how he never has a gun unless he’s using it.  Seems like a good carry plan.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Watched every episode on Netflix a few years ago, definitely one of my all time favorites, and it has great staying power.  It came out before I was born but I definitely appreciate it, and funny enough a lot of Oahu hasn’t changed much at all from the time of filming, lots of those buildings and hotels are still there and still look the same
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I always listen to that when I play helicopter sims or Elite Dangerous when bounty hunting.  Am I wrong?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Airwolf theme was the business!

https://youtu.be/SfyhL-pFFMw

I always listen to that when I play helicopter sims or Elite Dangerous when bounty hunting.  Am I wrong?  

I will have to try that when I take my bounty-hunting Anaconda out there!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#31]
where can you watch it these days? it's been pulled off most of the streaming services hasn't it? the show was before my time but I still love it. I grew up not far from the mansion and we actually swam in the tidal pool as kids.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#32]
One of the Hallmark channels has a few episodes everyday starting at 3pm. Hallmark movie mystery's is have a Magnum marathon right now, do not know what time it ends. Been watching it at work all night,
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#33]
The first one sounded like something out of Quinn Martin productions lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
where can you watch it these days? it's been pulled off most of the streaming services hasn't it? the show was before my time but I still love it. I grew up not far from the mansion and we actually swam in the tidal pool as kids.
View Quote

Dailymotion a Youtube competitor has season 1-3
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amazon Prime
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that Mangum kills 16 people over the course of the series, including three in cold blood.

Without spoiling it, I watched one of the cold blood ones last night.... good shoot

It’s interesting how he never has a gun unless he’s using it.  Seems like a good carry plan.
View Quote

I'm partway through season two on Prime and he's killed 5 or 6 already if you count no name characters.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Watched every episode on Netflix a few years ago, definitely one of my all time favorites, and it has great staying power.  It came out before I was born but I definitely appreciate it, and funny enough a lot of Oahu hasn’t changed much at all from the time of filming, lots of those buildings and hotels are still there and still look the same
View Quote

For grins and giggles I looked on Google Earth and found the house used in S2 Ep. 28.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#38]
It's been some years, so I may not have this
exactly correct, but here is I what I know/recall
about the 1911 used for the series.

It was developed & built by Ray Herriott from
Kalispell MT. He developed a barrel with a
tuned orifice that allowed proper cycling with
muzzle flash from blanks that he also developed
using crimped .308 cases. He told me it would
chamber from the mag, discharge & cycle just
like a fully functional 1911. I almost got to speak
to Tom about it a few years ago, but I did not
get to meet him. It's my understanding that Ray
asked for 1911 back when the series ended, but
the request was denied.

I met Ray around 1991 when I found his drop in
comp'd 1911 barrel kits in a magazine when I
first got started in IPSC back on the day. He sold
them under the company name of Centaur Systems.

He was a very classy guy while I was dealing with
him.

I don't remember him mentioning that 1911 using
9mm mags, but I did catch that in the vid.

Quoted:

It’s well known that it’s a 9mm pretending to be a .45.

The .45 blanks wouldn’t run a GI model, but the 9mm would. So they used that instead, but yet said it was like what he carried in the Navy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Charge! The over the air channel has been showing it most evenings if you have that in your area .
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Charge! The over the air channel has been showing it most evenings if you have that in your area .
View Quote

Yeap, you can catch Knight Rider and Chips too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dailymotion a Youtube competitor has season 1-3
View Quote

You have to search with S01e01 though because Magnum alone won’t show the videos
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I watched the first few seasons years ago.  Borrowed them from the local library.  You might check there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's on Amazon right now, just started rewatching myself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

the request was denied.

him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the request was denied.

him.

Quoted:

It’s well known that it’s a 9mm pretending to be a .45.

The .45 blanks wouldn’t run a GI model, but the 9mm would. So they used that instead, but yet said it was like what he carried in the Navy.

Never heard about the blanks made from .308 cases, I always thought it was just a 9MM version. I know in the Limbo episode he pulls the mag to see how much ammo he has left and there are 9MM rounds in it(theatrical dummies of course, but 9MM).
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along with non attorney spokespersons telling you may be entitled to substantial compensation , treatments for your tardive dyskinesia , and William Shatner stressing the importance of cleaning your CPAP .
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Never heard about the blanks made from .308 cases, I always thought it was just a 9MM version. I know in the Limbo episode he pulls the mag to see how much ammo he has left and there are 9MM rounds in it(theatrical dummies of course, but 9MM).
View Quote

So... was a .45 slide used, since it has the breechface and extractor location needed for a .308's rim? Or did they rebate the .308's rim to mate up with a 9mm breechface and extractor?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody ever notice the bare boobies showcased in the series finale of the show? They didn't even try to hide them. Shocking that over-the-air television show in prime-time actually showed bare breasts a couple times in the bachelor party scene.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anybody ever notice the bare boobies showcased in the series finale of the show? They didn't even try to hide them. Shocking that over-the-air television show in prime-time actually showed bare breasts a couple times in the bachelor party scene.
View Quote

Prove it

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Prove it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prove it

Rick had his bachelor party in a strip joint. The girls were stripping. Bare boobs on TV.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top