Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/2/2022 4:48:49 PM EDT
We recently found out we are expecting twins, and we already have 2 boys, so we need a family vehicle with room for more than 5 people now!

Looking for something fairly fuel efficient, this will replace our beater 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. I've got plenty of pickups if I need something to tow with, just need efficient daily driver family transportation.

I have never even considered a minivan in my life. From what I can tell a Toyota Sienna seems to be "the best" but for value in my local market at least a Dodge Grand Caravan is about half price of the Toyotas for same age and miles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
get a full-size SUV
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Siennas are great vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I found ourselves in the same spot. Due in mid August.

We'll be going with an Expedition or Explorer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you can afford after the vasectomy.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get a full-size SUV
View Quote

Would love to just get a Suburban but between purchase cost and fuel mileage it doesn't make sense for us to haul kids around in.

I've got crew cab pickups around if we need something bigger to drive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Woohoo congrats!! Had a Chrysler Pacifica for a couple of years was good in all departments except snow. From my past research Toyota Sienna seems to get best overall reviews. I vote for captains chairs if you can get them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife had a Honda Odyssey with our 4 little ones.

Great Vehicle & lasted well north of 200K miles with just basic service.

Plus it actually didn't drive like a mini-van.  I didn't mind driving it.

Plenty of room for 6 + bags in it.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Those were what I looked at first until I started seeing lots of talk of transmissions going out and trouble that's definitely not the norm for Honda's reputation. Still open to them though
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
My little mazda 5 was decent. Actually sat 6 even though it was small. Got 38mph at 80 to 90 mph all the way out to yellowstone.

Prob be too small for you in a few years with 2 kids constantly using the rear seats.

congrats.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t do it.  Resist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those were what I looked at first until I started seeing lots of talk of transmissions going out and trouble that's definitely not the norm for Honda's reputation. Still open to them though
View Quote

Honda transmissions have gotten less durable over the years. Not really an issue if the owner has kept up with maintenance but if they're neglected they fail pretty quick.

I vote Sienna. They're expensive for a reason.

My buddy's Sienna fits more wood/building materials than my Tacoma.

Edit: regarding the honda transmissions, that was a while ago (2000's to early 2010's)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

That was on the early 2000s models. Nothing to report of in the last 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything made by Toyota or Honda is your best bet.  Stay way far away from anything Chrysler.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
We're still beating our 2005  Sienna slowly to death.

It's been a good vehicle, too many fancy options to break though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Kia has a new minivan out called the Carnival. If you are considering new anyway
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
We have a Kia Sedona and really like it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Ford Flex.
Look for a Limited with the 3.5EB and AWD.
3rd row, lots of torque, and better handling than a minivan.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
If you need cheap, first gen Sienna is probably the most bulletproof of them all.  It's a camry with a bigger body.  Doesn't have a couple of the niceties of newer generations (esp. fold flat back seats).  I've had all 3 gens of Sienna, all fantastic cars.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Sienna is the only minivan I'd consider used.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Just go ahead and get a transit van. We have twin toddlers and a caravan is already pushing it for us.  Remember it’s not just the kids, but all their shit.
Stroller, diaper bag, a cooler, baseball bats, toys. Hockey sticks, etc.
And they will have friends that want to come along too.

Airport bus. Get ya self one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for Kia Sedona.  I’ve only had mine for 1.5 years but it has been great so far.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Honda Odyssey. Avoid the blue cars, they peel. If you only have the twins, you and wife, then you can get buy with a smaller wagon. If this is your 2nd twin set or 3rd just get a Suburban or Expedition.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Toyota or Honda.

Don't let anyone talk you into a SUV.  A van is more practical and easier with young kids and older adults as well.  

If our Odyssey didn't get smoked in an accident we'd still be driving it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Honda Pilot is another option.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#27]
2001-2006 Chevrolet Suburban.

Anything else is waste of time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Toyota or Honda.

Don't let anyone talk you into a SUV.  A van is more practical and easier with young kids and older adults as well.  

View Quote

4 kids here

We rented a mini-van in Florida one time...Sienna I think...

Fucking thing sucked.  Got stuck in a wet grass field.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Toyota or Honda.

View Quote

You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct, but I still don't think I could do it.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota or Honda.

Lower to the ground and it's hard to beat the sliding van doors for kids.

I'd still get the SUV but that's my own problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't want lower to the ground.  Lower to the ground = stuck.  My kids climb up into the suburban no problem.  Honestly, it's the pefect height for kids that can't walk because the car seats are at the height where I don't have to bend over into the vehicle to buckle them in.  

My aunt that can't barely walk gets in just fine.  It's really NOT that tall.  Able bodied people just get in...don't need running boards.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Minivans are great for families in your situation.

Toyota, Honda or Pacifica. Much better than a SUV imo.

If buying used, try to have it checked out if you have a reputable shop.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Love our Dodge Caravans.

Yes Dodge sucks, but ours have been excellent.

25mpg at 78mph.

I'm driving my wife's 2015 rs. Comfy, roomy. She got a new palisade now that the kids are older.

No homo...  but I love my van.

I wish it was AWD
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Toyota Sienna AWD if possible.

Enter the minivan master race
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#35]
First...CONGRATS!

Full size chevy express with doors on both sides. You can thank me later.

Seriously, it is the most versatile vehicle you will own for the type of family you are going to have. We traded an almost new Chrysler Town+Country for our Chevy after we added twins to our other two kids. Our Chevy had a 'light' conversion with a fold down back seat and 4 captains chairs up front. Bought it in '04 and it's still going with >320k on it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't want lower to the ground.  Lower to the ground = stuck.  My kids climb up into the suburban no problem.  Honestly, it's the pefect height for kids that can't walk because the car seats are at the height where I don't have to bend over into the vehicle to buckle them in.  

My aunt that can't barely walk gets in just fine.  It's really NOT that tall.  Able bodied people just get in...don't need running boards.
View Quote

Some of you may have missed where I said I have multiple 4x4 pickups when needed. We're wanting to replace our Pontiac Grand Prix with a Minivan, it's not gonna change our capabilities much besides interior room
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

This. Our first got rear ended and totaled, got another one without hesitation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Toyota Sienna is what you seek.
Do not buy a Dodge Caravan… our transmission went out at 65,000 miles, and my wife babies cars.
Sienna has been solid… nearing 100k miles, and my brothers 2009 has like 130k and going strong
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Caprice classic wagon
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Minivans are great for families in your situation.

Toyota, Honda or Pacifica. Much better than a SUV imo.

If buying used, try to have it checked out if you have a reputable shop.
View Quote

I am my reputable shop
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
First...CONGRATS!

Full size chevy express with doors on both sides. You can thank me later.

Seriously, it is the most versatile vehicle you will own for the type of family you are going to have. We traded an almost new Chrysler Town+Country for our Chevy after we added twins to our other two kids. Our Chevy had a 'light' conversion with a fold down back seat and 4 captains chairs up front. Bought it in '04 and it's still going with >320k on it.
View Quote

Something like this. We have a Nissan NV3500 it’s great and very practical for hauling kids and lots of other stuff on long trips, I can take it to Home Depot and load it full of stuff too. You can put a new washing machine, 4 kids, and a couple dozen 10’ 2x4s in it. Does not meet your ‘good gas mileage’ criteria though.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Something like this. We have a Nissan NV3500 it's great and very practical for hauling kids and lots of other stuff on long trips, I can take it to Home Depot and load it full of stuff too. You can put a new washing machine, 4 kids, and a couple dozen 10' 2x4s in it. Does not meet your 'good gas mileage' criteria though.

View Quote

We're driving a minimum of 25 miles each way for groceries, school, church, doctor, anything really. So yeah I'm trying to stay on the more efficient side. The one downside to our farming life, but so worth it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#43]
We have an 2012 AWD Sienna.  We've been happy with it.  The only issue with the AWD Sienna's is the lack of spare tire and the run-flat tires.  We ditched the run-flats when they needed replacing at 16K.  I bought a spare tire from Tire Rack and wedge in in the back to keep it from rolling around. Now I just put regular tires on it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#44]
2020 Ford Transit AWD Exoboost
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I would be pretty excited about that.  Your wife is cool with you guys introducing a set of twins to the relationship?  That's pretty sweet.  Is the minivan just so you guys can all get around on date nights and stuff?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Drove our Odyssey to about $250k and now have a Sienna. The Honda drove a bit more sporty (acceleration, steering, suspension) but both are great. Both are also outrageously priced right now. I kept hearing good things about the Kia’s while I was shopping. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That was on the early 2000s models. Nothing to report of in the last 10 years or so.
View Quote

This is true.  Our 2012 was great and our 2019 is fantastic.  Both were Touring models. I plan to drive ours for at least another 5-7 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Minivans are better for small kids.  Low step height, easy to reach into for the car-seats etc.  The slider doors are super functional as well.

I know GD is so ultra-masculine that they must insist on a mega SUV, but minivans are great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't do it.  Resist.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivans are the most convenient for loading and unloading kids. No contest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top