BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Minivans are the most convenient for loading and unloading kids. No contest.
View Quote

Side Slide Doors make a huge difference getting kids & people in while parked or in garage.

Easy to step in floor height, and MORE room between rows of seats for getting everyone in their place.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Suggest new Honda or Toyota.
Possibly a 4Runner that would be my pick but whatever you go with best have mileage you can live with at $6. per gallon gas. I suggest new because having one vehicle that everyone can get in is a need that won’t go away. When I had wife and 4 kids caprice station wagon w 3 rd row. Lots of cars set up for 5 but with 6 it’s Tahoe vs Explorer neither ideal on fuel. Had a Mitsubishi van hated it don’t like vans. 4 dr trucks bench front will work, my Chev Silverado 4x4  4dr V6 gets about 19 mpg but tow something and it’s 10 -12

FJB
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Minivans are legit. Don't let the mouth breathers talk you out of em. I don't have kids and my next vehicle will probably be a minivan.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Possibly a 4Runner that would be my pick but whatever you go with best have mileage you can live with at $6. per gallon gas. I suggest new because having one vehicle that everyone can get in is a need that won't go away. When I had wife and 4 kids caprice station wagon w 3 rd row. Lots of cars set up for 5 but with 6 it's Tahoe vs Explorer neither ideal on fuel. Had a Mitsubishi van hated it don't like vans. 4 dr trucks bench front will work, my Chev Silverado 4x4  4dr V6 gets about 19 mpg but tow something and it's 10 -12

FJB
View Quote

Already have pickups covered. Definitely looking for more fuel economy with this vehicle. The 4 runners would be sweet but not really the responsible choice.

New isn't happening either. I don't want to have a loan but also not paying new price outright either. Looking to stay around or under $10,000-$15,000 range hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
We've been happy with our Chrysler Pacifica. As others mentioned they're not great in snow. If your expecting snow take the truck.  That's what we do, but the minivan is way more convenient and comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, I’ve got 4 kids too.

I did the minivan thing, got rid of it and now have a Suburban.

It all depends on what your circumstances are.  

City dad, typically goes on trips that involve hotel stays or lots of “soft” luggage that can be stacked vertically.  Maybe hauls some of the soccer or hockey team?  100% of time will be spent on gravel or paved roads?

Minivan

Take more camping style trips? Ride dirt bikes or participate in other outdoor sports?  Maybe a bit off road or need 4x4 for deep snow or a muddy field driveway?  

Suburban

Personally, I’ll never buy another minivan.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Already have pickups covered. Definitely looking for more fuel economy with this vehicle. The 4 runners would be sweet but not really the responsible choice.

New isn't happening either. I don't want to have a loan but also not paying new price outright either. Looking to stay around or under $10,000-$15,000 range hopefully.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possibly a 4Runner that would be my pick but whatever you go with best have mileage you can live with at $6. per gallon gas. I suggest new because having one vehicle that everyone can get in is a need that won't go away. When I had wife and 4 kids caprice station wagon w 3 rd row. Lots of cars set up for 5 but with 6 it's Tahoe vs Explorer neither ideal on fuel. Had a Mitsubishi van hated it don't like vans. 4 dr trucks bench front will work, my Chev Silverado 4x4  4dr V6 gets about 19 mpg but tow something and it's 10 -12

FJB

In the current market, you're looking at double that for a Sienna or Odyssey unless it's ten years old with about 200k miles on the clock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honda odyssey in your price range will either need engine mounts or just had them done.

Otherwise they are fairly sturdy 200k vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Chrysler Pacifica.

Stow-n-go FTMFW.

You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, minivan #1 was a Ford Windstar. Worked fine until somebody totaled it.

#2 is a Grand Caravan. Best feature is the “stow and go” seats.

Toyota and Honda equivalent in terms of model year and mileage were twice as much.

This was before the pandemic, so I don’t know what prices are now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
We've had fairly good luck with our 14' Caravan. It's had a minor couple issues but for what we paid for it, well worth it. I think we'd look for a Pacifica next
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
used 200 series land cruiser.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Honda Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Already been said but get a Sienna. Research and get one of the years without a timing belt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Siennas are great vehicles.
View Quote

This. My 3 are getting fairly grown but we had an expedition for the early years and it was fine.

The van is better in many ways but the larger suv isn’t bad!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
(Snip) Stay way far away from anything Chrysler.
View Quote

100% Disagree!!

We have a boatload of Caravans and Pacificas at work and they are rock solid reliable in spite of being abused. Only problem I’ve seen in 10 years of them is one had an issue with the passenger side air only blowing hot. Dealership flashed the computer and it was fine ever after.

I’m considering buying one of our turn-ins for myself now that I have a kid and we’re shooting for another.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. Both great vehicles in AWD.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
You can get two lightly used Dodge Grand Caravans for the price of one new Toyota Sienna.  Look for the lowest mileage you can get with the Dodge as they don't last nearly as long.   Well maintained they will go for 150k miles before major repairs are needed (usually).  Consider it a disposable vehicle.

They do eat up brakes pretty fast and you MUST change the oil every 5k or sooner.  The V6 engine has tons of power and the fact that all the seats fold flat into the floor is awesome.   The spare tire location is retarded and a pain in the ass to access.  It's tucked underneath - below the center console - and has to be lowered down.   It's really dumb design but I guess it's the best they could come up with and still maintain the flat floor.

The dodge is a pretty good choice for the value oriented consumer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

100% Disagree!!

We have a boatload of Caravans and Pacificas at work and they are rock solid reliable in spite of being abused. Only problem I’ve seen in 10 years of them is one had an issue with the passenger side air only blowing hot. Dealership flashed the computer and it was fine ever after.

I’m considering buying one of our turn-ins for myself now that I have a kid and we’re shooting for another.
View Quote

By all means like what you wish to like.  With that said, no way a chrylers product will last as long as a Toyota or Honda.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

By all means like what you wish to like.  With that said, no way a chrylers product will last as long as a Toyota or Honda.
View Quote

Biggest piece of shit I ever owned was a Caravan.  There were monthly problems.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats OP!
We have five kids, and early on we had mini vans, but around three to four kids you really outgrow them.
The kids will fit, but there’s no room for all the other stuff.
Twins means double strollers, bigger baby bag, etc…
Not sure how old your other two are, but in reality you’ll only be able to haul the kids and their stuff. Forget about getting groceries, etc…

And trips? Fuggedaboudit. No room for luggage.
We moved up to Suburbans, and were much happier.

The mileage isn’t much better in the minivans. Smaller engines working harder.
An older ‘burb can be pretty affordable, and if you need to do anything you’ll know how to do it.

They’re also much safer than minivans. You’re in OK, so I imagine you get ice and snow pretty regular.
A 4WD ‘burb is peace of mind for the family when it’s crappy out.
Just my two cents. You’ve got a lot on your mind, and it’s an exciting time! I hope you find something affordable that fits your needs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
The WifeMobile is a Transit Connect. Three row seating, but not huge, it's a good compromise vehicle and reasonably priced.
If I could have talked her into a full size van I would have. We've rented a Sprinter and a few full size Transits for week plus family road trips and they are awesome for that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Tahoe
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#26]
2012 Odyssey EXL owner here.

So far normal maintenance with the following caveats:

The VCM system/ECO mode leads to early piston ring failure.   (Under warranty if your mileage isn't too high)

The VCM system implementation led to the use of "active" engine mounts. These will fail as previously mentioned, and will run you about $800 just in parts

Both of your cats will go bad before you hit 200k. ($400 each)

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The mileage isn’t much better in the minivans. Smaller engines working harder.

View Quote

I found this to be true as well.

Minivan loaded with kids and daily shit, mixed city/highway?  About 18 mpg (17.8).

Suburban with the same shit and parameters?  About 16 mpg (15.7).
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Plus it actually didn't drive like a mini-van.
View Quote
I have an 18. Fun to toss it into corners. If I dont get rid of it, I may take it to a track day to see exactly how much it can do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Listing from best to worst
Honda Odyssey then Sienna, then KIA, then 2 wheeled wagon cart pulled by a donkey, then Chrysler minivan
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Exact same thing happened to us several years ago. Had 2 boys and thought we were done but surprise had boy and girl twins. We ended up getting an Expedition and have been happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Toyota Sienna is a Swiss tool of family transportation.  I wish I still had mine.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Mormon, Mexican, Muslim, Minivan thread?

Funny how the basic 4-door family car was more than sufficient when I was growing up to haul the entire family and dog on road trips.  My grandparents had 2-door family cars to keep the kids in the rear seat and it worked fine traveling across the entire country.  Now people need a CDL rig to drive a few miles to Jr. Tae Kwon Do and sports ball practice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#33]
ALL vehicles have their weak points/idiosyncrasies but the Honda Odyssey is still the king of minivans.

If buying used, the 2007's and up got the 4-shaft Ridgeline transmission which helped a lot with longevity.
Having a transmission oil cooler also helps, but there is of course no substitute for scheduled fluid changes.
The VCM (cylinder deactivation) piston ring wear and motor mount problems are only on the EX-L/Touring/Elite models, so if shopping Odysseys stick to the EX trim level to avoid those potential issues.

Happy minivan shopping, they are great!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Sienna. Bought ours when we expected our second. The second ended up being third as well. Awesome ride. But there are drawbacks to it:
1) eats up tires. I think we average 25K on Michelins.
2) brakes are undersized (IMO) so they go kinda fast too.
3) they don’t come like this without spending lots of money:
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Minivans are great for hauling people.

SUVs are better for hauling things.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Blaming a minivans’ getting stuck on the grass because it has some $29 BigDongChow tires on it from Dollar General

Dad of 4, and twins. F150 crew cab and 2014 Odyssey. Odyssey is better at kid hauling and running errands ALL DAY.

Can a four year old open the door on an F150? And then hold it from smacking the BMW parked a little too close when a gust of wind catches it?

Remote. Power. Sliding. Doors. Game changer.

Raining? Arms full? Hit remote button, doors slide back, lots of room to get it with car seats and groceries and big bulky crap.

Men don’t worry about stupid shit like people judging them for what they drive. They use the most appropriate tool for the job. Minivans were made to haul families, job one. Every other vehicle has been adapted and does a worse job of hauling kids. Get a full size SUV in 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
2012 Odyssey EXL owner here.

So far normal maintenance with the following caveats:

The VCM system/ECO mode leads to early piston ring failure.   (Under warranty if your mileage isn't too high)

The VCM system implementation led to the use of "active" engine mounts. These will fail as previously mentioned, and will run you about $800 just in parts

Both of your cats will go bad before you hit 200k. ($400 each)

View Quote

My 2012 town & country has had one problem, under warranty, rear AC.

160k, pentastar running great, oil looks new. Wife gets 22 on the city commute, I get 25 or so highway, with my foot in it

Stow and go with plenty of room for 2 kids. I love it

My wife, knowing the kids are growing up, loves driving it.

Half the price of the expensive import repair machine? No brainer
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Chrysler Pacifica.

Stow-n-go FTMFW.

You won't be sorry.
View Quote

Stow-N-Go is a No-Go with kids in car seats. Great if you’re hauling kids not in Latched-in seats, or big cargo. Completely pointless if you’re carrying babies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#39]
It’s a vagina not a clown car.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Our 2016 dodge caravan has been good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Listing from best to worst
Honda Odyssey then Sienna, then KIA, then 2 wheeled wagon cart pulled by a donkey, then Chrysler minivan
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I tell my wife all the time how happy I am we never bought a mini van!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I had triplets awhile back so I can speak with some authority on the matter.

A suv will suck.

The only people who don't like minivans are people who haven't used or needed one.

Okay moving on.

We recently got a high trim Kia Sedona with like 18k miles for about $26k and we love it.

The Toyota Sienna was also nice, but a bit more expensive.
It could depend on if you keep a vehicle until the wheels fall off.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Toyota or Honda.

Don't let anyone talk you into a SUV.  A van is more practical and easier with young kids and older adults as well.  

If our Odyssey didn't get smoked in an accident we'd still be driving it.
View Quote

Same thing had a Honda and that thing could carry a ton of shit in it only big fix was the torque converters @120,000 miles

We were stoped at stop light he had to be going at lease 45mph

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Congrats OP!
We have five kids, and early on we had mini vans, but around three to four kids you really outgrow them.
The kids will fit, but there's no room for all the other stuff.
Twins means double strollers, bigger baby bag, etc
Not sure how old your other two are, but in reality you'll only be able to haul the kids and their stuff. Forget about getting groceries, etc

And trips? Fuggedaboudit. No room for luggage.
We moved up to Suburbans, and were much happier.

The mileage isn't much better in the minivans. Smaller engines working harder.
An older 'burb can be pretty affordable, and if you need to do anything you'll know how to do it.

They're also much safer than minivans. You're in OK, so I imagine you get ice and snow pretty regular.
A 4WD 'burb is peace of mind for the family when it's crappy out.
Just my two cents. You've got a lot on your mind, and it's an exciting time! I hope you find something affordable that fits your needs.
View Quote

My boys are 8 and 9 so they're getting out of the car seat Era and can get in and buckle themselves etc. Now we're starting over again

I've got 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4 crew cab pickups for bad weather or offroad, hauling or towing etc. Just looking for efficienct family transport to haul the family around for day to day stuff. We have had a couple Tahoes/Yukon before. Definitely not what we're looking for here.

Not gonna lie though some 4x4 Diesel Excursions are about the same price as some of these minivans and thats a little tempting but not really responsible
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I always rent a minivan when we take vacations.  Pacificas are my Van of choice.  New Sienna Hybrid was nice too but noisier than the gas V6 Pacifica.  Last one I drove was a Pacifica Hybrid.  I’m not a fan of hybrids but lemme tell you this thing had me sold.  It was fast off the line, quiet as fuck, and smoooooth.  Rarely noticed the gas engine kicking in.  

Power sliding doors are so goddamn awesome.  With my two kids and all our shit it just makes life a lot easier.  Currently my wife and I both drive Toyota Highlanders but have considered a minivan for years.  And nobody gives a shit what you drive, so the minivan stigma is bullshit.  Those who know anything know how badass today’s minivans are.

Just go rent one and drive it for a weekend with the kids.  Then you’ll know if it fits your needs or not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#47]
No used ones are a good idea, you need something with a great warranty, I've repaired way too many to advise anyone to buy a used one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Stow-N-Go is a No-Go with kids in car seats. Great if you're hauling kids not in Latched-in seats, or big cargo. Completely pointless if you're carrying babies.
View Quote

Idk wtf is different for yours, you cannot stow a baby seat, but you can still access the storage
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
get a full-size SUV
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Potato head in office already has that vehicle. He gives Nazi Piglousey a ride in his short. Reminds her of her youth.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top