BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Michio Kaku on Project Orion (interstellar spaceship)
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Show me the math.

How much fuel (fission/fusion) will a 1000 ton craft need to accelerate to 0.1C then decelerate to orbit another planet.

Once you have that calculated get back to us on the feasibility of your statement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have the technology to go .1C, and maybe .4C right now.
Show me the math.

How much fuel (fission/fusion) will a 1000 ton craft need to accelerate to 0.1C then decelerate to orbit another planet.

Once you have that calculated get back to us on the feasibility of your statement.
Also remember the acceleration and deceleration has to be within the human body's limits....so no super blasts of the engine....slow and easy.

This also brings up another issue. Say you accelerate or decelerate at 3G's for 24 hours. How will the human body handle that kind of prolonged force? Or will it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also remember the acceleration and deceleration has to be within the human body's limits....so no super blasts of the engine....slow and easy.

This also brings up another issue. Say you accelerate or decelerate at 3G's for 24 hours. How will the human body handle that kind of prolonged force? Or will it?
View Quote

In a liquid or gel acceleration couch, it might be survivable, probably better if they are unconscious during that period.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]
how long until Elon Musk gets tired and sells SpaceX to the Chinese? The chinese are our only real hope. The fucked up thing is they cannot come up with new technology, and we're too afraid to kill people to advance the cause.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I like this guys channel.  It's good stuff, once you can get past his speech impediment.

Interstellar Travel Challenges
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

* You could be right on the money. Modern conveniences which have become common enough could be considered supernatural to the uninitiated. Photographic images were thought to steal the subject’s soul by primitive tribes. What is mundane is to one is frightening to another. At some point, will we ourselves even be able to distinguish the difference between the two? Technology vs Supernatural or Technology is Supernatural.
View Quote
If everyone has a sense of entitlement, nothing gets done. Except a shit ton of bitching and blameshifting.

We are doomed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any spacecraft that leaves the solar system for the stars will have a shell of ice that might be miles thick, and provide hydrogen for fusion, oxygen for life, physical protection from radiation and impacts etc. Water is a great propellant. Any water source such as Europa or Ceres would suffice. Water is also plentiful in the universe and can be pretty reliably replenished. Whether you have nuclear powered platforms launching modular ice blocks into orbit or a pumping station sending liquid up a relatively short space elevator, there is nothing that needs much in the way of imagination to make that feasible. The iron and other minerals needed are up there too. An effective magnetic shield on that scale is feasible, a magnetic field generating satellite protecting mars has already been proposed. A true colony ship is only a matter of scale.

The large amount of mass that needs to be moved isn't a problem when the mass is also your fuel. Once you can achieve a gravity slingshot it is irrelevant.  The metal skinned craft are lifeboats. A constellation of satellites would give warning of objects that needed navigational separation.

I'm not seeing anything technologically challenging other than fusion technology that needs to mature. The rest is a matter of scale, time and will.

We can throw a few trillion in bitcoin at it to get started right? Who's with me?
View Quote
I'm tapped out, so I'll pass.
You and your bros go ahead, though.
P.S. I didn't throw anything at bitcoin.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are some large hurdles to jump before we can even discuss going extraterrestrial.
Energy- No current way to make large amounts of energy efficiently, we would need close to 1 to 1 conversion of mass to energy
Propulsion- all current propulsion requires ejected mass, and any of the current technologies that could sustain 1g acceleration would require to much fuel to be used.
Radiation- All of our space exploration w/humans so far has been in the protection of the earths magnetic field, any long term travel outside that field would require advanced....and heavy shielding
...and the thousand of other currently unobtainable things

Sadly I have a feeling that most of these problems may only be solved in science fiction
View Quote
Don't be a Debbie Downer- We should AT LEAST do feasibility studies, right? Should be good for a few hundred billion, right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Moon landing: Mercury, Gemini, Apollo. Government wrote a blank check to make it happen. No cost control.
Space Shuttle: Cost overruns amounting to, basically, an order of magnitude over original projections.

Interstellar travel: See above, x 10. Plus, expect leftists to use this as a pretext for world government.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The propulsion system to travel to other stars is a moot point, until we learn to live in a closed environment.

It is likely that the life support system would be a high percentage of the mass.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Show me the math.

View Quote
Since no one wants to address this I'll fill in the ugly details.

If you want to travel @ 0.1C (a rather slow speed if you're planning to get to the nearest star Proxima Centauri @ 4.2 light years) how much energy is needed to bring your craft to 0.1C?

At 0.1C standard Newtonian physics will give you a a very close kinetic energy number.  -

One kilogram of ship traveling @ 0.1C has 450,000,000   Mega Joules (MJ) of kenetic energy  (from here)

This amount of energy will be needed to accelerate each kilogram of the space ship to 0.1C

So how much energy is that?
For reference:
1 kg of U235 will yield 79,390,000 MJ with 100% fission efficiency.

1 kg of hydrogen will yield 335200000 MJ with 100% fusion efficiency.

1kg of ship will need 5.6x the total fission energy of 1kg Uranium and 1.3x the total fusion energy of 1kg hydrogen.

To accelerate each kilogram of ship to 0.1C will need 450,000,000 MJ, the equivalent energy of 5.6 kg of uranium fission.

If you want to slow down at your destination then you will need to expend the same amount as used to get to 0.1C.

How big of a ship will we need? To visit our nearest neighbor Proxima Centauri will be >40 years @0.1C
To establish a self sustaining colony this will require at lease one generation born in travel. We now need to build a generational ship.

As a WAG lets say 20 people at the start and assume they will need to grow/provide their own food for most of the trip. Plus once they get there they will need suitable supplies to establish a colony.

Another WAG, looking at some vessels. A Los Angeles class sub weighs ~6000 tons. A Cyclone-class patrol ship weighs 350 tons.  The International Space Station weighs 460 tons.

If we pick 500 tons for the ship (on the small side) then we can calculate the energy needed accelerate to 0.1C.
500 tons = 453590 kg
453590 kg x  450,000,000 MJ/kg  = the fission energy of 2540104 kilograms/2794 tons of uranium.

To get your 500 ton ship up to 0.1C will need the equivalent 2794 tons of uranium fuel.

That is just the deceleration half of the equation since on arrival your ship weighs 500 tons plus the weight of fuel to slow to a stop. In this case 2794 tons of uranium.
That dictates a payload weight of 500 tons plus 2794 tons of uranium assuming 100% fission and propulsion efficiency. Our payload to be accelerated to 0.1C is 3300 tons

We now need to calculate how much energy/fuel will be needed to accelerate 3300 tons to 0.1C.
3300 tons = 2993694 kg
2993694 kg x  450,000,000 MJ/kg  = the fission energy of 36882 tons of uranium fuel to get or ship to 0.1C.

Our 500 ton ship will need the equivalent of 39676 tons of uranium fuel at liftoff to land 500 tons on an exoplanet.
All this assuming uranium as the fuel and 100% energy efficiency. If you substitute hydrogen fusion the ship is lighter by ~ one third.

For the TLDR folks
The energy requirements to get even a small ship to an exoplanet at 0.1C are beyond anything we can do at this time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]
No

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. -
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Moon landing: Mercury, Gemini, Apollo. Government wrote a blank check to make it happen. No cost control.
Space Shuttle: Cost overruns amounting to, basically, an order of magnitude over original projections.

Interstellar travel: See above, x 10. Plus, expect leftists to use this as a pretext for world government.
View Quote
Hell, the op is, because that’s the only way to make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally I think we're at the dawn of a new space race.  Countries like China and India have set some fairly ambitious nationalistic goals for space and we have various commercial ventures coming online which I think is an important component.  Ultimately good old fashion selfishness, greed, and ambition will move us out into the solar system.

So I'd really like to see interplanetary nuclear impulse drives (Orion Project) moving around the solar system, and some self-sustaining colonies and commercial operations on some of the systems moons and planets.   As a species we'll need to master that before we head to other stars.

For organizations like NASA, I'd prefer that they keep directing their efforts on pure research.   Their unmanned science missions, and directing or conducting research into the various needed technologies.  I'd actually rather SpaceX or some other private venture colonize Mars, as apposed to relying on NASA to do that.   ...for all the reasons stated in a few of the comments above.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you want to travel @ 0.1C (a rather slow speed if you're planning to get to the nearest star Proxima Centauri @ 4.2 light years) how much energy is needed to bring your craft to 0.1C?

At 0.1C standard Newtonian physics will give you a a very close kinetic energy number.  -

One kilogram of ship traveling @ 0.1C has 450,000,000   Mega Joules (MJ) of kenetic energy  (from here)

This amount of energy will be needed to accelerate each kilogram of the space ship to 0.1C

For reference:

1kg of ship will need 5.6x the total fission energy of 1kg Uranium and 1.3x the total fusion energy of 1kg hydrogen.

To accelerate each kilogram of ship to 0.1C will need 450,000,000 MJ, the equivalent energy of 5.6 kg of uranium fission.

If you want to slow down at your destination then you will need to expend the same amount as used to get to 0.1C.

How big of a ship will we need? To visit our nearest neighbor Proxima Centauri will be >40 years @0.1C
To establish a self sustaining colony this will require at lease one generation born in travel. We now need to build a generational ship.

As a WAG lets say 20 people at the start and assume they will need to grow/provide their own food for most of the trip. Plus once they get there they will need suitable supplies to establish a colony.

Another WAG, looking at some vessels. A Los Angeles class sub weighs ~6000 tons. A Cyclone-class patrol ship weighs 350 tons.  The International Space Station weighs 460 tons.

If we pick 500 tons for the ship (on the small side) then we can calculate the energy needed accelerate to 0.1C.
500 tons = 453590 kg
453590 kg x  450,000,000 MJ/kg  = the fission energy of 2540104 kilograms/2794 tons of uranium.

To get your 500 ton ship up to 0.1C will need the equivalent 2794 tons of uranium fuel.

That is just the deceleration half of the equation since on arrival your ship weighs 500 tons plus the weight of fuel to slow to a stop. In this case 2794 tons of uranium.
That dictates a payload weight of 500 tons plus 2794 tons of uranium assuming 100% fission and propulsion efficiency. Our payload to be accelerated to 0.1C is 3300 tons

We now need to calculate how much energy/fuel will be needed to accelerate 3300 tons to 0.1C.
3300 tons = 2993694 kg
2993694 kg x  450,000,000 MJ/kg  = the fission energy of 36882 tons of uranium fuel to get or ship to 0.1C.

Our 500 ton ship will need the equivalent of 39676 tons of uranium fuel at liftoff to land 500 tons on an exoplanet.
All this assuming uranium as the fuel and 100% energy efficiency. If you substitute hydrogen fusion the ship is lighter by ~ one third.

For the TLDR folks
The energy requirements to get even a small ship to an exoplanet at 0.1C are beyond anything we can do at this time.
View Quote
This is the much-needed dose of simple Physics for this thread.

Here's what I expect in response:
-"But, muh Star Trek! Muh Captain Picard! Muh 'Go where no man has gone before!' Muh Warp Drive!"

-As an aside, doesn't anyone else think we should maybe put a fusion reactor together and demonstrate that it can be: efficient, stable, reliable, while it is firmly attached to the ground, before we try to build one in space and shoot it off to Alpha Centauri?

Anyway, carry on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I voted no because who cares. We likely won't survive all that long here much less anywhere else.  Where is the closest habitable planet?

Even if we find a way to travel very fast we would need a way to support life in far away planets without other planet support and over generations leap frog to further and further planets.

It might happen but we just as likely will cease to exist first.  I don't care which.  I want too live a full life.  That which happens after concerns me not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

-"But, muh Star Trek! Muh Captain Picard! Muh 'Go where no man has gone before!' Muh Warp Drive!"

-As an aside, doesn't anyone else think we should maybe put a fusion reactor together and demonstrate that it can be: efficient, stable, reliable, while it is firmly attached to the ground, before we try to build one in space and shoot it off to Alpha Centauri?

Anyway, carry on.
View Quote
I don't see anyone in the thread suggesting that we're going to build a USS Enterprise any time soon.

If you like a more technical abstract on the subject, here yah go:  http://www.space-nation.org/images/a/a1/Mini-Mag_Orion_and_superconducting_coils_for_near-term_interstellar_transportation_LenardAndrews.pdf

Here's George Dyson's book on the Orion Project:  Project Orion

Nuclear pulse drive is very much possible, with design variants achieving from .09C-.10C.   Currently this probably would be best utilized for interplanetary transport, with potential interstellar transportation down the road, if physics doesn't find a better way.

In any case this isn't a next few decades kind of aspiration,  it's more like a next century or two aspiration.  But a lot of the technology could be used to move robust heavy ships around the solar system.  Perhaps even  to move large asteroids should one be found coming our way.   It's definitely not something we should forget, or shelve.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Why not start small? Figure out basic long-term life support and fire someone off towards something. Perhaps send them to orbit Jupiter or just fly out of the solar system. Whatever. We'd get a couple decades of data to improve an Enterprise style build.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Personally I think we're at the dawn of a new space race.  Countries like China and India have set some fairly ambitious nationalistic goals for space and we have various commercial ventures coming online which I think is an important component.  Ultimately good old fashion selfishness, greed, and ambition will move us out into the solar system.
View Quote
 This is what it will take, to make it work long-term.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Anyway, carry on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reference:

500 tons = 453590 kg

3300 tons = 2993694 kg

For the TLDR folks

Anyway, carry on.
Dude, you've been shitting all over this thread for a while now.  While I realize it's fun to troll, the fact that one day, another dinosaur-killer asteroid will show up, guaranteed, or even a planetoid too big for us to move, does not seem like much of a joke to me.  If you have nothing more to contribute beyond moronic "Muh Picard!!!" mockery to what, to me, seems like rather a serious discussion, I'd appreciate it if you could at least keep your mouth shut.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't see anyone in the thread suggesting that we're going to build a USS Enterprise any time soon.

If you like a more technical abstract on the subject, here yah go:  http://www.space-nation.org/images/a/a1/Mini-Mag_Orion_and_superconducting_coils_for_near-term_interstellar_transportation_LenardAndrews.pdf

Nuclear pulse drive is very much possible, with design variants achieving from .09C-.10C.
 Currently this probably would be best utilized for interplanetary transport, with potential interstellar transportation down the road, if physics doesn't find a better way.

In any case this isn't a next few decades kind of aspiration,  it's more like a next century or two aspiration.  But a lot of the technology could be used to move robust heavy ships around the solar system.  Perhaps even  to move large asteroids should one be found coming our way.   It's definitely not something we should forget, or shelve.
View Quote
@Qweevox

Did you just ignore what I posted on the extreme energy/fuel requirements to get a ship to 0.1C?
Care to give a WAG on where we'll get 40,000 tons of U235 or plutonium to get a modest 500 ton ship to an exoplanet?
These are the very simple constraints put on us by the physics at hand.
It takes an enormous amount of energy to get to 0.1C, no way around that without involving science fiction.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
And this is where I stand on it.  This is something we need to keep working on, b/c when we need the technology, it would reeeeeeeeeeeally be nice if we have decades worth of research done, instead of months.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why not start small? Figure out basic long-term life support and fire someone off towards something. Perhaps send them to orbit Jupiter or just fly out of the solar system. Whatever. We'd get a couple decades of data to improve an Enterprise style build.
View Quote
I think the Moon and Mars are reasonable not-too-distant-future targets.  Then on to the Jovian system of moons and beyond.   I'd like to see a fleet of fast and robust interplanetary transports developed and deployed.

Going interstellar will require a lot of new technologies to be figured out.   Probably not the least of which is "us" and our own biology.   Dramatically increasing lifespans, effective hibernation technology, the singularity, and transhumanism, all of it could send us in new directions.   What might be possible boggles the mind, but who knows what will pan out, or which path we take.

One thing is certain.   Earth will not be habitable forever, and while we probably still have a lot of time, nothing in this universe is guaranteed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dude, you've been shitting all over this thread for a while now.  While I realize it's fun to troll, the fact that one day, another dinosaur-killer asteroid will show up, guaranteed, or even a planetoid too big for us to move, does not seem like much of a joke to me.  If you have nothing more to contribute beyond moronic "Muh Picard!!!" mockery to what, to me, seems like rather a serious discussion, I'd appreciate it if you could at least keep your mouth shut.  Thank you.
View Quote
Save it. Last large asteroid hit 66 million years ago. Research indicates that these events happen on a time scale of roughly 50-100 million years.
Yeah, one could hit next week, and another the week after.
But these events are WAY down the list of my concerns.
My concern is the cavalier way that people in this thread are using their completely subjective, emotional and non-scientific feels to justify spending trillions on something that hasn't the slightest basis in present reality. Dude.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Our physical limitations cause big problems but we should strive to solve those problems. Expanding our species into the universe should be a priority. The more deep space achievements we reach the faster we will evolve.

As fast as robotics and ai are improving that is probably our easiest route for space exploration. As our technology improves I think it is more likely if we encounter an alien civilization it will most likely be their ai.

We could also try to work around our limitations by finding an alternative to 3rd dimension exploration.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Save it. Last large asteroid hit 66 million years ago. Research indicates that these events happen on a time scale of roughly 50-100 million years.
My concern is the cavalier way that people in this thread are using their completely subjective, emotional and non-scientific feels to justify spending trillions on something that hasn't the slightest basis in present reality. Dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fair enough.  That is a valid concern: how likely is this vs. the $$$ it will cost to have a meaningful space program.  That I have zero problem with, as it's a very real part of the discussion.  What I'd appreciate is if you could put a hold on the sneering ridicule of those of us who see this as a very real concern, and something we need to start looking at now.  I love Star Trek; I have no illusions that technology is possible at this time.  At one time, going to the moon was the wildest Jules Verne science fiction; today, it's science fact.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anyway, carry on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reference:

500 tons = 453590 kg

3300 tons = 2993694 kg

For the TLDR folks

Anyway, carry on.
Why would anyone let a simple thing like the laws of physics get in the way of a good science fiction discussion?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Qweevox

Did you just ignore what I posted on the extreme energy/fuel requirements to get a ship to 0.1C?
Care to give a WAG on where we'll get 40,000 tons of U235 or plutonium to get a modest 500 ton ship to an exoplanet?
It takes an enormous amount of energy to get to 0.1C, no way around that without involving science fiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuclear pulse drive is very much possible, with design variants achieving from .09C-.10C.
 Currently this probably would be best utilized for interplanetary transport, with potential interstellar transportation down the road, if physics doesn't find a better way.

@Qweevox

If you limit yourself to using fission as a power source, sure, it stays in science fiction.

Any long term development of a civilization that is aiming for even just rapid transit within its own solar system is going to have figure out how, if it's possible, to use a large fraction of the stars energy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The same thing happens if we DO get into space, probability (luck) determining if that extends the timeline much longer.
View Quote
True, but putting all your eggs in one basket is still foolish.  You wouldnt take all your money and invest it in a single companies stock, and keep it there for the rest of time.  You diversify for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#31]
We've fucked this place up.
Locust on, humans....locust on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For the TLDR folks
View Quote
Yes, that's true. But if we're going to get anywhere, we need fusion engines to get around the solar system, both for reasons of technology, and to escape the stifling oppression that is coming on Earth so the spirit of freedom can survive. We need to focus on that first, worry about everything else later.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No

Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death. -
View Quote
And yet the Earth has 7 billion people, areas of desert that are now lush, and there are sprawling cities all over the globe. Whoever wrote that movie was a dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes, that's true. But if we're going to get anywhere, we need fusion engines to get around the solar system, both for reasons of technology, and to escape the stifling oppression that is coming on Earth so the spirit of freedom can survive. We need to focus on that first, worry about everything else later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the TLDR folks
Exploring and colonizing our solar system is both doable and prudent. Without a physics breakthrough getting people to another solar system is not doable.

I for one would love to see a probe go to Europa and look for signs of life.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#35]
...whether Orion will one day be resurrected as an anti-asteroid weapon is a question for the future, but the basic premise of the Orion project is as relevant today as it was in 1945. The inescapable fact is that we are still faced with is that we are operating at the limits of what chemical rockets can do.

To date, many of the efforts of scientists and engineers have essentially been workarounds for this problem. Slingshot orbits, miniaturization, lightweight alloys and composites, solar panels, robotics, autonomous systems – these are all ways of carrying out missions with as little mass as possible and cutting people out of the equation almost entirely after leaving the launch pad.

None of these address the fact that one day we will have to be able to move the sort of payloads that container ships do on the Earth's seas and to carry hundreds of people at a time from one planet to another – otherwise we will only ever be tourists in space. According to the inflexible laws of physics, that means that the next century or two must see the development of ships that can handle the kinds of energy that Orion used. If not a revamped version of Orion, then something that works on the same scale.

In the here and now, Orion still has relevance. Many of the things developed by Orion are still active programs. Much of it is still classified down to the titles of some reports. Even the declassified ones are buried so deep that when researchers ask NASA and other agencies that are supposedly the official curators of these reports for a look, they are often met with a denial of having them and a request to be sent of copy if the researcher finds one.

It's been sixty years since the Orion project began in the wake of Sputnik. Today, it's seen as a bizarre dream – as fantastic as Cyrano de Bergerac flying to the Moon in a chair with sky rockets strapped to it. But this fantasy was very much a thing of reality that died more from politics than engineering. It is also one that may well play a key role in the future of the human race as it expands its horizons to the stars.
View Quote
Good article :https://newatlas.com/orion-project-atom-bomb-spaceship/49454/
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I for one would love to see a probe go to Europa and look for signs of life.
View Quote
The gods would surely smite us!  Didn't you see the movie?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#37]
The Sea Dragon rocket is another 1960's proposal that would have been able to lift massive amounts of cargo into orbit.   One of the primary reasons the project never advanced was because we didn't have any use for that much cargo to be lifted into orbit at the time.   You could basically launch an entire space station worth of mass on one sea dragon.

The Biggest Rocket ever Designed? - The Sea Dragon

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
That, was utterly fascinating.  I've always wondered about atomic rockets, and why they couldn't be used; we really need more bounce-to-the-ounce than standard chemical rockets.  That article pretty well covers it:

One reason for the cancellation was that, though nuclear engines appeared promising, they suffered from one of the same problems as the chemical rockets. In order to be practical, they had to operate at the extreme limit of their design envelope. To heat the propellant, the reactor had to run at the peak of criticality where the heat was just below the point of melting the engine.
 Well, fuck.  That pretty well takes care of that.

Too bad we can't get the ORION-style ship into space b4 we pop the nukes; in outer space, all that radiation would be no more than a pimple on a frogs' butt.  It's the chicken-or-the-egg thing; too heavy to lift w/ conventional rockets, but the nuke blast in the atmosphere would be poisonous.  And the whole project would get the greenie idiots squealing like stuck pigs.

But, they sure are right about this:

None of these address the fact that one day we will have to be able to move the sort of payloads that container ships do on the Earth's seas and to carry hundreds of people at a time from one planet to another  otherwise we will only ever be tourists in space.
That is the key point: we've got to boost multiple tons of material off this rock, or find what we need already in space.  The "cosmic elevator" ideas are interdasting, tho I don't think anyone actually has a practical one on the drawing board anywhere.  We really need monomolecular filaments.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I voted no because who cares. We likely won't survive all that long here much less anywhere else.  Where is the closest habitable planet?

Even if we find a way to travel very fast we would need a way to support life in far away planets without other planet support and over generations leap frog to further and further planets.

It might happen but we just as likely will cease to exist first.  I don't care which.  I want too live a full life.  That which happens after concerns me not.
View Quote
I believe how our choices are judged by our children is more important than by our parents.

Any meaningful sense of morality has to extend beyond ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That, was utterly fascinating.  I've always wondered about atomic rockets, and why they couldn't be used; we really need more bounce-to-the-ounce than standard chemical rockets.  That article pretty well covers it:

Well, fuck.  That pretty well takes care of that.

Too bad we can't get the ORION-style ship into space b4 we pop the nukes; in outer space, all that radiation would be no more than a pimple on a frogs' butt.  It's the chicken-or-the-egg thing; too heavy to lift w/ conventional rockets, but the nuke blast in the atmosphere would be poisonous.  And the whole project would get the greenie idiots squealing like stuck pigs.

But, they sure are right about this:

That is the key point: we've got to boost multiple tons of material off this rock, or find what we need already in space.  The "cosmic elevator" ideas are interdasting, tho I don't think anyone actually has a practical one on the drawing board anywhere.  We really need monomolecular filaments.
View Quote
We could use a system like the Sea Dragon rocket to move the components of a construction/space port station into orbit, and then use the same system to construct an Orion type spacecraft to construct in orbit.   That would eliminate the needs for a 800-1000 nuclear explosions in the atmosphere.

The thing I like about an Orion spacecraft is that it's heavy and robust.   No need to save on weight, or use exotic materials.  In fact heavier is better.   A light Orion spacecraft isn't very efficient.  With a heavier design we don't have to worry as much about solar storms either.   We don't have to scrimp on living quarters, or support systems.   A fleet of Orion spacecraft would be very useful for exploring and colonizing this solar system.

And if nothing better comes along, it's at least possible to use it for interstellar transport.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s really good that you’re here to stop us from steering world leaders into disasterous spending sprees on the long term survival of the species. We are also reassured by the things you have no concern about personally. Keep sharing them.

In the meantime, I’m having fun here.

But while we are just discussing the supposed non-urgency of world ending events, we only recently figured out that a small pair of suns passed through the Solar System 70,000 years ago. Last year we had objects passing by the earth that we only detected days before. The events you refer to don’t happen in 60 million year cycles, they are rare but but happen at random times. Our clock running out is likely to be a surprise. The Solar System is littered with the debris of disaster. What are the most prominent features of the moons surface?  What kind of clue do you need that that we shouldn’t give some mind to this?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It’s really good that you’re here to stop us from steering world leaders into disasterous spending sprees on the long term survival of the species. We are also reassured by the things you have no concern about personally. Keep sharing them.

But while we are just discussing the supposed non-urgency of world ending events, we only recently figured out that a small pair of suns passed through the Solar System 70,000 years ago. Last year we had objects passing by the earth that we only detected days before. The events you refer to don’t happen in 60 million year cycles, they are rare but but happen at random times. Our clock running out is likely to be a surprise. The Solar System is littered with the debris of disaster. What are the most prominent features of the moons surface?  What kind of clue do you need that that we shouldn’t give some mind to this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think private industry will lead the way off the planet.  Political leaders, and governments, don't seem to deal with any problem, unless it affects their next election cycle or fund raising effort.  They kick the can until a crisis occurs and then they scramble.

An extinction level event is a low probability but high consequences for any given generation.  But one will eventually occur, and it probably won't telegraph an RSVP.  At best we'll probably only have weeks or months to prepare, and there's always the chance we have undiscovered party crasher show up.   Then of course there are the other things which might go wrong with our planet.

So, I'd like to get the conversation going.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't think most including myself understand the vastness and inhospitable environment of space.

Also, think of finding a hospitable planet and ask yourself  what microscopic organisms are there that we have no immunity to.  Think small pox in North America circa 1700.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't think most including myself understand the vastness and inhospitable environment of space.

Also, think of finding a hospitable planet and ask yourself  what microscopic organisms are there that we have no immunity to.  Think small pox in North America circa 1700.
View Quote
Or, will it be so alien that it wouldn't even know what to do with a human?  Just as we quite likely may not be able to eat anything living on an alien planet; our digestive systems wouldn't know what to do with it, if it wasn't out-and-out poisonous to humans.  Think of all the things we love to eat that are poison to dogs.  And that was a creature that evolved literally right next to us.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We could use a system like the Sea Dragon rocket to move the components of a construction/space port station into orbit, and then use the same system to construct an Orion type spacecraft to construct in orbit.   That would eliminate the needs for a 800-1000 nuclear explosions in the atmosphere.

The thing I like about an Orion spacecraft is that it's heavy and robust.   No need to save on weight, or use exotic materials.  In fact heavier is better.   A light Orion spacecraft isn't very efficient.  With a heavier design we don't have to worry as much about solar storms either.   We don't have to scrimp on living quarters, or support systems.   A fleet of Orion spacecraft would be very useful for exploring and colonizing this solar system.

And if nothing better comes along, it's at least possible to use it for interstellar transport.
View Quote
Amen.  You can carry more radiation shielding, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you did a little looking into NewSpace, you would see that most of the space development in the next 50 years will be private sector. And unless they start cutting entitlements, gov space will never use more than a fraction of them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So, I'd like to get the conversation going.
View Quote
Getting humanity out into the Solar system can provide mitigation for most Earth-extinction events.
And being able to live in free space with no gravity well and in a closed ecology is prerequisite for any attempt at interstellar.

I know speculating on interstellar is fun and all, but we have serious baby steps to make before that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The thing I like about an Orion spacecraft is that it's heavy and robust.   No need to save on weight, or use exotic materials.  In fact heavier is better.   A light Orion spacecraft isn't very efficient.  With a heavier design we don't have to worry as much about solar storms either.   We don't have to scrimp on living quarters, or support systems.   A fleet of Orion spacecraft would be viery useful for exploring and colonizing this solar system.

View Quote
Nevermind the radioactivation of metals in space...
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've been thinking similar. Other than getting enough manufacturing capacity to become self-replicating out of Earth's gravity well there isn't any big technological hurdle between where we are and a fully realized type-2 civilization. AI, automation, additive manufacturing, fission and ion/plasma drives are all we really need. Ceres has enough water to power our endeavors until we get to Kuiper. Falcon architecture is probably enough heavy-lift to pull it off if the tech we need to launch is efficient enough.

I think we'll be really rolling on space industry beyond LEO in 50 years, which is good because I don't think we have 1000 years to get started as another poster did, things will go really wrong in that much time without a frontier, we'll lose too much of what's really valuable and rare on Earth too.

I don't remember where I read it but somebody wrote about using a moon or minor planet as an interstellar vehicle back in the 70's, to try to solve the collision/radiation problem. There was a lot of fun stuff going on back when people believed the shuttle was going to get us to cheap heavy lift. The amazing thing is how much easier a lot of those ideas would be to implement with current or near-future tech.
View Quote
The key to snowballing the space economy is cheap access to space. The SpaceX BFR is that, it's what the space shuttle should have been.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In a liquid or gel acceleration couch, it might be survivable, probably better if they are unconscious during that period.
View Quote

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top