Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
He might have a physical condition that makes it hard for him to use them anymore and didn't feel like going over his medical history with a stranger.

I know guys with forearm and arthritist issues that have difficult firing guns.  My great grandfather loved hunting, but once he got into his 90's all he could do was hang with us at deer camp and sit in the woods (he still loved it).  

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Like 60s probably? Like recently retired but not super old.

Exposing people to the joys of class III stuff is really the best charity.

Definitely no harm and that's a good point could be a social outlet for him. He's a regular and talked to everyone who shot his stuff for a few minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define “older guy” please.  Like in his 70’s/80’s?

Like 60s probably? Like recently retired but not super old.

Quoted:
Maybe he's already shot hundreds of thousands of rounds himself, and is paying it forward to get others hooked on the most expensive drug on the planet.  

Exposing people to the joys of class III stuff is really the best charity.

Quoted:
He sounds cool and he’s enjoying doing it so where is the harm. He may have no friends, may be single and that is his only interaction

Definitely no harm and that's a good point could be a social outlet for him. He's a regular and talked to everyone who shot his stuff for a few minutes.

Just think;
If he has no dependents, or family members who share in his interests in firearms, maybe if you took the time to get to know him, and become friends, he might leave all that stuff to you, in his Will
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, one of my favorite range memories was being there blasting with my AR when a dad and his ~12yo kid showed up with their hunting rifle. The kid was really interested in my AR, kinda lingering around watching me shoot. I asked the dad if it was OK if he shot it. The kid was happier than a pig in shit. So I get it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:]

ETA- OP, it seems like you’re being a bit ungracious about a guy who let you shoot a full-auto MP5.
View Quote

That was my take
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dude! You probably don't feed guests to your house do you? Some people are fortunate enough to have cool toys and it makes them happy to share.
View Quote

Well, there was a GD thread about inviting people over for dinner, then giving them a bill
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I can relate.
I love shooting my “giggle machines” as I call my black powder revolvers. But I love seeing other people shoot them and get that shit eating grin on their face even more.
And when my nephews are at my range, I’d rather see them shoot and enjoy it than shoot myself.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I often invite younger shooters over especially if i have something historic or cool for them to shoot and I see them admiring. But just a mag or two. Getting to fry out other shooters guns is always fun!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly, one of my favorite range memories was being there blasting with my AR when a dad and his ~12yo kid showed up with their hunting rifle. The kid was really interested in my AR, kinda lingering around watching me shoot. I asked the dad if it was OK if he shot it. The kid was happier than a pig in shit. So I get it.
View Quote

I had similar when put shooting with a buddy at a pit in the woods. We rolled up and asked a guy with half a dozen kids if we could share the pit and shoot with them. They said sure.

I think we had a couple ARs, a PPSh, Enfield and probably something else I was working on. One of the ARs had a 22LR kit and a binary trigger. Needless to say, we went through about 1200+ends of 22LR that day and my buddy and I were basically bleeding from the thumbs reloading mags for those kids. Turned out one of the kids was the son of the guy and the rest were his kid's friends. They were from Portland and none of the other kids parents would ever approve of them going out shooting. They probably still talk about that day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This guy shooting targets of himself.

This guy shooting deer with no camo on
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Was at range this weekend guy next to us had a nice silenced ar in 5.56 offered it to us to try I have shot them before was cool but my cousins being a new shooter I told him take the opportunity he did.

He now wants a silencer too but told him he needs the rifle first lol. I have been lucky to be near ones shooting full auto and when they say wanna try it in right there and that’s been some fun stuff.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
when I drag my 50BMG rifle out to the range, I usually let all the people in the neighboring benches a free round as a thanks for letting me abuse them with the muzzle blast.

puts a "50 cal grin" on just about every one of them.
View Quote

Yup. Most will never own one. The first shot always gets everyone's attention, followed by, "Whoa... is that a .50?!". "Yep. Wanna take a shot?".

Most jump at the chance. A couple people have declined even though I could see that they wanted to. I think the big-bada-boom and recoil is what scares them from trying it, even though they really want to.

The only gun I have, that I don't immediately offer to let someone shoot when they ask what it is, is the .375CT. Can't even find the darned  .375CT Sierra Matchkings to reload.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was at range this weekend guy next to us had a nice silenced ar in 5.56 offered it to us to try I have shot them before was cool but my cousins being a new shooter I told him take the opportunity he did.

He now wants a silencer too but told him he needs the rifle first lol. I have been lucky to be near ones shooting full auto and when they say wanna try it in right there and that's been some fun stuff.
View Quote
Used Oil Filter, Back Yard,  - Grins.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like a cool guy actually.
View Quote

Yeah. OP is the strange one
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that join date, the OP is likely a young 'un. Older folks who've been in the hobby a while can understand the old guy's mentality. Younger ones don't have the experience yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
When I first started going to the local range on open night.  I didn't own any guns to speak of.  I just went to hang out.  I got to shoot lots of different guns.  It was really cool.  And it got me hooked.   This was close to 30 years ago.

It made an impression on me for sure.  

One of the last times I went to a public range.  Some guys had a F/A MP5.   I took my MP40 down to them and asked them if they wanted to shoot an old school German Sub gun.   They enjoyed the heck out of it.

I had an older gentleman approach me and ask if I was the owner of the MP40.  He said that it was one of his favorite WWll guns.  I asked if he wanted to run a mag.  He jumped at the chance!  

Sharing is caring!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of my best days in the pasture I barely shoot. Just spot for the kids and grandkids. Pull out some of my expensive toys and let the family enjoy them.  After all, my toys will eventually be their toys.

My son in law with one of my rifles:

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some of my best days in the pasture I barely shoot. Just spot for the kids and grandkids. Pull out some of my expensive toys and let the family enjoy them.  After all, my toys will eventually be their toys.

My son in law with one of my rifles:

https://i.postimg.cc/051Z4DNt/9-E6918-DE-AE12-4432-839-E-5-E0-D1036-C95-A.jpg
View Quote
That is just freaking cool
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If his guns do to his arthritis what my .30-30 does to mine, I can understand his sentiment.
These days it's mostly rim fire, with just a few .223s for shits an giggles.

Gettin' old sucks donkey dicks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I let others shoot it and I don't mind.

Fleming G-3, SWD m11 and my SGW RR ar15.

I enjoy watching others shoot it and putting a smile on their faces.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guys with autos can be pretty sharing

My favorites are SOTs with a MP5 pack that will let me drop it in my SD for a shoot
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like you accidentally joined one of those gay beat up clubs.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've had people offer to let me shoot stuff at the range before.

I chalked it up to the generosity of gun nuts, without dragging weird sexual fetishes into it. But that's just me.
View Quote
This.  Most people will never get a chance to shoot a full auto gun.  Sounds like he likes giving people that opportunity.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A lot of people get lonely as they get older. He’s probably shot thousands of rounds through them and has a huge ammo fort at home. What he doesn’t have is friends/human interaction. So what he does is brings them to the range and gets a chance to interact and bring joy to others.
View Quote

This is the kinda sad part a lot of folks appear to be missing.

No longer being able to physically handle shooting some of your own stuff, is one thing, but I'd bet the majority of arfcommers in that situation simply leave the gun languishing in their safe.

Inviting family, friends coworkers etc. to the range, and bringing your toys for them to try, is also different.

Hauling a bunch of your guns and ammo to the range, solely to let random folks shoot them (OP stared that the old guy said he had no plans on shooting his own stuff), is another. It is likely indicative of loneliness, and not having other folks in his life to share his passion/hobbies with.

Even the NFA owners who will happily allow random folks to try shooting their toys, generally invite people they know, to go shooting, and if strangers happen to be around and showing interest, they'll generously offer to let them try it. But hauling your firearms and ammo to the range with no intention of shooting any of them yourself, just to give random strangers the opportunity to shoot them? How many GD'ers have ever done that?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#25]
When I first started attending Knob Creek there was a guy like this letting people shoot his full-auto AR down on the small arms range.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I  love teaching people how to shoot more than shooting my self. Especially if I can teach a woman or teenager to enjoy shooting.

I took a nephew out when he was 15, he went through 700 rounds that day.  I did stop loading magazines for him.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Sometimes it's just nice being around and interacting other human beings,he might not have many people left in his life
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like my dad

He would get a bigger kick out of watching others. From MGs to the Hueys and tanks,  he always was free with the Ammo and fuel
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Not that I have any MG's, but I often have more fun watching other people shoot than me personally squeezing the trigger.  I'd imagine the feeling is similar for that guy. It's also likely that he has enough money where a few hundred in ammo isn't even a blip on his radar. Sounds like a rad dude to me. Can you drop a pin to me for this range?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh, I've let people at the range shoot my stuff if they come over looking or asking about it.

'There comes a time, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison...'
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#32]
If this wasn't a completely bullshit story, I'd probably take him up on his offer to shoot his MP5. But this is a complete bullshit story, and you left out the part of your fantasy where the two of you went back to his place to play with trains and eat fake crab meat
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was minding my business shooting and an older guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to shoot anything in his selection. I said sure, I'll see if I have ammo for anything he has and he told me
I could use his ammo. At this point, none of this seems strange to me. His collection consisted of multiple transferrable machine guns and a SCAR17 with a CQB barrel on it.

I shot a mag through his F/A MP5 and went back to my business. I periodically would look over and not once did I see him shoot his very expensive collection of guns. In fact, all he was doing was
letting other people shoot them, men only. He easily plowed through 500-700 dollars worth of ammunition letting people shoot his guns.

I finally got curious enough and went over to ask him what the deal was. I asked him if he was ever gonna shoot his guns himself and he says "oh no, I mostly come here to watch people use my guns. I like
seeing people's faces when they run em hard, especially the full auto ones."

I told him I thought it was kinda strange but I'm sure everyone appreciated being able to rip some mags through a machine gun or a high-end gun. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is gun cuckoldry a real thing?
I hope this wasn't some sort of skit for a gun InFlUeNCeR. I didn't see him actually shoot his own guns once.

To any possible gun cucks on here, I don't mean any offense I am just trying to understand this new subset of gun culture I've apparently discovered.
View Quote

Wife said that is how you get DNA on your guns for doing something dirty later lol
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#34]
As long as he didn’t hand you some calipers and ask if you wanted to measure where the third hole is, I wouldn’t think too hard about it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#35]
He probably has a hundreds of thousands  of rounds of ammunition and  wants to get rid of it in a nice way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like you got a gift, and here you are looking it in the mouth.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#38]
There was a guy shooting a suppressed 50 at my range the other day. I was hoping he would gun cuck me. I’ve never shot a 50
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm 72, have about 100 WWI/II guns, last count had 40k rounds of ammo, family not interested in any of it. I'll take 5-10 guns to the range (private), shoot a while, then anyone who wants to can shoot them as long as the ammo lasts. Have had some really great times.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I suspect this didn't go the way OP thought it would.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Guy has more money than he can possibly spend and just likes spreading joy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#42]
The dude is what is called a pleasure dom.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm 72, have about 100 WWI/II guns, last count had 40k rounds of ammo, family not interested in any of it. I'll take 5-10 guns to the range (private), shoot a while, then anyone who wants to can shoot them as long as the ammo lasts. Have had some really great times.
View Quote
You sir are a dying breed and I appreciate you very much.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#44]
As an owner of transferables it’s not uncommon for other people to shoot my machine guns more than I do. Watching the joy it brings them is totally worth it. I’m a cheap bastard so I make them provide their own ammo. But I know MG owners who only let people shoot their ammo because they’re worried about damaging their guns with a bad reload or low quality remanufactured ammo.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have any NFA stuff but I do have a few unusual things in my collection, so anytime someone new is going to the range with me I offer to bring anything they would like to shoot. I usually don't expect them to provide ammo, especially something unusual - as an example, no one else I know even has a gun in .460 S&W (a gun which almost no one ever wants to shoot more than once).

I have let random people at the range shoot some of my guns, like one guy shot his first ever revolver thanks to me, just an S&W 617. I usually don't carry a lot of guns when I go, somewhere less than 10 (out of over 200 I own), but I go almost every weekend.

And I have benefitted the from the same. I assembled a 7.62x39mm AR and bought my CETME-L clone, A Sig P238, a CZ75 and several others after some people let me shoot theirs at the range.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#46]
He's probably lonely and this is the only social interaction he gets.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#47]
What the heck is wrong with you Op?

Are people who let you in driving in traffic car cucks?

You must be the bull of everything.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Collecting fingerprints...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top